PDA

View Full Version : Tramon Williams as a starting corner

Patler
12-08-2009, 08:37 AM
An interesting tidbit I have been following about Tramon Williams as a starting corner in their base defense (as opposed to getting a "start" as the nickel back):

In 2007 he started the last game of the year in place of Woodson, and had an interception.

In 2008 he started four games at corner when Harris was out. He had interceptions in three of those games.

In 2009 so far, he has started two games at corner in place of Harris, and has an interception in each game.

7 starts at corner in their base defense, and he has had an interception in 6 of those games. The guy has good hands, probably from playing so much basketball.

ND72
12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
An interesting tidbit I have been following about Tramon Williams as a starting corner in their base defense (as opposed to getting a "start" as the nickel back):

In 2007 he started the last game of the year in place of Woodson, and had an interception.

In 2008 he started four games at corner when Harris was out. He had interceptions in three of those games.

In 2009 so far, he has started two games at corner in place of Harris, and has an interception in each game.

7 starts at corner in their base defense, and he has had an interception in 6 of those games. The guy has good hands, probably from playing so much basketball.

He was some kind of amazing when he came here with the guys to play basketball!

Patler
12-08-2009, 08:45 AM

He was some kind of amazing when he came here with the guys to play basketball!

...and his wife might be better! She was a quite successful NCAA player, although Tramon claims he can beat her, barely!

Fritz
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I bet he holds her a lot!

Fosco33
12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Good stat. How many TDs and PIs has he allowed? How many times was he targeted, what's the pass success rate (deflections, drops, etc.)?

I still think he's too agressive (there is a line). He'll make some plays - but seems to give up just as many.

Scott Campbell
12-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I think he'll get continue to get picked on until he earns a reputation.

Patler
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM

He'll get picked on until Charles Woodson is not on the other side!

Patler
12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Good stat. How many TDs and PIs has he allowed? How many times was he targeted, what's the pass success rate (deflections, drops, etc.)?

I don't know, let us know when you find out! ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I bet he holds her a lot!

Post up!

Fosco33
12-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Ha - I wish that was readily available. I'd say it's a truer measure of the skill a CB possesses - and the coaches definitely track that. My point being - INTs aren't everything.

Patler
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Ha - I wish that was readily available. I'd say it's a truer measure of the skill a CB possesses - and the coaches definitely track that. My point being - INTs aren't everything.

I didn't mean to imply that they were. I have just found it curious that TW gets them so regularly when he starts at corner.

My general impression is that he does well in the other categories too. I thought one of the PI calls last night was weak, perhaps technically correct, but a weak call. I don't find him too aggressive. I think he is fine, and that the Packers are fortunate to have someone that good to fill in for Harris.

mission
12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
You know, I was thinking about this last night...

I remember Ahmad Carroll getting maybe even two illegal hands to the face penalties and I was flipping my lid, throwing shit at the TV, screaming where I was going to bury AC's body parts, etc ...

As much as all the PI calls were annoying last night, I never got that same feeling with Tramon. You always hold your breath on a deep ball, and hope for the best, but I'm generally pleased with 38 in general. He's made up for it with a lot of turnovers. AC just never made a play... he had J. Bush hands.

Tramon gave up a ton of yards on penalties but I never wanted his head. He'll be a pretty good corner for us if he isn't considered that already.

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Tramon gave up a ton of yards on penalties but I never wanted his head.

I sort of wonder though, psychologically, how much of that is due to the refs also calling those ticky-tacky PI penalties on the other team?

mission
12-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Tramon gave up a ton of yards on penalties but I never wanted his head.

I sort of wonder though, psychologically, how much of that is due to the refs also calling those ticky-tacky PI penalties on the other team?

Probably a lot. I felt we were getting some questionable calls our way. It's almost as if the refs started the game with a couple calls against each side and they had to keep calling another penalty to make up for a questionable one before it. Then they'd have to flipflop it for THAT previous call... and so on and so on all the way to penalty infamy. :lol:

It was strange, but like a (good) baseball umpire, they had "their" strikezone and called it even for both teams.

LEWCWA
12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

I still think he's too agressive (there is a line). He'll make some plays - but seems to give up just as many.

Thats just it though, CB's are going to give up plays in todays NFL. The rules just dictate that. The fact that he is making some of his own plays tells the story imo.

KYPack
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I think our two vets taught the kid a few tricks. Tramon thinks he can use that arm bar every play. You gotta mix and match those old pro tricks. he'll learn when to do that.

Patler
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Before last night, Williams had one pass interference penalty and two illegal contact penalties. He leads the team in passes defensed with 17. Collins is second with 13. Woodson has 12.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Williams played amazing yesterday I thought. I think he's the answer for Harris.

Scott Campbell
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM

He'll get picked on until Charles Woodson is not on the other side!

I think teams will eventually learn that the talent level didn't fall off a cliff when we transitioned from Al to Tramon. But they'll probably have to learn the hard way.

rbaloha1
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
TW is always in good position. Lacks the craftiness of Al Harris though.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I think teams will eventually learn that the talent level didn't fall off a cliff when we transitioned from Al to Tramon. But they'll probably have to learn the hard way.

Maybe. I think you'll see them try to exploit Bush more. That's where the dropoff is. Harris to Bush in the nickel.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I wish Pat Lee wasn't injured. I would have loved to see if he could have stepped up and filled in as the nickel corner. Would have been a perfect chance for him to show what he could do. Could have really used him now and even Blackman too.

bobblehead
12-09-2009, 11:46 AM

I didn't mean to imply that they were. I have just found it curious that TW gets them so regularly when he starts at corner.

My general impression is that he does well in the other categories too. I thought one of the PI calls last night was weak, perhaps technically correct, but a weak call. I don't find him too aggressive. I think he is fine, and that the Packers are fortunate to have someone that good to fill in for Harris.

I thought 2 of them were weak. For several seasons I have complained about other DB's not getting flags we get and had friends and others say the difference is that "their" guys are looking for the ball and jostling while our guys were not looking up while jostling. TWill got flagged not once, but TWICE while his head was up looking for the ball. Once his man basically slowed down to draw the contact while Tramon was looking back for the ball and they bumped, that should never be a flag.

Right now we/he has the reputation and its going to be hard to shake. Obviously Baltimore has the same reputation as they got flagged 4 times on D as well (and 2 of those were bad calls). I am pretty sick of the 40 yard penalty...as MM would say that has to get fixed...but I mean by the league. A subjective call (and PI is subjective, like holding) should never completely flip field position. They should make all PI penalties 10 yards and automatic first down....not one inch more.

bobblehead
12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Williams played amazing yesterday I thought. I think he's the answer for Harris.

The question must be "What to do when Al Harris turns 50 Alex?"

If Al is healthy he is still a top 10 corner in the entire league. I think this is evident by the fact that we saw his replacement get camera time as much in one game as Al had all season....and his replacement is pretty good.

Smidgeon
12-09-2009, 11:52 AM
They should make all PI penalties 10 yards and automatic first down....not one inch more.

And give all teams the license to mug receivers on throws longer than 10 yards.

gbgary
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
of course he's gonna be targeted...he, and we, will just have to get over it. i thought he played well. he was with the receiver all the time, he doesn't get intimidated (not even by the refs who were clearly on a different plain than everyone else), he made two possible game-saving plays with the INT and the tackle on the kick return. one other thing...HE'S ALL WE'VE GOT. give him some time and i think we'll all be impressed.

gbgary
12-09-2009, 12:52 PM
They should make all PI penalties 10 yards and automatic first down....not one inch more.

exactly...can't do that!

get louder at lambeau
12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
If Al is healthy he is still a top 10 corner in the entire league.

Oh, yahh.

bobblehead
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM

If they would rather give up an automatic first down than actually...you know, defend the pass, then feel free. Any penalty that carries and auto first will never be intentionally committed just because.

The problem with the way the rule is, is that you can completely shift the field and potentially momentum. A team that has 3rd and 15 from the 50 gets a 40 yard PI call (that might be iffy) changes a GAME. One call should never have that kind of impact. At the very least how about letting a coach use his 2 red flags on PI calls. The booth is fully capable of looking at a replay and saying...."yes that was PI, or no, that was not PI" You can review the spotting of the ball, but you can't review a 40 yard penalty??