PDA

View Full Version : Lang (concussion) and Clifton don't practice; Barbre at LT

mission
12-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Lang suffered a concussion at practice today. Clifton is out and slowed with a hamstring and Barbre took reps with the first team at LT.

We could be fucked. Rough day at practice today (Thursday).

(How does a lineman get a concussion?)

EDIT - Clifton was out of practice today, it's unclear if he'll play Monday. Just to clarify my "out" comment.

bobblehead
12-04-2009, 08:45 PM
good lord, just as we seem to be righting the ship we are going to have to suffer through allen fucking babre again.

mission
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
good lord, just as we seem to be righting the ship we are going to have to suffer through allen fucking babre again.

hopefully clifton can go... but him with a bad hammy is well... a slow dude who's even slower...

sigh

hoosier
12-04-2009, 09:39 PM
The Ravens are a little banged up on D as well: Suggs has been hurt and might not play, Ngata has a bad ankle and isn't as mobile as usual. Suggs against Barbre would be a good reason to run the ball 40+ times.

KYPack
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
That is some seriously bad news, Mish.

What IS Barbre's position? He can't play LG, RG, RT. So he's our choice at LT?

We could be in a heap a shit.

Partial
12-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Rob Demovsky said that Clifton went through the media session and was a full participant. He said he'd be utterly shocked if he didn't play on Monday.

Not saying you're wrong. They only see part of practice, so who knows. He said this on WSSP at like 5:30ish coming home from work.

pbmax
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
JSO had Lang suffering the concussion Thursday during practice. They were in shells, not pads.

McCarthy must be toughening up practices. Pads and tackling on Friday. That hasn't happened in a long time esp. if it was actual live tackling.

EDIT: Apparently not live tackling. Lumpkin and Thompson met in a hole without warning and Lump's shoulder hit the Thomspon's helmet.

mission
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Rob Demovsky said that Clifton went through the media session and was a full participant. He said he'd be utterly shocked if he didn't play on Monday.

Not saying you're wrong. They only see part of practice, so who knows. He said this on WSSP at like 5:30ish coming home from work.

What does full participation mean in this case ?? I'm not saying Barbre is going to start at LT on Monday night, just that he got the majority of reps today.

Maybe that's just precautionary due to Clifton's age and status this year but it's more concerning that we won't have Lang as a security blanket. He's tops in the fourth quarter when we're (hopefully) grinding it out.

Partial
12-04-2009, 11:28 PM

What does full participation mean in this case ?? I'm not saying Barbre is going to start at LT on Monday night, just that he got the majority of reps today.

Maybe that's just precautionary due to Clifton's age and status this year but it's more concerning that we won't have Lang as a security blanket. He's tops in the fourth quarter when we're (hopefully) grinding it out.

I don't think they'll start Barbre either, the thing that is confusing to me was Demovsky said on WSSP that Clifton was a full participant and he'd be shocked if he didn't play.

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Barbre got his chance....tons of pressures/sacks of RT. Thank god Tauchy came back and solidified that RT with him on the bench. With Barbre starting, that throws our whole O in wack, as ARod will be running for his life again. I know I'm down on the Arod sack thing, but Barbre was a HUGE contributing factor to those pressures. Damn it all.

Guiness
12-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Barbe at LT worries the crap out of me. I can't believe they would every seriously consider having him protect Arod's blind side. Can you say dead man walking?

My guess as to why he was taking reps there is that they know Clifton or Lang will be ready to go, and he was a warm body in that spot, instead of moving Colledge over, as he would be the emergency starter.

Pugger
12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh NO. We don't need this. *sigh* I have a bad feeling about Monday night now. :cry:

pbmax
12-05-2009, 09:55 AM
JSO and McGinn have Clifton a full go, without looking limited, during the media available portion of the practice on Friday. He has looked fine all week, even when he was rehabbing after the walk/jog through.

Barbre got reps in place of the normal backup Lang Friday. This was the first indication something was wrong with Lang, before the report of his concussion. If Lang can't go, Barbre is primary backup at two tackle positions.

McCarthy has said its not definite Clifton is a go, but there have not been any setbacks that the JSO have seen (or reported), so they believe he will be starting. Clifton was limited Thursday, but that was the plan.

Demovsky (GBPG), in what appears to be a report about Friday's practice said Clifton was limited and then later adds he got every rep in the public portion of practice. He doesn't source it, so the limited tidbit must have come from the team PR or McCarthy. McCarthy was quoted as saying Saturday is the big day for Clifton.

Brandon494
12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Oh NO. We don't need this. *sigh* I have a bad feeling about Monday night now. :cry:

No crying in football!

Clifton will be ready to go, also they wont have Suggs and from what I heard Reed is banged up as well.

ND72
12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
(How does a lineman get a concussion?)

I suffered a lot of concussions. In fact my senior year of high school, I rarely remembered playing in a game I would hit people so hard. I actually broke 2 helmets. My college trainer said from viewing my scans he thinks I probably had 3 or 4 concussions in high school, and i had 2 more in college. My first ever concussion I was actually trapping a guy, and he purposely "speared" my head with the crown of his helmet...knocked me out cold.

Maxie the Taxi
12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
A rookie missing a game because he got a concussion...in PRACTICE!!!!

Give me a break.

Lombardi would have flushed the demons from his head in a split second.

Pretty soon half of NFL team staffs are going to be doctors.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Give me a break.

That's why Willie Wood can't remember his name...

Maxie the Taxi
12-05-2009, 10:47 AM

Give me a break.

That's why Willie Wood can't remember his name...

I don't think it's a proven cause/effect. Even old ladies who never left the house get Alzheimers.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Research has proven a very high rate of Alzheimers/dementia among players who've had multiple concussions. It's why some players have donated their brains to science (hopefully waiting until they're not using them anymore).

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Research has proven a very high rate of Alzheimers/dementia among players who've had multiple concussions. It's why some players have donated their brains to science (hopefully waiting until they're not using them anymore).

If Torrance Marshall has donated his, science can studying it right away as he never uses it.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM

If Torrance Marshall has donated his, science can studying it right away as he never uses it. :lol: That could be said for a few of these guys...

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes, but Torrance Marshall was a man amongst boys in that department.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Torrance Marshall donated his brain to science years ago

:rs:

Hey, I tell ya, Torrance Marshall donated his brain to science but they said "Take it back!"

:rs:

http://www.bluntpencil.com/Rodney-Dangerfield.gif

pbmax
12-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I am going to get the numbers wrong (EDIT: Instead of wrong, went back to the source - it is second hand) but I think the scale is correct. A study of college (D1) practices put accelerometers in the equipment of players for practice and found that lineman regularly exceed impacts of more than 20 Gs mulitple times in practice and in games.

Bigger, less frequent collisions during tackling reach 100 G's: (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/200909/nfl-players-brain-dementia-study-memory-concussions?currentPage=4&printable=true)

"Look, there was a seminal study published by the University of Oklahoma two years ago. They put accelerometers, which measure acceleration, in the helmets of University of Oklahoma players. And they documented the g-force. So we know the g-force for a football player being knocked out is about sixty to ninety g’s. To compare, a fighter pilot will pass out at five or six g’s, but that’s over a long period of time. These football g-forces are just a few milliseconds, very brief—boom! And they found that in the open field, the dramatic cases of a receiver getting blindsided is about one hundred g’s. It knocks them out. Very dramatic, everybody sees it. But the linemen? They were actually getting twenty to thirty g’s on every play. Because they start out and they bang heads. Every play."

Julian Bailes was a team doctor for the Pittsburgh Steelers and has formed The Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute, affiliated with West Viginia University and Johns Hopkins University.

pbmax
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
From Bedard at JSO:

Clifton is probable, Thompson is OK and out of the hospital and it may be possible he suits up. Tests were negative.

Barbre only player questionable outside of Thompson.

Obiozor might get promoted after a good couple of practices to take a spot on the roster.

hoosier
12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
From Bedard at JSO:

Clifton is probable, Thompson is OK and out of the hospital and it may be possible he suits up. Tests were negative.

Barbre only player questionable outside of Thompson.

Obiozor might get promoted after a good couple of practices to take a spot on the roster.

Lang questionable too (see last line of Bedard blog). If Lang can't go that means Barbre is backup LT. :shock: :shock: :shock: