PDA

View Full Version : Records Mean Nil in Bears-Packers Rivalry

SnakeLH2006
12-12-2009, 02:16 AM
http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2009/12/12/55947615/index.xml

LAKE FOREST – Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox was signing autographs at a Toys for Tots benefit in McHenry this week when he made a quick comment about playing the Green Bay Packers.

“I’m excited,” Knox said, “[but] it’s no different than any other game we play.”

Rookie.

Ask around, and Bears veterans will tell you that playing the Packers actually is different than any other game on the regular-season schedule. The outcome might not be worth any more in the standings, but the perks of beating the Packers can reverberate throughout the year.

“At first, I didn’t really get it,” said Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, who is in his sixth season in Chicago. “But [my] neighbors to my left, to my right, in front of me, they’re all Packer haters.

“It just makes my life a lot easier when we win against the Packers,” Ogunleye said. “I can walk around the city, enjoy my dinners, and if I want to go to the movies, nobody will bother me. So definitely, it’s become something that going into the season, I know we’ve got to beat the Packers two times a year.”

That possibility evaporated in Week 1 when the Packers beat the Bears, 21-15, at Lambeau Field in a game that set the tone for both teams. Since then, the Bears (5-7) have slipped further from playoff contention while the Packers (8-4) have emerged as a darkhorse contender to win the NFC.

Think the Packers are the only team with something to play for Sunday? Then think about this: If the Bears win, they not only will ruin the Packers’ day, but they will stave off an embarrassing series sweep.

That hasn’t happened since 2003, when the Packers capped off a seven-game winning streak against the Bears with easy wins at Soldier Field and Lambeau Field. Yet it still was jarring when Lovie Smith told reporters at his introductory news conference in 2004 that his very first goal was to beat the Packers.

His other goals? Oh, you know, win the NFC North and win the Super Bowl.

At that point, Bears defensive tackle Anthony Adams knew the rivalry was like few others in the NFL.

“I understood it when I wasn’t even on the team, when they interviewed coach Smith,” Adams said. “That was one of his goals, that was the first thing he said. … [I thought], ‘Wow, this is serious.’ ”

Smith’s teams have gone 7-4 against Green Bay since then, including a 20-17 overtime win last season at Soldier Field. Players from both teams already have taken shots at each other this week, including a war of words between Packers defensive tackle B.J. Raji and Bears center Olin Kreutz, who described young players such as Raji as “clowns” after the rookie vowed that he was stronger than the veteran lineman.

Ogunleye added his two cents when he said his upcoming blocker, Packers right tackle Mark Tauscher, looked out of shape. Don’t expect the pair to exchange any hugs before the game Sunday.

“When I first got here to Chicago, people told me they didn’t care if we went 2-14 as long as the two wins were against the Packers,” Ogunleye said. “So this will be a big win for us. The city will appreciate it. It’ll be an early Christmas gift.”

Ok then, says the Snake.

Snake is a dynamo with pick-ems and suicide teams lately. We whoop the Bears in a low scoring (42 points or less) game.

Packers take this one in a low scoring affair. Never trust a QB who cries more than a girl...Jay Cutler.

sheepshead
12-12-2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah, these are two teams with opposite trajectories this year. I think we get a nice, decisive win here.

Pugger
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
As long as WE don't screw up giving those clowns easy scores with turnovers and long returns the midgets from the midway don't stand a chance.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Don't be so quick to pat yourself on the back Snake. It's not too challenging to be good at straight up pick 'em. Turn in a good record against the spread and I'll be impressed.

Guiness
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I still remember Lovie on Letterman his rookie coaching season - he said it didn't matter what else happened, as long as they beat the Pack twice that year. They did, despite the fact we went 13-3. And Bears fans were happy with that result.

green_bowl_packer
12-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Meathead Millen said something interesting Thursday night (another first) - "Never underestimate the power of a rivalry."

In the Chicago Suntimes this morning they stated that every year since Lovie's been the coach the Bears goals have been the same every year - sweep the Packers, win the NFC North, win the Superbowl. This would be the first year Lovie's been swept since he's been coaching the Bears. Sorry Lovie, first time for everything.

Not sure if the Raji/Kruetz thing will be enough to fire up the Bears, could get Raji cut blocked all day long though. I think the defense will back him up and schmear Cutler all over the field.

It's the special teams we have to worry about on a wet field. Didn't know Knox was leading the league in kick-off returns, and we were 30th in coverage.