PDA

View Full Version : Who Should I Cheer For Tonight?

Farley Face
12-13-2009, 06:36 PM
As far as our playoff positioning, who should I be cheering for to win the Giants/Philly game?

Thanks,

FF

digitaldean
12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
IGGLES!

This would knock the G-Men down an extra game back of us. Plus would help in the conf. game tiebreakers as well.

Lurker64
12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Personally, I think we should be cheering for Philadelphia to win the NFC East, since we have the tiebreaker against the Cowboys already and the second tiebreaker after head to head is conference record.

In terms of conference records:
The Packers are 7-3 (games against Seahawks and Cardinals remaining)
The Eagles are 7-2 (games against Giants, 49ers, and Cowboys remaining)
The Giants are 5-3 (games against the Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, and Vikings remaining)

The Eagles are likely to maintain the conference record tiebreaker over the Packers (I could see them winning all three of those), and the Giants would be 2 games behind the Packers with 2 to go if they lose tonight and they would be up one in the loss column in the first tiebreaker with the Packers. So cheer for the Eagles.

The Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are the only other NFC teams with a realistic shot at a wildcard, and the Giants are behind the other two in the standings. Ideally they will lose early and often so we make it a three team race for three spots (NFC East championship + 2 WC spots).

Farley Face
12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Personally, I think we should be cheering for Philadelphia to win the NFC East, since we have the tiebreaker against the Cowboys already and the second tiebreaker after head to head is conference record.

In terms of conference records:
The Packers are 7-3 (games against Seahawks and Cardinals remaining)
The Eagles are 7-2 (games against Giants, 49ers, and Cowboys remaining)
The Giants are 5-3 (games against the Eagles, Redskins, Panthers, and Vikings remaining)

The Eagles are likely to maintain the conference record tiebreaker over the Packers (I could see them winning all three of those), and the Giants would be 2 games behind the Packers with 2 to go if they lose tonight and they would be up one in the loss column in the first tiebreaker with the Packers. So cheer for the Eagles.

The Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys are the only other NFC teams with a realistic shot at a wildcard, and the Giants are behind the other two in the standings. Ideally they will lose early and often so we make it a three team race for three spots (NFC East championship + 2 WC spots).

Go Eagles!! Thanks guys.

Brando19
12-13-2009, 07:05 PM
With Atlanta pretty much out...we want to root against the Giants for the rest of the year...with the Giants out of the picture...the Packers are in the Playoffs for sure!

Packman_26
12-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I happen to think that the Packers match up much better against the Giants than they do the Eagles. I would much rather that the Giants win the Division since the Packers could be playing the East division winner in the opening round of the playoffs.
I understand that the Eagles winning gives the Packers a better chance at the playoffs (which seems to be pretty darn good anyway), but doesn't the Giants winning make it easier for the Packers to advance in the playoffs?

Brando19
12-13-2009, 07:27 PM
I happen to think that the Packers match up much better against the Giants than they do the Eagles. I would much rather that the Giants win the Division since the Packers could be playing the East division winner in the opening round of the playoffs.
I understand that the Eagles winning gives the Packers a better chance at the playoffs (which seems to be pretty darn good anyway), but doesn't the Giants winning make it easier for the Packers to advance in the playoffs?

I agree 100% with what you're saying. The Packers matchup way better against the Giants than the Eagles. But...if the Giants make it in as a wildcard...we won't be playing them the first game anyway. Now, if the Eagles win the division, we may be playing them the first game (or Arizona). I would rather the Giants lose tonight to make the Playoffs a for sure thing than take a chance on the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys all making it and the Packers losing a couple more games and missing out. The Playoffs are all I'm worried about, who we're playing I'll worry about in January.

Packman_26
12-13-2009, 07:36 PM

I agree 100% with what you're saying. The Packers matchup way better against the Giants than the Eagles. But...if the Giants make it in as a wildcard...we won't be playing them the first game anyway. Now, if the Eagles win the division, we may be playing them the first game (or Arizona). I would rather the Giants lose tonight to make the Playoffs a for sure thing than take a chance on the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys all making it and the Packers losing a couple more games and missing out. The Playoffs are all I'm worried about, who we're playing I'll worry about in January.
But if the Giants win the division, that's whom the Packers could be playing in the playoffs, not the wildcard Eagles.
I completely understand that the idea of just getting in, but if they get in anyway, I would rather play the Giants.

Brando19
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM

But if the Giants win the division, that's whom the Packers could be playing in the playoffs, not the wildcard Eagles.
I completely understand that the idea of just getting in, but if they get in anyway, I would rather play the Giants.

I never thought of the Giants winning the division scenario. Ok...I still want the Eagles to win so our odds of getting in are great...BUT...the Cowboys schedule is pretty tough (they may only win one more). That way, the Giants have a shot at winning the division and the Eagles would be a wildcard. So I would love that to happen.

The Leaper
12-13-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree that getting into the playoffs is most important. Having one of the few remaining wildcard contenders dealt a serious blow tonight would virtually put GB in the postseason barring a complete collapse. Once in the playoffs, anything can happen...especially with a defense that is playing better each week.

However, I don't see the NFC East getting 3 teams in anyway...the Cowboys have a death schedule considering their December woes.

MOBB DEEP
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
cheer for who u like since pack controls own destiny :roll:

all that cheering for others to lose is only needed if Pack isnt currently in the post-season imho. its like being happy a star player for another team is out b/c injury, etc b/c u want your team to win...gota be a MANLY MAN and not prefer to skate into playoffs

dayum

gbgary
12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
the giants...per californiacheese...

A Giants win over the Eagles both are 8-5
A Charger win over the Cowboys the Cowboys are 8-5

Giants have the tiebreaker over the Cowboys due to sweep.
Cowboys have head to head win over Eagles.
Eagles have a better Conference Record than the Giants.

Head to head wins are better tiebrekers than Conference record.
Knocks the Eagles out of playoff position, gives the Giants the division lead, and should keep the Cowboys behind the Packers for the rest of the season.

MJZiggy
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Having to choose between cheering for Manning who refused to play for the team that drafted him and Vick...blech.

CaliforniaCheez
12-13-2009, 09:34 PM
For the long term good, it is better if the Giants win.

Both the Giants and the Packers have the tiebreakers over Dallas.

The Eagles have a very good Conference Record. It would be best if they lost and become the outsider.

The Packers match up better against the Giants than the Eagles.

You want the Eagles to lose!!

Either way the Packers are the #1 Wild Card.

Airin' Rodgers
12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
For the long term good, it is better if the Giants win.

Both the Giants and the Packers have the tiebreakers over Dallas.

The Eagles have a very good Conference Record. It would be best if they lost and become the outsider.

The Packers match up better against the Giants than the Eagles.

You want the Eagles to lose!!

Either way the Packers are the #1 Wild Card.

I respect your work cheez, and I trust it. But I don't understand it.

If the Eagles win, it would put them in the lead for the division. Also, the Giants effectively would be 2 games back. The Cowboys virtually would be 2 games back because the Packers own the tiebreaker.

CaliforniaCheez
12-13-2009, 09:47 PM
In a tie of the three the Eagles lose out and are in 3rd place.
The team with a better Conference Record than the Packers iis in 3rd place.

The Cowboys are tanking with a game at New Orleans next week.
It is most likely that the Cowboys miss the playoffs if the Giants win.

Also where do you want to place the first playoff game. Arizona, New Jersey, or Filthydelphia.

Look beyond the current situation and what it will be in 2-3 weeks.

Airin' Rodgers
12-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Also where do you want to place the first playoff game. Arizona, New Jersey, or Filthydelphia.

I would prefer the game to be in Arizona to be honest. I just thought since the Giants pretty much have 2 gimme games the next two weeks it would be best to get them their 6th loss

gbgary
12-13-2009, 10:04 PM

I would prefer the game to be in Arizona to be honest. I just thought since the Giants pretty much have 2 gimme games the next two weeks it would be best to get them their 6th loss

clever name you got there sir. lol

welcome!

red
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
looks like the giants are gonna lose

i think our magic number is 1 after today

we'll have a 2 game lead over the 7th place team in the nfc, with 3 to play

BobDobbs
12-14-2009, 02:27 AM
I wanted the Eagles to lose so that maybe they'd go wildcard. I'd rather play Dallas or the Giants first game because the Eagles are playing better right now. But, that's exactly why they're going to win the division.

I know that mathematically alot can happen, but I think the NFC just settled itself this week.

#1 New Orleans
#2 Minnesota
#3 Arizona(cake schedule)
#4 Philadelphia
#5 Green Bay
#6 NY Giants(Dallas is done, end of the Wade era)

That gives us Philly. We play against McNabb and Vick. Better bring an exorcist to banish the ghosts of playoffs past. And Desean Jackson worries me. Do you put T-will on him because of speed or Chuck because of skill. And should we even punt the ball inbounds? It's the playoffs though, so bring 'em all on.