PDA

View Full Version : Hulu > TV

Partial
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I've been doing a comparison of Hulu versus broadcast television the past several weeks.

I've concluded that Hulu is a much more pleasant experience.

It has the following advantages:

1. Basic cable for free
2. Free DVR (I can watch basically any basic cable show at any time, with pause, rewind, stop, start, etc)
3. Three 30 second commercials per half hour show

Hulu gets so many things right that broadcast television does not. Why is that? They're profitable as well.

Discuss.

red
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
i absolutely love hulu

easily one of the top sites on the net

the commercial thing is my favorite part about it, some shhows even give you the option to watch one longer commercial at the beginning of the show, then you won't be bothered anymore

my only real complaint is that fox won't let them post new shows until 8 days after it first airs

hopefully this is the future of tv

Sparkey
12-06-2009, 01:26 PM
i absolutely love hulu

the commercial thing is my favorite part about it, some shhows even give you the option to watch one longer commercial at the beginning of the show, then you won't be bothered anymore

my only real complaint is that fox won't let them post new shows until 8 days after it first airs

If fox didn't hold out those 8 days, they would probably lose too many advertisers.

Partial
12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
i absolutely love hulu

If fox didn't hold out those 8 days, they would probably lose too many advertisers.

I don't think they do; at least for every show. I watch Glee on Fridays, which airs on Wednesdays. I know there is normally a 24 hour delay.

red
12-06-2009, 02:03 PM
house is the only fox show i usually watch

its an 8 day delay

digitaldean
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
I watched a couple full length movies (2 John Frankenheimer movies "Ronin' w/DeNiro and "The Train" with Burt Lancaster) on this plus some of the BSG episodes when it was on. Really like it.

Once my contract (to get a lower price/month) with TimeWarner is up, I'm keeping only my broadband internet. I can watch a lot of shows on Hulu.com or the network sites.

I only have the basic cable pkg. and I think it's overpriced. If I had digital cable, I'd really be sick. With the job transition plus having kids going to college soon, I have to cut corners where possible. The basic cable cut is a minor one. I will miss ESPN, CNN and FoxNews, but I'll manage.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Hulu is going to start charging, it is inevitable.

channtheman
12-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Hulu is going to start charging, it is inevitable.

And then I, and I'm sure alot of others, would stop using it.

BallHawk
12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I watch Glee

http://justshireen.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/srsly-405142.jpg

3irty1
12-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I think Hulu's next step is to get exclusive rights for some show and compete directly with cable.

Cable companies are not needed at all and need to be destroyed somehow. Then and only then will we get tons of free, Fully HD, TV via broadcast like to the extent that some other places in the world have.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
I think Hulu's next step is to get exclusive rights for some show and compete directly with cable.

Cable companies are not needed at all and need to be destroyed somehow. Then and only then will we get tons of free, Fully HD, TV via broadcast like to the extent that some other places in the world have.

Problem is, people need to be able to easily get that image onto their tv somehow. Until then, it'll mainly be computer guys (read: nerds) using these services. I won't even watch shows on the computer. We get episodes via bittorrent, then stream them via media server to the PS3. I, of course, am not a nerd.

3irty1
12-08-2009, 09:14 AM

Problem is, people need to be able to easily get that image onto their tv somehow. Until then, it'll mainly be computer guys (read: nerds) using these services. I won't even watch shows on the computer. We get episodes via bittorrent, then stream them via media server to the PS3. I, of course, am not a nerd.

Yeah I agree. Because of this I only use hulu in a pinch. I do the same as you only with a modded xbox. A Media Center PC would make Hulu even better.

sheepshead
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Is there anything on TV THAT important? Come on people - get a life.

Little Whiskey
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM

I watch Glee

sheepshead
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
OK, I JUST GOOGLED 'GLEE"

C'MON MAN.........

Little Whiskey
12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
OK, I JUST GOOGLED 'GLEE"

C'MON MAN.........

+1

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM

I watch Glee

MY daughter TIVOs that and Wizards of Waverly Place. I gotta believe Partial is just shittin' us. Even if he did watch it for real, he's got to be smart enough not to admit it. Well, I'm off to watch Spongebob.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM

Yes, our lives are greatly diminished for enjoying television.

Do you also rant against toilets and electricity?

sheepshead
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM

That's not what I said, but thanks for the defensive posturing.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Missing the point entirely.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM

That's not what I said, but thanks for the defensive posturing.

You told us to get lives. Because we enjoy certain television shows and go through ALL the effort of downloading some of them. What else were you supposed to mean?

sheepshead
12-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Doesnt it allow you to watch a TV show when ever you want? or if you missed a TV show? I glanced at the site, thats what it looks like to me. So in case I miss Everyone Blows Raymond this week I have a back-up?

Scott Campbell
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Football is on TV.

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Football is on TV.

You watch football? You need to get a life.

sheepshead
12-08-2009, 09:15 PM

Football is on TV.

Football on hulu? Im in!

Tyrone Bigguns
12-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Doesnt it allow you to watch a TV show when ever you want? or if you missed a TV show? I glanced at the site, thats what it looks like to me. So in case I miss Everyone Blows Raymond this week I have a back-up?

For free and with less commercials. But, you still don't get it. If we have a life we don't let tv dictate when we watch it. Therefore, we use Hulu to watch when we want.

You are a bit dense.

sheepshead
12-09-2009, 06:43 AM

For free and with less commercials. But, you still don't get it. If we have a life we don't let tv dictate when we watch it. Therefore, we use Hulu to watch when we want.

You are a bit dense.

TVs on all the time. It is here in Chicago anyway. 24/7. Killing a few hours watching sitcoms, I can understand. Not my thing, but fine. But this looks like guys that cant miss an episode of ....whatever.

SkinBasket
12-09-2009, 07:45 AM
TVs on all the time. It is here in Chicago anyway. 24/7. Killing a few hours watching sitcoms, I can understand. Not my thing, but fine. But this looks like guys that cant miss an episode of ....whatever.

Do you skip a few chapters while reading a book, then say, "whatever?"

sheepshead
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM

Do you skip a few chapters while reading a book, then say, "whatever?"

Network tv, sitcoms reality shows, i havent watched one since the first 2 years of Seinfeld. About 18-19 years i guess. Just not my thing thats all. All I'm saying is if you need to see every tv show in a series maybe its time to examine what you do with your life. I dont read fiction anyway.

SkinBasket
12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I dont read fiction anyway.

You must be a real hoot to hang out with.

sheepshead
12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I hope if anyone ever asks me about Dancing With Homos at a cocktail party I hope you'll take my call.

SkinBasket
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope if anyone ever asks me about Dancing With Homos at a cocktail party I hope you'll take my call.

Concordantly, in your view, all fictional works must be comic books.

A small sample of literature that is beneath you, or the equivalent of "Dancing with Homos":

# The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
# The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
# The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
# To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
# Ulysses by James Joyce
# The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
# 1984 by George Orwell
# The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
# Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
# A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
# Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
# Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
# Animal Farm by George Orwell
# The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
# As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
# A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
# Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

sheepshead
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
You're putting words in my mouth. I have read some of those. A long time ago. You're equating The Family Guy with some of the worlds greatest novels? What the fucks wrong with you?

Watching television does not equate to reading in the first place. Are you stoned?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/cmonman.jpg

SkinBasket
12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
You're putting words in my mouth. I have read some of those. A long time ago. You're equating The Family Guy with some of the worlds greatest novels? What the fucks wrong with you?

How would you know how the shows you mention compare to literature if you never watch them? You're the one who grouped fictional literature with Seinfeld.

Literature and television share the same purpose. To tell a story that enlightens and entertains us. I don't understand the need to be so judgmental about any story, or those who follow that story, simply because of the media through which it's portrayed is apparently beneath you.

sheepshead
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM
You're really fucked up here man. All I'm saying is I dont watch any of it. So to have a service that let's you catch up on missed episodes when your actual LIFE should, God forbid, interrupt a TV show schedule, seems a little fucked up to me. You like TV shows. Good Fine. Knock yourself out. I just dont bother any more, it all still looks like trash to me. Dont take it so personally. You're getting a little creepy about TV.

Freak Out
12-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I feel a warp core breach is imminent.

SkinBasket
12-09-2009, 09:06 PM
You're really fucked up here man. All I'm saying is I dont watch any of it. So to have a service that let's you catch up on missed episodes when your actual LIFE should, God forbid, interrupt a TV show schedule, seems a little fucked up to me. You like TV shows. Good Fine. Knock yourself out. I just dont bother any more, it all still looks like trash to me. Dont take it so personally. You're getting a little creepy about TV.

But it's all of us who should "get a life?"

Tyrone Bigguns
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
TV only gets in the way of posting youtube videos and rib tickling political cartoons.

Ty has decided.

sheepshead
12-10-2009, 07:16 AM

Hey if an unwavering devotion to everybody blows Raymond fulfills your life, I guess it's none of my business. Carry on.

SkinBasket
12-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Hey if an unwavering devotion to everybody blows Raymond fulfills your life, I guess it's none of my business. Carry on.

You don't seem to understand that without an understanding of the stories being told on television, you seem to be in a very poor position to be so demeaning and judgmental toward them, and those who watch them.

mraynrand
12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
I feel a warp core breach is imminent.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

1:50 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkH4oN0OTec

sheepshead
12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I've seen enough, that's all I'm saying. If its that much of a central part of your life then I'm not sure what to tell you.

http://www.hulu.com/browse/popular/tv

Like I said, carry on.

channtheman
12-13-2009, 03:36 AM
How the fuck does a topic about how cool Hulu is end up with someone telling everyone to get lives?

SkinBasket
12-13-2009, 09:21 AM
How the fuck does a topic about how cool Hulu is end up with someone telling everyone to get lives?

Apparently if you follow a television series, you're a loser. Has something to do with fiction being a waste of time apparently. Or maybe it's those gosh darn confounding moving pictures that bother some.

sheepshead
12-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Nobody has ever said on their death bed "I wish I had spent more time watching TV".

Tyrone Bigguns
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Nobody on their death bed has ever said, "i wish sheep woulda posted more."

mraynrand
12-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Nobody has ever said on their death bed "I wish I had spent more time watching TV".

Source?

sheepshead
12-14-2009, 06:46 AM
:lol: :lol: to both!

Freak Out
12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Can you watch "My favorite Martian" on Hulu? I loved that show.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/ray-walston-as-my-favorite-martian.jpg

channtheman
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Probably because they had Hulu dipshit.

sheepshead
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Probably because they had Hulu dipshit.

:shock:

Guiness
12-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Can you watch "My favorite Martian" on Hulu? I loved that show.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/ray-walston-as-my-favorite-martian.jpg

I love it. Shiny suit, two pipecleaners and bushy eyebrows, and you've got yourself a martian!

mraynrand
12-15-2009, 07:33 AM
I love it. Shiny suit, two pipecleaners and bushy eyebrows, and you've got yourself a martian!

My thoughts exactly

http://exploded.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/halloween-reid.jpg

hoosier
12-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Concordantly, in your view, all fictional works must be comic books.

A small sample of literature that is beneath you, or the equivalent of "Dancing with Homos":

# The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
# The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
# The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
# To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
# Ulysses by James Joyce
# The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
# 1984 by George Orwell
# The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
# Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
# A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
# Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
# Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
# Animal Farm by George Orwell
# The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
# As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
# A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
# Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

You forgot Celine's Journey to the End of the Night. Cretin.

sheepshead
12-15-2009, 08:48 AM

My thoughts exactly

http://exploded.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/halloween-reid.jpg

Jesus, just look at all three of those freaks.

mraynrand
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Jesus, just look at all three of those freaks.

Look at all of those Jesus freaks!

http://www.dw-world.de/image/0,,1517897_1,00.jpg

mraynrand
12-15-2009, 08:52 PM
dp