PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency - Chris Canty, Anyone?

Fritz
12-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Canty was the subject of hot rumours and hope in this past offseason, and when TT didn't seem to be making enough of a serious push to sign the guy, there was much criticism leveled. The Packers needed an experienced 3-4 end, Canty was perfect, TT was too cheap to spend what it took, and so on and so on.

Also much criticism of not pursuing Julius Peppers - maybe a Kampman for Peppers swap, some said.

So here we are. Peppers signed a monster, monster contract and is having a quiet year. A very quiet year.

Canty shone against the Cowboys. Otherwise, and including last night, he was quiet. He's also missed some time with a calf injury, I believe.

So next offeason, when people once again bitch and moan about how cheap TT is in free agency, I am going to bump this thread....

Iron Mike
12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
So next offeason, when people once again bitch and moan about how cheap TT is in free agency, I am going to bump this thread....

Are you gonna change your screen name to "Dabaddestpack," too??

:P

hoosier
12-14-2009, 08:21 AM
If TT had the balls to outbid NY for Canty, the Packers would have pitched a shutout against Dallas. :lol:

gbgary
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
that's not really fair. many fa's have made an impact on their clubs. if you need help, you need help. the draft is just as unpredictable. you hit on some and you miss on some.

hoosier
12-14-2009, 12:56 PM
that's not really fair. many fa's have made an impact on their clubs. if you need help, you need help. the draft is just as unpredictable. you hit on some and you miss on some.

Sure, but the nice thing about the draft is that the, excepting top 10 draft picks, the busts don't screw up your salary cap for years to come.

pbmax
12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
And young players get better. Older ones do not. They get injured.

Guiness
12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Come on Fritz, you know it's not that cut and dried.

I was against Peppers, just too much money for one player. As far as his quiet year, you have to wonder about motivation, and his total lack of desire to be in Carolina. We'll never know how he may have played here.

I still think Canty would have improved our team by adding more depth to our DE rotation, allowed us to drop Montgomery. It's not a given he would've been injured if here, and part of the reason we haven't seen a need for him is that Jolly and Jenkins have been healthy.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I think you guys should take it easy on B.

red
12-14-2009, 04:13 PM
when the whole talk about canty was going on most of us thought jolly would be in prison by now

without jolly is is a much weaker looking line.

also jolly and harrell were unknowns at the de in a 3-4, canty was a proven one

it isn't even worth mentioning JH's name

at least things worked out with jolly

and correct me if i'm wrong, but new york runs the 4-3. canty is not a 4-3 de. he's not a speed rusher guy, he's a run stuffing big bodied 3-4 DE

what the hell were the giants thinking when they got him. why haven't they moved him to DT? they also drafted clint sintim last year. one of the only lb'ers in the country that was a lber in a 3-4 in college

he never played OLB in a 4-3 before

what are those guys doing out there?

Brandon494
12-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree you see teams like the Skins and Cowboys trying to buy wins each offseason and they keep getting the same results.

Teams like the Colts and Steelers build thru the draft and win championships. That is what TT is trying to do here in GB and I think hes heading in the right direction.

pbmax
12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
when the whole talk about canty was going on most of us thought jolly would be in prison by now
Fair point. :D

mission
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM

For a little lean? Nawww... guys are out there murdering people and getting a month upstate.

Bretsky
12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Canty was the subject of hot rumours and hope in this past offseason, and when TT didn't seem to be making enough of a serious push to sign the guy, there was much criticism leveled. The Packers needed an experienced 3-4 end, Canty was perfect, TT was too cheap to spend what it took, and so on and so on.

Also much criticism of not pursuing Julius Peppers - maybe a Kampman for Peppers swap, some said.

So here we are. Peppers signed a monster, monster contract and is having a quiet year. A very quiet year.

Canty shone against the Cowboys. Otherwise, and including last night, he was quiet. He's also missed some time with a calf injury, I believe.

while you are at it go bump the draft thread showing how many were in protest of the Harrell Pick :wink:

Canty has been injured much of the year and is still not completely healthy. That has more to do with his lack of production than anything else and to me doesn't prove TT to be right or wrong.

Bretsky
12-14-2009, 06:04 PM

For the record I'd the first to hope TTT proves me wrong and wins multiple multiple Super Bowls with his way of building the team. Until then, I can cherry pick examples of moves he should have made and others can cherry pick his great moves he made or great moves he did not make.

All about winning a title; when we get them then put him on the next level.

I hope he brings us many.

Bretsky
12-14-2009, 06:05 PM

agree
after all I was the one who made the guarantee when we were at 4-4

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
I love how the people that whine that Thompson doesn't sign enough FAs whine when people point out that most of the people they wanted were busts. Whatever.

Brandon494
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I love how the people that whine that Thompson doesn't sign enough FAs whine when people point out that most of the people they wanted were busts. Whatever.

+1

TT knows what he is doing, you build winners thru the draft.

HarveyWallbangers
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
I don't mind people saying that they'd like to see Ted sign some more FAs or pointing out one or two that they'd like, but there are a lot of people that just go nutso because Thompson doesn't sign every big name out there. I think this year proves that Thompson can indeed find talent. Last year was mostly bad luck (injuries, close losses) and poor coaching on defense. I'm so excited for the future of this team.

cheesner
12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
but but but . .

But he's cheap

But he wont sign big FAs

But he's afraid to make a bold move

But he is a Turtle

But he has a huge ego

(TT has maxed out the cap every single season)
(See Charles Woodson)
(See Clay Matthews)
(he appears human)
(see a dictionary, then look at Jerry Jones, then watch a TT conference)

pbmax
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM

For a little lean? Nawww... guys are out there murdering people and getting a month upstate.
Its Texas. You never know.

pbmax
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM

agree
What do you say we spread some of that Kool-Aid drinking poster love around? :lol:

No method of player acquisition is fool-proof. And each has its particular pitfall (draft takes time and quality coaching, FA costs money, risks higher rate of injury and hinders development). But I don't think anyone here would vote NO on a referendum to encourage T2 to spend more money in FA.

But in truth we have no numbers on how these guys impact their teams or how long they play effectively. So its a very difficult call about how much of the team's resources should be tied up chasing FAs versus drafting and resigning your own.

Look at the O Line. From the final cuts on, the Packers looked very thin at Tackle. At that point, many wished Thompson had invested in a veteran. But a quick survey around the league shows that Pork Chop Womack and Orlando Pace didn't exactly work out as FAs.

Tauscher, even injured, helps mask this conundrum as does Clifton's return from injury. It also helps when you seem to have had a tremendous draft class this year. If Jones pans out and can play, then Thompson got a ridiculous number of starters in one year.

Fritz
12-15-2009, 07:14 AM
My point is, as one poster let me know on the last page, that "it's more complicated than that."

That's exactly it. The whole business is complicated. So when there's the annual Thompson-hates-free-agents thing starts up, that's oversimplifying things, isn't it? When people try to engage in discussions about why it might not be smart to trade for Peppers or why it might not have been a good idea to outbid the Giants, or that maybe Canty didn't want to come to Green Bay, that sometimes gets swept aside as making excuses for Thompson. We get that whole "the bottom line is winning" and "if you're not doing everything max to win then you aren't doing your job" stuff. Those easy-to-spew cliches that dont' account for the complexity of the situation.

The same thing is currently happening in terms of the reaction to the Chillar signing. There's a nice thread here about that contract - a really good one that tries to break down the contract and think about its implications. Yet there are also comments in some places (I see them all over the JSO and GBPG) about why Collins hasn't been given a new contract. There's this strange perception that somehow TT is being reckless by not having a contract in Collins's hands now.

Do people really think that Ted Thompson has no idea about how well Collins is playing? Do people really think he's just working on contracts for the Chillars and the other lesser lights on the team because he just doesn't feel like working something out for Collins? Do people really think he's not trying to figure out the best way to keep Collins's services and balancing that against what it will cost him regarding, say, Jolly and Pickett and not overpaying?

Here's a quote from a person comenting at the JSO that I found illuminating: "You blame Ted for NOT re-signing guys, then you blame him when he signs one of our better, emerging players. You blame him for NOT spending our cap money, then you blame him when we spend some..."

Okay, I'm not sure I agree that Chillar is an emerging player, but the rest of it rings true for me. Many people - and no, I was not aiming at Bretsky with this thread, he's not one of them - just flat out have decided that Thompson is wrong, wrong, wrong - and no matter what he does, it's the wrong thing. No matter what the record of the team is, he's a bad GM.

Can't we take into account the actual situation? Can't we look at Canty now and say gee, it was good he didn't get signed in Green Bay (cuz then how in the heck would Collins ever get a deal?). Can we acknowledge that Thompson has not done well on the offensive line (Colledge just is not playing consistently, and there's no left tackle waiting in the wings and Barbre and Giacomini don't seem to be the answer), that he seems to have screwed up by cutting Ryan, but that he's also molded a young team that is at 9-4 and has also found an excellent quarterback to follow up the Favre era? (And that ain't easy to do.)

cheesner
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Fritz, Very well written.

agree
What do you say we spread some of that Kool-Aid drinking poster love around? :lol:

No method of player acquisition is fool-proof. And each has its particular pitfall (draft takes time and quality coaching, FA costs money, risks higher rate of injury and hinders development). But I don't think anyone here would vote NO on a referendum to encourage T2 to spend more money in FA.

But in truth we have no numbers on how these guys impact their teams or how long they play effectively. So its a very difficult call about how much of the team's resources should be tied up chasing FAs versus drafting and resigning your own.

Look at the O Line. From the final cuts on, the Packers looked very thin at Tackle. At that point, many wished Thompson had invested in a veteran. But a quick survey around the league shows that Pork Chop Womack and Orlando Pace didn't exactly work out as FAs.

Tauscher, even injured, helps mask this conundrum as does Clifton's return from injury. It also helps when you seem to have had a tremendous draft class this year. If Jones pans out and can play, then Thompson got a ridiculous number of starters in one year.

Actually, this is the first coming off-season where I think TT should go after a big name FA. I think he should pursue one of about 3 OTs. I don't know any of them personally, but if any of them are high character guys - then TT should go after them. Other than that, I completely agree that TT should not be signing very many FAs. Right now I think our roster is nearly complete and we just need a piece or two. Of course, this is only if we have any $$ left after signing our home-grown talent.

KYPack
12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
I saw a list on the net of the top 10 UFA busts last season. If I find it, I'll post it here, but this class definitely had some stinkers that weren't worth the money. From Haynesworth on down, none of these guys came as advertised.

My question is, who was the FA signing that did the team that signed him a lot of good? I will plead lazy guy, I haven't looked. (TO wasn't one fer instance)

This season was absolutely the best one to not sign any high $ UFA's.

pbmax
12-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Here are the Free Agent O Lineman in 09:

OT..........Samuel Allen......UFA (Cut)....San Diego Chargers.....Free Agent
OG..........Stacy Andrews.....Signed.......Cincinnati Bengals.....Philadelphia Eagles
OG..........Brandon X. Barnes.Signed.......Baltimore Ravens.......Indianapolis Colts
OT..........Khalif Barnes.....Signed.......Jacksonville Jaguars...Oakland Raiders
OL..........Kirk Barton.......Signed.......Cincinnati Bengals.....Detroit Lions
OL..........Kirk Barton.......Signed.......Free Agent.............San Francisco 49ers
OT..........D'Anthony Batiste.Signed.......Atlanta Falcons........Washington Redskins
OT..........Joel Bell.........UFA (Cut)....Buffalo Bills..........Free Agent
OG..........Jacob Bender......UFA (Cut)....San Francisco 49ers....Free Agent
OG..........Joe Berger........Signed.......Dallas Cowboys.........Miami Dolphins
OT..........Jordan Black......Signed.......Jacksonville Jaguars...Jacksonville Jaguars
OT..........Jeremy Bridges....Signed.......Washington Redskins....Arizona Cardinals
OT..........Wesley Britt......RFA..........New England Patriots...Free Agent
OG..........Elton Brown.......UFA (Cut)....Arizona Cardinals......Free Agent
OG..........Dan Buenning......UFA (Cut)....Chicago Bears..........Free Agent
OL..........Glenn Bujnoch.....UFA (Cut)....Cincinnati Bengals.....Free Agent
OL..........Rashad Butler.....Re-signed....Houston Texans.........Houston Texans
OT..........Gerald Cadogan....UFA (Cut)....Carolina Panthers......Free Agent
OT..........Gerald Cadogan....Signed.......Free Agent.............Cincinnati Bengals
OT..........Gerald Cadogan....UFA (Cut)....Cincinnati Bengals.....Free Agent
OT..........Gerald Cadogan....Signed.......Free Agent.............Philadelphia Eagles
OT..........Vernon Carey......Re-signed....Miami Dolphins.........Miami Dolphins
OG..........Cooper Carlisle...Re-signed....Oakland Raiders........Oakland Raiders
OT..........Andrew Carnahan...Signed.......Kansas City Chiefs.....New York Giants
OT..........Andrew Carnahan...UFA (Cut)....New York Giants........Free Agent
OT..........Kirk Chambers.....Re-signed....Buffalo Bills..........Buffalo Bills
OT..........Tyson Clabo.......Re-signed....Atlanta Falcons........Atlanta Falcons
OT..........Richard Collier...RFA..........Jacksonville Jaguars...Free Agent
OT..........Willie Colon......Re-signed....Pittsburgh Steelers....Pittsburgh Steelers
OG..........Damion Cook.......Re-signed....Detroit Lions..........Detroit Lions
OG..........Harvey Dahl.......Re-signed....Atlanta Falcons........Atlanta Falcons
OT..........Anthony Davis.....UFA (Cut)....New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OL..........Brian DeLa Puente.Signed.......Kansas City Chiefs.....Free Agent
OL..........Brian DeLa Puente.UFA (Cut)....Seattle Seahawks.......Free Agent
OT..........Doug Dedrick......UFA (Cut)....Houston Texans.........Free Agent
OT..........Marc Dile.........UFA (Cut)....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Free Agent
OG..........Cedric Dockery....UFA (Cut)....New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OG..........Derrick Dockery...Signed.......Buffalo Bills..........Washington Redskins
OT..........Andre Douglas.....UFA (Cut)....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Free Agent
OL..........Damane Duckett....UFA (Cut)....New England Patriots...Free Agent
OT..........Trai Essex........Re-signed....Pittsburgh Steelers....Pittsburgh Steelers
OG..........Jahri Evans.......Re-signed....New Orleans Saints.....New Orleans Saints
OG..........Jason Fabini......UFA..........Washington Redskins....Free Agent
OG..........Paul Fanaika......Signed.......Philadelphia Eagles....Washington Redskins
OT..........Dan Federkeil.....RFA..........Indianapolis Colts.....Free Agent
OG..........Mike Fladell......UFA (Cut)....New York Jets..........Free Agent
OG..........Shawn Flanagan....Re-signed....New Orleans Saints.....New Orleans Saints
OG..........Toniu Fonoti......UFA (Cut)....Detroit Lions..........Free Agent
OG..........Kynan Forney......Signed.......San Diego Chargers.....Jacksonville Jaguars
OT..........George Foster.....UFA..........Detroit Lions..........Free Agent
OT..........George Foster.....Signed.......Detroit Lions..........Cleveland Browns
OL..........Renardo Foster....UFA..........Atlanta Falcons........Free Agent
OT..........Michael Gibson....Signed.......Philadelphia Eagles....Seattle Seahawks
OG..........Mike Goff.........Signed.......San Diego Chargers.....Kansas City Chiefs
OT..........Adam Goldberg.....Re-signed....St. Louis Rams.........St. Louis Rams
OT..........Brandon Gorin.....Signed.......St. Louis Rams.........Denver Broncos
OT..........Jordan Gross......Re-signed....Carolina Panthers......Carolina Panthers
OT..........Kwame Harris......UFA (Cut)....Oakland Raiders........Free Agent
OG..........Eric Heitmann.....UFA..........San Francisco 49ers....Free Agent
OT..........Corey Hilliard....Signed.......Indianapolis Colts.....Cleveland Browns
OG..........Russ Hochstein....Re-signed....New England Patriots...New England Patriots
OG..........Richie Incognito..Re-signed....St. Louis Rams.........St. Louis Rams
OG..........Greg Isdaner......UFA (Cut)....Philadelphia Eagles....Free Agent
OG..........Greg Isdaner......Signed.......Free Agent.............Dallas Cowboys
OT..........Scott Jackson.....UFA..........Houston Texans.........Free Agent
OL..........J.J. Jansen.......Signed.......Arizona Cardinals......Arizona Cardinals
OT..........Jon Jansen........Signed.......Washington Redskins....Detroit Lions
OT..........Jonas Jennings....UFA (Cut)....San Francisco 49ers....Free Agent
OT..........Marcus Johnson....UFA (Cut)....Oakland Raiders........Free Agent
OT..........Marcus Johnson....UFA (Cut)....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Free Agent
OG..........Adrian Jones......Signed.......Kansas City Chiefs.....Houston Texans
OT..........Levi Jones........Signed.......Free Agent.............Washington Redskins
OT..........Levi Jones........UFA (Cut)....Cincinnati Bengals.....Free Agent
OG..........Chris Kemoeatu....Re-signed....Pittsburgh Steelers....Pittsburgh Steelers
OG..........Pete Kendall......UFA..........Washington Redskins....Free Agent
OG..........Scott Kooistra....Signed.......Free Agent.............Cincinnati Bengals
OG..........Scott Kooistra....UFA (Cut)....Cincinnati Bengals.....Free Agent
OT..........Mike Kracalik.....Signed.......Baltimore Ravens.......New York Jets
OG..........Matt Lehr.........UFA..........New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OT..........Cory Lekkerkerker.Signed.......Dallas Cowboys.........Tennessee Titans
OG..........Matt Lentz........UFA (Cut)....Detroit Lions..........Free Agent
OT..........Bobby Lepori......UFA (Cut)....Minnesota Vikings......Free Agent
OT..........Cornelius Lewis...UFA (Cut)....Indianapolis Colts.....Free Agent
OT..........Kyle Link.........UFA (Cut)....New York Jets..........Free Agent
OG..........Daniel Loper......Signed.......Tennessee Titans.......Detroit Lions
OG..........Sean Mahan........UFA (Cut)....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Free Agent
OL..........James Marten......UFA (Cut)....Oakland Raiders........Free Agent
OL..........Nevin McCaskill...Signed.......Green Bay Packers......New York Jets
OT..........Damion McIntosh...UFA (Cut)....Kansas City Chiefs.....Free Agent
OT..........Sam McNaulty......UFA (Cut)....New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OL..........Paul McQuistan....UFA (Cut)....Oakland Raiders........Free Agent
OG..........Carlton Medder....Re-signed....Arizona Cardinals......Arizona Cardinals
OG..........Terrence Metcalf..UFA (Cut)....Detroit Lions..........Free Agent
OG..........Terrence Metcalf..UFA (Cut)....Chicago Bears..........Free Agent
OT..........Fred Miller.......UFA..........Chicago Bears..........Free Agent
OG..........Brandon Moore.....Re-signed....New York Jets..........New York Jets
OG..........Edwin Mulitalo....UFA (Cut)....Detroit Lions..........Free Agent
OT..........Chad Mustard......UFA (Cut)....Denver Broncos.........Free Agent
OG..........Chris Naeole......UFA..........Jacksonville Jaguars...Free Agent
OT..........Ryan O'Callaghan..Signed.......New England Patriots...Kansas City Chiefs
OT..........Clint Oldenburg...Signed.......Free Agent.............Minnesota Vikings
OT..........Frank Omiyale.....Signed.......Carolina Panthers......Chicago Bears
OT..........Mike Otto.........RFA..........Tennessee Titans.......Free Agent
OT..........Orlando Pace......Signed.......St. Louis Rams.........Chicago Bears
OG..........Jonathan Palmer...Signed.......Free Agent.............Pittsburgh Steelers
OT..........Augustus Parrish..UFA (Cut)....New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OT..........Tony Pashos.......Signed.......Jacksonville Jaguars...San Francisco 49ers
OG..........Erik Pears........Signed.......Denver Broncos.........Oakland Raiders
OT..........Donald Penn.......Re-signed....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Tampa Bay Buccaneers
OG..........Stephen Peterman..Re-signed....Detroit Lions..........Detroit Lions
OL..........Jermail Porter....Signed.......Free Agent.............Kansas City Chiefs
OL..........Duke Preston......UFA (Cut)....Green Bay Packers......Free Agent
OL..........Cory Procter......Re-signed....Dallas Cowboys.........Dallas Cowboys
OL..........Kurt Quarterman...Signed.......Free Agent.............Detroit Lions
OG..........Andrew Radovich...Signed.......Free Agent.............Indianapolis Colts
OG..........Tutan Reyes.......Signed.......New York Giants........Houston Texans
OT..........Stefan Rodgers....Signed.......Jacksonville Jaguars...Baltimore Ravens
OG..........Isaiah Ross.......UFA (Cut)....Washington Redskins....Free Agent
OT..........Oliver Ross.......Signed.......New England Patriots...Arizona Cardinals
OT..........Jon Runyan........Signed.......Philadelphia Eagles....San Diego Chargers
OT..........Ephraim Salaam....Signed.......Houston Texans.........Detroit Lions
OL..........Tyler Schmitt.....UFA (Cut)....Seattle Seahawks.......Free Agent
OT..........Kevin Shaffer.....Signed.......Cleveland Browns.......Chicago Bears
OT..........L.J. Shelton......UFA (Cut)....San Diego Chargers.....Free Agent
OT..........Marvel Smith......UFA..........Pittsburgh Steelers....Free Agent
OL..........Isaac Sowells.....UFA (Cut)....Cleveland Browns.......Free Agent
OT..........Charles Spencer...UFA (Cut)....Jacksonville Jaguars...Free Agent
OT..........John St. Clair....Signed.......Chicago Bears..........Cleveland Browns
OG..........Ryan Stanchek.....UFA (Cut)....Atlanta Falcons........Free Agent
OT..........Max Starks........Re-signed....Pittsburgh Steelers....Pittsburgh Steelers
OT..........Jon Stinchcomb....Re-signed....New Orleans Saints.....New Orleans Saints
OL..........Barry Stokes......UFA..........New England Patriots...Free Agent
OT..........Zach Strief.......RFA..........New Orleans Saints.....Free Agent
OT..........Mark Tauscher.....UFA..........Green Bay Packers......Free Agent
OT..........Mark Tauscher.....Signed.......Green Bay Packers......Green Bay Packers
OT..........Herb Taylor.......Signed.......Free Agent.............Denver Broncos
OT..........Herb Taylor.......UFA (Cut)....Kansas City Chiefs.....Free Agent
OT..........Tra Thomas........Signed.......Philadelphia Eagles....Jacksonville Jaguars
OL..........Brandon Torrey....Signed.......Tennessee Titans.......Houston Texans
OL..........Michael Toudouze..Signed.......Free Agent.............Indianapolis Colts
OT..........Elliot Vallejo....UFA (Cut)....Arizona Cardinals......Free Agent
OG..........Mike Wahle........UFA (Cut)....Seattle Seahawks.......Retired
OT..........Langston Walker...UFA (Cut)....Buffalo Bills..........Free Agent
OT..........Seth Wand.........UFA..........Oakland Raiders........Free Agent
OT..........Jason Watkins.....Signed.......Free Agent.............Buffalo Bills
OG..........Fred Weary........Signed.......Houston Texans.........Cleveland Browns
OT..........Chris L. White....UFA..........Houston Texans.........Free Agent
OG..........Jason Whittle.....UFA..........Buffalo Bills..........Free Agent
OG..........Ben Wilkerson.....UFA (Cut)....Atlanta Falcons........Free Agent
OT..........Mike D. Williams..Signed.......Jacksonville Jaguars...Washington Redskins
OT..........Ray Willis........Re-signed....Seattle Seahawks.......Seattle Seahawks
OT..........Julius Wilson.....UFA (Cut)....Tampa Bay Buccaneers...Free Agent
OG..........Floyd Womack......Signed.......Seattle Seahawks.......Cleveland Browns
OG..........Tony Wragge.......RFA..........San Francisco 49ers....Free Agent
OG..........Billy Yates.......Signed.......New England Patriots...Cleveland Browns
OG..........Billy Yates.......UFA (Cut)....New England Patriots...Free Agent
OT..........Eric Young........UFA (Cut)....St. Louis Rams.........Free Agent
OT..........Eric Young........Signed.......Cleveland Browns.......St. Louis Rams
OG..........Scott Young.......Signed.......Cleveland Browns.......Denver Broncos

hoosier
12-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I saw a list on the net of the top 10 UFA busts last season. If I find it, I'll post it here, but this class definitely had some stinkers that weren't worth the money. From Haynesworth on down, none of these guys came as advertised.

My question is, who was the FA signing that did the team that signed him a lot of good? I will plead lazy guy, I haven't looked. (TO wasn't one fer instance)

The two biggest successes in free agency this year are two ex-Packers: Darren Sharper and Bert. Jason Taylor is also playing well now that he's back in Miami. Then are some fringe players, like Leonard Weaver and Gerbil Wilson, who are contributing with their new teams. But overall, yeah, a pretty sorry crop it was.

EDIT: I am not considering any FAs who resigned with their old teams. If you look at those too the the list of "good FAs" gets much longer.

Patler
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
It's not surprising that it is now rare to see a FA signing make a big impact on his new team. There will always be a few, but there are not as many as there were at one time.

During the first 10 years or so of unrestricted FA under a salary cap, most teams managed to get themselves into horrible cap situations. Very good, and even outstanding players were available simply because their teams couldn't afford to keep them, even though they badly wanted to. June 1 used to see another waive of cuts of mostly somewhat older players with expensive contracts. These players could be signed to relatively inexpensive contracts, some even for veteran minimum wages. Some were still very good, but with very short futures.

Teams finally figured it out, and most teams have the cap resources to sign those of their free agents that they really want to keep. As a result, the players who hit the FA market are not often the elite players and elite team mates. They have "baggage" of one kind or another: age, injury history, inconsistency, personality/locker room issues, etc. Many are players who their teams choose not to re-sign at the money it will take. As a result, there are a lot more potential mistakes out there than there were in Wolf's time, for example. Teams really have to do their homework. Many FAs will not live up to their contracts for the very reasons that their old teams did not re-sign them.

A few will earn their contracts. Many will not. The Vikings have done very well finding good ones and avoiding bad ones, while still being quite active. The Packers have done fairly well with their signings while being much more conservative in their approach than the Vikings.

rbaloha1
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Not signing Canty was a good move. The packers d-line is playing well. Should JH finally solve the injury bug even better.

TT must concentrate on drafting both lines.

cheesner
12-15-2009, 02:19 PM

I don't think Haynesworth is playing that bad. He isn't worth what they paid for him, but he isn't a total slouch - as I figured he would be.

The problem with Washington is that they are willing to put $10M per year into one position. They have chewed up $40M in guaranteed money (and cap hit) over the next 4 years. There is a finite amount of money and the team is forced to skimp on other positions. They can't afford to resign all their players, and they are in a position of constantly trying to maintain and patch the roster. The roster is constantly turning over which doesn't allow the players to gel and form a cohesive - effective unit.

ThunderDan
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM

I don't think Haynesworth is playing that bad. He isn't worth what they paid for him, but he isn't a total slouch - as I figured he would be.

The problem with Washington is that they are willing to put $10M per year into one position. They have chewed up $40M in guaranteed money (and cap hit) over the next 4 years. There is a finite amount of money and the team is forced to skimp on other positions. They can't afford to resign all their players, and they are in a position of constantly trying to maintain and patch the roster. The roster is constantly turning over which doesn't allow the players to gel and form a cohesive - effective unit.

AH's stats 29 tackles, 3 sacks, 5 Passes Defensed

Real problem is he has played in 10/13 games. He has missed almost 25% of their games.

cheesner
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Real problem is he has played in 10/13 games. He has missed almost 25% of their games.
I have only seen 2-3 games this season and he was playing well in them. He was collapsing the pocket well. I very much expected him to 'Cletidius' it after getting the big money. His problem, from what I could see, is there isn't much talent around him. Orakpoo is now taking off and is maybe benefiting from the blocking disruption that AH is causing.

Injuries are also a big consideration. By putting your eggs (cap dollars) into a single basket, you are taking a great risk.

ThunderDan
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM

I have only seen 2-3 games this season and he was playing well in them. He was collapsing the pocket well. I very much expected him to 'Cletidius' it after getting the big money. His problem, from what I could see, is there isn't much talent around him. Orakpoo is now taking off and is maybe benefiting from the blocking disruption that AH is causing.

Injuries are also a big consideration. By putting your eggs (cap dollars) into a single basket, you are taking a great risk.

Washington's D has been good this year, the O can't put up points.

red
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Not signing Canty was a good move. The packers d-line is playing well. Should JH finally solve the injury bug even better.

jh better figure out the bug thing quick, if he so much as sprains a finger in TC next season he should be canned

Smidgeon
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM

jh better figure out the bug thing quick, if he so much as sprains a finger in TC next season he should be canned

What if he can play through it?

red
12-15-2009, 10:37 PM

What if he can play through it?

LOL

now THATS funny