PDA

View Full Version : Championship Defense

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Tonight we made a statement against none other than the mighty Ravens D. I know, I know, our D didn't play theirs, but the comparisons were there coming in.

Our D flat out brought it tonight, turnovers, lack of yardage, got stuck with a first and goal from the one and let ZERO points go.

Hawk is representing himself well, the DLine collapses the pocket, and even though TWill got flagged a few times he still came up big in the clutch.

I've NEVER seen so many ticky tacky PI calls both ways. DBacks who are looking back for the ball, fighting for it rarely get called, but I saw 5 flags like that tonight (3 on us 2 on them). Flacco did finally answer my question about teams throwing at woodson....he simply stopped doing it.

Anyway I could go on and on, but I want the rats opinions on this D...is it championship caliber?

mmmdk
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Those 3 rookie defenders are awesome now & for the future.

WUHUU !!!

channtheman
12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
We need Harris so QB's throw at Woodson. Then he can go to town on them. Boy do our LB's look good, espeically the guys we picked up in this draft. And Raji coming together. I would rather have Raji over Crabby ANYDAY.

PackerTimer
12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Tonight we made a statement against none other than the mighty Ravens D. I know, I know, our D didn't play theirs, but the comparisons were there coming in.

Our D flat out brought it tonight, turnovers, lack of yardage, got stuck with a first and goal from the one and let ZERO points go.

Hawk is representing himself well, the DLine collapses the pocket, and even though TWill got flagged a few times he still came up big in the clutch.

I've NEVER seen so many ticky tacky PI calls both ways. DBacks who are looking back for the ball, fighting for it rarely get called, but I saw 5 flags like that tonight (3 on us 2 on them). Flacco did finally answer my question about teams throwing at woodson....he simply stopped doing it.

Anyway I could go on and on, but I want the rats opinions on this D...is it championship caliber?

I love this defense. Great players all over the place. Woodson is having a tremendous season. Barnett is healthy and make a lot of plays. Hawk is starting to live up to expectations. Matthews has got to get serious consideration for defensive rookie of the year. Collins is playing great.

I think if this team could clean up some of those stupid penalties we could have something really good brewing here. The O-Line is playing much improved. Rodgers is having a great season and the defense. I don't think a lot of teams want to play the Packers in the playoffs.

Bossman641
12-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I agree this is a championship defense IF Pickett and Raji don't have serious injuries. The DL rotation on this squad is a HUGE asset.

pbmax
12-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I agree this is a championship defense IF Pickett and Raji don't have serious injuries. The DL rotation on this squad is a HUGE asset.
Raji came back into the game.

Bossman641
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Raji came back into the game.

Ya I know he came back in, but was there ever an update to his condition? Was he toughing it out or 100%? I'd hate to see him go back to how he was playing 4-5 weeks ago. He has just recently started to flash.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-08-2009, 12:22 AM

WUHUU !!!

Who are the 3 rookie defenders?

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 12:29 AM

WUHUU !!!

I would assume Clay Matthews and Brad Jones (the two rookies starting) and B.J. Raji.

Though Jarius Wynn, Brandon Underwood, and Trevor Ford all have potential as well.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM

WUHUU !!!

I would assume Clay Matthews and Brad Jones (the two rookies starting) and B.J. Raji.

Though Jarius Wynn, Brandon Underwood, and Trevor Ford all have potential as well.

Ty would be hardpressed to use the adjective "awesome" when describing Jones.

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 12:44 AM

WUHUU !!!

I would consider the adjective "possibly better than Kampman for this defense" though. His zone drops are excellent and he's got a decent speed rush.

Brandon494
12-08-2009, 01:24 AM

WUHUU !!!

awesome value for a 7th rounder.

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 01:47 AM
awesome value for a 7th rounder.

The bar for seventh rounders isn't set very high. He made the final roster, which is in and of itself an accomplishment for a 7th round pick. He also plays, has started due to injury. More to the point, he apparently understands what he's supposed to be doing and he's reasonably competent in covering the short zone (which is probably more than we could say about Kampman).

But awesome? I dunno.

bobblehead
12-08-2009, 12:23 PM

WUHUU !!!

Perhaps not compared to Mathews, but compared to expectations....a 7th rounder starting and not looking the fool is awesome in my book.

Brandon494
12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Kid could be a steal, started 36 games in college playing in a 3-4 defense. He is also very smart, if he can bulk up he should be a long term future starter for us.

MichiganPackerFan
12-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Williams got 3 PI's in a closely called game. Could have had 2 or 4. However, I thought he ran well with the receivers and stayed in their pocket. Grabby Smurf got called for a lot, but that was generally because he got beat and had to hold. Williams seem to get his when playing for the ball.