PDA

View Full Version : Penalties, Special Teams, Play Calling

Fritz
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Those are the three areas that concern me most after watching last night's game. The penalties we've all banged our heads against the wall about - what is it with this team, anyway?

The pass interference calls reminded me of the way of the NFL about 8 or 10 years ago. Does anybody remember that two or three year stretch where the officials called pass intereference all the time? If you needed a chunk of yardage, coordinators would just chuck it up and get a call. It was maddening. But I think the NFL saw what was happening, or players and coaches adapted, and changed the rules or the way they played.

Special teams. Kee-rist. Can we fire Slocum after the season? It's week 12 - well, twelve games have been played - and the offense has improved, the defense has improved, and the special teams suck on. Crosby's two fairly-close-range misses are cause for some alarm - is his confidence shaken? - and this special teams unit can't seem to keep on task.

I was bothered by the play calling last night. At risk of sounding like Bo Schmebecler, run the damn ball. Toward the end of the game, Green Bay needing to keep possession, finally - finally - MM calls two runs from his own 20, I believe. He faces a third and two or three.

Does he call the kind of f*cuk you run that sends a message to his own team and the other's? Does he call a short route to get the three yards - some quick short high percentage?

No - he calls a back-shoulder sideline throw to Jones that goes nowhere. Team has to punt.

Only once in the game that I saw did he run the ball three times in a row. Guess what? A first down after the first two runs, and a gain of two on the next.

The line pass blocked well but had no chance to get untracked run blocking because of the lack of run calls. I fear that MM is sliding back into his early habits - where are the shorter underneath routes on those plays where Rodgers is scrambling all day and can find no one?

Patler
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Kickoff coverage is absolutely maddening. First time in my life that I have started cringing on every kickoff. I am relieved if they give up a 30 yard return, the 50+ returns are so frequent. If GB kicks a field goal, instead of appreciating the added Packer points I worry that the kickoff will put the other team in position for a net 4 point swing their way.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
McCarthy said it was clear early they were committed to stopping the run. He did not indicate what method they were using. Eighth man in the box, traffic cones, capes or those little flashlights ushers carry at the movies. The Packers were making hay running left but runs to the right were going nowhere. Did Tauscher really struggle?

As for the throw to Jones, that is only one route in the play call when there are probably 4 people out for a pass. That could have been Rodgers read. But I agree, a first down is best, but running the ball forces the timeout to be called and gets them under 2 minutes on the clock. Also safer, though a sideline route (not an out) is a pretty safe throw.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Kickoff coverage is absolutely maddening. First time in my life that I have started cringing on every kickoff. I am relieved if they give up a 30 yard return, the 50+ returns are so frequent. If GB kicks a field goal, instead of appreciating the added Packer points I worry that the kickoff will put the other team in position for a net 4 point swing their way.
Exactly. My anxiety over the defense last year has moved over completely intact to the ST. The only benefit is that they are on the field less.

RashanGary
12-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Offensively and defensively, this is really developing into a great season but last night I left really frustrated about ST's.

I want this team to be legit and I know they have the team, right now, to compete with anyone but ST's (particularly coverage units and penalties on returns) is absolutely killing us. We can get to the playoffs, but we can't win with ST's like this.

Hopefully we luck out and have a good ST's performance in teh playoffs, but I'm getting to the poitn where it will have to be luck because we really stink. Worst in teh NFL.

Airin' Rodgers
12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Completely agreed. Crosby frustrates me but I can't put the miss completely on him because of the bobble by Flynn. Kickoff coverage is just horrendous. Is it just me or is punting and punt coverage slightly improving?

mission
12-08-2009, 01:54 PM
MM still isn't the answer IMO

Fritz
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
The special teams are atrocious. Like Patler, I greet a 30 yard kickoff return by the opposing team with a sigh of relief. Any long return by the Packer is sure to be accompanied by a flag that drags the team back. It's de rigeur now.

But the play calling is maddening. MM just seems to fall in love with throwing the football. I know it's a 55-45 league, pass to run, but MM just doesn't seem to do anything more than give token nod to the run.

If you're nearing field goal range and you have a first down, two runs that net you, say, two measly yards each, gets you into a manageable third down. I just thought MM had a chance to salt the game away when he ran it twice in a row near the end and in a third and two situation he called a pass - one that seemed to me fairly low percentage, as opposed to a back going out or a tight end over the middle.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Did you see the stat last night that Green Bay is second in the league in converting 3rd and 3 or shorter? Hard to complain about a 3rd and short call considering the success they've shown this year. Every team's fan complain about play calling.
:D

pbmax
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
You have company. gbgary is still awaiting M3's execution according to his sig.

mission
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
You have company. gbgary is still awaiting M3's execution according to his sig.

I feel way better about this team but my stance hasn't changed at all during this four-game winning streak. We could win out and win the Super Bowl and unless it starts getting obvious that we aren't winning despite MM then I won't think any differently.

There's a lot of talent on this team, they SHOULD beat the Ravens, and the Cowboys, and the 49ers, etc...

Let's see if we continue to progress... which, btw, I can't seem to figure out why we have to start so slow every single year and finger it out over and over and over again.

get louder at lambeau
12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Did you see the stat last night that Green Bay is second in the league in converting 3rd and 3 or shorter? Hard to complain about a 3rd and short call considering the success they've shown this year. Every team's fan complain about play calling.

Yep.

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Gruden put the whammy on the Packers talking that stat up!

Brandon494
12-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Gruden was in love with Rodgers, you telling me he wouldnt want to coach in GB? Much rather have him then MM.

Fritz
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM

I know. If I were calling plays, people would kill me for being predictable and boring.

You are right, though. We love to complain. Me, too. Really, though I just don't understand the lack of running.

pbmax
12-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Gruden was in love with Rodgers, you telling me he wouldnt want to coach in GB? Much rather have him then MM.
Do not want. Drama King. Napoleon complex. Stay away.

digitaldean
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
The way Gruden talks up almost every team, I swear he's auditioning or sucking up to get another HC gig.

Don't get me wrong, he's light years better than Kornholio, but I think Jaworski would have to be begging to make it a 2-man booth next season.

MJZiggy
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Do not want. Drama King. Napoleon complex. Stay away.

I can't handle listening to him in the booth, then I'd have to listen to his interviews too?? Egads!

channtheman
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
The way Gruden talks up almost every team, I swear he's auditioning or sucking up to get another HC gig.

Don't get me wrong, he's light years better than Kornholio, but I think Jaworski would have to be begging to make it a 2-man booth next season.

I really don't see why we need a 3rd guy on MNF. Jaws and Tirico are great together. There's always some 3rd wheel dipshit fucking things up though.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM

I really don't see why we need a 3rd guy on MNF. Jaws and Tirico are great together. There's always some 3rd wheel dipshit fucking things up though.

Ty thinks Tirico blows.

Bretsky
12-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Ty thinks Tirico blows.

Bretsky agrees; he is boring

Jaws and Chuckie are a great combo

Fritz
12-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I agree with PB. Gruden would be a terrible choice for coach. Terrible.

He sucks at announcing, too.