PDA

View Full Version : Peter King Sleeps On Clay Matthews

pbmax
12-07-2009, 11:49 AM
From Monday Morning QB today, while cursing the lack of young pass rushers and finding praise for only Brian Orakpo:

Player............Team..........Games.......Sacks
Chris Long........St. Louis.....28..........8.0
Brian Orakpo......Wash..........12..........7.0
Lawrence Jackson..Sea...........28..........6.0
Clay Matthews.....G.B...........11..........5.0
Calais Campbell...Ariz..........28..........5.0
Phillip Merling...Miami.........28..........3.5
Derrick Harvey....Jax...........28..........3.5
Quentin Groves....Jax...........28..........2.5
Connor Barwin.....Houston.......12..........2.5
Larry English.....S.D...........12..........2.0
Aaron Curry.......Seattle.......12..........2.0
Everette Brown....Car...........11..........1.5
Brian Cushing.....Houston.......12..........1.5
Clint Sintim......NY Giants......3..........1.0
Robert Ayers......Denver........11..........0.0
Tyson Jackson.....K.C...........12..........0.0
Aaron Maybin......Buff..........11..........0.0
Keith Rivers......Cin...........16..........0.0
Vernon Gholston...Jets..........25..........0.0
Kentwan Balmer....SF............28..........0.0

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/1.html#ixzz0Z1foxY4l
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

He also picks the Ravens:

Who I Like Tonight
Ray Rice is one of those players who needs to be seen to be believed. Last Sunday night, on 24 touches, he strafed the Steelers for 145 yards in a 20-17 overtime win. Tonight, he should get more chances than that. Baltimore needs to control the ball, keep it away from the productive Aaron Rodgers, and eat some clock. Look for Rice and Willis McGahee to combine for 35 to 40 touches, and look for the Ravens to prevail, 29-17.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/06/mmqb/4.html#ixzz0Z1mMyZLu
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Smidgeon
12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
From Monday Morning QB today, while cursing the lack of young pass rushers and finding praise for only Brian Orakpo.

Yeah. I saw that snub. I think it's saying something that he's 4th on that totals list with several players behind him with a full season under their belts (including 2 ahead of him).

Fritz
12-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Every year I see rookies on other teams, like Demeco Ryans a couple years ago, come in and make a big impact in their rookie years, and I'd wonder, "how come our rooks don't do that?"

Now we have one who has. This is so, so cool.

pbmax
12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Its also odd it didn't get a mention since Matthews is three behind but has played a game less.

Smidgeon
12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Its also odd it didn't get a mention since Matthews is three behind but has played a game less.

Also I imagine his duties are a lot more diverse than Orakpo's.

hoosier
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Wow, Aaron Curry was supposed to be the most dynamic defensive player in last year's draft. Is he (2 sacks) really shaping up to be a bigger disappointment than AJ Hawk? Or is he doing "everything else" well aside from blitzing?

Smidgeon
12-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Every year I see rookies on other teams, like Demeco Ryans a couple years ago, come in and make a big impact in their rookie years, and I'd wonder, "how come our rooks don't do that?"

Now we have one who has. This is so, so cool.

Agreed. But I would add that Raji has also flashed more than GB's 1st rounders have in recent history. Which means that TT might have just had his best draft...ever. Of course, picking up AR in 2005 was equally if not more vital.

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Wow, Aaron Curry was supposed to be the most dynamic defensive player in last year's draft. Is he (2 sacks) really shaping up to be a bigger disappointment than AJ Hawk? Or is he doing "everything else" well aside from blitzing?

Is Curry the one who put on all the muscle in like 3 weeks?? I would guess if that is the guy the NFL testing for steroids might have reduced his "dynamic" abilities.

3irty1
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I can't read Peter King anymore. He's such a Vikings fan.

Spaulding
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Viking fan or do you mean Brett Favre fan? He seemed to like the Pack a lot better when #4 played for us.

cheesner
12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
King is one of the best writers covering the NFL.

However, he has the least understanding of the game compared to other writers. This is the guy who voted for Carnell Lake as League MVP about 10 years ago. He likes to drop names, but his analysis often seems superficial and slanted.

Bossman641
12-07-2009, 04:36 PM

Is Curry the one who put on all the muscle in like 3 weeks?? I would guess if that is the guy the NFL testing for steroids might have reduced his "dynamic" abilities.

No, that was Aaron Maybin

Lurker64
12-07-2009, 04:38 PM

Curry was never a pass rusher. He's a classic 4-3 OLB, who covers well, and excels in run support. He's an outstanding player, but that's why teams passed on him because he's not an impact playmaker.

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 08:42 PM
And on that note....up your butt Peter King!!!

MJZiggy
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
And on that note....up your butt Peter King!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brando19
12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Peter King's Christmas bonus should be alot less after that article.

Bossman641
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Suck it King!

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
And on that note....up your butt Peter King!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WAY UP IT!!!!!

red
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
FUCK YOU PETER KING

CM3

denverYooper
12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Not only that, but he was way off on his prediction :). Maybe he got his numbers backwards.

channtheman
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Peter King's Christmas bonus should be alot less after that article. :lol: :lol:

3irty1
12-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Viking fan or do you mean Brett Favre fan? He seemed to like the Pack a lot better when #4 played for us.

No queen fan. He even liked Tarvaris Jackson when he started. The guy just bleeds purple AIDS.

Smidgeon
12-08-2009, 08:24 AM
So what does Matthews have to do to win DROY?

Spaulding
12-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Stay healthy and not let that hammy issue come back. He's in a scheme that he should thrive in.

DonHutson
12-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Clay Mattews sleeps with Peter King on him? Can't he just sleep in an oxygen tent like Hawk?

hoosier
12-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Curry was never a pass rusher. He's a classic 4-3 OLB, who covers well, and excels in run support. He's an outstanding player, but that's why teams passed on him because he's not an impact playmaker.

I had the impression that Seattle's defensive scheme, whatever it is, allows their LBs to have more of an impact. That was certainly the case early in Tatupu's career and with Leroy Hill and Julian Peterson. True, impact doesn't necessarily mean sacks. Does anyone watch Seahawk games enough to have an opinion on Aaron Curry so far? Or I guess we can wait until week 16 to see for ourselves....

Guiness
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM

It was Maybin or Curry - the speed with which he put on the muscle had some questioning it, as well as the distribution of the muscle, over development of pecs, etc. The rumour of HGH was tossed around.

Bretsky
12-09-2009, 08:26 AM
So what does Matthews have to do to win DROY?

I think it's incredibly tough for him to win this; look at Cushing's stats side by side his.

It's easy to argue Matthews over Orakpo and Curry but tough to knock Cushing down. We had all of their results side by side and Matthews is pretty similar to Orakpo (slightly better IMO) and Curry. But Cushing has been a machine this year.

Waldo
12-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Peter King was big time talking up Clay this morning on Sirius.

Peter took notice of Clay on Monday night. I don't think that we'll see this oversight again.

pbmax
12-09-2009, 09:03 AM
...........TCKL.....SOLO.....ASST.....SCK...SCK YDS......FF.....INT.....YDS.......AVG......TD..... LNG......PD
Matthews.....34.......24.......10.......7.......0. 0.......2.......0.......0.......0.0.......0....... 0.......6
Cushing.....102.......64.......38.......2.......0. 0.......2.......3.......0.......6.7.......0......2 0.......9

pbmax
12-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Given the differences of the roles they play, Cushing will have a more traditional LB stat line. But now that Matthews is starting, the tackle numbers will probably not diverge like it appears here.

Waldo
12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Given the differences of the roles they play, Cushing will have a more traditional LB stat line. But now that Matthews is starting, the tackle numbers will probably not diverge like it appears here.

One thing missing from that stat line is that Clay has 4 :shock: fumble recoveries, one of them leading to a TD.

mission
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
I cant wait to see Matthews against Orlando Pace this week. I think he'll have another 2+ sack game with (more) impact plays.

It's almost infectious on this defense now ... the guys are one-upping each other with huge plays. Let's see it continue Dom!!

KYPack
12-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Matthews is a real bitch. Kid has got it all. My early impressions of him were dead wrong. That early camp hamstring problem made me think it would linger. Also he really hadn't played backer that much. He was a stand up DE at SC for most of his snaps. I also saw tape on him early and he looked scrawnier than advertised. I added all that up and figured we wouldn't see what we have now until his second or third season.

Never been gladder to be so far off on a player. This kid improves by the snap. Mish is right on. He is exactly the kind of player pace can't handle anymore. I'm sure the Bears will slide to help the old OT, but Dom will make the adjustments. Jones and Matthews are more than a pleasant surprise. They are like getting money from home when you didn't even write mom a letter.

mngolf19
12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Clay Mattews sleeps with Peter King on him? Can't he just sleep in an oxygen tent like Hawk?

I was thinking, did CM pay King or was it the other way around? :lol:

pbmax
12-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Matthews is a real bitch. Kid has got it all. My early impressions of him were dead wrong. That early camp hamstring problem made me think it would linger. Also he really hadn't played backer that much. He was a stand up DE at SC for most of his snaps. I also saw tape on him early and he looked scrawnier than advertised. I added all that up and figured we wouldn't see what we have now until his second or third season.

Never been gladder to be so far off on a player. This kid improves by the snap. Mish is right on. He is exactly the kind of player pace can't handle anymore. I'm sure the Bears will slide to help the old OT, but Dom will make the adjustments. Jones and Matthews are more than a pleasant surprise. They are like getting money from home when you didn't even write mom a letter.
Seeing their development with Greene makes me wonder about the O line and offensive coaches again. If it was just CMIII, then you would say, well he's a first round pick, one that Thompson clearly thought was dropping too far for his measurables and he has all the talent in the world. But Jones looks solid as well and he was from the seventh.

Could it be that T2 has hit with this draft class, Sitton and Lang as part of the normal vagaries of drafting? Possible, of course. But I am more and more convinced that the O coaches have caused some of their own problems.

Smidgeon
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Seeing their development with Greene makes me wonder about the O line and offensive coaches again. If it was just CMIII, then you would say, well he's a first round pick, one that Thompson clearly thought was dropping too far for his measurables and he has all the talent in the world. But Jones looks solid as well and he was from the seventh.

So has Greene successfully transitioned from great player to good coach? If not, how long do results have to be shown to prove it out?

TennesseePackerBacker
12-09-2009, 03:11 PM

In my opinion, a sack should counts as 20 tackles, not TFL's. Nothing ends a drive more quickly than a sack. Maybe 20 is a high number, and I'd like to see some thoughts on this. Cushing has been impressive, and those numbers will be hard to beat. But, just in my opinion remember, 7 sacks > 100 tackles.

Smidgeon
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM

In my opinion, a sack should counts as 20 tackles, not TFL's. Nothing ends a drive more quickly than a sack. Maybe 20 is a high number, and I'd like to see some thoughts on this. Cushing has been impressive, and those numbers will be hard to beat. But, just in my opinion remember, 7 sacks > 100 tackles.

But in that case and INT > sack because it does kill a drive instead of just making it worse. One could even argue that 3 INTs > 7 sacks.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-09-2009, 03:18 PM

But in that case and INT > sack because it does kill a drive instead of just making it worse. One could even argue that 3 INTs > 7 sacks.

Gotta concede that one to you. Someone hit it on the head earlier though. It's all about the scheme they are used in. CM3 isn't in coverage nearly as much as Cushing, and vice versa Cushing doesn't blitz nearly as much as CM3. Both have had impressive seasons, but like I said in my first post, I doubt CM3 can beat out Cushing.

Smidgeon
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Gotta concede that one to you. Someone hit it on the head earlier though. It's all about the scheme they are used in. CM3 isn't in coverage nearly as much as Cushing, and vice versa Cushing doesn't blitz nearly as much as CM3. Both have had impressive seasons, but like I said in my first post, I doubt CM3 can beat out Cushing.

Personally I like CM3 better. I'd rather have a "frighten the QB" type of player than a "can tackle and occasionally catch a badly thrown ball" player.

Freak Out
12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Clay was on the Rome (Radio) show today...nice interview.

http://www.jimrome.com/home.html

I believe it was in the last hour.