PDA

View Full Version : Question About Heinz Field

Fritz
12-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Heinz Field in Pittsburgh is a rather new stadium, so I am puzzled as to why the field there is the worst or one of the worst in the league, as many players claim.

I would think that, starting from scratch, the builders would have used whatever current thinking and technology is available regarding building a playing surface to ensure that the field would be excellent. Instead, it's apparently the worst place in the league. Does anyone know how that happened?

Administrator
12-20-2009, 09:19 AM
I thought I remembered it was natural grass, and it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Field

Playing surface

In June 2001, Kentucky Bluegrass was laid on the field,[3] at half the height of most NFL field's 2-inch (51 mm) grass. The field is heated from below, using a mixture of antifreeze and hot water, to keep the field at around 62 degrees Fahrenheit (17 degrees Celsius) in order to keep the grass growing year-round.[28] The field was re-surfaced multiple times, until the synthetic-enhanced Desso GrassMaster was installed in 2003.[42] Debate continued over the surface after players began slipping during game play. Despite this players and coaches of Pitt, the Steelers, and their opponents supported keeping the current turf.[43]
"I need the grass. I like the mud. I like the sloppiness, I'm used to it. Mr. Rooney, can we please keep the grass? I don't want no FieldTurf. It's bad on your knees."
—Ike Taylor[44]

On Friday, November 23, 2007, Heinz Field hosted four WPIAL championship football games which were followed the day after with a game between Pitt and South Florida. After discussion with the NFL,[45] Steelers ownership made the decision to re-surface the field for their nationally televised game against the Miami Dolphins. A layer of sod was laid overtop the 2.5-acre (10,000 m2) Desso GrassMaster surface.[46] The field's condition was exacerbated by 1½ inches of rain after the new sod had been laid,[47] which did not allow the tarp to be removed from the field until 70 minutes before the game began.[48] The Steelers won the game 3–0, with a field goal by Jeff Reed with 17 seconds remaining in regulation.[49] Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, called the field a "veritable mud pit".[50] While Gene Upshaw, head of the National Football League Players' Association, also criticized the field citing a 2006 survey of NFL players that ranked Heinz Field as the second worst field in the league.[50] Steelers receiver Hines Ward called the playing conditions "horrendous" after the game.[51] However, the following day Ward and other Pittsburgh players lobbied to keep the natural surface stating, "I think everybody wants to keep the grass."[44]

Debate continued over the field later in the season when Jacksonville running back Fred Taylor called the field "a lawsuit pending".[52] Pittsburgh's ownership stated that the decision was up to the players, who once again defended the natural surface.[53] In February 2008, the Steelers announced that they would keep the Desso GrassMaster surface.[47] During the 2008 season quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was given a concussion after being hit at Heinz Field. He later stated, "I'm glad we weren't on FieldTurf. That grass—you know, the soft Heinz Field—might've helped a little bit."[54] After the 2008 season, a poll of 1,565 NFL players rated the surface at Heinz Field as the worst of the 18 natural surfaces in the League.[55]

The DDGrassmaster surface was removed in January 2009 and replaced with the old sod placed on top of the DDGrassmaster surface for the AFC Championship also in January of 2009.[56]

green_bowl_packer
12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08020/850710-66.stm

red
12-20-2009, 12:05 PM
i would have to imagine that the field is that bad because they want it to be that bad

it helps the d look tough when the other team can't move the ball because of the slop

theres no excuse in this day and age to not have an acceptable field with a drainage system

they're always the worst field no matter what they do to it

green bay figured out how to not be that bad, the bears figured out how to not be that bad, the patriots figured it out

green bay, if i'm not mistaken, put down a drainage field, then sand on top which helps water move, then the weave, then the sod

i don't know what the steelers are doing wrong, but they're screwing up something

green_bowl_packer
12-20-2009, 12:36 PM
How often are other events held in Lambeau other than Packer games?

I know the last few years in Chicago the field was tore up due to concerts like Rolling Stones, Springsteen, U2 (played Chicago NFL opening weekend this year while Bears were getting stomped in Lambeau).

Chicago would usually have to resod a portion of the field at some point mid-year. Depending on how that new sod "took" would dictate the field conditions the rest of the year. I recall the Packers having to replace portions of Lambeau's turf as well, but not since the new cutting edge field was installed.

red
12-20-2009, 12:45 PM

I know the last few years in Chicago the field was tore up due to concerts like Rolling Stones, Springsteen, U2 (played Chicago NFL opening weekend this year while Bears were getting stomped in Lambeau).

Chicago would usually have to resod a portion of the field at some point mid-year. Depending on how that new sod "took" would dictate the field conditions the rest of the year. I recall the Packers having to replace portions of Lambeau's turf as well, but not since the new cutting edge field was installed.

i think lambeau only has to be redone after every season, thats the benefit of the field turf, or whatever its called

before this new surface, it would have to be redone at least once during the season

once long ago, someone posted an article talking about the life of the different kinds of surfaces. the surfaces are measured in hours of use

up until the new stuff came around everyone with natural grass had to resod during the season, and the steelers were still the worst of the bunch

other teams that have to lay down new sod seem to be able to always do it better then the folks in pittsburg

oh, and to answer your first question, i don't think any other events are held at lambeau. no concerts, no other football games. just packer football

just the way its suppose to be

KYPack
12-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Before the Bengals played 'em last season, they had a whole high school state finals in that joint. It started on Thursday and went thru Saturday. they do it for the reasons Red stated in his post. they don't want teams flying around on 'em.

The turf is inferior, they should upgrade.

green_bowl_packer
12-20-2009, 01:03 PM
The turf is inferior, they should upgrade.

This is what I recommend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxcmpR1GQA

Cannonball comin'!!!

pbmax
12-20-2009, 01:11 PM
i would have to imagine that the field is that bad because they want it to be that bad

it helps the d look tough when the other team can't move the ball because of the slop

theres no excuse in this day and age to not have an acceptable field with a drainage system

green bay figured out how to not be that bad, the bears figured out how to not be that bad, the patriots figured it out

green bay, if i'm not mistaken, put down a drainage field, then sand on top which helps water move, then the weave, then the sod

i don't know what the steelers are doing wrong, but they're screwing up something
The Steelers have the exact same grass/synthetic field as the Packers. DD Greassmaster. They went to this after the original grass field proved problematic. Now they could have altered the design, but DD Grassmaster comes with its own specifications about drainage and sand/gravel fields. So its not a case of not having drainage.

The problem seems to be overuse. The year they had the mud bowl with the Dolphins on National TV was after new sod was put on the DD Grassmaster because they had torn the DDGrass... up with high school and college games (Pitt). The sod was fine but had 1.5 inches of rain dumped onto it the day before the game.

If they are going to use it like the Badgers use Camp Randall, they are going to need to decide on a Field Turf like surface. But all the players, including Ward and Ben like the grass.

red
12-20-2009, 01:20 PM

The Steelers have the exact same grass/synthetic field as the Packers. DD Greassmaster. They went to this after the original grass field proved problematic. Now they could have altered the design, but DD Grassmaster comes with its own specifications about drainage and sand/gravel fields. So its not a case of not having drainage.

The problem seems to be overuse. The year they had the mud bowl with the Dolphins on National TV was after new sod was put on the DD Grassmaster because they had torn the DDGrass... up with high school and college games (Pitt). The sod was fine but had 1.5 inches of rain dumped onto it the day before the game.

If they are going to use it like the Badgers use Camp Randall, they are going to need to decide on a Field Turf like surface. But all the players, including Ward and Ben like the grass.

how bout a retractable field?

this is just an idea

you have two fields

you have your normal ddgrass surface that you keep for the steelers. for high school games, and pitt, you roll out the astroturf and lay it right over the real stuff

or in the future you do something like what arizona does. they have something set up where the whole field slides out of the dome to get sunlight

now what if you could use that technology to have two fields and rotate them out. one gets a little worn, you take it out, bring the other in and let the first one heal up. you let the second one grow all year so its nice and strong when its time to play on it.

or you could use the 2 moveable field idea with one real grass, or field turf, or something like that

pbmax
12-20-2009, 02:04 PM

how bout a retractable field?

this is just an idea

you have two fields

you have your normal ddgrass surface that you keep for the steelers. for high school games, and pitt, you roll out the astroturf and lay it right over the real stuff

or in the future you do something like what arizona does. they have something set up where the whole field slides out of the dome to get sunlight

now what if you could use that technology to have two fields and rotate them out. one gets a little worn, you take it out, bring the other in and let the first one heal up. you let the second one grow all year so its nice and strong when its time to play on it.

or you could use the 2 moveable field idea with one real grass, or field turf, or something like that
There is no doubt a number of solutions possible. But I suspect the reason for the overuse is related to cost and revenue. They need to revenue from these (and probably other) events to offset the costs associated with building and maintaining the current facility. Of the suggestions mentioned so far (including the article in the Post Gazette), Field Turf seems the least expensive. To go with a sliding two field operation, or to put a roof on the building, would likely require major modification of the stadium, if not outright rebuilding.

Packers4Ever
12-20-2009, 02:57 PM

i think lambeau only has to be redone after every season, thats the benefit of the field turf, or whatever its called

before this new surface, it would have to be redone at least once during the season

once long ago, someone posted an article talking about the life of the different kinds of surfaces. the surfaces are measured in hours of use

up until the new stuff came around everyone with natural grass had to resod during the season, and the steelers were still the worst of the bunch

other teams that have to lay down new sod seem to be able to always do it better then the folks in pittsburg

oh, and to answer your first question, i don't think any other events are held at lambeau. no concerts, no other football games. just packer football

just the way its suppose to be

Lambeau Field in Green Bay holds approx. 72,000 and every game is a sell-out. If Green Bay was receiving all the snow that the east coast is getting, there would be (paid) shovelers cleaning off all seating areas for the next game.
Shows for entertainment, (somebody name a 2000's entertainer) :) could be held at Lambeau in appropriate weather, but usually those are held somewhere in Milwaukee.
[

red
12-20-2009, 07:30 PM
oh, and to bitch about something else right now

the field sucked today and the sloppyness did hurt us

the field is just the way they like it. the players may bitch about it to the media, but when it comes down to it, they don't want it improved