PDA

View Full Version : ""USE IT OR LOSE IT ""

Bretsky
12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/78575357.html

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Why do we need to worry about losing it if the following year is uncapped and we can spend however much we like?

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:37 AM
I was wondering exactly the same thing. If as expected there is no agreement, and players who were near FA will be tied for another year, why extend now?

Let's say the Packers had extended Kampman - doh!

Or if they extend Collins and he gets hurt (knock on wood he doesn't) - doh!

Still, for the sake of morale it might be nice if, say, Collins and Pickett got extended. Jolly I think I'd not extend. He seems the type who might decide to take the rest of the year/career off once he gets that big contract.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Jolly just needs and incentive based contract. He decides to take the year off, he doesn't hit his benchmarks and loses out.

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
But he won't want an incentive laden contract - what if he gets hurt?

Maybe an negatively incentive laden contract would work. If you don't get arrested, you get a bonus.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
But he won't want an incentive laden contract - what if he gets hurt?

Maybe an negatively incentive laden contract would work. If you don't get arrested, you get a bonus.

I like it. If you don't get a personal foul that changes the complexion of a game, you get a bonus.

pbmax
12-05-2009, 01:07 PM
McGinn and his editor write as if they do not understand the difference between budget and cash on hand. The question about the leftover money going into the "General Fund" was especially misleading.

They should have shown what the Packers have laid out what the Packers have spent in cash for the last couple of years and then look at the forecast for next year. That will tell him if the team is essentially reducing payroll, regardless of the cap number.

One theory making the rounds about the owners strategy would be for them to spend less money across the board on players next year (easier to resist since the free agent pool will be thin with no fourth or fifth year players available). That will give teams extra cash going into a possible lockout. It also puts immediate pressure on the players who will not realize a windfall.

Partial
12-05-2009, 02:07 PM
I personally don't think next year will end up uncapped. If they don't get Pickett and Collins resigned before that, you can waive goodbye to the hometeam discount. Those two are gonna get big bucks on the market in my opinion. Chillar too, possibly.

pbmax
12-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I personally don't think next year will end up uncapped. If they don't get Pickett and Collins resigned before that, you can waive goodbye to the hometeam discount. Those two are gonna get big bucks on the market in my opinion. Chillar too, possibly.
Its a quandary, especially with Collins, Spitz and Colledge, because if there ISN'T a CBA, they all play for RFA tenders. Quite unhappily, I would imagine.

Partial
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Its a quandary, especially with Collins, Spitz and Colledge, because if there ISN'T a CBA, they all play for RFA tenders. Quite unhappily, I would imagine.

Correct. No sense in risking losing them and having pissed off players to save a few mil. I get that it's a recession, but still. That said, No guarantees on Spitz getting a big pay day coming off surgery. Colledge probably will and I'm not sure he's worth it.

get louder at lambeau
12-05-2009, 04:50 PM
McGinn and his editor write as if they do not understand the difference between budget and cash on hand. The question about the leftover money going into the "General Fund" was especially misleading.

Yeah, it seems pretty obvious that he has no idea what he's talking about. McGinn is one of the better Packer reporters, IMO, but he doesn't seem to have any concept of this.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how this article got to press. Was there no one in the sports department that's been writing about this for months who could have seen the glaring lack of understanding? They're supposed to be more informed than us afterall...

Tony Oday
12-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure how this article got to press. Was there no one in the sports department that's been writing about this for months who could have seen the glaring lack of understanding? They're supposed to be more informed than us afterall...

Whoa you are talking about the media...my 3 1/2 year old son knows more than they do because he has original thoughts in his head.

gbgary
12-05-2009, 08:19 PM

Correct. No sense in risking losing them and having pissed off players to save a few mil. I get that it's a recession, but still. That said, No guarantees on Spitz getting a big pay day coming off surgery. Colledge probably will and I'm not sure he's worth it.

right!! let's give players another reason not to want to come to Green Bay.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 08:28 PM

right!! let's give players another reason not to want to come to Green Bay.

Players don't want to come to GB?

Waldo
12-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Quick, somebody name somebody other than Demarcus Ware that any team has extended during the regular season.....

Its not like we're being weird.

IMO the owners have a comprehensive plan to pressure the union by taking full advantage of the uncapped year rules, and are acting in unison on the matter. If it was just one team, sure it can look bad for the team, but right now this is going on across the board. The best way to leverage union leadership is to have their constituents angry and frantic to get a new deal. After all, a guy like Collins, who will big time get the shaft, has no say in the negotiations. 100 guys like him getting angry at the lack of progress, publicly, will be trouble for the union.

This story is exactly what ownership is looking for. And more like it. Those player quotes, each and every one ratchets up the pressure on the union.