PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1st Mock draft

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:04 PM
Can anyone willing to pay ESPN please post the first mock drafts they have? They just posted it today.

Yeah I'm from MN so I won't pay the bastards.

Lurker64
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
In case anybody is thinking of spiting the Vikings fan by not posting this just because he is a Vikings fan, I would also like to see this.

Smidgeon
12-15-2009, 03:15 PM
And I am interested in reading Lurker's analysis of ESPN's mock draft. Or, as I like to call it: mocking the mock.

Brandon494
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Has us picking C.J. Spiller :D

RB, Clemson-In this scenario, Spiller slides down the board and Green Bay wins the lottery. Spiller would add a big-play element to the running game, and his ability to motion out into the slot makes him an excellent fit for the Packers' pass-heavy scheme.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?p=3071243

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:32 PM
From the top of Mel's I see it's very different.

Lurker64
12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Some preliminary thoughts:

-Both Cleveland and St. Louis passing on a QB is ridiculous.

- Derrick Morgan at #2 to Cleveland is *insane*, they're a 3-4 team remember? If you're a 3-4 team looking for a first round outside pass rusher you take Jerry Hughes (why isn't Hughes in the first round anyway?)

-Not sure if the Bucs would take Eric Berry over Gerald McCoy. The two of them make up the latter two of the top 3 defensive players, but there's going to be quite an argument in the draft room for whoever has to pick between Berry and McCoy.

- I'm not sure the Chiefs give up on Brandon Albert this early. A lot of his struggles this year are due to the fact that they've trying to completely reteach him the position. I think McClain to KC makes a lot more sense if Berry isn't available.

-Dunlap to Oakland makes a lot of sense. He's a classic Al Davis Height Weight Speed guy, but don't be surprised if Alpatine reaches for Taylor Mays. Not only is Mays a ridiculous athletic specimen (with suspect tape), Davis loves to draft defensive backs.

-I think top 10 is too high for Bruce Campbell, though people do reach for OTs. He's just got too many question marks to really be worth top 10 money. The Steelers badly need OL help though.

-Jimmy Clausen falling that far is plausible, considering that the #2 QB often falls these days. But I'm not personally convinced he's the #2 QB. He would have been below Locker if Locker declared, but I'm not convinced Bradford is ahead of him. Both those guys have a lot of question marks and the difference between them is not 10 picks.

-It's sort of amazing how much Taylor Mays's stock has fallen because he went back to school, isn't it?

-I like Spiller a lot and would be glad to have him. You'd have to consider moving up in the second to make sure you can get a developmental OL prospect like Charles Brown out of USC (he's lazy and he's light, but he's got tackle feet).

- Johnathon Dwyer in the first round scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he's got a great mix of speed and power, but playing in the triple option in college means that he really never had to make his own reads; his QB made his reads for him on most plays. I'd be glad if this isn't our problem.

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Agree about the QB stuff, Lurker. Although I could see St. Louis go Suh. Was hoping Locker would come out so maybe a Clausen fell to MN. Now DL/OL is likely unless there is the BPA.

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:51 PM
And thanks Brandon.

mngolf19
12-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Picks 1-16
Defense dominates top of mock draftThe top 10 features four defensive linemen, a linebacker and a safetyEmail Print Share By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
OK ... Let's try this again. Our first run at our first 2010 mock draft hit a little speed bump when our projected No. 1 overall pick -- Washington QB Jake Locker -- announced he is returning to school for his senior season. So after reviewing team needs, we once again bring out the 2010 mock first round.

We've ordered this first round according to current NFL standings, and ties between teams with identical records are broken based on 2009 strength of schedule, with the team with the weaker strength of schedule getting the higher pick.

The purpose of this early mock draft is to get a feel for the top players on the board and where they might fit into the first round. We include the top draft-eligible underclassmen in this, and while it might bite us occasionally (see Locker, Jake), it gives a better and more fair representation of what the first round might eventually look like, as opposed to if we were to do this with only the senior prospects.

As it stands right now, defensive players and offensive tackles rule the top 10, with a quarterback and safety thrown in the mix as well.

St. Louis Rams Record: 1-12
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska-Reach for a quarterback or take the top defensive lineman in the class? Tough call, but we think the Rams should take Suh. Anyone who saw the Big 12 championship game knows what kind of effect the explosive Suh can have on a game. He is a disruptive run defender with the arm strength to toss aside blockers and the quickness to make plays behind the line of scrimmage. Although he isn't the most polished pass-rusher, he clearly has great potential in this area.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Record: 1-12
Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee-The Bucs might be hesitant to take a safety with the second overall selection, but we believe he's the premier prospect in the 2010 class. Much like the Baltimore Ravens' All-Pro Ed Reed, Berry is a game-changer with exceptional versatility.

Cleveland Browns Record: 2-11
Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech-Morgan can anchor at the point of attack, make plays in pursuit, get to the quarterback coming off the edge and drop into coverage. That type of versatility would be a nice addition to a Browns defensive front seven that lacks difference-makers.

Detroit Lions Record: 2-11
Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma-The Lions are in dire need of a difference-maker along the defensive front, and McCoy is the prototypical 3-technique with the quick first step and power to make a living in opposing backfields.

Kansas City Chiefs Record: 3-10
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State-Help up front might be Kansas City's greatest need. LOT Branden Albert -- a first-round pick in 2008 -- has had problems staying healthy, and he could slide to the right side or even inside to guard if the Chiefs land a franchise left tackle. Okung is the most complete offensive tackle prospect in this class and could provide that piece of the puzzle for Kansas City.

Oakland Raiders Record: 4-9
Carlos Dunlap*, DE, FloridaDunlap is very much a buyer-beware prospect. On one hand, an arrest on DUI charges the week of the SEC championship game and questions about his work ethic raise red flags. On the other hand, 290-pound defensive linemen who move as well as he does are few and far between.

Washington Redskins Record: 4-9
Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma-Surgery on his throwing shoulder and concerns about the scheme he played in at Oklahoma caused Bradford to fall behind Locker on our board. On the other hand, Bradford has the physical tools and football IQ to quickly develop into an effective starting NFL quarterback.

Denver Broncos (from 5-8 Chicago) Record: 8-5
Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama McClain is a tough, relentless run stopper who masks his lack of ideal range with great instincts and his ability to take good angles. He's not a two-down linebacker, either, and can more than hold his own in underneath coverage.

Seattle Seahawks Record: 5-8
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma-Williams moved from the right to the left side this year, and while he didn't fare as well this season as he had in previous seasons, he is capable of quickly developing into an effective NFL starting right tackle. He is a tough run-blocker who drives his feet once in position, and he can hold his own in pass protection when his footwork is sound.

Buffalo Bills Record: 5-8
Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers-Davis comes with a bit of baggage, but there isn't an offensive lineman in the 2010 class with a better combination of size and agility.

San Francisco 49ers Record: 6-7
Joe Haden*, CB, Florida-San Francisco's pass defense has been a liability this season, and the 49ers need to inject some youth and talent into their cornerback unit. Haden is the best cover corner in his class, has the burst to stalk receivers underneath and shows the speed to run with them downfield.

Pittsburgh Steelers Record: 6-7
Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland-Campbell is a work in progress and could benefit from another year in college, but he is shooting up draft boards after a strong 2009 season and might be too talented for the Steelers, who need help at offensive tackle, to pass up.

San Francisco 49ers (from 5-8 Carolina) Record: 6-7
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas-San Francisco could reach for an offensive lineman like Bryan Bulaga here, but in our opinion, Kindle is too good a value to pass up. Although he has to improve his ability to anchor against the run, he has the burst and agility base 3-4 defenses covet at outside linebacker.

Houston Texans Record: 6-7
Earl Thomas**, S, Texas-Like Berry, there isn't much Thomas can't do on a football field. He can match up with slot receivers and blitz off the edge, has great range in coverage and steps up in run support.

Tennessee Titans Record: 6-7
Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida-Pierre-Paul wreaks havoc off the edge and would be a nice addition to the Titans, whose defensive ends are showing signs of aging.

Atlanta Falcons Record: 6-7
Navorro Bowman*, OLB, Penn State-The Falcons need an impact player at cornerback, but the next-best corner, Florida State's Patrick Robinson, is not worth taking this early. Bowman has some off-the-field baggage, but he might be the best all-around athlete at linebacker in this class.

Picks 17-32
Baltimore Ravens Record: 7-6
Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State-Baltimore needs to give 2008 first-round pick and franchise QB Joe Flacco a playmaker at receiver. Bryant was ruled ineligible by the NCAA earlier this season, but teams have seen more than enough to know he can stretch the field.

Jacksonville Jaguars Record: 7-6
Bruce Carter*, OLB, North Carolina-Jacksonville could upgrade at outside linebacker, and Carter would be an excellent value here. He would benefit from adding some bulk to his frame, but he's a rangy run-stopper and he shows above-average ball skills in coverage.

New York Giants Record: 7-6
Brandon Spikes*, ILB, Florida-Antonio Pierce sustained a season-ending neck injury and has just one year left on his contract, so Spikes would be a good fit as a future replacement. While injuries slowed Spikes this year, he is an instinctive run-stopper who can make plays all over the field when he's healthy. He also has flashed big-play ability in coverage.

New York Jets Record: 7-6
Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa-Bulaga plays a bit high and his footwork could be better, but the Jets need help at tackle and he's the best available.

Miami Dolphins Record:7-6
Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame-Tate is a bit of a reach this high, but the Dolphins are in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver and he's the next-best one this class has to offer behind Bryant.

Arizona Cardinals Record: 8-5
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma-Gresham missed the entire 2009 season with a knee injury, and he doesn't offer much as a run-blocker. However, our film evaluation makes it clear he has what it to takes to develop into one of the most productive and dangerous receiving tight ends in the league.

Seattle Seahawks (from 8-5 Denver) Record: 5-8
Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame-Current starter Matt Hasselbeck is 34 years old, and backup Seneca Wallace doesn't appear to be the long-term answer. There are concerns about Clausen's release and he doesn't have ideal arm strength, but his mobility and accuracy underneath would make him a good fit for a West Coast offense.

Dallas Cowboys Record: 8-5
Taylor Mays, S, USC-We've seen Mays get caught out of position far too often to move him ahead of Berry or Thomas. However, it's rare to find defensive backs with Mays' size and speed combination, and he would be an upgrade for the Cowboys.

New England Patriots Record: 8-5
Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson-New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush, and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense.

Green Bay Packers Record: 9-4
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson-In this scenario, Spiller slides down the board and Green Bay wins the lottery. Spiller would add a big-play element to the running game, and his ability to motion out into the slot makes him an excellent fit for the Packers' pass-heavy scheme.

Cincinnati Bengals Record: 9-4
Marvin Austin*, DT, North Carolina-Cincinnati leads the league in rushing defense but having quality depth and talent at defensive tackle is essential to staying on top of the AFC North, so adding Austin makes sense. He's a stout interior run defender and powerful bull rusher.

Philadelphia Eagles Record: 9-4
Vladimir Ducasse, OT, Massachusetts-Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet might not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle, he has the makings of an excellent guard.

San Diego Chargers Record: 10-3
Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech-Darren Sproles is an excellent change-of-pace back, but he's too small to be the primary ball carrier, and 30-year-old LaDainian Tomlinson hasn't looked the same the past two years. Taking Dwyer here would give the Chargers a physical between-the-tackles runner capable of carrying the ball 20-plus times and setting up the play-action package.

Minnesota Vikings Record: 11-2
Brian Price*, DT, UCLA-Price is said to be leaning toward entering the upcoming draft. He's a quick and powerful defender who could provide some much-needed depth behind aging starters Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.

Indianapolis Colts Record: 13-0
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State-Odrick doesn't have great athletic ability, but he's quick, flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly and plays with a nonstop motor, making him a good fit for an Indianapolis organization looking to upgrade its run defense.

New Orleans Saints Record: 13-0
Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee-Williams is a reach here, but like Indianapolis, the Saints should be looking to upgrade their run defense, and adding the 311-pound Williams would be a step in the right direction.

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Red would wet himself if this happened

Freak Out
12-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Talk about a fantasy draft.... :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I can't see Minnesota drafting Price.

I think the obvious choice at DT is Dan Williams. :)

red
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM

i did just reading about it, again

i've seen a lot of mocks having us taking spiller, i love it

if there is no clear cut OT where we pick at the end of round one, and if CJ somehow falls all the way to the end of the run. then i would love TT to jump on that

of course he won't, he'll have a chance to draft him, but choose to trade down and draft some guy i barely know that plays QB or some stupid thing

and why do so many people have spiller going so low? i just don't get how he lasts to the end of the round

Smidgeon
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
and why do so many people have spiller going so low? i just don't get how he lasts to the end of the round

In the last couple years, unless there's a sure-fire prospect (i.e. Reggie Bush :roll: ), the top RB draftees have been sliding to the end of round 1. Short NFL shelf-life and all...

mission
12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Are you kidding about Derrick Morgan? The guy is an animal!! I don't know about #2 in the draft but your justification is off. He's a 3-4 guy all the way. Would love to have him in GB ... he'd play Jones' position. I figure he'll go Top 10 depending on who's drafting there with a 3-4.

mission
12-15-2009, 06:32 PM

In the last couple years, unless there's a sure-fire prospect (i.e. Reggie Bush :roll: ), the top RB draftees have been sliding to the end of round 1. Short NFL shelf-life and all...

I think the combine is going to change that when people see how fast he really is.

Here's to hoping he slips coming out of his stance a few times and runs over 5.0 !!! :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM

if there is no clear cut OT where we pick at the end of round one, and if CJ somehow falls all the way to the end of the run. then i would love TT to jump on that

of course he won't, he'll have a chance to draft him, but choose to trade down and draft some guy i barely know that plays QB or some stupid thing

Ted does not like Red

Ted will not draft who Red Wants.......for suport...refer to Jordy Nelson and Justine Harrell

red
12-15-2009, 06:54 PM

yeah i know they have shorter careers, and i know you can find decent ones in the later rounds

but damn, look at what kind of impact ap and chris johnson have had

i think cj can be that kind of game changing playmaker

red
12-15-2009, 07:08 PM

Ted does not like Red

Ted will not draft who Red Wants.......for suport...refer to Jordy Nelson and Justine Harrell

BRANDON EFFING FLOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you weren't the only guy that wanted meachem in 07

guys i wanted ted to pick in 07 that were available at 16

michael griffin
reggie nelson
brandon merriweather
dwayne bowe
robert meachem (i liked him a lot, seemed like good pack people)
joe staley
ben grubbs
jon beason
greg olsen
eric weddle
zach miller
justin blalock (i really liked him)

those are just some of the guys i remember liking at the time. that day i really was happy going into it because i figured TT would have to draft someone i thought would healp the team

but we picked justin harrell, a guy that was completely off my 1st round radar

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Ted does not like Red

BRANDON EFFING FLOWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you weren't the only guy that wanted meachem in 07

guys i wanted ted to pick in 07 that were available at 16

michael griffin
reggie nelson
brandon merriweather
dwayne bowe
robert meachem (i liked him a lot, seemed like good pack people)
joe staley
ben grubbs
jon beason
greg olsen
eric weddle
zach miller
justin blalock (i really liked him)

those are just some of the guys i remember liking at the time. that day i really was happy going into it because i figured TT would have to draft someone i thought would healp the team

but we picked justin harrell, a guy that was completely off my 1st round radar

LMAO as I'm reading this; I think we were both in the draft threads as they made those picks. A former poster, cpk, actually bumped the 07 draft thread to call me and a few others idiots for being disgusted with the Harrell Pick on one of the few games he was healthy. As for Jordy Nelson...he's a Packer person and will turn out fine...but dam would Flowers or DeSean Jackson look nice in Green n Gold

Scott Campbell
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
He probably should have bumped the Odell Thurman thread.

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
That mock almost has Taylor Mays falling to us
Would he play the same position as Bigby ?

If he would I'd take him in a second as well

But I'd take Spiller in a heartbeat :!:

mission
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Mays has no ball skills and has been out of position much this year. Think of Sharper with no INTs and a little bit harder of a hitter. He's one of those shoulder tacklers who tests through the roof (super strong and fast).

He's another guy, along with Bradford, who dropped considerably in the draft by sticking around another year.

Aside from the playmaking side of things, he could probably be coached up a good amount but he just doesn't have that much of a knack for the ball.

red
12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Mays has no ball skills and has been out of position much this year. Think of Sharper with no INTs and a little bit harder of a hitter. He's one of those shoulder tacklers who tests through the roof (super strong and fast).

He's another guy, along with Bradford, who dropped considerably in the draft by sticking around another year.

Aside from the playmaking side of things, he could probably be coached up a good amount but he just doesn't have that much of a knack for the ball.

i seen it mentioned a few times that he might make the urlacher move from safety to LB in the pros

mission
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM

i seen it mentioned a few times that he might make the urlacher move from safety to LB in the pros

now that's something I can see... at 6'4" he's got the frame to grow into it like Urlacher did. Interesting.

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 07:56 PM

another Thomas Davis ??

Brings back memories that created the Curse of Bretsky; remember how much I loved the Georgia Bulldog Bash Brothers ?

Odell Thurman, Thomas Davis, and David Pollack sp?

Davis turned out alright but the other two were junk.

Actually, Odell Thurman was the closest player to Wayne Simmons I've seen. But Odell was destructive from the get go. He never tamed down and as a result didn't last long in the NFL.

It seemed like Wayne Simmons needed Fritz Shurmur; he was not the same after he left

red
12-15-2009, 07:57 PM

now that's something I can see... at 6'4" he's got the frame to grow into it like Urlacher did. Interesting.

and he's already in the 235 lb range. another 5 to 10 pounds and you're looking at a super fast hard hitting line backer

mission
12-15-2009, 08:00 PM

and he's already in the 235 lb range. another 5 to 10 pounds and you're looking at a super fast hard hitting line backer

and he'd be an ILB ? can't imagine you'd project a a pass rusher out of it but he'd hit the hole hard and be able to drop into zone coverages pretty easily. intriguing prospect really.

Lurker64
12-15-2009, 08:04 PM
I hate to break up the Taylor Mays love, but have any of you guys seen him tackle? He does it with his elbows. He's got a long way to go before he can play LB, and honestly the tape on him isn't that good. Last year he was a top 10 prospect because he has a unique blend of size and speed, and people were surprised when he went back to school. In the meantime, he's been exposed as a player who is frequently out of position and often takes bad angles. He makes up for a lot of mistakes in college by being one of the fastest guys on the field, but he'd be a project in the NFL for anything other than "S who plays Center Field".

mission
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I hate to break up the Taylor Mays love, but have any of you guys seen him tackle? He does it with his elbows. He's got a long way to go before he can play LB, and honestly the tape on him isn't that good. Last year he was a top 10 prospect because he has a unique blend of size and speed, and people were surprised when he went back to school. In the meantime, he's been exposed as a player who is frequently out of position and often takes bad angles. He makes up for a lot of mistakes in college by being one of the fastest guys on the field, but he'd be a project in the NFL for anything other than "S who plays Center Field".

I know I'm not one of the most paid-attention-to posters here, but yeah... the Taylor Mays love was broke up a few posts ago.

Your regurgitation of my post was worded better tho. :wink:

Brando19
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Why isn't Tim Tebow in the first round here?

Bretsky
12-15-2009, 09:46 PM

projected to be round 2 by most...maybe lower

Lurker64
12-15-2009, 09:47 PM

Because he's not a first round prospect. He's a player in search of a position since, as a quarterback, all of his mechanics are a mess. He's either going to be a long term project at QB or play TE or H-Back or something, either way he's not a first round prospect.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM

another Thomas Davis ??

Brings back memories that created the Curse of Bretsky; remember how much I loved the Georgia Bulldog Bash Brothers ?

Odell Thurman, Thomas Davis, and David Pollack sp?

Davis turned out alright but the other two were junk.

Actually, Odell Thurman was the closest player to Wayne Simmons I've seen. But Odell was destructive from the get go. He never tamed down and as a result didn't last long in the NFL.

It seemed like Wayne Simmons needed Fritz Shurmur; he was not the same after he left

Pollack was hardly junk. Considering that he started only 5 games and still registered 4.5 sacks, pollack was on his way to being a solid player.

Unfair to label a player who had his career ended by a spine injury junk.

Would you call Terrence Murphy junk?

red
12-15-2009, 10:36 PM

because most people think he'll be a massive flop as a nfl QB. he runs the option, not exactly a pro set

the only reason anyone has him going in the first at all is because they think jacksonville will jump on him in an attempt to save their franchise

bobblehead
12-15-2009, 11:25 PM

I know I'm not one of the most paid-attention-to posters here, but yeah... the Taylor Mays love was broke up a few posts ago.

Your regurgitation of my post was worded better tho. :wink:

who are you??? how did you get so many posts in and I never noticed you? :oops: :oops:

Tyrone Bigguns
12-15-2009, 11:44 PM

because most people think he'll be a massive flop as a nfl QB. he runs the option, not exactly a pro set

the only reason anyone has him going in the first at all is because they think jacksonville will jump on him in an attempt to save their franchise

Tebow doesn't run the option. He runs the spread.

Guiness
12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Pollack was hardly junk. Considering that he started only 5 games and still registered 4.5 sacks, pollack was on his way to being a solid player.

Unfair to label a player who had his career ended by a spine injury junk.

Would you call Terrence Murphy junk?

I was thinking the same thing - Pollack was looking like a pretty damn good rookie starter when shit went bad for him.

Odell's playing was never his problem...

Back on topic; Berry at #2? When was the last a safety was taken there? Last time a safety was even taken in the top 5 was Sean Taylor. After that you can go back a decade to find another one.

rbaloha1
12-17-2009, 11:54 AM
- Johnathon Dwyer in the first round scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he's got a great mix of speed and power, but playing in the triple option in college means that he really never had to make his own reads; his QB made his reads for him on most plays. I'd be glad if this isn't our problem.

LT played in an option offense. So did Roger Craig, Ahman Green, etc. A good rb is a good rb regardless of system. Dwyer will do well in the NFL. A better Ray Rice.

rbaloha1
12-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Mays played hurt this season. Yes, he played poorly. Should have declared for the draft last season.

The real TM is soph and junior seasons. IMO still warrants a top 10 pick if fully recovered.