PDA

View Full Version : Jolly

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-15-2009, 03:58 PM
HOUSTON — Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly was indicted Tuesday on drug possession charges — for a second time — by a Harris County, Texas, grand jury.

Jolly, 26, a Houston native, was arrested there July 8 for possession of at least 200 grams of codeine. Houston police found cups containing codeine syrup in a vehicle driven by Jolly.

Jolly was charged with possession of codeine in the form of cough syrup, which is commonly mixed with soda to make a mind-altering drink called “lean” that originated in the Houston area.

A grand jury initially indicted Jolly on Oct. 1, 2008, but those charges were dropped July 16.

The dismissal hinged on the Houston Police Department crime lab’s ability to measure the amount of codeine in the evidence. New equipment allowed police to test the evidence accurately and allowed the case to move forward, said Donna Hawkins, spokeswoman for the Harris County Assistant District Attorney’s Office said.

The charges filed Tuesday are identical to those filed last year. Jolly faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted, though as a first-time offender, he also could be placed on probation.

Jolly’s agent has suggested the cough syrup belonged to someone else in Jolly’s car.

Hawkins said Jolly will be expected to turn himself in to Texas authorities and have an initial court appearance scheduled. Jolly was free on $10,000 bail while the first case was pending.

The deadline for Jolly’s surrender remained unclear, Hawkins said.

Smidgeon
12-15-2009, 04:10 PM
So it isn't that he's "still making mistakes" but that the charges were re-filed...

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
So it isn't that he's "still making mistakes" but that the charges were re-filed...

Yeah I guess you right.

packers11
12-15-2009, 04:40 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers DE Johnny Jolly was indicted on drug possession charges for a second time Tuesday.

Charges were dropped back in July, but that was dependent on evidence. The authorities have since obtained new equipment that measures the amount of codeine Jolly had in his possession. A trial date has not yet been scheduled.
S
source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

mraynrand
12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Too bad it didn't happen in Minnesota. Drug possession isn't illegal there.

Smidgeon
12-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Drug use isn't illegal there.

red
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
we need to sign chris canty

Rastak
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

I think it's just weight loss drugs that are legal. Funny how they are illegal in 49 other states.....actually....................

Scott Campbell
12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Weight loss. :lol:

Rastak
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Weight loss. :lol:

Hey, that's what they took.

You might want to take a look at Fat Pat. He sorta needs it too!

CaliforniaCheez
12-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Many of us remember Codiene as over the counter additive to cough syrup.

No prescription required in Canada. Larger people require higher doses.

With no commerce involved, the danger to society is rather small. Questionable chances of conviction and very little danger of more than a fine or perhaps community service.

No action from the NFL.

mission
12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Many of us remember Codiene as over the counter additive to cough syrup.

No prescription required in Canada. Larger people require higher doses.

With no commerce involved, the danger to society is rather small. Questionable chances of conviction and very little danger of more than a fine or perhaps community service.

No action from the NFL.

OZ (fluid oz obviously) goes for $40 ... that's about 1 or 2 cups worth. Huge commerce in the "african american community". Guys buy a small bottle for $120-200. Cocaine prices.

MJZiggy
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers DE Johnny Jolly was indicted on drug possession charges for a second time Tuesday.

Charges were dropped back in July, but that was dependent on evidence. The authorities have since obtained new equipment that measures the amount of codeine Jolly had in his possession. A trial date has not yet been scheduled.
S

Double jeopardy?

Rastak
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
www.rotoworld.com

S

Double jeopardy?

I think you have to be go to trail twice for it to be double jeopardy.

Scott Campbell
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
www.rotoworld.com

S

Double jeopardy?

You can go to trial twice like the NBA dude who shot that driver guy. You can't be found not guilty and then be re-tried. The Skinbasket should be able to explain this.

KYPack
12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
www.rotoworld.com

S

Double jeopardy?

The charges were dismissed back then without prejudice. That means they can be refiled.

There is no way in hell I thought these charges would be re-filed. Houston dismissed a gun charge and weed possession against his former co-defendants. The original charge was possession with intent to distribute. There is no way this is a distribution case. The lads were partying, not selling. This is barely enough lean for Jolly & they boys to get a good buzz.

Jolly is getting hosed here, but he will basically get out of it.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-15-2009, 09:57 PM
www.rotoworld.com

S

Double jeopardy?

You can go to trial twice like the NBA dude who shot that driver guy. You can't be found not guilty and then be re-tried. The Skinbasket should be able to explain this.

Umm, factually incorrect.

mraynrand
12-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Drug use? I'm not sure that's even a crime anymore. There have been a lot of changes.

Guiness
12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Re-filed these charges? Seems like overkill to me.

You have to think he pissed in someone's cornflakes, or someone is hotdogging, looking to get noticed by 'being tough' with an NFL player.

Is it an election year for in Texas or something?

red
12-15-2009, 10:33 PM
here's florio's take. dude was a lawyer up until about a year ago, so he should know a thing or two about jeopardy

Jolly indicted again on drug charges
Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2009 11:00 PM ET
In July, Packers defensive tackle Johnny Jolly was scheduled to stand trial on felony drug charges in Houston.

A day before the trial commenced, prosecutors dropped the charges. But the plan, as stated at the time, was to eventually seek a new indictment of Jolly.

That new indictment came today.

Authorities arrested Jolly in July 2008 for possession of at least 200 milligrams of codeine, the active ingredient in cough syrup that routinely is mixed with soda to make a potent intoxicant.

The dismissal arose from the ability of the police to properly measure the amount of codeine in the liquid seized from Jolly's alleged possession at the time.

We suspect that some of you will invoke the Constitutional protection against double jeopardy. Your instincts generally are accurate, but jeopardy does not "attach" untl the trial begins. If the trial doesn't begin, there can be no double jeopardy because there never was a single jeopardy.

The only limitation, then, is the statute of limitations applicable to the charges that will be pursued.

Zool
12-15-2009, 11:33 PM

Drug use? I'm not sure that's even a crime anymore. There have been a lot of changes.

I'll take a bloody mary, a steak sandwich......and a steak sandwich.

denverYooper
12-16-2009, 12:21 AM

In the court ruling US vs. Fishbine, a man subjected to potential incineration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets. It's an obscure ruling, but a very important one to me.

SkinBasket
12-16-2009, 05:57 AM
www.rotoworld.com

S

Double jeopardy?

Umm, factually incorrect.

Ty is right. I cannot explain this. Mainly that someone down there has such a hard on to prosecute a guy for putting cough syrup in his soda.

swede
12-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Ty is right. I cannot explain this. Mainly that someone down there has such a hard on to prosecute a guy for putting cough syrup in his soda.

:lol:

Noodle
12-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure why Ty thinks SC is factually inaccurate unless there's something about the basketball player story that SC got wrong.

I think it works like this (subject to Skinbasket review):

If a jury finds you not guilty of doing x, then you can't be retried for doing x by the same sovereign.

If a jury hangs, without finding you guilty or not guilty, then the sovereign can re-try you (good friggin' luck).

Here, as others have noted, there is no double jeopardy issue because Jolly never went to trial.

But some prosecutor is sure looking to make a name for himself.

Patler
12-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Double Jeopardy occurs during the second part of the show, when the values on the board are twice as much! It is followed by "Final Jeopardy" when the players are allowed to designate their own wager. :lol:

Freak Out
12-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Remember what State were talking about here guys.

MadScientist
12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
There's one change, the amount is now 200 milligrams, not 200 grams. How 200 milligrams is worth 20 years, I have no idea.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure why Ty thinks SC is factually inaccurate unless there's something about the basketball player story that SC got wrong.

If a jury finds you not guilty of doing x, then you can't be retried for doing x by the same sovereign.

If a jury hangs, without finding you guilty or not guilty, then the sovereign can re-try you (good friggin' luck).

Here, as others have noted, there is no double jeopardy issue because Jolly never went to trial.

Yes. Scott got it wrong.

Jayson Williams was put on trial with several different charges. They jury found him not guilty on some,but was deadlocked on reckless manslaughter (or something like that). Deadlocked means they never reached a conclusion....just a mistrial would result in the same situation.

Williams was/is going to be in court on that charge. So, it is far from double jeopardy.

Patler
12-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Yes. Scott got it wrong.

Jayson Williams was put on trial with several different charges. They jury found him not guilty on some,but was deadlocked on reckless manslaughter (or something like that). Deadlocked means they never reached a conclusion....just a mistrial would result in the same situation.

Williams was/is going to be in court on that charge. So, it is far from double jeopardy.

I still don't see what Scott had wrong. You explanation does not identify any error in what he stated, based on my understanding of what he stated. In fact, his statement and your "explanation" seem to be consistent based on the case. You seem to be picking a fight that isn't there.

Zool
12-16-2009, 12:17 PM

In the court ruling US vs. Fishbine, a man subjected to potential incineration while wearing another man's suit is entitled to $10,000 worth of airline tickets. It's an obscure ruling, but a very important one to me.

I'll have a glass of hot fat. Oh and bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.

mission
12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
200 milligrams = 0.00705479239 ounces

200 grams = 7.054 ounces

200 grams would be about a bottle and a half of lean. About $200 on the street.

200 mg's would be pennies of codeine. Nothing.

Somewhere this math is just not adding up. You usually put 1-2 fl oz in with your sprite and mix it up per (double) styrofoam cup.

200 grams sounds about right. Enough for a couple guys to have a fun night but definitely not an overly dangerous amount and not enough for anyone to assume he's out there "selling it".

Strange.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM

Yes. Scott got it wrong.

I still don't see what Scott had wrong. You explanation does not identify any error in what he stated, based on my understanding of what he stated. In fact, his statement and your "explanation" seem to be consistent based on the case. You seem to be picking a fight that isn't there.

Scott said he was found not guilty...and maybe it was his lack of clarification that confused me, but making a statement like that implies that no other verdicts were found or not found.

The way i read it was you can be found not guilty..and still be brought back to trial. That is factually incorrect unless you state that a charge against you wasn't found not guilty.

Patler
12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Scott said he was found not guilty...and maybe it was his lack of clarification that confused me, but making a statement like that implies that no other verdicts were found or not found.

The way i read it was you can be found not guilty..and still be brought back to trial. That is factually incorrect unless you state that a charge against you wasn't found not guilty.

Scott said that? Where? I think he said just the opposite
To review:

Double jeopardy?

pbmax
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
There's one change, the amount is now 200 milligrams, not 200 grams. How 200 milligrams is worth 20 years, I have no idea.
Its a distribution issue. Two straws, one cup.

pbmax
12-16-2009, 02:14 PM
You cannot be retried on the same charge. The "alleged" act is not covered by the protection of double jeopardy, only being subjected to the same criminal charge.

mission
12-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Its a distribution issue. Two straws, one cup.

:lol: :lol:

Fritz
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM

200 grams = 7.054 ounces

Somewhere this math is just not adding up. You usually put 1-2 fl oz in with your sprite and mix it up per (double) styrofoam cup.

200 grams sounds about right. Enough for a couple guys to have a fun night but definitely not an overly dangerous amount and not enough for anyone to assume he's out there "selling it".

Strange.

Man, you must have done a lot of research on the web to learn all this!

Tyrone Bigguns
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM

To review:

Double jeopardy?

Misread on my part.

Though, hardly trying to pick a fight.

Forget to take your metamucil?

mission
12-16-2009, 03:17 PM

200 grams = 7.054 ounces

Strange.

The first two lines I knew.

Everything after I had to look up :wink: :wink:

(or was it the other way around?)

Fritz
12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I find Packerrats to be an educational website.

Patler
12-16-2009, 03:22 PM

To review:

Double jeopardy?

Misread on my part.

Just trying to understand.

MadScientist
12-16-2009, 03:29 PM

200 grams = 7.054 ounces

Strange.

200 mg of codine is the amount in ~3.5 oz of syrup.
200 g would be enough for ~30 gallons of syrup (and would provide a strong case for intent to distribute)

pbmax
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM

200 grams = 7.054 ounces

Strange.

200 mg of codine is the amount in ~3.5 oz of syrup.
200 g would be enough for ~30 gallons of syrup (and would provide a strong case for intent to distribute)
That was my understanding of the misunderstanding about the amounts. In the original charging paperwork, the 200 grams mentioned seemed like an extreme amount of codeine to have for even four people. But it seemed a reasonable amount of "codeine cough syrup" to add to drinks.

Its seems as if the new charges are more clear and the 200 mg is the actual measure of codeine, minus its "syrup".

swede
12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Isn't this kind of case where a judge--in the middle of a day when he's heard pre-trial motions on murders, assaults, rapes, and drug busts involving tens of thousands of dollars worth of crack--calls the prosecutor forward and says, "ARE...YOU...KIDDING...ME!? A bottle of cough syrup? Plea this out or drop it!"

Fritz
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Swede, you clearly do not watch enough television.

The judge will listen, quietly and carefully, to each side. He will ask some intelligent, perceptive questions, pore over heavy legal texts, and while he's reading his young daughter a bed time story, he'll become distracted and have some amazing insight while his daughter is coughing and his wife is telling him to get the girl some cough medicine.

Television will tell you all you need to know, Swede.

Noodle
12-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Misread on my part.

This is what I love about Ty:

"Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but FU for pointing it out. Besides, I slept with your mother. And everything else you say is crap."

http://www.therealmartha.com/brightspots/Never_give_up.jpg

MadScientist
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Isn't this kind of case where a judge--in the middle of a day when he's heard pre-trial motions on murders, assaults, rapes, and drug busts involving tens of thousands of dollars worth of crack--calls the prosecutor forward and says, "ARE...YOU...KIDDING...ME!? A bottle of cough syrup? Plea this out or drop it!"
Should be. If this were anything other than a high profile athlete case, the plea would have been done long ago. The problem is that Jolly can't plea without getting a suspension, so he won't plea. The DA is forced to at least go some distance on the case so that it doesn't appear that the athlete gets special treatment.

MadScientist
12-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Should be. If this were anything other than a high profile athlete case, the plea would have been done long ago. The problem is that Jolly can't plea without getting a suspension, so he won't plea. The DA is forced to at least go some distance on the case so that it doesn't appear that the athlete gets special treatment.

Jolly doesn't think he'll have a problem because "I've got God on my side"http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2009/12/jolly-not-worried-about-drug-charges.html. Unfortunately all previouse attempts to get god to testify in court have failed, so Jolly may be out of luck on that front.

pbmax
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't know that it is that easy of an explanation. Houston has had quite a problem with this very substance and has been cracking down for quite sometime. I think it is high profile because of local interest more than NFL player interest.

Lurker64
12-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Might I ask if anybody knows who was driving? My understanding is that possession always attaches to the driver by presumption, but I might be wrong.

mraynrand
12-16-2009, 09:19 PM

Jolly needs to take his medicine.

mraynrand
12-16-2009, 09:27 PM

I'll have a glass of hot fat. Oh and bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.

You're not going to sing for us are you, Sammy?

Tyrone Bigguns
12-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Misread on my part.

"Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but FU for pointing it out. Besides, I slept with your mother. And everything else you say is crap."

No. I don't have a problem with patler pointing it out..just the accusation that i was trying to pick a fight.

And, considering patler's age, i'm not sure his mom could survive a night with Ty.

ThunderDan
12-17-2009, 08:39 AM

Jolly needs to take his medicine.

He was trying when the cops pulled him over!

Fritz
12-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Misread on my part.

No. I don't have a problem with patler pointing it out..just the accusation that i was trying to pick a fight.

And, considering patler's age, i'm not sure his mom could survive a night with Ty.

So your comments about metamucil and his mother are not attempts to pick a fight...?

pbmax
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Even with a plea, if it his first run in with the Law, he might get a pass and just a list of things to agree to avoid. What I don't remember is if being in the NFL drug program counts against you. I don't remember Jolly having previous issues along this line, but if he was in Stage 1, we wouldn't have had a press release.

Rastak
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM

To review:

Double jeopardy?

Misread on my part.

Don't mind Mr Class and Quality.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Misread on my part.

So your comments about metamucil and his mother are not attempts to pick a fight...?

No. Patler said i was trying to pick a fight. My comment about the metamucil was more along lines that he was acting feisty..maybe cause he wasn't regular.....in that his assesment was way off about picking a fight. Look when i wrote it..after i said i misread scott.

Mother: Noodle brought up the mother, not Ty. I merely tried being humorous. Ty thought about saying Ty couldnt' survive a night with patler's mom.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-18-2009, 01:56 AM

To review:

Double jeopardy?

Misread on my part.

Don't mind Mr Class and Quality.

And look who has to chime in. As if your post adds anything.

What is remarkable is that patler, quite capable of expressing himself, both here and in PM..said virtually nothing.

But, you feel the need to assist him. What a jagoff you are.