PDA

View Full Version : Revis Playing Better Than Woodson?

Smidgeon
12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Maybe it's just homerism preference for his own player, but (courtesy of PFT) Rex Ryan thinks Revis is playing better than Woodson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/high-praise-for-revis-from-ryan/)as a corner. His specific quote was, "Charles can't go out on a corner like this guy can." He also goes on to say, "Revis would be a great blitzer, but I've got the best cover guy in America sitting over here, so he's going to be covering."

To me, it's obvious this is homerism and sticking up for your own guy. Here's the telltale reason: you can't use unproven, "would-be" scenarios to bolster how good your players is. If Revis hasn't been blitzing, it means jack about how good he is since it hasn't been proved he can be successful at it. All this statement from Ryan proves is that Ryan thinks Revis would be a good blitzer. So he's starting to fill up Revis's DPOY resume with wishes and hopes. Secondly, if Revis is such a great corner, why don't they leave him out on an island against top receivers (i.e. Woodson and Calvin Johnson) instead of shading a safety over him for most of the game (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/breaking-down-the-revis-moss-film-from-week-two/)?

Your take? Is Revis a better corner than Woodson or not?

gbgary
12-18-2009, 09:55 AM
http://www.members.tripod.com/~foodgodbb/bvthnk2.jpg

didn't know he was a candidate.

Pugger
12-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Who's Revis? :?:

sheepshead
12-18-2009, 10:07 AM
How many Jet games do PackerRats watch?

Maxie the Taxi
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM
I'll get back to you with an answer in late January. :)

bobblehead
12-18-2009, 10:11 AM
I've seen two games, he is awesome....Al is just as good, Woodson is more diverse, and plays the run great as well.

Lurker64
12-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Revis is the better cover corner, but Woodson is the better defensive asset and football player.

Bossman641
12-18-2009, 04:20 PM
I've only seen a little bit of the Jets this year, but I find it hard to believe anyone is playing better football than Woodson.

Smidgeon
12-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Follow the links in the first post. Or this one: Darrelle Revis (http://www.nfl.com/players/darrellerevis/profile?id=REV515344)

packers11
12-18-2009, 06:52 PM
Rex Ryan should concentrate on getting his shitty team to the playoffs and not trying to get players individual awards.

Also... How would he know how woodson is doing? A ) He hasn't played against woodson this year therefore he wouldn't need to watch film B) Most Jets games are on during packers games

By the way Rex saying earlier that Revis is the most impact-full player on D hes coached on D... Are you kidding me? How do you have the most impact-full player ever and are barley in playoff contention. How bout players like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Mccalister (in his prime)? :roll:

Packers4Ever
12-18-2009, 08:54 PM

You beat me, Pugger, I was just ready to ask

who the heck is Revis ??

Brandon494
12-18-2009, 10:33 PM

You beat me, Pugger, I was just ready to ask

who the heck is Revis ??

Seriously? Only the best CB in the league.

I think people are being alittle bias saying Woodson is the better CB because he is a Packer and they have seen him a lot more than Revis.

Revis has shut down Andre Johnosn, Randy Moss twice, TO twice, Steve Smith, and Colston.

The best WR Woodson has covered this season is Chad Ocho in week 2 and it might have been Al Harris.

Now on the other hand while Revis is the better cover CB, Woodson is a far better tackler and blitzer which is a better fit for our defense. I voted that Woodson should be DPOY but still think Revis is the better CB. Kinda like Drew Brees will win MVP but Manning is the better QB.

bobblehead
12-18-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm telling you, I've watched some Jets games this year. I focused on Revis because I recall hearing TT was set to take him when the jets traded up and grabbed him (and I percieved CB as a need at the time).

Revis is a very good cover guy. Problem is that NOBODY is dominant anymore with the rules the way they are. Al Harris gave Andre Johnson more problems last season after the spleen injury than Revis did this year.

I won't get into who is better than who, but if you made me choose Al, Chuck or Revis, I would say its a big toss up with youth being the only reason to take Revis.

Bretsky
12-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Not taking anything away frmo Woodson; but six people voted this right.

Revis is great; reminds me of Darryl Green. Coach just puts him on an island and he shuts out the #1 WR week after week. Al Harris use to be used like that; Revis is just better.

Woodson deserves DPOY, but Revis is the better CB.

Charles Woodson
12-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Revis is great; reminds me of Darryl Green. Coach just puts him on an island and he shuts out the #1 WR week after week. Al Harris use to be used like that; Revis is just better.

I would say that Revis may be better at coverage, but Woodson is still the better overall corner. Woodson plays the run like a boss

packers11
12-19-2009, 10:07 AM

I would say that Revis may be better at coverage, but Woodson is still the better overall corner. Woodson plays the run like a boss

+1

Some of the tackles i've seen woodson make in the open field is more impressive then some of his INT's

Pugger
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
I really don't know this guy! I haven't seen any Jet games this year and I don't recall hearing his name much on those post game shows on TV so I truly don't know if Revis is better or not. If you just go by stats Woodson has about a dozen more tackles, 2.5 more sacks and 2 more INTs so far this season. (I don't know what FF means on the nfl.com website's player stat pages.) With this in mind I voted for Woody. :)

Brandon494
12-19-2009, 12:41 PM
FF means forced fumbles and Revis is the best CB in the game over Woodson.

LP
12-19-2009, 03:37 PM

He's that guy from TV. "Who Want's To Be A Millionaire." Revis and Kathy Lee".

You know.
That guy. :D

Pugger
12-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Hmm, according to that nfl.com website Mr. Revis has zero FF and Woodson has 4 so far this season...

Smidgeon
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM

Hmm, according to that nfl.com website Mr. Revis has zero FF and Woodson has 4 so far this season...

I do believe that Brandon494 is saying that a corner's entire responsibility is just covering a receiver and downgrades anything additional such as FF, INTs, and tackling and game impact while ignoring things like how often a corner has help on the receivers he supposedly shut down all by himself.

DannoMac21
12-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Revis is a much better cover corner than Chuck.

Chuck's an assassin though. Gets in the opposing QB's head and has the potential to single-handedly turn around a ball game. Revis does not have that.

I'm beyond content with Woodson. But if I'm starting a team from scratch, I don't want to get burned by the Moss' and Calvin Johnson's of the league. I'd take Revis.

The Leaper
12-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I would agree that Revis is better as a pure cover corner, but Woodson is far better in nearly all other aspects of the game; run support, blitzing, tackling.

Plus, Woodson has far more experience...which leads to greater ability in mentoring younger DBs.

Long term, I'd obviously love to have Revis...but for the short term, Woodson is a great fit for our playmaking defense.

retailguy
12-19-2009, 08:26 PM

This isn't even a debate. Revis is far better. Honestly, Nmandi is probably better than Woodson too, but Woodson is the Packers MVP, and probably more valuable to the team and wins right now than both of them.

Brandon494
12-19-2009, 09:40 PM

This isn't even a debate. Revis is far better. Honestly, Nmandi is probably better than Woodson too, but Woodson is the Packers MVP, and probably more valuable to the team and wins right now than both of them.

Exactly, some people need to take off the green and gold glasses or just don't watch other teams too often. Almost like saying DD is a better WR than Calvin Johnson just because he has better stats. I have already gave a list of the WRs Revis has covered this season and they all had a combined one touchdown this season against Revis.

Its not taking anything away from Woodson, he is def the defensive MVP this season. He is just not the best CB in the league, but top 5 for sure.

Bretsky
12-20-2009, 10:37 AM

Exactly, some people need to take off the green and gold glasses or just don't watch other teams too often. Almost like saying DD is a better WR than Calvin Johnson just because he has better stats. I have already gave a list of the WRs Revis has covered this season and they all had a combined one touchdown this season against Revis.

Its not taking anything away from Woodson, he is def the defensive MVP this season. He is just not the best CB in the league, but top 5 for sure.

:bclap:

pbmax
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM

But I think the problem with all these analyses also affects yours (Brandon, not Bretsky). Especially in the case with Moss. Revis gets help over the top with the better receivers. All the film breakdown guys admitted this, even if Revis and his coach did not want to. Does Woodson get the same level of support?

And what about Woodson being asked to cover the best TEs the team has faced? Slightly different challenge there.

You may very well be right, but there is no single apples-apples comparison.

Brandon494
12-20-2009, 11:20 AM

But I think the problem with all these analyses also affects yours (Brandon, not Bretsky). Especially in the case with Moss. Revis gets help over the top with the better receivers. All the film breakdown guys admitted this, even if Revis and his coach did not want to. Does Woodson get the same level of support?

And what about Woodson being asked to cover the best TEs the team has faced? Slightly different challenge there.

Watch a couple of jets games or some tape of Revis. He rarely gets any help. Also I think covering Witten is a little easier than covering Andre Johnson, Moss, and etc.

You can think what you want because Woodson is a Packer but he is not the best CB in the league, Revis holds that spot.

Bretsky
12-20-2009, 11:41 AM

I dont' completely agree with that at all.

I watched both Jet Patriot games; he had over the top help at times but most of the time did not. He had way more over the top help against Moss than the other top WR's. I've watched 4-5 Jets games and parts of nearly all of them via Drect TV. After watching the first one vs. the Pats I didn't start Randy Moss on one of my fantasy teams when they played them the second time. Revis is that good. Woodson is allowed the opportunity to create a lot more plays in our defense. Revis is put out on an island and shuts his guys down week after week after week. I agree they are two different types of players; part of that perception is how they are used. Revis too is a good tackler. I think the Darrell Green comparison is still steallar. Revis is the better CB; Woodsen is more deserving of DPOY.

Brandon494
12-20-2009, 12:49 PM
If you have a chance watch the Jets/Falcons game right now, Revis is all over the place covering Roddy White by myself.

Maxie the Taxi
12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
If you have a chance watch the Jets/Falcons game right now, Revis is all over the place covering Roddy White by myself.

I've got it on. You're right. The guy is like a blanket. In fact, the Jets look good all around. Sanchez is a talent. What an arm!

Bretsky
12-20-2009, 01:41 PM

I've got it on. You're right. The guy is like a blanket. In fact, the Jets look good all around. Sanchez is a talent. What an arm!

they went right after Revis deep one of the first plays. Roddy White went deep and had to pull Revis down to stop the INT...........so obvious offensive PA was called

packers11
12-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Revis missed chance to end game with INT, Falcons score next play... ATL up 3

Brandon494
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Revis missed chance to end game with INT, Falcons score next play... ATL up 3

haha I guess that means Woodson is the better CB then. :roll:

Jets should have won this game easily, were in the redzone 5 times and only scored once. Can't win games that way.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Watch a couple of jets games or some tape of Revis. He rarely gets any help. Also I think covering Witten is a little easier than covering Andre Johnson, Moss, and etc.

You can think what you want because Woodson is a Packer but he is not the best CB in the league, Revis holds that spot.
The numbers versus Moss' first game according to a scout and his defensive coordinator:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/jets-defensive-coordinator-confirms-that-revis-had-help-against-moss/

That said, since the article makes the point that few people are ever truly in Cover 0 man to man, I concede the point. It would appear from that article that Revis had typical safety help, mixed coverages and there was true double-coverage 7 out of 77 snaps. Sound defense and a good job by Revis.

Guiness
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Haven't seen a lot of Revis, but one thing I wonder about is how 'complete' his game is, i.e. is he a pure cover corner, or does he help out in other aspects of the game. Deon was a great cover corner, but running at him was pretty effective.

The fact that Woodson is in the game on 1st and goal speaks volumes. One of the most spectacular plays I've seen from his this year was the shoestring goaline tackle against Baltimore (McGahee or Rice?) and another against the Bears after the RB had gotten the corner.

Bretsky
12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Revis is no softie like D Sanders; he's a good tackler. Great all around game. TTT really liked him and many rumors had it TTT was licking his chops/ready to take him but the Jets nabbed him in front of us and we ended up with Justine

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I haven't watched a lot of Jets games, but Chuck has played as well this year as any corner I've seen in my 30 years of watching the Packers. It's hard for me to imagine any corner (other than Deion) being clearly better than Chuck has been this year. It may be true, but I doubt any of us could make that judgment by what we see on TV. Before this year, I thought Tim Lewis was the best corner I had seen on the Packers. Al had a couple of great years, so did Craig Newsome--but Chuck has played at a different level. Great all around player and a playmaker to boot.

gbgary
12-30-2009, 07:08 PM
correct me if i'm wrong but i believe i heard a stat that said chuck has the most ints in the last three or four years.

ICU81MI
12-31-2009, 06:36 AM
I haven't watched a lot of Jets games, but Chuck has played as well this year as any corner I've seen in my 30 years of watching the Packers. It's hard for me to imagine any corner (other than Deion) being clearly better than Chuck has been this year. It may be true, but I doubt any of us could make that judgment by what we see on TV. Before this year, I thought Tim Lewis was the best corner I had seen on the Packers. Al had a couple of great years, so did Craig Newsome--but Chuck has played at a different level. Great all around player and a playmaker to boot.

I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak on such a topic, but I find it very hard to believe that this many people can have such strong opinions on a guy who is rarely televised here and where one would have to fly across the country to see him play from up high.

This post is right on the money. Chuck is unbelievable. He was carrying the team for a few works when we were 4-4.

Gunakor
12-31-2009, 06:52 AM

I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak on such a topic, but I find it very hard to believe that this many people can have such strong opinions on a guy who is rarely televised here and where one would have to fly across the country to see him play from up high.

This post is right on the money. Chuck is unbelievable. He was carrying the team for a few works when we were 4-4.

Many of our members aren't "here". Several are from the twin cities, several more from the Atlanta area, etc. While Revis is rarely televised here in our market, I'm fairly certain there are many Rats who have seen him play much more often than others.

As far as the comparison goes, I agree with those who have posted that Revis is the better cover CB but Woodson is the better overall football player. Revis may have as many or more INT's over the next 3-4 seasons as Woodson has had in the past 3-4 seasons, but I'm pretty sure that the number of sacks and forced fumbles and other game changing plays outside of INT's won't come close to the number Woodson has put up this season alone. Not in the Jets system anyway. 4 FF's, 1 FR, 2 sacks, rediculous # of tackles for a DB... Chuck is all over the field making plays from multiple positions, Revis can cover his guy like a blanket from the CB spot only. I'll take Woodson over Revis anyday. He's the better football player.

Bretsky
12-31-2009, 09:44 AM

first off welcome to the forum

Many of us in here have the NFL Package; many watched nearly every Jets game last year and several this year

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2009, 10:19 AM
first off welcome to the forum

Many of us in here have the NFL Package; many watched nearly every Jets game last year and several this year

He still has a point about not being able to see every play. I'm sure the broadcast didn't show Revis or Woodson on every play. Like I said, Revis might be better--but it's hard for me to imagine a corner being more valuable than Woodson has been this year. I guess I just take issue with those that say Revis is better--like it's fact.

b bulldog
12-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Woody's play has dropped a bit in the last few games. Revis is better, no doubt, but Chuck has more intangibles.

MadtownPacker
12-31-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak on such a topic, but I find it very hard to believe that this many people can have such strong opinions on a guy who is rarely televised here and where one would have to fly across the country to see him play from up high.If youre so new why did you send me this PM?

To: MadtownPacker
Posted: 30 Dec 2009 12:36 am
Subject: u suck balls
mad_packer@sbcglobal.net

Am I suppose to be concerned that you have an email that was available to anyone who would visit the original PR homepage? Haha, what a fucking moron. Which one of the idiots are you? Paco? Partial? Nutty? Please say youre Tank, I really miss him.

SkinBasket
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm new here so I'm not sure I'm qualified to speak on such a topic, but I find it very hard to believe that this many people can have such strong opinions on a guy who is rarely televised here and where one would have to fly across the country to see him play from up high.If youre so new why did you send me this PM?

mad_packer@sbcglobal.net

Am I suppose to be concerned that you have an email that was available to anyone who would visit the original PR homepage? Haha, what a fucking moron. Which one of the idiots are you? Paco? Partial? Nutty? Please say youre Tank, I really miss him.

:lol: @ such a wonderfully concise and yet impotent PM.

Seriously though, this belongs in the romper room since no Packer, or ex-Packer, balls are involved.

Zool
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe it was supposed to be "u suck balls?"

KYPack
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM

mad_packer@sbcglobal.net

Guy seems to know ya, MTP.

Tank posted on SB that he's been on here all the time.

I told him to, well, ya know.

Happy New Year, Mad

MadtownPacker
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Happy New Year, MadThat guy? Nah, he's my bitch.

Tank is a friend. Only reason he got ran out of here was cuz he wasn't a conformist kinda Whitey. Broke my heart to whack him like Fredo with Michael Corleone. :lol:

Happy Ano Nuevo to you man. How you been?

BTW - skin, youz still a trick. Dont ever stop cuz your the best.

KYPack
12-31-2009, 04:54 PM

Happy New Year, MadThat guy? Nah, he's my bitch.

Tank is a friend. Only reason he got ran out of here was cuz he wasn't a conformist kinda Whitey. Broke my heart to whack him like Fredo with Michael Corleone. :lol:

Happy Ano Nuevo to you man. How you been?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, eh?

I'm well.

A most Feliz Ano Nuevo to you and yours.

Fresno still gave UC their toughest game. Where are they bowlin'?

Fritz
12-31-2009, 06:37 PM
So if Packer balls are being hoovered, then it belongs on the Packer thread, right?

Who has bigger schnutz, then? Woodson or Revis?

SkinBasket
12-31-2009, 06:41 PM

You don't know how much that means to me. Now I can enter the new year filled with hope and purpose.