PDA

View Full Version : Saints Or Packers: Who Would Win?

SnakeLH2006
12-12-2009, 02:28 AM
Saints Or Packers: Who Would Win?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/307219-saints-or-packers-who-would
Contributor Written on December 12, 2009
LANDOVER, MD - DECEMBER 06: Quarterback Drew Brees #9 of the New Orleans Saints gives instructions against the Washington Redskins on December 6, 2009 at FedExField in Landover, Maryland. (Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images) Chris McGrath/Getty Images

Lately I have been under the impression that the Green Bay Packers are going to be the Super Bowl winners. I just watch them play and the seem so dominant, despite their upset loss to Tampa. I got some team stats together to see who would have the edge.

This is what I came up with.

Packers:
Total Defense: 1st 273.5
Passing Defense: 3rd 180.2
Rushing Defense: 4th 87.2
Total Offense: 6th 379.3
Passing Offense: 8th 262.2
Rushing Offense: 13th 117.1
Points Scored: 7th 323
Points Allowed: 8th 233
Opponent Toughness: 85-96

Saints:
Total Defense: 18th 343.9
Passing Defense: 22nd 230.0
Rushing Defense: 20th 113.9
Total Offense: 1st 429.0
Passing Offense: 3rd 286.4
Rushing Offense: 5th 142.6
Points Scored: 1st 440
Points Allowed: 16th 251
Opponent Toughness: 76-116

Of all of these stats I am most impressed with the Packers' passing defense. They exist in a division filled with air games. Brett Favre taking over Minnesota, Peterson is a lot less of a factor now. Matthew Stafford to Johnson in Detroit, they are a more successful offense than they seem; and Jay Cutler in Chicago, they like to throw the ball, but haven't been getting the job done very well. 6 games out of Green Bay's season goes from this.

Next, New Orleans has the 20th ranked rush defense. Ouch. But is that a complement or embarrassing. As I said for the Packers in being in a division of passing teams; the Saints too are in a division where the teams strive well. Twice a year they have to go up against Michael Turner who is the center of the Falcons' offense, then play the Carolina rushing duo twice a year. I'm not sure if I should look down on their ranking, or if I should consider them lucky to be as high as they are.

There is only a 9 game difference in their schedule difficulty, favoring Green Bay; but you have to remember that the Saints are the undefeated team. I think it could be deceiving since the Pack came along as a well-rounded team late this season. Their rookies are finally producing, and the offensive line has decided to protect Rodgers for a change.

All in all what I get out of it is...

The Packers #1 defense against the Saints #1 offense. Seems like a fair matchup right?

Well, how about the Saints 18th defense against the Packers #6 Offense?

That isn't to say that it would be a blowout, but in number talk Packers Win (38-35)

There is no doubt it would be a high scoring game, but my statements about Green Bay being underrated seem very accurate after doing some research.

--------------------

Personally, Snake likes this article. We'd match up well with the Saints as they don't play good D, and the Saints haven't met Dom Capers' blitzing zone LB scheme yet.

I'd rather face them in the playoffs then Minn. again.

Gunakor
12-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Played in New Orleans the Saints win. Played in Green Bay the Packers win, especially if the field and weather conditions are less than perfect. But on a fast field in a controlled climate I couldn't see the Packers over the Saints.

sheepshead
12-12-2009, 06:05 AM
MM would get out-coached BIG Time. Saints by 3 scores.

Bretsky
12-12-2009, 07:22 AM
In GB the Pack would have a shot

In a gooed climate or a dome I just think the Saints would expose our secondary. Too many weapons.

Losing Harris really hurts against a deeper weapon team. I can't see us being able to cover teams like the Saints and Colts when you'd have to rely on guys like Atari Bigby, Bush, and the others.

Bossman641
12-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Gotta agree with the others. Packers win outdoors, but Saints win in the dome. That offense is built for turf. The big problem we would have is Bush and Underwood matching up with their 3 and 4 WR. Plus their defense plays much better at home when they have the crowd behind them going wild.

Badgerinmaine
12-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree with the article that the Packers are underrated, but I still think the Saints would beat them, especially at the Superdome. What impresses me the most about them is their amazing comeback ability, as they showed against Washington and especially against the Dolphins--both on the road.

Bretsky
12-12-2009, 07:41 AM
If TTT would have drafted my favorite Meachem over Sally Justine Harrell it'd be closer :!:

BallHawk
12-12-2009, 07:50 AM
If TTT would have drafted my favorite Meachem over Sally Justine Harrell it'd be closer :!:

With the impatience on this forum, he'd of been run out of town before he could blossom into anything worthwhile.

Bretsky
12-12-2009, 07:54 AM

With the impatience on this forum, he'd of been run out of town before he could blossom into anything worthwhile.

I'd have had his back ..........lol......and while the forum would have been all over me for a couple years

Right now they just might be claiming the curse of Bretsky is a fallacy

Robert Meachem- 09 touchdown machine

pbmax
12-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Packers D would need to get an immediate rush up the middle. I am not sure Pickett could do it, but Raji could. I think the D could give the O a chance even in the dome. The offense would need to deliver on each opportunity.

steve823
12-12-2009, 01:13 PM
This brings me to the point I was discussing with a few friends the other day. Domes are bullshit. They bring an unfair advantage ..plus football is a game meant for the outdoors.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-12-2009, 02:12 PM
This brings me to the point I was discussing with a few friends the other day. Domes are bullshit. They bring an unfair advantage ..plus football is a game meant for the outdoors.

Agreed, football should be played outside no matter what the elements. Domes are a travesty to football. This is what sets football apart from any other sport. I offer this example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

One of my favorite bits of all time.

Lurker64
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Packers win 4-2.

Edit: In Overtime.

Brandon494
12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
MM would get out-coached BIG Time. Saints by 3 scores.

winner

mission
12-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Yeah we just aren't solid enough from an execution standpoint. You know where I stand with that as far as who's responsible (already been noted here).

Their defense doesn't really intimidate me though (we should be able to put up points) but DC would have to come up with one helluva scheme to be able to match up with them personnel wise.

Hopefully we get a chance to find out come playoffs!

MichiganPackerFan
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
In GB the Pack would have a shot

In a gooed climate or a dome I just think the Saints would expose our secondary. Too many weapons.

Losing Harris really hurts against a deeper weapon team. I can't see us being able to cover teams like the Saints and Colts when you'd have to rely on guys like Atari Bigby, Bush, and the others.

I agree that having Al Harris is significantly the key to this match up or any others with a huge passing game. He's like an offensive lineman in that you never hear his name unless he messes up. Otherwise you simply can't throw in his direction because as 3irty1's signature says "70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris." (probably my favorite signature too, 3irty1!!)

wist43
12-12-2009, 06:17 PM
What was the score last year???

51,000,000,000 to what, 17??? something like that :lol:

You guys are high on riding the wave... and GB's defense is vastly improved over the preceeding years vanilla crap, but NO is on a different level.

Assuming TT has his head out of his ass now... hopefully we can expect a true contender in 2011, or 2012 - never would have thunk it possible, but maybe TT is feeling enough heat now, that he will adapt his approach enough to actually field a contender in the next couple of years.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-12-2009, 06:34 PM

You guys are high on riding the wave... and GB's defense is vastly improved over the preceeding years vanilla crap, but NO is on a different level.

Assuming TT has his head out of his ass now... hopefully we can expect a true contender in 2011, or 2012 - never would have thunk it possible, but maybe TT is feeling enough heat now, that he will adapt his approach enough to actually field a contender in the next couple of years.

Negative Nancy

MJZiggy
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM

Negative Nancy

Have you two met? This is wist. It's like his job.

wist43
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Negative Nancy

Have you two met? This is wist. It's like his job.

Come on, MJ... cut a realist some slack :)

You know as well as I do that 4 weeks ago... these guys were ready to jump out windows... now we're SB bound???

The truth is somewhere in between.

MJZiggy
12-12-2009, 07:06 PM
If it's like your job to be negative, it's like my job to give you hell about it. :taunt:
:mrgreen:

get louder at lambeau
12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
The Saints just got taken to overtime by the now 3-9 Redskins. On any given Sunday...blah, blah, blah.

Packers 52
Saints 6

wist43
12-12-2009, 10:24 PM
If it's like your job to be negative, it's like my job to give you hell about it. :taunt:
:mrgreen:

Fair enough :D :glug:

channtheman
12-13-2009, 03:21 AM
The Saints just got taken to overtime by the now 3-9 Redskins. On any given Sunday...blah, blah, blah.

Packers 52
Saints 6

This.

woodbuck27
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM

I'd have had his back ..........lol......and while the forum would have been all over me for a couple years

Right now they just might be claiming the curse of Bretsky is a fallacy

Robert Meachem- 09 touchdown machine

Hey B. come on. Your usually right. :D

Meachem or Harrell today? That's an easy one. Looking at it fr. an impact standpoint? Will Justin Harrell ever show up to get in the game?

MOBB DEEP
12-13-2009, 07:54 PM
NO ONE'S going to beat the saints

write it down!

The Leaper
12-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Personally, I think the weak schedule the Saints will face in the last month is not a good way for them to go into the playoffs. Then a week off on top of it. The Saints aren't likely to come out hitting on all cylinders right away.

In the dome, gotta favor the Saints. Our OL would have a hell of a time in that loud environment.