PDA

View Full Version : ST in the playoffs Question

bobblehead
12-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Ok, this JUST occurred to me as I read JH's post in another thread where he says the ST would have to improve to make us an SB contender.

At times teams suddenly start using a Deion or that fast white corner from NY a few years ago as returners once the playoffs roll around.

Given that our ST stink on ice, what do you rats think is the chance that MM starts replacing some ST guys with guys who are starting on O or D come playoff time? I mean its the playoffs, you gotta pull out all the stops.

Wood returning punts, Barnett covering on Kick offs, ect. Could MM bring himself to do that and open himself to criticism if someone gets hurt??

mngolf19
12-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Considering other teams do it all the time, I'd ask why haven't the Pack yet?

K-town
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Fast white corner = Jason Sehorn.
Does Trevor Ford have any punt returning experience?
James Jones? I think the Jordy Nelson/Tramon Williams experiments are over.
Thank God.

Maxie the Taxi
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
My tendency is to stay with the guys "who brung me here."

I sure wouldn't put Trevor Ford or some untested guy back there. A fumble or mishandled ball could hurt more than any return potential.

I'd put Tramon back there before Woodson.

I like Jordy back there. He's not a world burner, but he's experienced, has good hands and judgment.

[As an aside, that's what I REALLY liked about Desmond Howard...The guy rarely if ever fumbled and had excellent judgment. His return ability was a bonus.]

pbmax
12-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Jordy is OK as a kick returner, but he's going nowhere slow with punts.

get louder at lambeau
12-17-2009, 02:43 PM
If they were going to go with Deion Sanders route, and put their most dangerous guy back there, wouldn't they be best off with Jennings, or maybe Driver? We can afford to lose a receiver more than another CB anyway.

Maxie the Taxi
12-17-2009, 03:37 PM
If they were going to go with Deion Sanders route, and put their most dangerous guy back there, wouldn't they be best off with Jennings, or maybe Driver? We can afford to lose a receiver more than another CB anyway.

Jennings is without a doubt the Packers' most dangerous punt returner.

He returned punts in college and if you look at some of the film of it, he's just amazing. It's one of the reasons I liked him as a draft choice.

I could see him returning punts for us if we get deep into the playoffs.

He's awful valuable as a receiver though.