PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to tackle AP

RashanGary
12-07-2009, 10:32 AM
How many times have you seen a guy wrap AP around the waist only to have AP put his stiff arm out, fight through it and break for another 20 yards?

Last night it seemed every guy tackling AP just went low and were really effective tackling him with just one guy around the legs. I was really impressed with how AZ tackled AP.

Sparkey
12-07-2009, 10:41 AM
How many times have you seen a guy wrap AP around the waist only to have AP put his stiff arm out, fight through it and break for another 20 yards?

Last night it seemed every guy tackling AP just went low and were really effective tackling him with just one guy around the legs. I was really impressed with how AZ tackled AP.

You tackle anyone by the ankles/legs and they will go down. They were disciplined on defense and didn't try to make the big play, just make the tackle.

That is how you beat any team. Put them in long down and distance situations and more often than not, you should get the ball back.

ND72
12-07-2009, 10:43 AM

You tackle anyone by the ankles/legs and they will go down. They were disciplined on defense and didn't try to make the big play, just make the tackle.

That is how you beat any team. Put them in long down and distance situations and more often than not, you should get the ball back.

This is why I love High School officials. We played a really tough RB this year in football, and our goal all week was tackling at the knees. So I yell out, "Boys, tackle the knees, remember, gotta bring him down at the knees"....and the official warns our sideline for unsportsman like conduct for telling our kids to tackle the opposing players knees.

pbmax
12-07-2009, 11:16 AM
The problem with tackling feet, ankles and knees is that they move much more quickly than you waist or torso. So while you may see people bounce off Peterson while attacking him above the thighs, you probably also more people miss by going low and Purple Jesus stepping out of the tackle.

Its also odd as after his first couple of games, people where advocating taking Peterson high as they feared his stiffarm less than his lower body strength.

packers11
12-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Tackling AP wasn't the problem when the packers lost twice to the Vikings (I think he was averaging like 2-3 years a carry)... It was Favre that was the problem

I'd like to see how the packers would do against the best RB in the league (Chris Johnson).

RashanGary
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't advocate diving at ankles, but going right for his knees, that's what AZ did and it seemed to work great.

RashanGary
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
There were even times when AP was just getting past a guy and instead of try8ing to fight him down, they fell right on the back of his legs and wrapped up.

Straight ahead, coming from the side, tackling from behind. I was really impressed all the way around with the way they tackled him at the knees.

mraynrand
12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't advocate diving at ankles, but going right for his knees, that's what AZ did and it seemed to work great.

I'm not sure that's even legal anymore. The NFL needs to eliminate tackling, planting and cutting to reduce the number of injuries. It's all about protecting the players.

Guiness
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
The problem with tackling feet, ankles and knees is that they move much more quickly than you waist or torso. So while you may see people bounce off Peterson while attacking him above the thighs, you probably also more people miss by going low and Purple Jesus stepping out of the tackle.

Its also odd as after his first couple of games, people where advocating taking Peterson high as they feared his stiffarm less than his lower body strength.

I went looking for that great shot of Hendo hurdling a couple of Minnesota defenders to show what can happen when you try to tackled low, but couldn't find it.

Anyone have that one? One of my favorite pics.

PlantPage55
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Regardless of where they were tackling him, he just looked awful last night. I mean, he looked like he didn't have a clue and didn't have any heart, last night.

Fritz
12-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I think Antuan Edwards runs a tackling school down in South Carolina, where he teaches the "pretend you can't fight through the block, then reach out and grab his jersey with one hand and hold on" method.

channtheman
12-07-2009, 12:48 PM

I'm not sure that's even legal anymore. The NFL needs to eliminate tackling, planting and cutting to reduce the number of injuries. It's all about protecting the players.

Why can't we just decide the games by a chess match too? That was sarcastic but think about how exciting that would be!

"Green Bay reclines in his chair clearly flustered at how the match is going. They pick up the queen, no he puts it back down. What's this?! Green Bay has a smirk on his face. OH NO! He moves his rook forward 8 spaces! CHECK MATE! CHECK MATE Folks, YOU JUST SAW HISTORY TODAY!"