PDA

View Full Version : Roman already picked up.... by the superbowl bound team...

packers11
07-29-2006, 12:10 AM
49ers..... nuff said :lol:

Partial
07-29-2006, 12:13 AM
:lol: I read that thinking damn, the colts/jags picked him up

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 12:20 AM
That's good!

ahaha
07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Can you imagine him trying to cover Vernon Davis in practice? Roman couldn't keep up with slow fullbacks in the flat.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Roman ain't a bad player, he'll make a roster, may start. Roman is as good a saftey as the Packers have had the last 5 years, with the exception of Nick Collins. Not saying much, I know.

He really struggled in 2004, partly due to injury, but bounced back nicely in 2005.

oregonpackfan
07-29-2006, 12:58 PM
I don't agree with his being a good player. He was substandard at best.

I wish him well for his career on the bench with the Forty-Whiners.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 01:01 PM
He was a good tackler. I really don't know about his coverage, but I don't have a lot of memories of him screwing up. It will be interesting to see if gets a starting job. Hey, Marques Anderson was a starter when he left GB! Same sorta player.

ahaha
07-29-2006, 01:26 PM
He was a good tackler only if the runner was forced to run straight at him. He was AWFUL in coverage.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 01:28 PM
I see, so Roman was good at falling down, and runners would trip over him sometimes. Guess that's somethin.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I never knew Roman had a GB fan club and its president was Harlan Huckleby.

What will happen to the fan club now that he's been cut, HH?

ahaha
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
He just doesn't have the speed or quickness needed to make tackles in the open. Sometimes that can be compensated for by being in the right position and taking good angles. But Roman, too often, seemed lost.
He was a hard hitter though.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
oh, I was not particularly fond of Roman, just wanted to see a fair competition between him & Manuel. I somewhat resent people being cock-sure that Manuel was an upgrade. Whenever free agents are brought in, the fans want to believe. People were really talking up Little & Freeman last spring.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Well, I think TT did the guy a favour, and I think the move puts a helluva lot of pressure on the rookies and sophomores to step up.

As soon as Manuel was signed and Roman opened his mouth, Roman lost. Heck he may have even won the starting job, but let's face it. He didn't really have the balls to try.

I look at Carroll and am in disbelief at how professionally the young brash 1st rounder has taken his relegation. roman could learn from Carroll.

Even typing that makes me cringe, but it's the truth...

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Roman ain't a bad player, he'll make a roster, may start. Roman is as good a saftey as the Packers have had the last 5 years, with the exception of Nick Collins. Not saying much, I know.

He really struggled in 2004, partly due to injury, but bounced back nicely in 2005.

Here's the Release on that signing HH:

Jul 30, 2006 2:40 pm US/Central

Niners Sign Former Packers Safety Mark Roman
(AP) SANTA CLARA, Calif. Safety Mark Roman signed with the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday, three days after he was cut by the Green Bay Packers.

Roman, a seven-year veteran who also played for Cincinnati, appeared in every game over the last two seasons with Green Bay.

He had 90 tackles and two interceptions last season, but was released one day before the Packers opened training camp. Roman apparently was unhappy when the Packers signed free-agent safety Marquand Manuel in the offseason.

To make room, the 49ers released safety Ben Emanuel, who played sparingly last season.

In San Francisco, Roman will compete with newcomer Chad Williams, Keith Lewis and Mike Adams in a wide-open race to become the 49ers' starting free safety. Roman also could see time in Tony Parrish's spot at strong safety.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Patler has made the point that the Packers made a significant investment in Manuel, so expected a lot out of him.

Isn't this a signal to Roman that he wasn't gonna start? Is it possible that Thompson got rid of Roman because he didn't WANT a competition with Manuel, he was determined to get value out of his investment?

Perhaps Roman had some cause to be disgruntled. I wanted to see Manuel prove that he was better on the field. But things probably worked out the best for Roman, and perhaps for the Packers too.

Creepy
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
Roman had two years to porve in GB that he should be the starter. he didn't do it. he didn'tlay well and because he played better than Jue, Anderson, Freeman, Little, and forgot name (ex-#1 draft choice), is not saying a hell of a lot.

He played with Sharper and Collins, and his best year was with Collins who could at least hold his end of the safety job. Whether Manual is a good safety or not will remain to be seen, but he has more upside than Roman did.

K-town
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
and forgot name (ex-#1 draft choice

Antuan Edwards?

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
"Isn't this a signal to Roman that he wasn't gonna start? Is it possible that Thompson got rid of Roman because he didn't WANT a competition with Manuel, he was determined to get value out of his investment?" HH

No ! No No !

Couldn't possibly be that, LOL.

or could it ?!!

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Mark Roman: Hello HC McCarthy. Question for you.
Will I get a real chance , to start this season - especially given that Marquand is injured now , and will be so at the start of TC?

MM: Well Mark we are throwing it all out there in TC and all 53-man roster spots are wide open.

Mark Roman: Then I'll have a real shot - starting at safety?

MM: Well what was your impression of that staus regarding you when Ted brought in Manuel?

Roman: It appeared to me that my job here last year was in jeopardy and that upset me .That was my initial gut reaction.

MM: We'll you know this as well as I do,always go with your guts.

Roman: What kind of an answer is that so close to TC? Besides the fore mentioned. Hasn't my attitude been solid after I showed my initial reaction to T2 signing Manuel? It looked bad for me then. Since I've given 100%

MM: You had better scoot over to ask Ted that.

Roman: Yes it's time I scoot over to see Ted allright, and tell him to cut me so I can find a job as a safety, starting for a team that appreciates my progress in 2005 over 2004 and will give me a real chance. I'm not old by any means and can still start somewhere in this league.

MM: Good luck to you Mark.

Roman: Thanks Mike

Press release soon after:

Packers cut Mark Roman.

red
07-31-2006, 04:53 PM
i thought for sure the texans were going to pick him up

they must have lost out in the bidding war

ahaha
07-31-2006, 05:01 PM
i thought for sure the texans were going to pick him up

they must have lost out in the bidding war

I think the Vikings were also big players in the Mark Roman sweepstakes.