PDA

View Full Version : No repeat performance?

KYPack
12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
This from the Chicago Trib..

(It does seem like a million years ago when we tried to run Barbre at RT, doesn't it?)

Quote on

It seems like a distant memory now, but Adewale Ogunleye abused Allen Barbre in the season opener, beating the Packers right tackle for two sacks and five quarterback hits in the Bears' 21-15 loss.

The game marked the beginning of the end for Barbre, who now sits on the bench behind Mark Tauscher.

Some wondered if Ogunleye's production in that game was a fluke, considering the quality of lineman he faced.

"I don't get that," the Bears left defensive end said. "The crazy part is (Vikings defensive end) Jared Allen is looked at as a potential defensive player of the year, and he has eight sacks against Green Bay.

"If you're going to be fair, let's be fair. These guys get paid to be professional athletes. The fact that I made (Barbre) look bad is not my fault. It's the fact that I was better than him. He was a starter, and I outplayed him."

Quote off

Thank God that Tausch could make it back to play. What will we do next year?

sharpe1027
12-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Lang, for one thing.

mraynrand
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Thank God that Tausch could make it back to play. What will we do next year?

Won't Orlando Pace be available?

KYPack
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Lang, for one thing.

Yeah, that kid is a real bright spot for us.

He's the back-up at 3 positions.

We need a couple more "Lang's".

pbmax
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Lang, for one thing.

Do you think Barbre can build on his short tenure and get better at pass blocking? Or is he lost?

Physically, there is no reason he can't succeed. He can run block like a maniac and has good feet and athletic ability. His hands and positioning were terrible.

pbmax
12-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Somewhere in the depths of the internet this week (Pro Football Weekly maybe?) I read that there are two kinds of assistant coaches in the league. There are X and O guys (often very young) who can scheme and break down film with the best of them. But all save the best of this segment cannot coach technique for a position at an NFL level. The other side of the coin are the guys who can coach proper technique to squirrel but are not married to a particular scheme.

I am sure its not that cut and dried in reality, but I would be stunned if this isn't true to some degree.

Patler
12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Lang, for one thing.

Do you think Barbre can build on his short tenure and get better at pass blocking? Or is he lost?

Physically, there is no reason he can't succeed. He can run block like a maniac and has good feet and athletic ability. His hands and positioning were terrible.

Barbre was no worse than Mike Wahle was when he started the season at left tackle early in his career. After Clifton took over for him, Wahle was banished to the bench for the rest of the season. He re-emerged to have a decent career.

All hope is not lost yet for Barbre.

BF4MVP
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
What will we do next year?
I'd re-sign Tausch...He's only 32 and he's playing well. 8-)

pbmax
12-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Lang, for one thing.

Barbre was no worse than Mike Wahle was when he started the season at left tackle early in his career. After Clifton took over for him, Wahle was banished to the bench for the rest of the season. He re-emerged to have a decent career.

All hope is not lost yet for Barbre.
I agree and think he can still improve at tackle. But in his case, he has already had a shot at guard, and tackle seemed the better fit to the coaches after that two year stint inside. The trouble he had at tackle certainly sounds like a guard though.

KYPack
12-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm with Patler. Barbre is a guard. He failed miserably at RT, but he's got an NFL OL body. He's a dumb bastard, but guard doesn't require a NASA mentality. He will listen and he's got the skill set for the inside.

His problems at T started with his footwork. Babre had a very obvious kick step. In his first start, Ogunleye timed Babre's kick step and punched him flat on his ass. Babre then went into a shell and was playing tackle like a turtle for the rest of the Bear game.

I don't think Campen knows a lot of the tricks guards and tackles have to know. A new line coach or a crafty asst there really wouldn't hurt.

pbmax
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm with Patler. Barbre is a guard. He failed miserably at RT, but he's got an NFL OL body. He's a dumb bastard, but guard doesn't require a NASA mentality. He will listen and he's got the skill set for the inside.

His problems at T started with his footwork. Babre had a very obvious kick step. In his first start, Ogunleye timed Babre's kick step and punched him flat on his ass. Babre then went into a shell and was playing tackle like a turtle for the rest of the Bear game.

I don't think Campen knows a lot of the tricks guards and tackles have to know. A new line coach or a crafty asst there really wouldn't hurt.
Asst. Line Coach Fontenot was a center as well, wasn't he?

If Barbre has to come back to compete as a guard, someone will be leaving the team. Either Barbre because he fails again, or the guy who recommended he be moved to tackle if he succeeds at guard.

KYPack
12-11-2009, 12:08 PM

If Barbre has to come back to compete as a guard, someone will be leaving the team. Either Barbre because he fails again, or the guy who recommended he be moved to tackle if he succeeds at guard.

I always had trouble with the initial decision to move him from G ro RT. Guard is kind of the "training wheels" positon on an NFL line. Jonathon Ogden played guard his rookie season, for instance. But if you can't master guard, what made anybody think he could play tackle? Maybe it was the "Tony Moll theory", eh?

pbmax
12-11-2009, 01:39 PM

I always had trouble with the initial decision to move him from G ro RT. Guard is kind of the "training wheels" positon on an NFL line. Jonathon Ogden played guard his rookie season, for instance. But if you can't master guard, what made anybody think he could play tackle? Maybe it was the "Tony Moll theory", eh?
The theory I read was that there were too many reads/decisions for him to make at Guard!

What I remember about him at Guard was a total lack of awareness on stunts. He would just block his guy with his head down and be oblivious to his LT scrambling to keep the QB alive by deflecting the blow.