PDA

View Full Version : AR's Team vs. BF's Teams

Smidgeon
12-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Mostly because it seems like a slow debate week for Packers topics, I'm curious where any of you would rank this year's version of the team against those of the BF era. I know it's a ridiculous question (so forgive me that), but I'm curious. Is it better than most of the teams he QBed? Is it worse than most? Are the WRs, LBs, or any other position better or worse top to bottom? Is the best player worse but depth better? How many players away is the current crop from equaling the SB crop? How about from equaling the 4-12 team or the 8-8 team?

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Good question. I don't have an answer. It's not as good as the Super Bowl teams, but it's probably similar to most of the teams he was on. Offensive skill positions is probably better than most. OL is probably a bit worse than most. Defense is better than most, but special teams is worse.

mraynrand
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I think right now it's better than 8-5 (or worse) Favre-led teams and worse than 10-3 (or better) Favre-led teams.

Seriously, though, this team looks better than the 93 and 94 playoff teams, but not quite as good as the Superbowl teams. Probably pretty close to the 1995 team, with Favre playing a bit better than Rodgers and the defense this year playing better than that year. '95 special teams were a lot better than this squad too. This team is also better than '98, '01, and '04. Not as good as '02(before injuries) or '07 - yet. Very close to '03, maybe a bit better.

RashanGary
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Good question. I don't have an answer. It's not as good as the Super Bowl teams, but it's probably similar to most of the teams he was on. Offensive skill positions is probably better than most. OL is probably a bit worse than most. Defense is better than most, but special teams is worse.

2nd.

sheepshead
12-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I was thinking the same a while ago, we're almost getting into a different era (1997 vs. 2010) but still worth pondering.

RashanGary
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
If ST's finds a way to get it together, I think this can be the best team since 4th and 26.

Because the P seems to stink, the returns seem to stink and the coverage units seem to stink, I'm not so positive that it will come together.

If it does though, I think this team is a legit SB competitor. Moreso than 2007, but not of our ST's stink. In that case, I think this is a lesser team than 2007.

Overall though, Harvey hit it on the head pretty well. Very comparable team to what we're used to if the ST's stay bad. We've never had a complete team and don't as we speak either.

Pugger
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Well, at least we haven't seen block in the back and/or holding penalties on ST the last couple of games so that might be cleaned up somewhat...

get louder at lambeau
12-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I'd say this team is about as good as any the Packers have fielded in the last 10 years, including the QB position. The '07 team wasn't a whole lot different than this one, they were just luckier, with an easier schedule, close wins, and they didn't have to play such a strong Vikings team with an actual passing game. Very similar personnel with a little better record. I think if it was possible to play '07 Packers v '09 Packers, it would be one hell of a game.

Smidgeon
12-17-2009, 04:16 PM
I think if it was possible to play '07 Packers v '09 Packers, it would be one hell of a game.

That I can unequivocally agree with. I'd also like to see the '09 team play the '03 team. That would be an awesome game. The '03 running game against the '09 running defense?

RashanGary
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I think if it was possible to play '07 Packers v '09 Packers, it would be one hell of a game.

That I can unequivocally agree with. I'd also like to see the '09 team play the '03 team. That would be an awesome game. The '03 running game against the '09 running defense?

03, 07, 09 In that order right now but 09 could jump ahead of both IF (and this is very possible) they get good ST play.

Special teams is about 20 plays per game. It's hard to luck out 60 times (20 per game in each playoff game before the SB), but maybe they can get some consistency going and have a little luck on top of it.

Offense/Defense only, I think the Colts are the #1 team followed closely by the Packers and Saints. Throw ST's in it and we move way down the list. Like I said above, a little luck and some more consistent play in ST's and this team could shock teams in the playoffs. I think they're more talented than any of the teams in the past, they're just young, dumb and maybe not well coached on ST's.

MOBB DEEP
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Whats the dif in their succes against steelers?

mraynrand
12-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Whats the dif in their succes against steelers?

Rodgers played much better than Favre, had almost no run support, and played with the worst pass defense that Ben Roethlisberger has ever played against.