PDA

View Full Version : Brad Jones

3irty1
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Is he the answer at LOLB? He had a pretty good game last night and went right around Oher for a beautiful KGB-in-his-prime edge bending sack. This position was high on my list of needs but if Clay is actually going to be a 8-12 sack/year guy then is Brad Jones our man? You've got to love his ability to cover too. Even if Jones won't be a pass rusher his speed in coverage allow us to zone blitz more than they could with Kampman.

Plus the dudes a genius, Recall the PI article that talked about his degree in economics and being 4 classes away from another in astrophysics :shock: Said that if he weren't playing football he'd be in law school. At worst this guy is a defensive Samkon Gado for 2009.

Sparkey
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
at this point his play is SOLID. Much more important, he seems to be assignment sure, which is very important in this scheme. My only concern is whether or not his play is because he is fresher than the guys he is going against.

He should, however, get even better with experience.

Fritz
12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
You and Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones....you got a thing....goin' on.

channtheman
12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure he went around Gaither on that sack. The Ravens switch Oher from LT to RT and vice versa a lot.

red
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
i'd say he's an improvement over kampman, but its still too early to tell if he's the longterm answer at olb

bobblehead
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure he went around Gaither on that sack. The Ravens switch Oher from LT to RT and vice versa a lot.

Seriously?? Why on earth would they do that? Not questioning your knowledge as I have none on the subject, but that would seem pretty foolish unless an injury forced it.

channtheman
12-08-2009, 12:24 PM

Seriously?? Why on earth would they do that? Not questioning your knowledge as I have none on the subject, but that would seem pretty foolish unless an injury forced it.

Oher is 74 I believe, if you can go back and watch how is constantly playing both RT and LT. I think Brad Jones went around 71 on that play which would be Gaither.

As for why they do that. No idea as I was wondering myself last night. You would think they keep him at LT all the time.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 12:26 PM

They did it several times but I don't know the exact reasoning. But they obviously like their talent on the O Line better than some other offensive options as they kept bringing in more O lineman to overload the line. Two guys kept reporting as eligible everytime they got inside the 10. Cam Cameron is their O coordinator.

One thing Larry McCarren noticed on the radio broadcast was that Oher would duck his head to get in a push on the pass rusher and both Jones and Matthews ole'd his head and shoulders and went right by him to hit the QB. That both did it to the same guy would seem to indicate it was covered and countered by their coaches. And that may mean Kevin Greene is a serious coach for the LBs. And that is a great thing.

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM

Oher is 74 I believe, if you can go back and watch how is constantly playing both RT and LT. I think Brad Jones went around 71 on that play which would be Gaither.

As for why they do that. No idea as I was wondering myself last night. You would think they keep him at LT all the time.

Yeah, I was all WTF?

MrsAynRand: "Where is Oher? He's the one from that book and movie"
MrAynrand: "Look over there, Oher plays left tackle"
MrsAynRand: "That doesn't look like him."
Mraynrand: "He's wearing a helmet and someone else's uniform."
DaughterAynRand: "Dad, you're full of shit - Oher switches from LT to RT and back all the time."
Mraynrand: "You are correct, and you are grounded."

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I think Brad Jones is a keeper. He's a guy who's going to be sufficiently high on your depth chart at LOLB that he gets playing time. He's probably a guy that you're always looking to upgrade on, but the kid really does understand what his responsibilities are and what the defense is all about, so we could certainly do both for the time being.

mission
12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I think Brad Jones is a keeper. He's a guy who's going to be sufficiently high on your depth chart at LOLB that he gets playing time. He's probably a guy that you're always looking to upgrade on, but the kid really does understand what his responsibilities are and what the defense is all about, so we could certainly do both for the time being.

You hit the nail on the head IMO!

He's that guy you're always trying to upgrade but he keeps working his ass off -- and being extremely smart -- and you just can't get him off the field, he keeps making decent plays (and not making stupid ones). Plus with the coaching we have and Pitt's ability (somehow this is relevant heh) to make unknowns into LB superstars, we can definitely expect him to reach his ceiling... however high (or low) that might be. Either way, he's in the best situation he could probably be in as a young professional. This defense definitely plays to his strengths.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I was all WTF?

DaughterAynRand: "Dad, you're full of shit - Oher switches from LT to RT and back all the time."
Its good you spend that kind of quality time with your family Rand. :D

Waldo
12-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Jones went around #74.

MadScientist
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I thought the announcers said they pulled one of the tackles over to the other side to create an unbalanced line, or some sort of extra lineman run package. Whatever it was, it didn't do much for them.

ND72
12-08-2009, 03:59 PM
They did move Oher around RT & LT, but Jones did beat Oher #74 on that play...plus Jones came around on the defensive left, or the offensive Right side...and Oher was back at RT for that.

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I think Jones will just get better with more PT and will come into next season as the starter. I don't see a huge need to spend a high draft choice to challenge or upgrade him.

KYPack
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
The Bengals are doing the same thing with Andre Smith. I think it's a case of knowing you have a stud young OT and you want to see if he can handle the key LT job.

Waldo, I know you watch a lot of tape. Watch Smith. he is very young, but he is the real deal. Huge, very strong and extremely light on his tree trunk legs. He's is an embryonic superstar. All the knocks on him had zero to do with play on the field. he's a good one who's gonna be great.

SkinBasket
12-08-2009, 05:15 PM
I believe this topic has already been covered in depth:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=478426

rbaloha1
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Another seventh round gem. A keeper as previously mentioned. Franchise AK and trade him.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM

You should think about handing out some "Didn't Look Retarded" hardware at the end of the season. I am pretty sure a local access station will broadcast it. Maybe Ziggy and 007 will dress up and walk across the red carpet for us as well.

get louder at lambeau
12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
You and Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones, Mr. Jones....you got a thing....goin' on.

Or, alternatively (yes, bad pun intended, so suck it.)-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYN74ZW4k_E&feature=fvw

Fritz
12-08-2009, 08:43 PM

You should think about handing out some "Didn't Look Retarded" hardware at the end of the season. I am pretty sure a local access station will broadcast it. Maybe Ziggy and 007 will dress up and walk across the red carpet for us as well.

Yeah, baby, yeah!

MJZiggy
12-08-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm gonna need some money for those boots and probably that dress too. It's probably gonna cost a lot.

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
If we're spending the Packerrats budget on boots and dresses, can I put in a request for This Amazing Shirt (http://www.packersproshop.com/product/sku_3709023020/f735aeda7126918e/)?

MJZiggy
12-08-2009, 09:15 PM
If we're spending the Packerrats budget on boots and dresses, can I put in a request for This Amazing Shirt (http://www.packersproshop.com/product/sku_3709023020/f735aeda7126918e/)?

You want us to wear that over boots and dresses??

pbmax
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
That shirt is pretty understated. People may still be confused who you are rooting for. :lol:

Guiness
12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Have to ask Skin, what is that pendant? Jade?

bobblehead
12-08-2009, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I was all WTF?

did you ground her for saying you were full of shit, or for knowing more about football than you??