PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Edgar Bennett

Patler
12-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Very good article about the coach:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/79688882.html

As many of you know, I have been very critical of MM's choices for assistant coaches from the time he was putting together his first staff. At the same time, I have consistently said that one of the best coaches on the staff is Edgar Bennett. Every runner that comes through Green Bay seems to improve, some quite dramatically. Jackson went from being an incompetent blocker as a rookie to being a very reliable third down back. Wynn seemed to learn professionalism to go with basic talent. Korey Hall learned to be a full back after having been a linebacker in college.

Bennett first jumped out as an effective coach during the revolving door year for running backs in 2005. It seemed like every week there was a new one having to play due to injuries, and Bennett would meet them at the airport with playbook in hand. One of the new backs commented that year about how Bennett simplified and explained, and never left their sides while getting them ready to contribute within days.

Too bad the same can't be said for O-lineman. What O-lineman has come in here and improved their play in the way Jackson has? or Wynn? or Grant? or Hall? Except for moderate improvements, the O-linemen seem to be the same players 2, 3 and 4 years later that they were as rookies. There have been many, many young linemen brought in, and I have not seen any one of them really develop, change, improve. They simply are what they were. The Packers need an O-line coach who is as effective with the linemen as Bennett is with the running backs.

Fritz
12-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I agree with your perspective - you make a good point about looking for improvement from players in a position group. Colledge is a prime example of someone who has not gained the consistency needed from an NFL lineman. And two years of coaching has not helped Giacomini get onto the field at all. Wait, maybe he had one snap on the line and a few on special teams. And Barbre....sigh.

Patler
12-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I agree with your perspective - you make a good point about looking for improvement from players in a position group. Colledge is a prime example of someone who has not gained the consistency needed from an NFL lineman. And two years of coaching has not helped Giacomini get onto the field at all. Wait, maybe he had one snap on the line and a few on special teams. And Barbre....sigh.

…and the list goes on:

Tony Moll – same player when he was released as he was when he was drafted.
Junius Coston – never changed a bit.

Spitz and Sitton probably came in the most ready to play, but has either really improved? Probably too early to say with Sitton, but Spitz seemed to stay at about the level he came in at.

Meredith looked bad in GB, and the staff commented on him not being ready to contribute. It was reported that they didn’t even consider signing him from the PS when the line was really hurting with injuries the week Buffalo claimed him. He goes to Buffalo, gets thrown in because of injuries and didn’t seem to embarrass himself. I read one article after he started a couple games, and he made comments about his new coaches like I mentioned above others have said about Bennett. Meredith said his new staff broke it down and made it understandable, and Meredith is not a dumb guy.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I think Patler has a very good point, one that I initially resisted due to the success of Gruden under Holmgren. But it may be true in the case of Campen and Philbin.

On the plus side, McCarthy did act when it became clear the defense wasn't going to meet his expectations. On the downside, he retained Moss and Whitt. Hawk might be a player that falls into the same category as the O lineman mentioned, though he is playing much better of late. Barnett was a good pro before Moss arrived. Whitt can claim some of Tramon's success, but there isn't much else there.

Maxie the Taxi
12-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Excellent article. Bennett seems very old school to me. Reminds me of how Lombardi kept repeating and repeating, concentrating on the basics.

A lot of coaches talk fundamentals, but Bennett actually practices what he preaches.

As I said in another thread, it's too easy for coaches to overthink this game nowadays and get sidetracked away from what really matters.

Football is still about blocking and tackling.

Fritz
12-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm wondering if MM is seeing this the same way and if in the offseason he'll make a change.

BallHawk
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
On the downside, he retained Moss

I'm not seeing how this is bad? Chillar came in here and has gotten better. Hawk has grown as a player since his rookie year. Barnett had a down year last year but has played great this year. Matthews is playing lights-out for a rookie. Brad Jones is looking good. Some of the LBs haven't been amazing, but when you think of this team you don't think of LBs being a problem.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM
On the downside, he retained Moss

I'm not seeing how this is bad? Chillar came in here and has gotten better. Hawk has grown as a player since his rookie year. Barnett had a down year last year but has played great this year. Matthews is playing lights-out for a rookie. Brad Jones is looking good. Some of the LBs haven't been amazing, but when you think of this team you don't think of LBs being a problem.
Winston Moss only coaches Inside Linebackers in this scheme. He doesn't work with Jones or Matthews. Hawk had his best year as a rookie, although he has been much stronger lately this year. Barnett was quite possibly this good prior to Moss arriving. There is probably better evidence he can coach than Whitt, but its a mixed bag. Chillar may be a good point, but he was a starter elsewhere. Its possible this scheme fits him better.