PDA

View Full Version : LA Vikings update

3irty1
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Well there hasn't been discussion on this for a while but there has been news. In November the Governator signed a bill sweeping aside a law suite that would prevent the construction of LA Stadium. In other words the last piece of the puzzle is an NFL team to commit to a move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umyc50uTt0c

Of course the Vikings are still in the mix of teams who must have a new stadium and still don't have the support they need.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Minnesota-Vikings-moving-to-L-A-?urn=nfl,203892

Personally I think an NFL team is going to move to LA and take this deal. With the economy the way it is and with the state some teams are in I think its a real possibility. The 4 most talked about teams are Minnesota, Jacksonville, Chargers and Rams.

Minnesota would likely be LA's first choice. If it weren't for finances this would be a tough franchise to uproot. Wilf wants the public to fund 75% of the new stadium he's proposed which would have a retractable roof. Minnesota thinks its a little too ambitious of a project with too ambitious of a price tag. Its election year in MN and that could go either way for them. Nobody wants to be the asshole who raises taxes but I'm sure nobody wants to be the asshole that ran the queens out of town. My guess is that Wilf will either find a cheaper solution or move the team. The recent news regarding the stadium revenue sharing which hits the Vikings as hard as anyone, a new team in LA has to be looking good. Wilf might not want to move but I'm sure he likes money and MN just hasn't been financially viable for him thus far. Its not even a given that a new stadium would completely change that anyways.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Minnesota will build a new stadium. They just did it for the Twins and Gophers. Legislators are just waiting until they have to okay it... saving the city/state money.

3irty1
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Minnesota will build a new stadium. They just did it for the Twins and Gophers. Legislators are just waiting until they have to okay it... saving the city/state money.

The other stadiums were approved before the bridge project and also cost less with more fan support. I don't think the approval is a gimme. The fact that these stadium proposals have fallen flat in the past means something. Ideally they'd have gotten something going last year as the lease is up in 2012. They need time to build.

Scott Campbell
12-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Zygi's from NJ, so is there any reason he'd prefer to keep the team in MN?

Freak Out
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Does Jacksonville have the worst fan support of any of those teams? I've heard that all of their home games have been blacked out this year.

CaliforniaCheez
12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
A move to LA would be great for the Packers.

More revenue
Natural turf
More media exposure
A game every year in this state for me.
Minnesota and the Dakotas revert back to Packer territory as it was before the NFL unwisely wedged the purple slime into Packer territory.

Nobody really missed them when Minnesota's other 2 NFL franchises folded.
It is not like they will leave a legacy or any throphies behind.

Minnesota just doesn't support football so it is good that the NFL gets more revenue elsewhere. The Packers will sell more merchandise in Minnesota than they do now as their fanbase grows.

The Twin Cities markets will televise Packer's games.

There is no downside to a viking move at all!!

get louder at lambeau
12-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Does Jacksonville have the worst fan support of any of those teams? I've heard that all of their home games have been blacked out this year.

I think they are the most likely to move. They really have no reason to stay in Jacksonville, and they are the closest thing to a failed franchise in the NFL. It seems like a no-brainer to jump ship and try their luck in the country's 2nd largest market.

MadScientist
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

More revenue
Natural turf
More media exposure

Unlikely. If they move to LA, they will also move to the NFC west. St Louis would likely move to the NFC North. All you would get is the pleasure of watching the Vikings (or whatever they will call themselves) play SF twice a year.

Sparkey
12-08-2009, 03:46 PM

More revenue
Natural turf
More media exposure
Minnesota and the Dakotas revert back to Packer territory as it was before the NFL unwisely wedged the purple slime into Packer territory.

Minnesota just doesn't support football so it is good that the NFL gets more revenue elsewhere. The Packers will sell more merchandise in Minnesota than they do now as their fanbase grows.

If the Vikings moved to LA, I would expect to see the league switch them to the NFC West and move St Louis to the NFC North. Logistically, it makes the most sense.

Freak Out
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Unlikely. If they move to LA, they will also move to the NFC west. St Louis would likely move to the NFC North. All you would get is the pleasure of watching the Vikings (or whatever they will call themselves) play SF twice a year.

I can see that happening.

mngolf19
12-08-2009, 04:14 PM

More revenue
Natural turf
More media exposure

If any of the Vike fans are like me, they will just stop following the NFL entirely. And yes MN does support football, just extremely tight with their money when it comes to giving it to rich people. Some might save overly so but it's really more along the lines of "that's just the way it is so deal with it".

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Disagree. What Ziggy wants just doesn't have the support and isn't feasible at this time. A Metrodump refurbishing is the much more likely of an option.

red
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
florio wrote a piece the other day stating that the only thing keeping the team afloat is that very small percent of the revenue sharing that will be going away in the uncapped year

the metro dome lease is up in 2011, if minnesota wants to keep the queens they better get their heads out of their asses fast

to me, jacksonville makes the most sense for the move. heres a playoff team, with an very exciting young player, and they won't sell out a single game this year. the town just refuses to support a team

red
12-08-2009, 04:54 PM
heres the article

Revenue-sharing changes could force Vikings to L.A.
Posted by Mike Florio on December 7, 2009 5:37 PM ET
With the NFL scuttling supplemental revenue sharing and Minnesota facing a ten-figure budget deficit, the planets could be getting a bit closer to aligning in a way that sends the Vikings to a new town.

Presumably, to Los Angeles.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the league's refusal to continue with supplemental revenue sharing will cost the Vikings $15 million to $20 million per year.

And so, if the extra money to help make the team profitable in Minnesota won't be available, the Vikings might have to move to a market where more money will come from the local fans and businesses.

Like Los Angeles.

Complicating matters is the reality that Minnesota is projecting a $1.2 billion shortfall, which will make it even harder for the Vikings to secure public financing for a new stadium.

Then there's the fact that the clock is ticking, even more loudly than the biological mechanisms of Mona Lisa Veto.

The team's lease at the Metrodome expires after the 2011 season. At that point, the Vikings can go wherever they want, if enough of the rest of the NFL's owners approve.

It would be hard to envision enough of the rest of the owners not approving a move out of Minnesota, given that the owners have contributed to this mess by pulling the plug on a revenue stream that is helping to keep the team afloat in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Permalink 123 Comments

so starting next season the team is gonna start losing money, and the state is flat broke and really can't afford a stadium right now

so even though they have a great fan base, they're gonna fail as a business without a new stadium, or a move

Jimx29
12-08-2009, 04:55 PM
wth would the nfl want yet another west coast team?

ferchristsake they already have San Diego, Oakland, and San Fran :?

Freak Out
12-08-2009, 05:01 PM
wth would the nfl want yet another west coast team?

ferchristsake they already have San Diego, Oakland, and San Fran :?

Seattle......

red
12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
i really don't get why the nfl is trying so hard to get a team in LA

its the 2nd biggest market, but two teams have already failed there and moved away

LA is too cool for football

Freak Out
12-08-2009, 05:13 PM
i really don't get why the nfl is trying so hard to get a team in LA

its the 2nd biggest market, but two teams have already failed there and moved away

LA is too cool for football

LA is a goldmine and the NFL knows it.

digitaldean
12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
florio wrote a piece the other day stating that the only thing keeping the team afloat is that very small percent of the revenue sharing that will be going away in the uncapped year

the metro dome lease is up in 2011, if minnesota wants to keep the queens they better get their heads out of their asses fast

to me, jacksonville makes the most sense for the move. heres a playoff team, with an very exciting young player, and they won't sell out a single game this year. the town just refuses to support a team

Jax is a playoff team and they only could get 42,079 for their game vs. Texans. The game was blacked out (and that's WITH a large % of the upper deck seats covered with "Jaguars" tarps.

Listened to Don Banks from SI on Fox Radio this a.m. Word is Wayne Weaver (owner) is fighting like mad to get people in, but to no avail. Long run he may have to sell a % of the team and/or move.

Somehow

As much as I can't stand the Vikings, it'd be a bummer to lose a heated rivalry. If MN moves to LA, odds are they'd realign and have the St. Louis (for how long?) Rams move to the North. LA has lost football before, how rabid are they to get it back. Besides they already have pro ball at USC!
:rs:

HowardRoark
12-08-2009, 10:17 PM

But what about he kids? And the teachers?

They will sanctimoniously use this rhetoric right up until they day the Vikings head out to L.A. Just like the Lakers. They have no cards; and they don't get it.

Then they will gather all the good Scandinavians together and plot how to build a stadium and lure a new team back.

http://www.gopherbasketballtickets.com/img/venues/Xcel%20Energy%20Center%20St%20Paul.jpg

mraynrand
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM

They will sanctimoniously use this rhetoric right up until they day the Vikings head out to L.A. Just like the Lakers. They have no cards; and they don't get it.

Then they will gather all the good Scandinavians together and plot how to build a stadium and lure a new team back.

Can the scandinavians then design a stylish, overly contrived team logo?

http://www.minnesotawildtickets.net/minnes3.jpg

HowardRoark
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM

I believe they can.

http://oneasianworld.com/blog/tiger%20woods%20and%20elin.jpg

3irty1
12-09-2009, 07:48 AM
The Jaguars are the only other team I could see moving. MJD was actually pleading with fans to come watch the games. However Jacksonville has always been a poor team and they spend like a poor team. Right now financially they are what the Falcons were before Matt Ryan, losing money. This could all change because 3 years ago Jacksonville was doing fine just like Atlanta is doing fine.

Despite this all Forbes still has the Vikings ranked as the least valuable NFL franchise at $839 million. This team NEEDS a stadium and has for way too long.

I could see both teams moving somewhere.

pbmax
12-09-2009, 07:58 AM

I believe they can.

http://oneasianworld.com/blog/tiger%20woods%20and%20elin.jpg
They could use Elin's business sense for this deal. She is the only person to make more money out of Tiger's situation than the tabloids.

mngolf19
12-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Hey, I'm Scandinavian.

MichiganPackerFan
12-11-2009, 11:27 AM
I would hate for the Vikings to move, even more so if they were out of the division. What team would I passionately hate?

LA is a basketball town, franchises keep leaving. They don't deserve a team.

mraynrand
12-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Hey, I'm Scandinavian.

Let's see those designs then!

This one is really creative:

http://www.eteamz.com/NRCLL/images/MinnesotaTwinsLargecopy.jpg

Scott Campbell
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
How bout one that pays homage to their championship history?

http://www.dinntrophy.com/Images/Product/md/rro2Hmedium.jpg

red
12-11-2009, 12:43 PM
lol

sharpe1027
12-11-2009, 12:56 PM

http://www.eteamz.com/NRCLL/images/MinnesotaTwinsLargecopy.jpg

I wonder if the same people designed the Bear's logo and then just added a T.

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/7/169/thumbs/364.gif

MichiganPackerFan
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Or the Cincinnati Reds'

sharpe1027
12-11-2009, 02:12 PM

Or the Cincinnati Reds'

Shit, that's even the same sport.

HowardRoark
12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Associated Press

Updated: 12/15/2009 07:19:46 PM CST

Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf met privately Tuesday to discuss the team's hopes for a new stadium.

Vikings' vice president Lester Bagley told The Associated Press that the meeting was a "very positive" discussion. He said the Vikings made the case that there are reasons to act in 2010.

But Pawlenty spokesman Brian McClung told WCCO-TV they did not get into specifics about stadium proposals or whether to take them up next year, when the state faces a severe budget crisis.

A new study for the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission said the state's pro sports teams have generated more than $450 million in tax revenues since 1961. On Thursday the commission will unveil a design for a $954 million stadium that would replace the Metrodome.

mngolf19
12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Associated Press

Updated: 12/15/2009 07:19:46 PM CST

Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf met privately Tuesday to discuss the team's hopes for a new stadium.

Vikings' vice president Lester Bagley told The Associated Press that the meeting was a "very positive" discussion. He said the Vikings made the case that there are reasons to act in 2010.

But Pawlenty spokesman Brian McClung told WCCO-TV they did not get into specifics about stadium proposals or whether to take them up next year, when the state faces a severe budget crisis.

A new study for the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission said the state's pro sports teams have generated more than $450 million in tax revenues since 1961. On Thursday the commission will unveil a design for a $954 million stadium that would replace the Metrodome.

I think it is something Pawlenty will ok on his way out of office.

Patler
12-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Shouldn't who ever designed and approved the balloon dome have to pay for at least part of a real stadium to replace it?

TennesseePackerBacker
12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I think they should just pop the dome before they demolish it. Maybe they could leave a men's room urinal trough intact in which to place their Hall of Fame.

Fritz
12-16-2009, 03:11 PM
How bout one that pays homage to their championship history?

http://www.dinntrophy.com/Images/Product/md/rro2Hmedium.jpg

I'm still laughing. Brilliant.

HowardRoark
12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Shouldn't who ever designed and approved the balloon dome have to pay for at least part of a real stadium to replace it?

http://purplejesus.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/sh002.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
12-16-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey now, Sid Hartman is a close, personal friend of mine.

pbmax
12-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Please, let's not involve Mr. Greenjeans in this mess. :)

SMACKTALKIE
12-16-2009, 10:57 PM

Ahhh Mr. Roark.... You're quite a quiet domino, marry me now.

Who pissed off the old guy.... Oh that's right, you get that look after investing with Bernie Madoff.

T Paw and Big Perm Wilf had a talk. It's all cool.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/79462267.html?page=2&c=y

Incidentally, while a lot of plans have been discussed about how to raise money to build a Vikings stadium, one recent one would be a state sales tax of 1/10th of 1 percent, or 10 cents on every $100.

This tax would raise the money to build the stadium and could include some other needed items. And it would result in a lot less cost to the taxpayer than the recently passed Constitutional amendment for the arts and environment of three-eighths of 1 percent that will raise about $276 million per year for the arts, clean water and wildlife conservation.

HowardRoark
12-17-2009, 10:34 PM

Ahhh Mr. Roark.... You're quite a quiet domino, marry me now.

Who pissed off the old guy.... Oh that's right, you get that look after investing with Bernie Madoff.

T Paw and Big Perm Wilf had a talk. It's all cool.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/79462267.html?page=2&c=y

Incidentally, while a lot of plans have been discussed about how to raise money to build a Vikings stadium, one recent one would be a state sales tax of 1/10th of 1 percent, or 10 cents on every $100.

This tax would raise the money to build the stadium and could include some other needed items. And it would result in a lot less cost to the taxpayer than the recently passed Constitutional amendment for the arts and environment of three-eighths of 1 percent that will raise about $276 million per year for the arts, clean water and wildlife conservation.

This is not a joke, so please stop smiling.

Freak Out
12-17-2009, 11:32 PM
:lol: Howard can never let a chance to throw some Wilco out there go to waste.

gbgary
12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
don't see why a team would want to go to LA, be ignored by the fans, and have to move again.

HowardRoark
12-18-2009, 05:11 PM

It's hot in the poor places tonight, I'm not going outside.

I'm not going outside.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/12/new_stadium_pla.php

I'm not going outside.

red
12-18-2009, 05:50 PM

It's hot in the poor places tonight, I'm not going outside.

I'm not going outside.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2009/12/new_stadium_pla.php

I'm not going outside.

i was chewing gum, for something to do....

until i saw your link

3irty1
11-07-2010, 09:31 AM
"Republican tidal wave could carry Vikings to L.A." By Mike Florio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/03/republican-tidal-wave-could-carry-vikings-to-la/