PDA

View Full Version : Another JSO Non-Story Story

Fritz
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/79587142.html

If you grant that professional football players at skill positions have confidence in themselves and that they'd like a lot of touches, then there is no story here at all.

If you read the article, Silverstein essentially manufactures a controversy that doesn't exist. Everybody acknowledges they'd like the ball, and everyone acknowledges that they think they can get the job done. Silverstein's so desperate that at one point he makes up a response McCarthy might give if his receivers demanded the ball more.

I know they have to fill space, but how about a breakdown of exactly how special teams coverage works and what happens when it breaks down, or an article about ways coordinators of successful red-zone offenses tend to attack?

This...this is just garbage.

SkinBasket
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Your thoughts are the same as mine. Essentially they built the story off Donald Driver being silent since the game. The only possible conclusion, according to Tom Silverstein, is that he is upset that Finley has seen more targets since coming back from his injury.

It was funny to read James Jones talking about the talent in the 3 WR sets like he was on equal footing with the other two, though.

pbmax
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
The TE centric formation looked great in the first half. Not so much in the second. The story has half a case.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought the same thing when I read it. Same with Silverstein's column about Nick Collins after Brandon Chillar signed his new deal.

pbmax
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I thought the same thing when I read it. Same with Silverstein's column about Nick Collins after Brandon Chillar signed his new deal.
Except that the hook for the Finley story is Driver's silence. You must infer something from that to make the story. In Collin's case, you at least have an affirmative comment from his agent about unhappiness over his contract. Six months ago.

pbmax
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
The JSO column comments sure are a fun read. :bang:

MJZiggy
12-18-2009, 09:42 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/79587142.html

If you grant that professional football players at skill positions have confidence in themselves and that they'd like a lot of touches, then there is no story here at all.

If you read the article, Silverstein essentially manufactures a controversy that doesn't exist. Everybody acknowledges they'd like the ball, and everyone acknowledges that they think they can get the job done. Silverstein's so desperate that at one point he makes up a response McCarthy might give if his receivers demanded the ball more.

I know they have to fill space, but how about a breakdown of exactly how special teams coverage works and what happens when it breaks down, or an article about ways coordinators of successful red-zone offenses tend to attack?

PR used to do stories like that. If we can come up with stuff like that, you'd think "professionals" would spit out quality without thinking about it.

Cleft Crusty
12-19-2009, 10:08 AM
PR used to do stories like that. If we can come up with stuff like that, you'd think "professionals" would spit out quality without thinking about it.

Cleft Crusty's columns were always top notch. The Urinal Scented has really tanked in the past several years....

MJZiggy
12-19-2009, 10:14 AM

Cleft Crusty's columns were always top notch. The Urinal Scented has really tanked in the past several years....

Agreed. Ziggy's post-game summaries kicked ass as well and Winners and Losers always showed Nutz's genius (and started some fantastic discussions)

retailguy
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I miss Nutz.

ThunderDan
12-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Agreed. Ziggy's post-game summaries kicked ass as well and Winners and Losers always showed Nutz's genius (and started some fantastic discussions)

AAhhhmmm.... I did the Studs and Duds column last year and no one ever mentions that! :cry: :cry:

retailguy
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM

AAhhhmmm.... I did the Studs and Duds column last year and no one ever mentions that! :cry: :cry:

Who are you? :twisted:

Freak Out
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I miss Nutz.

For Christmas Skinbasket has promised to remove the strait jacket and gag-ball.

Maxie the Taxi
12-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Crusty's post-game chats were stupor...I mean super! :)

retailguy
12-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I miss Nutz.

For Christmas Skinbasket has promised to remove the strait jacket and gag-ball.

In a strange way, that's frightening.

Scott Campbell
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Thank you Dan. I read them all.

retailguy
12-19-2009, 11:13 AM

Thank you Dan. I read them all.

Who the hell hacked your account? What have you done with Scott! :evil:

Scott Campbell
12-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Who the hell hacked your account? What have you done with Scott! :evil:

I thought I had a history of being thankful for those here who provide content - be it pictures or articles. I guess I need to work on that.

Guiness
12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, that article was enlightening in one respect - I didn't realize to what extent Jody had become the #4 WR. At the beginning of the season, it really looked like we had a 1a and 1b receiver in Driver and Jenning, and a #3 and #4 that were very close together.

Now it seems like the #3 and #4 WR's have flipped. Is that because Nelson is on KR duty, and it cuts into his WR time? I was a little surprised to see that Jones has been targeted 3x as much as him these past few games.

RashanGary
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, that article was enlightening in one respect - I didn't realize to what extent Jody had become the #4 WR. At the beginning of the season, it really looked like we had a 1a and 1b receiver in Driver and Jenning, and a #3 and #4 that were very close together.

Now it seems like the #3 and #4 WR's have flipped. Is that because Nelson is on KR duty, and it cuts into his WR time? I was a little surprised to see that Jones has been targeted 3x as much as him these past few games.

Nelson had the knee injury a few weeks ago, and since then Jones seems to have moved into, and held, the #3 spot.

Either of those guys are capable of 60 catches a year and 1,000 yards but with Driver, Jennings and Finley on pace to get about 3,000 yards, it just leaves about 1,250 to be split up between Nelson, Jones, Donald Lee and the running backs. I don't really think it's their fault, just not enough footballs to go around. And the way they are running teh ball, it would be a sin not to keep running it. That's just the way it's going this season, a good problem to have, but not a good reflection of the talent of our #3 and #4 receivers.

RashanGary
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
If we could get a star OL with a comparable contract, I'd honestly trade Jennings. We have more talent at WR than we do OL and Jennings is obviously our hottest piece. It would have to be a really good LT though, and age 26 or younger. I think a move like that would balance out our offense now and for the next few years. There probably isn't a team in the league with a good enough LT that they'd be willing to trade though.

Lurker64
12-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Either of those guys are capable of 60 catches a year and 1,000 yards but with Driver, Jennings and Finley on pace to get about 3,000 yards, it just leaves about 1,250 to be split up between Nelson, Jones, Donald Lee and the running backs.

So the solution is, of course, to have Aaron Rodgers throw for 8,000 yards so that everybody can have enough. Someone should tell Aaron.

MJZiggy
12-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Either of those guys are capable of 60 catches a year and 1,000 yards but with Driver, Jennings and Finley on pace to get about 3,000 yards, it just leaves about 1,250 to be split up between Nelson, Jones, Donald Lee and the running backs.

So the solution is, of course, to have Aaron Rodgers throw for 8,000 yards so that everybody can have enough. Someone should tell Aaron.

If he did that, folks would be mad because we abandoned the run game... 8-)