PDA

View Full Version : Woe is the Green Bay Packers or Is that really the case?

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 02:20 PM

Woe is the Green Bay Packers

The Green Bay Packers are about to open training camp and if you listen to the national media, you have to wonder why even bother? The Packers are pretty much ranked as the worst team in the NFL destined to a 3-13 or 4-12 season. They don't have an offense, a defense, or special teams. Their quarterback is washed up and the defense works with mirrors.

It is really amazing how a guy who works in Boston or New York or L.A. and sees maybe one Packer game a year can come to these conclusions. It's like me writing a column on NBA basketball. I watch a couple of games a year, so I'm qualified as media expert. Well, the Packers will get there revenge. In a weak NFC North division, the Packers are clearly in the mix. Here are my reasons why.

The Chicago Bears.

The mighty Bears are defending division champs who got whipped in their own stadium in the first round of the playoffs. The Carolina Panthers shredded their vaunted defense. The Bears were so concerned about that loss that in an attempt to get better they did nothing. That's right. Nothing! The Bears return all 22 starters from a mediocre team. In this day and age, if you are returning 22 starters you are losing ground. Even Super Bowl champions have new starters each year. The Bears are about to learn a lesson. I won't even get into their draft because they didn't really participate. If you are not getting better you are getting worse. The Bears are getting worse.

The Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings have a chance to be competitive, but a lack of a quarterback will doom them in the end. Brad Johnson is older than Brett Favre for crumps sakes! Johnson can throw a mean screen, however, so the Vikings should be able to get some yards on third and long. They don't have a running game and the defense was horrible last year. Former Packer Darren Sharper made is annual three big plays mixed amongst mistakes, injuries, and missed tackles. The addition of Ryan "it was the holder" Longwell only adds to the Vikings problems.

The Detroit Lions.

What a proud franchise. Their general manager Matt Millen couldn't spell "win" if you spotted him the "w" and the "n." How this guy still has a job is beyond pretty much everybody in the NFL. The only thing worse than the firing of Wayne Fontes was the hiring of Millen. This guy has run the franchise into the ground and now his hopes lie in a former defensive line coach who wasn't considered head coaching material by any of the other teams looking for a head coach last offseason. Rod Marinelli? Good luck with that one. The players already complained about his drill sergeant approach that got the team penalized by the NFL for offseason practice activities.

The Green Bay Packers.

The Packers clearly have the best quarterback in the division, last season not withstanding. Favre still has the arm and ability, but like any great player, he needs players around him. He didn't go to two Super Bowls with third-string players around him like he had last year. Favre will have a good season this year and 30 touchdown passes are distinct possibility again.

The Packers will have an improved running game because of the emphasis of the new coaching staff and reinstatement of the basic West Coast offense that Favre excelled in earlier in his career. The last few years under head coach Mike Sherman Favre pretty much called the shots, from the offseason to the practice field to the game. That all changed when Mike McCarthy took over and the fact that Favre still wanted to come back says much about his will to win. If he stays healthy for the whole season for remarkable 15th time in a row, the Packers will return to the playoffs.

Last year the Bears' defense finished second in the NFL and on a downslide, the Packers finished seventh in the NFL and climbing. In the offseason the Packers improved at defensive line, linebacker, and cornerback. That gap has been closed.

I predict the Packers will win at least 10 games this year and win the division title. Alright, let me have it.

By Al Davis
Email Me at: mailto:packernet@gmail.com

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 02:22 PM
TC this evening and we are on OUR way.

Tony Oday:

I'll drink some of that Kool-aid today and applaud Al Davis's prediction.

Let's get it on Packers !!!!!!!

Oscar
07-28-2006, 02:52 PM
There are so many articles out there.. In the end no one really knows whats gonna happen. I think we have just as much a chance as anyone right now. After all... Every team in the NFL has a perfect record. :smile: I'm really looking forward to seeing our team at the start of the season.

PackerTimer
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
his opinion is every bit as logical and possible as those opinions that the Packers will be terrible based on lasts years injury plagued season or those opinions saying the Packers didn't add enough in the offseason convienently disregarding Manual, Pickett, and Woodson.

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 03:18 PM
10-5-1. as another al davis said "just win baby."

bbbffl66
07-28-2006, 04:17 PM
Hard to see 10 wins. Unless rookie O-linemen can learn impossibly fast, run game will struggle even with the new zone blocking. Double Driver and let Fergie or a Rookie or an underachiever beat you. I hope I'm wrong, but without a good o-line we are toast.

PackerPro42
07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
WoodBuck, you really have to make your posts shoter. I get really impacient reading them.

son of a vic
07-28-2006, 09:07 PM
So winning the division and getting pummeled in the play-offs is o.k. if it's the Packers. But when the Bears do it, that makes their season a failure. Sounds like a double "K-aid" standard to me.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Who said the Bears were failures last year?

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 01:10 AM
WoodBuck, you really have to make your posts shoter. I get really impacient reading them.

Read what you can before you start coming apart and take a break!

Soup and a sandwich.

I don't edit articles . . .can't. . . won't . . . sorry , LIFE IS HARD. :mrgreen:

NewsBruin
07-29-2006, 02:44 AM
<<The Green Bay Packers are about to open training camp and if you listen to the national media, you have to wonder why even bother?>>

I'm sure there are writers and broadcasters out there who are predicting a losing season for Green Bay, but would you mind naming them, and maybe taking a for/against count of their opinion about the Pack?

I never bought into the "us against the world" mentality, no matter who it concerns. I bet every team in the NFL could fill pages with "No one gives us the respect we deserve" cliches right now.

Just from my general reading, I don't see anyone high on any team in the NFC North, except some folks for the Vikings, and that was for their free agent signings. I don't think anyone's sure of the Bears, and no one has respect for the Lions yet. In fact, I think most of the media are as pro-Brett and pro-Hawk as the average Packers fan is. With Lovie Smith as the longest-tenured coach, our division is too "new" for writers to be sure of anything.

Frankly, I don't think the media owe us a darn thing, except to give us the scores and spell the names right. But if it makes you feel better to believe they're all against us, go for it.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 04:10 AM
At this point of the season, we have every reason to be optimistic. Just as the other 31 teams have that right.

I would hate to start training camp thinking we're going 3-13. Any "realists" out there that enjoy seeing our team in that position are welcome to it.

Me, I'm a homer and proud of it. Barring injury and with a bit of luck, Brett plays his last career game in Miami on the 4th of February.

And, he wins it.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 10:53 AM
At this point of the season, we have every reason to be optimistic. Just as the other 31 teams have that right.

I would hate to start training camp thinking we're going 3-13. Any "realists" out there that enjoy seeing our team in that position are welcome to it.

Tarlam:

Alot of the members here are certainly as optimistic as you are - that we'll have a much improved season over last.

I'll be very pleased, with anything either side of 8 wins.

GO PACKERS !

son of a vic
07-29-2006, 03:51 PM
HarveyWallbangers--"Who said the Bears were failures last year?"

In Woody's breakdown of the division, he said the Bears were pretenders because they lost in the play-offs. However, the Packers won the division the previous few years, and got hammered in the play-offs.

The implication that if any other team wins the division is just luck or a fluke, is the kind of logic that makes me want to mimic Mr. Yuck, and puke.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Agreed. The Bears were not losers last year because they won the division and made the playoffs.

I am optimistic about next year but have concerns with the O-Line, kicking/punting, receivers, and coaching. I know that's a lot to be concerned about.

Oscar
07-29-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't know if its all about the Bears being good or bad. They hada good year. They were also in the same situation a few seasons back and then vanished for a while. Shit... the Packers have had how many winning seasons(regardless of our playoff record) untill last year?? So it does kinda piss me off when the so called experts write what they write. Were not the only team with a new head coach that didn't make the playoffs last year. I'm gonna wait and see what happens. I'm also gonna get another cold beer. :smile: and see if theres any TC news.

packattack
07-29-2006, 07:22 PM
The NFL Network is looking at the Packers for there coverage next week...are they looking at the Viking, Bears, or Lions, NO. They are looking at the Packers...something new - Real football players from the heart. TT people or can I say Pittsburgh Hard Nosed Players....Look at his draft. Players with the heart and want to play football.

Rastak
07-29-2006, 07:27 PM
The NFL Network is looking at the Packers for there coverage next week...are they looking at the Viking, Bears, or Lions, NO. They are looking at the Packers...something new - Real football players from the heart. TT people or can I say Pittsburgh Hard Nosed Players....Look at his draft. Players with the heart and want to play football.

Yea, they want to look at the underdogs.... :wink:

MJZiggy
07-29-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey packattack, welcome to the forum. Do you have any times/dates for programming? I'd like to tivo some of it.