PDA

View Full Version : Ravens RB Rice Provides Test for Stingy Packers

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 12:49 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/wires/12/04/2020.ap.fbn.ravens.packers.1st.ld.writethru.adv05. 0964/

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -Teams have had a tough time running on the Green Bay Packers since the third week of the season, and that's one of the primary reasons their defense entered this week ranked No. 1 in the league in yards allowed.

But it has been a while since the Packers faced a dual-threat running back like the one they'll see at Lambeau Field on Monday night, Baltimore's Ray Rice.

The second-year player out of Rutgers is leading the Ravens in rushing and receptions and is No. 2 in the NFL with 1,403 combined yards from scrimmage, trailing only Tennessee's Chris Johnson.

Rice's performance has fellow Ravens raving.

"I'm a big college football fan, and I watched pretty much his whole career and I said 'Wow, if I ever met that kid I would tell him I love his passion for the game, I love the way he plays the game,''' linebacker Ray Lewis said. "You find humble people, he's probably one of the most humblest men you'd ever meet in your life. He's always energetic about life, energetic about the game and always trying to find a way to get better.''

And Rice has done his best work as a runner on the road this season, averaging 5.8 yards per carry in the Ravens' away games.

"Ray's pretty electric,'' Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "He's quick and fast and explosive. He's a young guy and he's learning as he goes.''

Harbaugh said he has been pleasantly surprised by Rice's ability to contribute in the passing game.

"At Rutgers, he was more of a tackle-to-tackle runner,'' Harbaugh said. "I think everybody hoped he had the potential to be a third-down back and those kind of things, but you didn't really know and it wasn't something he did in college. He's worked really hard at that in the almost two years he's been here now, and he's developed obviously into a threat.''

But Rice's success isn't much of a secret any more, and the Ravens' running game won't be sneaking up on the Packers.

"We're doing a very good job of stopping the run, and that will be a major focus as we go into this next game,'' Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think Baltimore's running game, particularly their three running backs, will be an excellent challenge for us.''

The Ravens' rushing threat doesn't end with Rice, as Willis McGahee remains an effective rusher and Le'Ron McClain is a ballcarrying threat as a fullback.

"They've got three backs who all could start,'' defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins said. "And the Rice kid's very explosive, very quick. He can squeeze up into the smallest of holes. So we're going to have our hands full this week. We're going to have to really make sure that we come out and play.''

Rice and the Ravens will face a run defense that has improved steadily after a few initial hiccups under new coordinator Dom Capers and his change to a 3-4 scheme.

The Packers allowed 141 yards rushing to Cincinnati's Cedric Benson in Week 2, and 163 combined yards rushing and receiving to St. Louis' Steven Jackson in Week 3.

But they've been close to airtight against the run since, allowing a total of 594 yards rushing in eight games - 74.3 yards per game and 3.4 yards per carry during that stretch.

Their only slip-up since Week 3 was a Nov. 1 home loss to the Minnesota Vikings in which they allowed Adrian Peterson to rush for 97 yards and catch one pass for 44 yards.

Players say they're getting more comfortable in Capers' schemes.

"We had those growing pains earlier in the year and as we get more comfortable in our roles and what we're supposed to do as individual players, we've been able to grow as a defense,'' linebacker Nick Barnett said. "And as long as we keep continuing to do that, I think we'll be good.''

The Packers' improved run defense gradually has led to a better pass rush. Since being carved apart by Brett Favre twice earlier in the season, the Packers have been getting more pressure on the quarterback.

And with Charles Woodson lurking in the secondary, the Packers can make teams pay for mistakes. Woodson has seven interceptions, Green Bay is No. 2 in the league in takeaways behind New Orleans, and leads the league with a plus-17 turnover margin.

The Packers still, however, are dealing with the loss of cornerback Al Harris and outside linebacker Aaron Kampman to season-ending knee injuries in the Nov. 22 victory over San Francisco.

McCarthy, who fired most of his defensive assistants after last year's disappointing performance, said earlier this week that being ranked No. 1 in yards allowed at 281.5 per game helps his defense's confidence - although the Packers subsequently fell to No. 2 after a stout defensive performance by the New York Jets in a victory over Buffalo on Thursday. But McCarthy doesn't want players to spend time patting themselves on the back.

"Being No. 1 in Week 12, 13, 14 really doesn't give you any merit,'' McCarthy said. "You want to be No. 1 at the end of the season. But I think our defense definitely is on the right pace to be the championship defense that we anticipate we'd have here.''

I'll admit, Snake hasn't seen much of Rice in the NFL...heard good things, but hardly wowed with him. Is he that good/exceptional? Should we be worried? I doubt it. I still say stop Flacco.

Gunakor
12-05-2009, 01:29 AM
I'll admit, Snake hasn't seen much of Rice in the NFL...heard good things, but hardly wowed with him. Is he that good/exceptional? Should we be worried? I doubt it. I still say stop Flacco.

We can't sell out against the run and allow Flacco to have a field day, but stopping RR has to be a primary focus for our defense. I've been a fan of his since his days at Rutgers. The kid is definitely a cut above average. I for one am buying the hype surrounding Rice. He's the real deal.

BallHawk
12-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Well-done dark humor by SI?

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 01:45 AM

We can't sell out against the run and allow Flacco to have a field day, but stopping RR has to be a primary focus for our defense. I've been a fan of his since his days at Rutgers. The kid is definitely a cut above average. I for one am buying the hype surrounding Rice. He's the real deal.

I dunno. Snake has been the leading pick'em guy in his pool of 15 guys all year (won last week again with 15 of 16 picks and 7 of 13 weeks overall wins amongst them so far, and running away overall in my league) so I know I'm doing something right.

The Ravens should get whooped next week. Rice is getting lots of hype, but I watch Sportscenter, etc. I just don't see how Rice is that good as an NFL RB or how Flacco is that good, either as a QB. They don't have a great record, as I get the Sporting News and have been behind on issues, but Ray Lewis was proclaiming himself the BEST PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL in a former issue...Looks like a bunch of hype. I see the Pack running all over them. Never been much of a Ray Lewis fan (heard he was declining 3 years ago) and Rice and Flacco don't scare me. I see a HUGE blowout.

Back to Rice.....I've seen his highlights...he looks like a workman...deece back....not worried about him AT ALL. Is he even that good? I doubt it. AFC D's are geared against the pass...NFC D's are geared against the run. Flacco is pedestrian....Rice is too. We'll run roughshod over the Ravens. Not a big deal. I was just trying to get Rice some props, but he looks like a Ryan Grant...not worried about him....at all. Rice isn't that good. If he was, we'd see him on mags/Sportscenter/etc.

Even if he is that good, the Ravens don't have enough in GB to upset the Pack. Easy Packer win. Quote the Snake. 8-4.

Gunakor
12-05-2009, 01:53 AM
He's shiftier than Grant and tougher to tackle. He has much MUCH better hands out of the backfield and is better in space, which by itself causes more problems for defenses than Grant would cause. He's gonna be a handful. I'm confident we'll get the job done, but it's not gonna be some cakewalk. IMO he's every bit as good as they say he is. But as long as our defense is every bit as good as we say it is then it will be handled. I'm not worried.

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 01:59 AM
He's shiftier than Grant and tougher to tackle. He has much MUCH better hands out of the backfield and is better in space, which by itself causes more problems for defenses than Grant would cause. He's gonna be a handful. I'm confident we'll get the job done, but it's not gonna be some cakewalk. IMO he's every bit as good as they say he is. But as long as our defense is every bit as good as we say it is then it will be handled. I'm not worried.

Well good call, Gun..Snake is running away with his pick-em pool by leagues. I took the Pack in a cake-walk. Lost one game last week. Only 2 each in the past two weeks, prior. I picked the Pack in all 3.....43-5 the last 3 weeks. I said Pack in a cakewalk this week. Trust that. Rice won't get 80 yards. I just don't see the hype with that cat, Rice. I see the hype with my boy, Raji, and Pickett.....Great run D. Pack jumps out 14-0 early and Flacco gets picked twice and they give up on the run.

Wish Snake was going to that game, but I know 6 buddies going to that game. Damn. Wish I was freezing too.

Fred's Slacks
12-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Well good call, Gun..Snake is running away with his pick-em pool by leagues. I took the Pack in a cake-walk. Lost one game last week. Only 2 each in the past two weeks, prior. I picked the Pack in all 3.....43-5 the last 3 weeks. I said Pack in a cakewalk this week. Trust that. Rice won't get 80 yards. I just don't see the hype with that cat, Rice. I see the hype with my boy, Raji, and Pickett.....Great run D. Pack jumps out 14-0 early and Flacco gets picked twice and they give up on the run.

Wish Snake was going to that game, but I know 6 buddies going to that game. Damn. Wish I was freezing too.

I hope your right Snake. I anticipate this being a tough game only because I know the Ravens play a physical game. It's always difficult to blow those types of teams out.

mission
12-05-2009, 08:57 AM

Im with you there. Ray Rice is the real deal, no doubt about it. But so is AP and we shut him down twice this year. I think we'll continue to make it hard on RBs Monday.

Bretsky
12-05-2009, 10:07 AM

Agree that GB will win......but Ray Rice..........Real Deal. Snake needs to watch him more and he will see. Stellar receiving RB as well as rugher. He'd look great in Green n Gold.........although we wouldn't see Grant much then. He's one of the emerging backs in the NFL. Not flashy so he's overlooked......but RR can do it all pretty good.

Brandon494
12-05-2009, 10:16 AM

Agree that GB will win......but Ray Rice..........Real Deal. Snake needs to watch him more and he will see. Stellar receiving RB as well as rugher. He'd look great in Green n Gold.........although we wouldn't see Grant much then. He's one of the emerging backs in the NFL. Not flashy so he's overlooked......but RR can do it all pretty good.

Ray Rice reminds me of Chester Taylor, good back but nothing special.

Bretsky
12-05-2009, 10:46 AM

Ray Rice is in year 2 and still has many years ahead to improve
Chester Taylor is what he is; a decent RB whose upside we've already seen

Mazzin
12-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Recpt. count too? If so I'll deff take that bet. Snake do you like MoJo?

bobblehead
12-05-2009, 11:36 AM

I dunno. Snake has been the leading pick'em guy in his pool of 15 guys all year (won last week again with 15 of 16 picks and 7 of 13 weeks overall wins amongst them so far, and running away overall in my league) so I know I'm doing something right.

The Ravens should get whooped next week. Rice is getting lots of hype, but I watch Sportscenter, etc. I just don't see how Rice is that good as an NFL RB or how Flacco is that good, either as a QB. They don't have a great record, as I get the Sporting News and have been behind on issues, but Ray Lewis was proclaiming himself the BEST PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL in a former issue...Looks like a bunch of hype. I see the Pack running all over them. Never been much of a Ray Lewis fan (heard he was declining 3 years ago) and Rice and Flacco don't scare me. I see a HUGE blowout.

Back to Rice.....I've seen his highlights...he looks like a workman...deece back....not worried about him AT ALL. Is he even that good? I doubt it. AFC D's are geared against the pass...NFC D's are geared against the run. Flacco is pedestrian....Rice is too. We'll run roughshod over the Ravens. Not a big deal. I was just trying to get Rice some props, but he looks like a Ryan Grant...not worried about him....at all. Rice isn't that good. If he was, we'd see him on mags/Sportscenter/etc.

Even if he is that good, the Ravens don't have enough in GB to upset the Pack. Easy Packer win. Quote the Snake. 8-4.

I still recall Partial declaring that the Ravens were a much better 4-4 team than the pack. I've said all year you are what your record says. I guess now the Ravens are a better 6-5 team than we are a 7-4 team. Similar teams. Difference will be the QB...ours is much better. I know, stats don't matter, and Flacco is a winner, (even though ARods record is better atm). Stats be damned, facts be damned, we are in big trouble against a team that has "it".

Honestly, it will be a dogfight, but I'm hoping that our QB is better than theirs....i believe he is, and if given time he wins this one.

The Shadow
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I think this game has to do mostly with our offense's success against their defense.
The Raven's offense is not very scary.

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
But if Clifton doesn't play and Lang has a concussion, then our offensive line is downright scary.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought Cliffy was playing. Hammy's doing better just so long as he doesn't tweak it.

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Seems like MM is playing games on this one.

If Barbe plays left tackle, roll Rodgers out on every pass play. He'll probably just have to keep running most of the time, but at least he'll have a head start.

Brandon494
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Ray Rice is in year 2 and still has many years ahead to improve
Chester Taylor is what he is; a decent RB whose upside we've already seen

What does that have to do with them having similar styles? All Im saying is that Ray Rice will have a career more like Taylor rather than Emmitt like someone said in a earlier post.

Partial
12-05-2009, 02:24 PM

I still recall Partial declaring that the Ravens were a much better 4-4 team than the pack. I've said all year you are what your record says. I guess now the Ravens are a better 6-5 team than we are a 7-4 team. Similar teams. Difference will be the QB...ours is much better. I know, stats don't matter, and Flacco is a winner, (even though ARods record is better atm). Stats be damned, facts be damned, we are in big trouble against a team that has "it".

Honestly, it will be a dogfight, but I'm hoping that our QB is better than theirs....i believe he is, and if given time he wins this one.

What the hell is this? I haven't posted in this thread and it's okay to take a shot at me? Childish.

That said, I think we're going to win. Packers are playing hot right now, ARod is playing very well, D is clicking, the team as a whole is starting to gel. If ST doesn't screw this one up, I think we'll go 4-0 in the third quadrant of the season.

Having Jerkmichael healthy is going to cut down on the effectiveness and probably frequency of their blitzing imo. Hopefully my opinion is correct. If they aren't bringing the heat, we win this game.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I still recall Partial declaring that the Ravens were a much better 4-4 team than the pack. I've said all year you are what your record says. I guess now the Ravens are a better 6-5 team than we are a 7-4 team. Similar teams.

What the hell is this? I haven't posted in this thread and it's okay to take a shot at me? Childish.

Not a shot. Not childish. He's calling you out. I don't know, but didn't the Ravens look like a better team when both were 4-4? Was that your position? You may have been right. They could still beat the Packers, but I doubt it. When have the Ravens played well in GB? I can't recall. Seems they lost in 2001 following their SB victory and lost in 1998 too with a different squad. Serve up some Ray Lewis pancakes, protect the ball and you win this game on offense.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
They kicked the hairy snot out of us last time we were in Baltimore...hopefully it's a different outcome this time. I know for sure I'll be warmer.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
They kicked the hairy snot out of us last time we were in Baltimore...hopefully it's a different outcome this time. I know for sure I'll be warmer.

But that was a vastly different Packer team on the road. Out of the playoffs, ot of players, out of a coach (everyone knew it), out of a QB (Favre was certain to retire, right?), down and out. Chatman, Thurman, Martin, Gado at your skill positions. WOW was the cupboard bare!

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I was mad at Driver because he kicked the bench. I thought he was going to break a toe.

pbmax
12-05-2009, 04:00 PM

But that was a vastly different Packer team on the road. Out of the playoffs, ot of players, out of a coach (everyone knew it), out of a QB (Favre was certain to retire, right?), down and out. Chatman, Thurman, Martin, Gado at your skill positions. WOW was the cupboard bare!
Boy, you do a mean Cliff Christl impersonation! :lol:

red
12-05-2009, 05:02 PM
i don't see how rice is any more of a test then the duo we've already played twice this year and held in check

ap and chester taylor

bobblehead
12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I still recall Partial declaring that the Ravens were a much better 4-4 team than the pack. I've said all year you are what your record says. I guess now the Ravens are a better 6-5 team than we are a 7-4 team. Similar teams.

Not a shot. Not childish. He's calling you out. I don't know, but didn't the Ravens look like a better team when both were 4-4? Was that your position? You may have been right. They could still beat the Packers, but I doubt it. When have the Ravens played well in GB? I can't recall. Seems they lost in 2001 following their SB victory and lost in 1998 too with a different squad. Serve up some Ray Lewis pancakes, protect the ball and you win this game on offense.

Partial, you did state that when both teams were 4-4 and I called you out on it then. Now I'm putting up saying we are the better team, I may eat crow. don't start getting all bigguns on me and getting upset that I called you out (oh my god, I did it again....doh, and again).

Sorry in advance ty, and partial, and whoever else I have offended.

red
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
well packers held him to jack squat in the first half

MJZiggy
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
And I was right. I'm much warmer...though I should go put my slippers on.

mission
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Was never worried about it .. 8-) :lol:

SnakeLH2006
12-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Snake is running away with his pick-em pool by leagues. I took the Pack in a cake-walk. Lost one game last week. Only 2 each in the past two weeks, prior. I picked the Pack in all 3.....43-5 the last 3 weeks. I said Pack in a cakewalk this week. Trust that. Rice won't get 80 yards. I just don't see the hype with that cat, Rice. I see the hype with my boy, Raji, and Pickett.....Great run D. Pack jumps out 14-0 early and Flacco gets picked twice and they give up on the run.

Well Snake has been off for 7 days, but thought I'd just say...

I won my pick'em pool yet again this last week (cash is just sick and peeps copy my picks lately, but that's cool, as they can never catch up then). I like that.

-Pack in a cakewalk (check).
-Rice won't get 80 yards (check).
-Pack jumps out 14-0 early (17-0 at halftime)...(check).
-Flacco gets picked twice (make it 3)....(check).
-They give up on the run with Rice (check).
-Pack wins in a blowout (check).

Quote the Snake...never more. I dominate my league and have won almost every week lately. I know my NFL stuff. (56-8 in the last 4 weeks now)...only 13-3 last week with the upsets...still 3 better than the 2nd best out of 15 in my league last week alone.

BTW. I picked the Pack again this week over the Bears in a low-scoring affair.

Any Rat wanting some good pick-em advice or suicide/elimination picks holler back on here, I'll post my picks up on here for ya, no problem....

Fred's Slacks
12-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Snake is running away with his pick-em pool by leagues. I took the Pack in a cake-walk. Lost one game last week. Only 2 each in the past two weeks, prior. I picked the Pack in all 3.....43-5 the last 3 weeks. I said Pack in a cakewalk this week. Trust that. Rice won't get 80 yards. I just don't see the hype with that cat, Rice. I see the hype with my boy, Raji, and Pickett.....Great run D. Pack jumps out 14-0 early and Flacco gets picked twice and they give up on the run.

Well Snake has been off for 7 days, but thought I'd just say...

I won my pick'em pool yet again this last week (cash is just sick and peeps copy my picks lately, but that's cool, as they can never catch up then). I like that.

-Pack in a cakewalk (check).
-Rice won't get 80 yards (check).
-Pack jumps out 14-0 early (17-0 at halftime)...(check).
-Flacco gets picked twice (make it 3)....(check).
-They give up on the run with Rice (check).
-Pack wins in a blowout (check).

Quote the Snake...never more. I dominate my league and have won almost every week lately. I know my NFL stuff. (56-8 in the last 4 weeks now)...only 13-3 last week with the upsets...still 3 better than the 2nd best out of 15 in my league last week alone.

BTW. I picked the Pack again this week over the Bears in a low-scoring affair.

Any Rat wanting some good pick-em advice or suicide/elimination picks holler back on here, I'll post my picks up on here for ya, no problem....

I don't know if I'd call 13 points a blow out, but other then that, dead on. Good call Snake. How do you see us match up against AZ (assuming they will be trying when we play them)?