PDA

View Full Version : Special teams lane integrity

RashanGary
12-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I posted this in a random thread, but I think it was interesting. They don't give us good views of ST's, so for the first time, with the aerial, I was able to see the play develop.

I was sitting in indoor club seats for the game last night. Derrick Martin was jumping around, all fired up, before the big ST's return that they gave up. My brother and I watched him because he looked ready to kill. As soon as the ball was kicked, he ran down there first out of the gate like William Wallace in Braveheart leading charge.

Then I saw something the camera views on TV never show. I was sitting in the North endzone up in the indoor clubs and I had an aerial shot of the whole play developing. Every guy ran down with organized lane integrity. Martin was the only guy who cut out of his lane to avoid a blocker and try to sneak behind to make a star ST's play. Instead, he left his gap, got shoved to the side by the blocker and bam, a huge return broke loose right up his gap. I mean, as soon as he left, taht returner cur up right where Martin used to be.

Very next play his ST's position was moved from right near the kicker to a couple places down.

I'm not sure exactly what is happening on every play, but if tonights horrible play by Marin is an example of what is happening when our ST's fails, someone needs to be fired. Look how quickly Capers installed accountablity. It seems Slocum has none. Good bye.

red
12-08-2009, 08:57 AM
good catch, could very well be the problem

this team has no discipline, why should special teams lane assignments be any different?

RashanGary
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
good catch, could very well be the problem

this team has no discipline, why should special teams lane assignments be any different?

I feel like the defense and offense show discipline. They're both playing in the upper tier of the NFL. The ST's is dead last. Not 22nd, 27th or something really bad like that. They're dead last. Nobody worse in the entire NFL. Weird how MM and Capers are getting a lot out of the talent but Slocum has the worst unit in the NFL.

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Reposted from another thread:

Noted that they screwed up on the long return. Every other KO was angled to the corner, but the long return was down the middle. Actually, Crosby has become very skilled at the coffin corner KO. I suspect the coaches are using that to cover flaws in the KO coverage team, but don't like it due to the possibility of a start at the 40 on the OObounds penalty. They are just going to have to keep kicking to the corner. With injuries, you have to move everyone up and you're just going to get inexperienced guys/guys that haven't practiced together as long on 'teams. It's too bad, but that's one area where a young team (depth) can come up short. The good news is that the guys that got promoted due to injuries are doing OK (OK, OK, Williams had a rough outing). Anyway, Keep up the Koffin Korner Kickoffs.

KYPack
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Noted that they screwed up on the long return. Every other KO was angled to the corner, but the long return was down the middle. Actually, Crosby has become very skilled at the coffin corner KO. I suspect the coaches are using that to cover flaws in the KO coverage team, but don't like it due to the possibility of a start at the 40 on the OObounds penalty. They are just going to have to keep kicking to the corner. With injuries, you have to move everyone up and you're just going to get inexperienced guys/guys that haven't practiced together as long on 'teams. It's too bad, but that's one area where a young team (depth) can come up short. The good news is that the guys that got promoted due to injuries are doing OK (OK, OK, Williams had a rough outing). Anyway, Keep up the Koffin Korner Kickoffs.

You are quite right, MRD. "Stay in your lanes, goddammit" would help like crazy. "Coffin corner' is a punt team term and is designed to go out of bounds. A kick-off to the corner is called "outside the numbers" or a 'squeeze' left or right.

Fritz
12-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Well, keep squeezing, and stay in your damn lanes, special teamers.

Interesting tidbit, JH. Good stuff.

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM

You are quite right, MRD. "Stay in your lanes, goddammit" would help like crazy. "Coffin corner' is a punt team term and is designed to go out of bounds. A kick-off to the corner is called "outside the numbers" or a 'squeeze' left or right.

Thanks for the tip, but I Kinda like Koffin Korner Kickoff. Stay in your Lane(s) Kiffin likes it too.