PDA

View Full Version : Latest Green Bay Packers Fan Q&A with Mike Vandermause

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 12:45 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091204/PKR01/91204173/1058/PKR01/Packers-fan-Q&A--Too-much-rest-since-Thanksgiving

Q: Is there such a thing as getting too much time off? Are there any concerns about the Packers possibly becoming a little complacent over the long time off?

Vandermause: It’s possible a team could come out flat after an extended period of down time. But by and large, well-rested teams perform better. The Packers have posted a 7-3 record following bye weeks during the past decade.

Q: Does Mike McCarthy need to make a special teams coaching change?

Vandermause: I’m not ready to throw Shawn Slocum under the bus. The Packers have struggled in this area and must improve. Let’s see how the final month plays out. I know people were calling for James Campen’s head earlier this season when the offensive line was giving up sacks galore. Now that things have settled down on the line, the critics have been silent.

Q: How much of the success of the Vikings do you attribute to Brett Favre this season? They were already a playoff team. The Ravens make that last-second field goal and take away the miracle throw against the 49ers and the Vikings are 8-3.

Vandermause: Favre has made a huge difference. Last year, the Vikings were a one-and-done playoff qualifier. This season, they are one of the two best teams in the NFC and have legitimate Super Bowl aspirations. I don’t think you can simply dismiss the miracle throw against the 49ers. Few quarterbacks in the NFL could make that throw. Putting Favre on some run-of-the-mill team wouldn’t matter as much. But combining Favre’s passing skills with Adrian Peterson’s running ability has created nightmares for defensive coordinators. Look at the two Packers-Vikings games this season as a prime example. Dom Capers schemed to stop Peterson but in doing that, he left the door open for Favre. Had Capers attempted to stop Favre, Peterson would have run roughshod over the Packers. It’s a pick-your-poison deal, which is why Favre has found the perfect home. I was critical of Brad Childress for bending over backward to allow Favre to return in the middle of training camp, but right now, the Vikings’ coach looks like a genius.

----------------------------

Hope most of ya read Snake's last article with Mike, but his dude is a moron.

Snake's Take:

-The time-off thing...that's fine. I agree.
-Slocum is not fine. Our ST is SOOOO bad. Near the bottom of the league in many categories, and he defends Campen? Wow. A healthy Tauch and Cliffy helped out bigtime, albeit old stand-ins....yet Campy couldn't spot talent if he had a bagel with talent spread all over it for breakfast. Langy is a deece young guy, who I hope starts next year, but Campy had many seasons and is toast, as is Slocum. Both are terrible talent/scheme coaches in any way you look at it. Terrible.
-Snake is mostly critical of the two things keeping us from greatness....Mike's positive outlook on ST and OL. Just ridiculous....maybe that the HC's fault, but those guys (Slocum and Campy need to go). But the Favre thing...I agree. He's beasting under Bevell.