PDA

View Full Version : PlayoffStatus.com: GB Playoff Clinching Options

Badgerinmaine
12-14-2009, 06:08 AM
From the PlayoffStatus.com website: The Packers can sew up a wild card spot next week with a win over Pittsburgh and ANY ONE of the following:
Saints beat Dallas OR
SF beats the Eagles OR
Washington beats the Giants

They can even back into the playoffs without a win next week if all three scenarios above happen AND Arizona beats SF tonight.

I think that's pretty cool considering where the Packers were a month ago.

SkinBasket
12-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Saints beat Dallas

I like the chances on this one.

Badgerinmaine
12-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Saints beat Dallas

Yup, especially since it's at the Superdome.

MadScientist
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Saints beat Dallas

Yup, especially since it's at the Superdome.
And Demarcus Ware is out.

gbgary
12-14-2009, 11:21 AM
sweet!

Badgerinmaine
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
That was a very scary injury to see yesterday--they strapped him down to the stretcher as he was carted off the field, as they do when they fear possible paralysis--though thankfully he was able to move his hands and show the crowd that he could at least move that much. The diagnosis is that he had a neck sprain and he doesn't appear to have any paralysis, thank God.

MadScientist
12-14-2009, 02:08 PM
That was a very scary injury to see yesterday--they strapped him down to the stretcher as he was carted off the field, as they do when they fear possible paralysis--though thankfully he was able to move his hands and show the crowd that he could at least move that much. The diagnosis is that he had a neck sprain and he doesn't appear to have any paralysis, thank God.
To be clear, I wasn't cheering that he got an injury, especially not one as serious as the neck sprain he has. I do wish him a quick and complete recovery. It does however hurt Dallas' chance against NO.

First things first, beat Pittsburgh!

CaliforniaCheez
12-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Win one out of three (Seattle is a safe bet)
plus
Dallas lose one of three (playing at the Saints this week is a safe bet)

Just a matter of when.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
It's nice to be able to talk about clinching this far before the end of the season, but it honestly doesn't matter much to me. The teams needs to keep progressing, and end the year on a high note. Otherwise it diminishes what they've accomplished these last 5 weeks.

Badgerinmaine
12-15-2009, 04:54 AM
MadScientist--I figured that's what you meant. You're certainly right about the impact on the game. The Saints have had some narrow escapes this year--remember their win in Washington?--and sooner or later I think that'll catch up to them. Hopefully that won't be this Sunday.

Fritz
12-15-2009, 07:29 AM
It's nice to be able to talk about clinching this far before the end of the season, but it honestly doesn't matter much to me. The teams needs to keep progressing, and end the year on a high note. Otherwise it diminishes what they've accomplished these last 5 weeks.

You know, Scott, in a general sense I agree - the team needs to keep progressing. On the other hand, I used to think it was important to have momentum going into the playoffs. But honestly, that doesn't seem to matter. A team can lay a stinker the last two games of the year and then play well in the playoffs, and the team "nobody wants to play" going in often gets beat right away.

My views have changed.

packrat
12-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Don't forget what happened to Denver last year. They were "almost" in for weeks, but then lost every game. I'd like to see a sweep to keep the momentum going.

Badgerinmaine
12-16-2009, 08:00 AM
A possible correction to the PlayoffStatus.com post: NFL.com and CBSSports.com both say that San Francisco beating the Eagles (with a Packer win over Pittsburgh is NOT enough to get the Packers in the playoffs). A Packer win and a loss by the Cowboys or Giants this weekend is still enough to get GB in; I believe there are also some scenarios involving ties and the Giants as well.

Patler
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Don't forget what happened to Denver last year. They were "almost" in for weeks, but then lost every game. I'd like to see a sweep to keep the momentum going.

Ya, that had to be gut wrenching for their fans, let alone the team. The Broncos had a 3 game lead in their division with 3 just games to play. They lost all three while San Diego finished with a four game winning streak to tie the Broncos at 8-8 and make the playoffs on the tie-breaker.

pbmax
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Ya, that had to be gut wrenching for their fans, let alone the team. The Broncos had a 3 game lead in their division with 3 just games to play. They lost all three while San Diego finished with a four game winning streak to tie the Broncos at 8-8 and make the playoffs on the tie-breaker.
The Revenge of Ed Hoculi. :lol: