PDA

View Full Version : Tougher playoff road? Packers miss the playoffs?

CaliforniaCheez
12-14-2009, 03:33 AM
A Packer win and a Cowboys loss, almost certainly gets the Packers a playoff spot.

The arithmetic says the Packers could miss the playoffs but only if both the Cowboys and the Giants pass them in the standings.

No other teams can catch the Packers.

The Packers at 9-4, 7-3 in Conference, play @PTI, SEA, @AZ, with a sure win against Seattle will likely be 12-4 to 10-6 with at least 8 Conference wins.

The Cowboys at 8-5, 6-3 in Conference, play @NO, @WAS, PHI, with a sure loss against the Saints they will likely be 10-6 to 8-8 with 8 Conference wins or less. The Packers hold the tiebreaker so the Cowboys are unlikely to finish ahead of the Packers unless the Packers lose all their remaining games.

The Giants at 7-6, 5-4 in the Conference, play @WAS, CAR, @MN, and could finish 10-6 or 9-7 and at best can tie the Packers Conference Record. Since they also hold the tiebreaker against the Cowboys they could pass the Cowboys next week. If they win out and the Packers win only one more game they could pass the Packers.

The Sunday Night game bad fortune:

Now that the Eagles lead the East the Packers will have a tougher road in the playoffs. Some of you don't seem to care if the Packers go 1 and done or who they may play. For those that know, the Giants loss was a bad deal.

I was hoping for an easier playoff road by playing at the Giants and at Minnesota.
Now they may just have to play at the Eagles and then at the Saints.

steve823
12-14-2009, 03:41 AM
Nice info, thanks. I didn't realize that the Eagles winning was that bad and I was actually rooting for them.

What about the Monday Night game? Is it better for the Packers and their playoff road if the Cardinals win or lose ? (I would think its better they win but not sure)

sepporepi
12-14-2009, 04:19 AM
I was hoping for an easier playoff road by playing at the Giants and at Minnesota.
Now they may just have to play at the Eagles and then at the Saints.

I don't get that.
For the Packers to avoid the Saints they have to get the 5th seed, win the wildcard game and have the 6th seed win their wildcard game. So in my view it is stretch to say this weekends results have hurt them. Since both wildcard teams have to win, which is unlikely enough, it might even be better to have the inferior 6th seed (homer :lol: ) play the "easier" division champ.
But since the race for 3rd seed is not decided in any means it is all speculation so far.

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2009, 06:04 AM
I want the Packers to go as deep as they can into the playoffs.

That said, they control their own destiny.

I don't want them to back into anything.

Therefore, I don't give a rip who they play in the playoffs.

In fact, if they don't get into the playoffs, they probably don't deserve to be there.

I think they're good enough to beat anybody at this stage.

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't buy the logic.

Would you rather play at Arizona, at Dallas, at NY Giants, or at Philadelphia. To me, if you play the NFC East winner, no matter who you play you'll end up playing the hottest team from that division. Horse a piece for me. I'd rather that we get the first Wild Card spot. That way, we have a shot at going to Minnesota in week 2 of the playoffs. I'd prefer that. I think we are more likely to beat Minnesota than New Orleans.

sheepshead
12-14-2009, 07:12 AM
As always, we need to take care of business. If we loose 2 of 3 going into the playoff where are we going anyway? No matter what anyone else does at this point we need to keep momentum going and win.

Packgator
12-14-2009, 07:18 AM
Would you rather play at Arizona, at Dallas, at NY Giants, or at Philadelphia.

If it's Arizona it would mean playing them in Arizona two weeks in a row.

Fosco33
12-14-2009, 11:20 AM
As always, we need to take care of business. If we loose 2 of 3 going into the playoff where are we going anyway? No matter what anyone else does at this point we need to keep momentum going and win.

100%

You have to think that the Pack will almost certainly have to win road playoff games (and it has been done in very recent history by SB teams). Only scenario is that the Pack locks at 5 and the 6 seed goes to NFCC.

Arizona - beat down MN and have tons of offensive weapons; made it to the show; potentially play them back-back weeks

Dallas - monkey on our back from the mid 90s and playoff losses; already beat them once

Philly - 4th and 26; historically strong in playoffs

New Orleans - potentially undefeated team playing at home

Minny - 2 tough losses; emotional, division game

NONE of those teams look like sure things - especially on the road. Only hope is we execute, get/stay hot, hope for lucky breaks and people over looking us.

Freak Out
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
There are no sure wins in the NFL.

Airin' Rodgers
12-14-2009, 11:32 AM
To be honest, I would rather play NO than Minn. They have looked extremely shaky the past couple weeks.

CaptainKickass
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
If I'm every player on GB...as well as a Packer fan....

I want another shot at redemption against the BiQueens in the playoffs, preferably in the 1st game of the playoffs.

None of this chicken shit, panzy ass "avoiding" MN in the playoffs.

If our team is truly worthy, we bulldoze our way to the SB by way of defeating those Purple bastards.

CaliforniaCheez
12-14-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't buy the logic.

Would you rather play at Arizona, at Dallas, at NY Giants, or at Philadelphia. To me, if you play the NFC East winner, no matter who you play you'll end up playing the hottest team from that division. Horse a piece for me. I'd rather that we get the first Wild Card spot. That way, we have a shot at going to Minnesota in week 2 of the playoffs. I'd prefer that. I think we are more likely to beat Minnesota than New Orleans.

You don't buy the logic because you already have it. We are saying the same thing and that's why the Eagles win was a bad thing.

MichiganPackerFan
12-14-2009, 02:13 PM
If I'm every player on GB...as well as a Packer fan....

I want another shot at redemption against the BiQueens in the playoffs, preferably in the 1st game of the playoffs.

None of this chicken shit, panzy ass "avoiding" MN in the playoffs.

If our team is truly worthy, we bulldoze our way to the SB by way of defeating those Purple bastards.

I'd love nothing more that to get one more shot at the Vikings. Win and its euphoria, lose and my soul is shattered and you damn well better hide the booze and and prescription meds hanging around.

channtheman
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I am really not that concerned whether we play the Giants or the Eagles first, or if it's the Cardinals. Those first two teams have swiss cheese defenses from what I saw last night. The Giants are starting Aaron Rouse so that's a plus for any team that plays against them.

cheesner
12-14-2009, 03:34 PM
The Saints have been around for 44 years. They have played in 6 post season games. They have won 2 of them. They have never won 2 in a single year. I am actually not afraid of playing them. Thats just too much of a 'schnide' as Chris Behrman would say.

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I think we'll make the playoffs at this point.

We gotta play 3 good teams to go to the SB and there's no easy road there. What does it matter which teams they are? Hoping that the Giants were going to win the East wasn't much of a hope as they aren't playing all that great as they are 2-6 in their last 8 games.

Lurker64
12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
The first game we would play in the playoffs is almost certainly against a team we can beat (the NFC East Champ or Arizona). The second game in the playoffs is, unless we're the #6 seed, determined by who wins the other NFC game in the wildcard round. Nothing to worry about.

Who ends up with the better seed (the NFC East Champion or Arizona) and who we might play in the second round of the playoffs are not something we can control. Really, all we can control is "do we stay the #5 seed or do we fall to the #6 seed" and I'd rather be the #5 seed.

ThunderDan
12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
The first game we would play in the playoffs is almost certainly against a team we can beat (the NFC East Champ or Arizona). The second game in the playoffs is, unless we're the #6 seed, determined by who wins the other NFC game in the wildcard round. Nothing to worry about.

Who ends up with the better seed (the NFC East Champion or Arizona) and who we might play in the second round of the playoffs are not something we can control. Really, all we can control is "do we stay the #5 seed or do we fall to the #6 seed" and I'd rather be the #5 seed.

Hey!! We are still playing for the division title!!!

Lurker64
12-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Hey!! We are still playing for the division title!!!

We can't control that either. I say we should try to go 12-4 and then see where we end up in the seeding.

Jimx29
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
There are no sure wins in the NFL.especially when you have MM3 for a coach

digitaldean
12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
http://tinyurl.com/yb3y39x

This is the link if the playoffs were to start today scenario.

If we make it as a #6 seed we'd have to play the Iggles. Either way it's going to be tough to win on the road. We are 2 up on the G-men with 3 left. Not a lock, but close to it.

Besides, Philly is no shoe-in for the East crown anyway. They have San Fran, Denver and @Dallas.

We have to be better in red zone offense, special teams and penalties to make any real noise in the playoffs. That's a tall order to fix all in less than a month for any team. Can we win in the first round, absolutely.

Obviously I'd rather win out, but if we lose any of the remaining 3, it's going to be this weekend at Pittsburgh. This is their ABSOLUTE last chance to stay alive. If they don't win out they're done and Tomlin will instill as much into them. If we do lose, this is the least damaging because it's an out of conference game.

Depending on how bad NY or Dallas finishes up the last game of the season could be pretty anti-climactic.

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 12:40 PM

If we make it as a #6 seed we'd have to play the Iggles. Either way it's going to be tough to win on the road. We are 2 up on the G-men with 3 left. Not a lock, but close to it.

Besides, Philly is no shoe-in for the East crown anyway. They have San Fran, Denver and @Dallas.

We have to be better in red zone offense, special teams and penalties to make any real noise in the playoffs. That's a tall order to fix all in less than a month for any team. Can we win in the first round, absolutely.

Obviously I'd rather win out, but if we lose any of the remaining 3, it's going to be this weekend at Pittsburgh. This is their ABSOLUTE last chance to stay alive. If they don't win out they're done and Tomlin will instill as much into them. If we do lose, this is the least damaging because it's an out of conference game.

Depending on how bad NY or Dallas finishes up the last game of the season could be pretty anti-climactic.

I could see AZ needing to win that last game vs. Pack.

MOBB DEEP
12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I want the Packers to go as deep as they can into the playoffs.

That said, they control their own destiny.

I don't want them to back into anything.

Therefore, I don't give a rip who they play in the playoffs.

In fact, if they don't get into the playoffs, they probably don't deserve to be there.

I think they're good enough to beat anybody at this stage.

BINGO

Zool
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Cards have a 2 game lead. They play Detroit and St Louis the next 2 weeks. They should have their division wrapped up by the last game and not much to play for other than the 3rd or 4th seed. If the dumbasses could have just won lastnight it would pretty much be over.

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:02 PM

Cards have a 2 game lead. They play Detroit and St Louis the next 2 weeks. They should have their division wrapped up by the last game and not much to play for other than the 3rd or 4th seed. If the dumbasses could have just won lastnight it would pretty much be over.

Should, yes. But SF gets to play Det and St. Louis as well.

Lurker64
12-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Should, yes. But SF gets to play Det and St. Louis as well.

The problem though is that the Cardinals have a 2 game lead with 3 games to go, so San Francisco needs the Cardinals to lose at least two of their remaining games, which would mean they would have to lose to either the Lions or the Rams, which is tough for a team with a pulse to do

In order for the Cardinals to need to win the game against Green Bay to take the division, they would need to lose to one of Detroit or St. Louis and also have San Francisco win their next two games (at Philly and Detroit at home) or lose to both the Rams and the Lions and have San Francisco win at least one of those.

Pugger
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
There are no sure wins in the NFL.especially when you have MM3 for a coach

Yeah, who'd want a HC with a career record of 34-25-0 and likely getting his young team into the playoffs for the second time in 4 years... :roll:

Fritz
12-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Look at it this way: if MM were to be fired right now for some reason (though not, say, he's hot tubbing with underage girls - or boys) - would he be in demand as a head coach?

pbmax
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Look at it this way: if MM were to be fired right now for some reason (though not, say, he's hot tubbing with underage girls - or boys) - would he be in demand as a head coach?
Probably. His record is better than Ted's and he had success here (likely two playoff years and a couple of wins) while rebuilding. No one calls it that until they are looking for work in another city. He is also not tremendously expensive and not a threat to become GM.

Certainly as an O coordinator.

Fritz
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
So the answer of "who would want him?" is that we don't know who, but very likely somebody would.

Browns? Panthers? Buccaneers?

ThunderDan
12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
So the answer of "who would want him?" is that we don't know who, but very likely somebody would.

Browns? Panthers? Buccaneers?

Earlier in the year, after the Packers lost to CIN and people were calling for TT and MM's heads, NFL radio on Sirus was saying the Browns would take TT and MM in a heartbeat.