PDA

View Full Version : Running machine may lack key parts

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Posted July 28, 2006

Chris Havel column: Running machine may lack key parts

Mike McCarthy's vision for the Green Bay Packers' offense can be summed up in four words.

Run first. Pass second.

It is a distinct departure from the team's recent past, and it may best describe McCarthy's personality and the smash-mouth identity he intends to foster. When training camp opens today at 6:30 p.m., the Packers will endeavor to transform the offense's image from a West Coast, finesse style to a more punishing 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Scheme no cure-all

The lead zone-blocking scheme, which is offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski's pet project, is an intriguing concept with terrific potential. But in and of itself, it isn't a cure-all. The NFL's best ground games require a premier back, an above-average offensive line, the threat of a passing attack and an unwavering commitment to it.

The Packers appear to have two of the four elements. Depending upon one's viewpoint, that isn't half bad, or it isn't nearly enough to do the job.

Brett Favre is eminently capable of providing the necessary passing threat, and McCarthy seems unbending in terms of his commitment to running the ball. But the interior offensive line and the lead running back are concerns.

"The hardest part about running the football is dealing with zero- and 1-yard gains," McCarthy said Thursday at his pre-training camp news conference.

"I've been a big believer, and I've said it all the time, you give me 1 and 2 yards in the first quarter, 2 and 3 yards in the second quarter, 3 and 4 yards in the third quarter, the fourth quarter that ball's coming out the back end. That's the mind-set we'll have running the football."

"Yeah, they'll boo when you keep running. It's a commitment, a long-term commitment. People sometimes have a tendency to get away from the running game early in the game. You need to commit to it. That's not to say you start every game with 10 straight runs. You have to make a commitment to it over the course of the season."

All the ingredients?

The concern, of course, is the Packers' inexperience at the guard positions and the injury-related question marks at running back. Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport are trying to rebound from significant injuries, and Samkon Gado is a work in progress.

In theory, a run-first, pass-second mentality should lessen the number of hits on Favre and promote ball control. With an upgraded defense and a more aggressive approach to special teams, it should instill a team-wide toughness that's been missing.

"(Zone blocking) is our No. 1 priority," McCarthy said.

"That's the way we're going to go. I also think it speaks to the common thread that I'm always looking for with our team. How we're going to play. It's an aggressive, downhill style and you're cutting (defenders) on the backside and it definitely fits the identity of our team."

McCarthy's plan is sound. Today we begin to find out if the Packers have the personnel to pull it off.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 |or by e-mail at chavel@greenbay.gannett.com

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
this article can be summed up in four words.inexperienced guards and injury questions. the guards will be inexperienced all season so the big question is how green and davenport rebound. if they come back strong, the pack, even with rookie guards, should be able to run the ball efficently.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 12:53 AM
this article can be summed up in four words.inexperienced guards and injury questions. the guards will be inexperienced all season so the big question is how green and davenport rebound. if they come back strong, the pack, even with rookie guards, should be able to run the ball efficently.

If you are a runinng back like Barry Sanders was (Houdini like), I would agree but we have noone now that Green is in the state he's in ( serious injury and age) that in any real sense fits - as even approaching that talented of a RB.

We need an OL that prevents the oppositions defence from penetrating OUR OL and reducing OUR runs to minus whatever - to +2.5 yards.Our OL has to open the holes for the RB to get through on the play and stymey the defence from busting OUR RB's butts.

TRUST this statement.

The absolute key to OUR success, if any this season - will be credited to surprizingly good to solid OL play and the DL play (we are realistically hoping for).

The game is generally won or lost depending on the play of the Team's OL and DL .

It's ALL - on " the line's ".