PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign Hodge

Spaulding
07-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Just saw on KFFL that the Packers signed Hodge so we're now set for the rookies - most excellent. Party on Rats.

BallHawk
07-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Good Job TT!

Fosco33
07-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Just saw on KFFL that the Packers signed Hodge so we're now set for the rookies - most excellent. Party on Rats.

NICE! 12 picks signed, half this week; 2 'last minute' - nice job, TT and staff!

Any more info available?

Spaulding
07-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Contract terms not yet disclosed. Having everybody in camp is huge. Brandt rocks when it comes to getting things done.

Fosco33
07-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Stupid question...

What does kffl mean regarding 'not passing camp physical':

Players included: Byron Santiago, Poppinga (knee), Manuel, Green (knee), Tim Goodwell, Gardner, Ferguson, Blackmon (foot).

I'd assume they either missed the physical or couln't pass it. If it's the latter, why couldn't Manuel, Gardner or Ferguson pass the physical - I hadn't heard of any injuries?

BooHoo
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Hodge? Is he a keeper?

wist43
07-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Hodge? Is he a keeper?

Just read this...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/412896

ND72
07-28-2006, 10:46 PM
...in college. I've said it before...i LOVE the guy...lets just wait to see him play in the NFL before we start declaring greatness.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 03:56 AM
I loved the Hodge pick and I think this guy has a chip on his shoulder, which is a good thing.

If I were Nick Barnett, I would not be too comfortable at Mike. Abdul will be challenging by week 10. If it takes that long....

Rastak
07-29-2006, 06:09 AM
...in college. I've said it before...i LOVE the guy...lets just wait to see him play in the NFL before we start declaring greatness.

And that's true about ALL rookies coming in really. How many can't miss guys have we seen fail in the NFL?

Spaulding
07-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Sorry Fosco for being cryptic. KFFL is a website (www.kffl.com) which posts latest news.

MJZiggy
07-29-2006, 09:46 AM
mrbo, I think fosco was asking about the "not passing camp physical" thing. I don't know. I know one player did not pass his conditioning test for sprinting, but don't know who that player is or why these guys (except Popp, Green & Blackmon) didn't. I haven't checked kffl since AJ signed--were there similar reports from other teams?

BallHawk
07-29-2006, 10:09 AM
We were like the only team to have that many people missing.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Back on Abdul Hodge:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=477570

** Joining Hawk in reaching contract terms Friday was third-round linebacker Abdul Hodge, who signed a four-year contract. Hawk and Hodge were the remaining members of the 12-man draft class who were unsigned going into Friday.

Also:

DRAFT PICK ABDUL HODGE IN PACKER FOLD

Hodge, a 6-0, 236-pound linebacker out of Iowa, was Green Bay's first of two choices in the third round of April's draft, the 67th overall choice and ninth linebacker.

He earned first-team All-Big Ten honors for three straight seasons (2003-05) in arguably the nation's most physical conference, and led the league in total tackles per game both in 2003 and '05.

A leader on the Hawkeyes' defense, he played in all 50 games at Iowa, starting the last 37 in consecutive fashion.

His brother, Elijah, is a sophomore linebacker at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.

Fosco33
07-29-2006, 10:50 AM
mrbo, I think fosco was asking about the "not passing camp physical" thing. I don't know. I know one player did not pass his conditioning test for sprinting, but don't know who that player is or why these guys (except Popp, Green & Blackmon) didn't. I haven't checked kffl since AJ signed--were there similar reports from other teams?

Yeah, that's what I meant. I visit kffl from time to time (infrequently though).

I did read on packers.com the following:

Not ready yet
Eight players did not pass their physicals and did not practice. Among those who sat out were wide receivers Robert Ferguson (back) and Rod Gardner (hamstring). McCarthy said both players were day-to-day. Their absence left Marc Boerigter working with the No. 1 offense opposite Driver.

Running back Ahman Green (torn quad tendon) said after practice it would be about two weeks before he expects to return to the field. Najeh Davenport did pass his physical and returned to practice at full speed.

Safety Marquand Manuel also sat out, and Marviel Underwood replaced him with the No. 1 defense. Roy Manning worked with the No. 1 defense at weak-side linebacker in place of A.J. Hawk, the only Packers' draft pick who remains unsigned.

Davenpoop was ready - :lol:

Our receiver and RB situation has gotta have Brett thinking - what did I just sign up for? We've had 7 months to rest these guys and they're still day-day or weeks needed to return. What's gonna happen after a month of beating on each other or some live action? :roll:

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Hodge? Is he a keeper?

Just read this...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/412896

The ariticle paints him like an up-and-coming super guy. His only draw back appears to be his lack of size. I guess we can be hopeful.

ND72
07-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Just so all you Barnett haters know...Hodge won't be pushign Barnett for anything this year...maybe Taylor at the strong side...but Bob Sanders LOVES Barnett. Next year, they need to move Barnett to Strong Side, and put Hodge in the middle...IF all our boys pan out.

wist43
07-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Boo, I've seen Hodge play maybe 7 to 10 times... everytime I saw him, he lived up to that evaluation and was clearly the best defender on the field for Iowa. Chad Greenway played in his shawdow, IMO.

As for Barnett vs Hodge??? Granted, Hodge hasn't played a down in the NFL, but with half his football brain tied behind his back he's more instinctive, and twice as tough, as Barnett will ever be.

If Hodge proves out to be the 3rd best LB, there has been talk of Barnett moving outside... perhaps his lack of instincts for the game wouldn't be as glaring on the outside.

Rastak
07-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Boo, I've seen Hodge play maybe 7 to 10 times... everytime I saw him, he lived up to that evaluation and was clearly the best defender on the field for Iowa. Chad Greenway played in his shawdow, IMO.

As for Barnett vs Hodge??? Granted, Hodge hasn't played a down in the NFL, but with half his football brain tied behind his back he's more instinctive, and twice as tough, as Barnett will ever be.

If Hodge proves out to be the 3rd best LB, there has been talk of Barnett moving outside... perhaps his lack of instincts for the game wouldn't be as glaring on the outside.

I'm real interested in seeing how Greenway does, for obvious reasons.
The Vikings currently have no rookies at the top of any position depth charts so it will be inetresting to see if any win starting spots. As for Hodge, I like him also. Greenway was better in coverage but I think Hodge could be a solid MLB in the NFL, minus a little speed. I was really hoping the Vikings would grab this guy but GB beat them to the punch and got him later than projected. Kudos to them.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the info, Wist. Sounds like Hodge will perform well.
It is hard to get a clear picture of draft picks based upon "expert" commentator reports and early camp comments by coaches. First hand experience/observation is always the best judge.

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Just so all you Barnett haters know...Hodge won't be pushign Barnett for anything this year...maybe Taylor at the strong side...but Bob Sanders LOVES Barnett.

Since Barnett was drafted, he's never had a legitimate replacement breathing down his neck at his position.

Now he's got one in Hodge. My hope is that we field the best 11 players, regardless of politics, every game. If Barnett finds himself 4th best LB midway through the season, I hope our starting lineup reflects that.

I don't hate Barnett, but he is not really a big play maker, is he?

ND72
07-30-2006, 01:05 AM
Barnett is easily one of the top athletes on our team. set a team record for tackles last season, on what i think was a very overrated defensive team, and now, with a better defense, he'll be better. he's still #1 on the depth chart at LB, like it or not. He's just out of position, he should be an OLB.

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 01:11 AM
ND72, I'm not trying to pick a fight over Barnett.

Wist has posted several times, Barnett rarely makes a tackle for a loss. The runner has usually made some 5 plus yard gain before Barnett gets to them.

As I posted previously, I hope the best players play. If Barnett remains the best Mike, let him play Mike.

ND72
07-30-2006, 01:21 AM
that's exactly what i mean by our overrated D last year. watchign some of the tapes i kept from last year, he was making tackles 5 yards downfield, cause that's where the "pile" ended up. Our DT's were horrible, just horrible, especially grady jackson in helping Barnett. And besides that, we had HORRIBLE LB's around him. Now that we have some guys that will actually step up and attempt to make a play, that might change as well. Barnett has had to play the entire LB'ing corp all by himself in his 3 years he's been in the leauge, not to mention 3 different defensive schemes. now that he's in one for 2 years, and he's able to progress in that defense, there will be a huge change. MY thing, that bugs me...I'm a huge Hawk and Hodge fan...HUGE...but both could completely suck. Too many people are already buying a bus ticket for Barnett for Hodge, when Hodge has never been on an NFL game field yet. Until Hodge does anything, he's not a starter yet...sorry. My top 3 in the future will be Hawk, Hodge, BArnett...but Hodge has to do something. Barnett has done something, he just needs to grow a bit still, which being able to stay in the system he's now been in might and should help. The guy is crazy athletic, actually has been clocked at a 4.4 for his physical when he showed up...that's crazy fast at MLB. With our added depth and talent at DT this year, and LB, i truly believe you will see a different Barnett.

Partial
07-30-2006, 01:24 AM
that's exactly what i mean by our overrated D last year. watchign some of the tapes i kept from last year, he was making tackles 5 yards downfield, cause that's where the "pile" ended up. Our DT's were horrible, just horrible, especially grady jackson in helping Barnett. And besides that, we had HORRIBLE LB's around him. Now that we have some guys that will actually step up and attempt to make a play, that might change as well. Barnett has had to play the entire LB'ing corp all by himself in his 3 years he's been in the leauge, not to mention 3 different defensive schemes. now that he's in one for 2 years, and he's able to progress in that defense, there will be a huge change. MY thing, that bugs me...I'm a huge Hawk and Hodge fan...HUGE...but both could completely suck. Too many people are already buying a bus ticket for Barnett for Hodge, when Hodge has never been on an NFL game field yet. Until Hodge does anything, he's not a starter yet...sorry. My top 3 in the future will be Hawk, Hodge, BArnett...but Hodge has to do something. Barnett has done something, he just needs to grow a bit still, which being able to stay in the system he's now been in might and should help. The guy is crazy athletic, actually has been clocked at a 4.4 for his physical when he showed up...that's crazy fast at MLB. With our added depth and talent at DT this year, and LB, i truly believe you will see a different Barnett.

if you're sold, then i'm sold!!

ND72
07-30-2006, 01:27 AM
i really like Barnett, not gonna lie. I think his athletic ability is insane...now if he can find a mean-ness or a real feel for what's going on, which could help with finally being in the same system for 2 years, i think we might have somethign special. I don't know if Barnett is the man for the middle, I've said since after his rookie year he should be an OLB cause of his speed. But for now, that's what's going on. IF Hodge does what I really think he can, then I donno why you don't put the 2 young guys along with Barnett on the field and let those 3 grow together and just destroy the NFL.

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 05:17 AM
'kay, ND, plus if you count Barnett's last college year, that's an additional defense in as many years. I count that!

My only minus on Barnett is his focus. He has so many non-football deals going on, I sometimes wonder if he has the commitment.

Non-the-less, I agree on his athleticism and his record to date.

the_idle_threat
07-30-2006, 06:37 AM
...now if he can find a mean-ness or a real feel for what's going on ... i think we might have somethign special.

If those are the qualities Barnett is lacking, then there is reason for concern. It seems to me that in both traits, either you have it or you don't. They aren't things that become significantly better over time.

PackerPro42
07-30-2006, 07:56 AM
If Hodge is impressive the Packers should think about bumping Barnett to the outside and thinking about stating Hodge. It would even be O.K. if they just started him on the outside over Ben Taylor.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I've read that:

The four-year deal rookie linebacker Abdul Hodge signed was worth $2.418 million, including an $808,000 signing bonus. The deal includes an escalator that could raise the value of the contract another $800,000

Tarlam!
07-30-2006, 11:34 AM
And to think, if Abdul is 2 inches taller, he's prolly 20 million richer.

PackerPro42
07-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Hodge was probably the steal of the draft. If his combine numbers would have been better he would have been drafted in the first round. That's why I hate the combine, because you only have one chance to prove yourself. Plus Hodge out produced Greenway by huge numbers.