PDA

View Full Version : ND is burning!

ND72
12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
I gotta get a few things off my chest, cause I'm still freaking lit up over this loss.

#1 - WHY do we have #26, Bell, who is like the last guy on our roster, single covering anyone, much less with 0:03 left on the clock with no help? WHY?

#2 - WHY is our 3 man rush team at the end of the team consisting of Jenkins, Jolly, & Jerious Wynn? I don't care if you want to drop 8 guys, you better have 3 rushers in. I'd have Jenkins, Matthews, & Jones.

#3 - 0:03 seconds left, WHY are we not like a huge stone wall on the goal line with 8 guys? why were there a ton of them standing in the middle of the field?

#4 - What the HELL is up with Crosby?

#5 - Blitz packages looked foolish tonight, RB's were WIDE open.

#6 - WHY are the refs against us every game? Some of these penalties we're getting are ticky tack high school level penalties.

#7 - WHY was there not a holding penalty at the end against Jolly...it was beyond obvious.

#8 - I have no problem with the penalty against Chillar for knocking down Ward. The problem i have is on the very next play, Miller shoves Matthews damn near on the ground 15 yards down field, makes a big catch, no foul.

#9 - I have been wavering on this, but with 0:03 left, why not blitz?

#10 - Our receivers need to find a new brand of stick'em...cause DAMN.

ND72
12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
#11 - Can we PLEASE finally cut Jarret Bush? PLEASE.

MJZiggy
12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
You sound like you need to do the winners & losers, dear.

BallHawk
12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
#11 - Can we PLEASE finally cut Jarret Bush? PLEASE.

No, he's SO good at special teams. :roll:

Fritz
12-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Honestly, ND, look at Bell's coverage on that last play. He was on the guy's hip and Rothlisberger threw it the only place the receiver could catch it. It was actually pretty good coverage.

I'm much more disturbed by the three man rushes that gave Rothlisberger all that time to throw.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Forgot about the first half dropsies. Those were embarrassing.

swede
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Football is a game of inches. The Steelers' last drive reminded me of the NY Giants in the cold NFC Championship game. The Giants--particularly Manning and Burress--kept threading plays that night, making throws while being sacked to receivers who can only make the play with complete body extension as they tapped toes in bounds.

Tonight in the Steeler's final drive Santonio Holmes was chased completely across the flipping field by Nick Barnett (How does that matchup come about?) and Nick did a great job in coverage. He had 90% of the target covered and just missed tipping the ball away. The throw was put into a tiny, tiny opening. Heath Miller made another crazy good catch, using his height and a nice high throw from Ben R. to defeat good coverage from a cornerback. And the last play was reminiscent of the final play in the Super Bowl. Add in the penalties that were called, weren't called, and the missed sack on the penultimate play and you have the sweet anguish of football.

I love how hard this team played tonight. I don't disagree with your bullet points, ND, I think you point out good concerns. But beginning with the Steelers' conversion of 4th and 6 I had a head-shaking realization that the Steelers were going to defeat the Packers.

This team is about four players away from being really, really good. I can let this loss go, knowing we;ll probably be in the playoffs and be a very dangerous matchup for anybody unlucky enough to get us in the first week.

Fritz
12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Everybody got in on the act...Driver, Jones, Jennings...

ND72
12-20-2009, 09:45 PM
JS Online has: "Josh Bell was supposed to play under Mike Wallace at all costs, as the Packers were in a 3 deep safety over top of him"....

#1 - Josh Bell didn't do that.

#2 - Who the hell was that safety? cause he wasn't there. I'm pissed at Bell, but someone else is just as responsible.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Honestly, ND, look at Bell's coverage on that last play. He was on the guy's hip and Rothlisberger threw it the only place the receiver could catch it. It was actually pretty good coverage.

I'm much more disturbed by the three man rushes that gave Rothlisberger all that time to throw.
Yep. I am on board with this criticism. In the middle of the field, forcing a quick throw might work against you and the clock. But near the endzone, force a short throw and make the tackle. With 3 seconds left, the yardage did not matter.

ND72
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM

Yep. I am on board with this criticism. In the middle of the field, forcing a quick throw might work against you and the clock. But near the endzone, force a short throw and make the tackle. With 3 seconds left, the yardage did not matter.

I'm totally on board with that, no question. I was just stating my argument with what happened. My choice would have been to bring 5 on a blitz, give them 15 yards, tackle them on the 5.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
and Nick did a great job in coverage. He had 90% of the target covered and just missed tipping the ball away.
Sorry, but I disagree here. No way Barnett should have dove for the ball. He was two steps behind. He should have driven forward aiming behind the receiver once the throw was coming. All receivers slow up a bit when concentrating to make a catch and he should have made the tackle. But even if he doesn't catch him immediately, he should have been aiming behind him to force him wider. As it was, with Barnett down, he gained another 15 yards.

MJZiggy
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM
This team is about four players away from being really, really good. I can let this loss go, knowing we;ll probably be in the playoffs and be a very dangerous matchup for anybody unlucky enough to get us in the first week.

Yes, Al Harris, Aaron Kampman, Will Blackmon and Pat Lee.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 09:54 PM

I'm totally on board with that, no question. I was just stating my argument with what happened. My choice would have been to bring 5 on a blitz, give them 15 yards, tackle them on the 5.
I am with you. The shorter the field got, the more pressure you bring. Burgh expected it too, they kept Parker or another RB in to block or take a screen pass.

ND72
12-20-2009, 09:58 PM

EH....Al Harris...yeah, I'll go with that. Will Blackmon, not a big fan of. Pat Lee, I'm not sure about yet, cause we've never seen him. Aaron Kampman...LOVE the man, but he doesn't fit us anymore. His knee injury is horrible for him at this point, as well as us because it kills his trade value. I actually think we're a better defense since Kampman has been injured. I don't think Jones is necessarily the answer, but he's pretty good for right now.

Bossman641
12-20-2009, 10:05 PM

EH....Al Harris...yeah, I'll go with that. Will Blackmon, not a big fan of. Pat Lee, I'm not sure about yet, cause we've never seen him. Aaron Kampman...LOVE the man, but he doesn't fit us anymore. His knee injury is horrible for him at this point, as well as us because it kills his trade value. I actually think we're a better defense since Kampman has been injured. I don't think Jones is necessarily the answer, but he's pretty good for right now.

I agree. The Kampman injury sucks, both for us and him, but I think his injury enabled Capers to add a bit of unpredictability to the play-calling not having to hide AK.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
JS Online has: "Josh Bell was supposed to play under Mike Wallace at all costs, as the Packers were in a 3 deep safety over top of him"....

#1 - Josh Bell didn't do that.

#2 - Who the hell was that safety? cause he wasn't there. I'm pissed at Bell, but someone else is just as responsible.

It was Bigby.

Noodle
12-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it was Bigby, but what the hell was he supposed to do on that catch?

Besdies, I thought Bigby has done pretty well the last few games. He sure has brought some hard hitting to the team.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah, it was Bigby, but what the hell was he supposed to do on that catch?

Besdies, I thought Bigby has done pretty well the last few games. He sure has brought some hard hitting to the team.
In the scheme, as ND pointed out from JSO, Bigby should have him deep, and the CB is underneath. I don't think the CB knew where Bigby was, so it was probably a new player's mistake on that technique.

superfan
12-21-2009, 12:01 AM
In the scheme, as ND pointed out from JSO, Bigby should have him deep, and the CB is underneath. I don't think the CB knew where Bigby was, so it was probably a new player's mistake on that technique.

CB underneath in this situation seems like a questionable decision. I could see it if pressure was called, but it wasn't. With a three man rush, very little chance the ball is delivered before the WR reaches the endzone, and the way the flags were flying there is a much better chance Bell gets flagged for PI than makes a game saving breakup.

Bell actually had pretty coverage, tough to blame him, it was a fantastic pass and catch. I place more blame on the fact that he was left out an island, nowhere else even close to Bell and the WR.

I think I would have called something like 4 rushing, 3 in zone around the 10 yard line, and 4 in zone on the end zone. Man coverage on anybody is asking for a penalty.

pbmax
12-21-2009, 12:10 AM

CB underneath in this situation seems like a questionable decision. I could see it if pressure was called, but it wasn't. With a three man rush, very little chance the ball is delivered before the WR reaches the endzone, and the way the flags were flying there is a much better chance Bell gets flagged for PI than makes a game saving breakup.

Bell actually had pretty coverage, tough to blame him, it was a fantastic pass and catch. I place more blame on the fact that he was left out an island, nowhere else even close to Bell and the WR.

I think I would have called something like 4 rushing, 3 in zone around the 10 yard line, and 4 in zone on the end zone. Man coverage on anybody is asking for a penalty.
I know what you are saying, but if you play seven men in coverage that deep you are in trouble with a zone. Complete a ball to someone at the five or 10 yard line (even the 15) and give them one or two receivers to block or run interference, they are going to score from momentum only. You need to play the man unless they are short routes. Those you can keep in front of you.

Bigby bit to the left side of the field because that was where Ben was looking and the other 3 or 4 routes went. He got caught out of position. But as everyone seems to agree, that was bound to happen with a 3 man rush.

superfan
12-21-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice list.

#2 - WHY is our 3 man rush team at the end of the team consisting of Jenkins, Jolly, & Jerious Wynn? I don't care if you want to drop 8 guys, you better have 3 rushers in. I'd have Jenkins, Matthews, & Jones.

I don't have a problem with Jolly because he does a good job of batting down passes at the LOS. I would have gone with Jenkins, Jolly and Matthews.

#3 - 0:03 seconds left, WHY are we not like a huge stone wall on the goal line with 8 guys? why were there a ton of them standing in the middle of the field?

I like this idea, except a short pass to a WR with a bunch of blockers in front might be able to penetrate that wall.

#6 - WHY are the refs against us every game? Some of these penalties we're getting are ticky tack high school level penalties.

I can't believe Matthews first half sack/fumble was overturned. It was a close play, but I sure didn't see indisputable visual evidence that it was an incomplete pass. Looked to me like one of those plays that was so close that you stick to the original ruling on the field. That's two weeks in a row now that the replay has not been kind.

#7 - WHY was there not a holding penalty at the end against Jolly...it was beyond obvious.

Was that the last play of the game, or the 4th down catch by Holmes earlier in that drive? LT Starks tackled his defender on that play similar to a couple plays previously for which he was flagged. Steelers line really struggled on that last drive until we stopped bringing the pressure.

#8 - I have no problem with the penalty against Chillar for knocking down Ward. The problem i have is on the very next play, Miller shoves Matthews damn near on the ground 15 yards down field, makes a big catch, no foul.

Ward also should have been flagged earlier in the game for blindsiding Hawk. Announcers described the rule right after the play, and the play fit the rule perfectly.

My gripes and other comments:

- Kapinos is cursed. He has just missed on having punts downed inside the 5 several times over the last few weeks. I don't think I've ever seen a ball tap the top of the pylon lightly enough that it doesn't knock the pylon over. Ridiculously bad luck. And I recall at least one punt when the catch was made and we had zero coverage guys in the picture.

- Kickoffs were weird all game, from both teams. Squibs, popups, the onside kick. I didn't really like that strategy, but it did prove a fairly effective method for hiding the deficiencies of our coverage teams. At least Pittsburgh didn't have any long returns.

- Woodson did not have his best game. At least one flag, maybe a couple. Had at least one drop on a potential INT. No sacks or turnovers. Couldn't stop Mendenhall on his rushing TD.

- Hawk was outclassed by TE Miller, got beat several times in coverage.

- Dropping Raji into coverage and putting him on Miller. He did about as well as could be expected, which was giving up a first down but preventing a big play. Still not a positive outcome.

- Would like to see more screens to counter opposing blitzes, but the one time I remember them trying to set one up, Rodgers was sacked almost immediately, and it was the only time he was sacked all day. Maybe this OL isn't athletic enough to consistently set up screens.

- Nice start to the game. 3 and out for zero yards, first play TD for Pittsburgh. 0-7 less than a minute into the game, after starting with the ball, trailing to a good team that has lost 5 straight games and needs a confidence boost.

- Positives -

- Very nice TD runs by Rodgers and Grant.
- big completions to Jennings and Driver.
- Rodgers battled tremendously after a rough start and lead the offense on three 4th quarter TD drives, took only 1 sack, and threw zero picks. Can't ask for much more than that.
- Martin was active on special teams.
- Finley continues to look like a star in the making.
- Jones and Jordy made enough plays that inspire confidence in 4 WR sets.
- Props to the OL for doing a pretty good job of keeping Rodgers upright and avoiding penalties.

superfan
12-21-2009, 12:55 AM
I know what you are saying, but if you play seven men in coverage that deep you are in trouble with a zone. Complete a ball to someone at the five or 10 yard line (even the 15) and give them one or two receivers to block or run interference, they are going to score from momentum only. You need to play the man unless they are short routes. Those you can keep in front of you.

Bigby bit to the left side of the field because that was where Ben was looking and the other 3 or 4 routes went. He got caught out of position. But as everyone seems to agree, that was bound to happen with a 3 man rush.

Agree, that scenario occurred to me shortly after my post.

Bottom line is we had a guy out of position, which left single coverage responsibility on an inexperienced CB, against a QB who was having one of the best games of his life and was given enough time to make a great play.

Any time you see "Franchise Record" for a team with as rich of a history as the Steelers, you know you are witnessing something special. Most yards passing in Steeler QB history and the most by anybody since 2006. Crazy.

Only Steeler game I've seen all year, and based on how they looked in this game, that 5 game losing streak is unfathomable.

MichiganPackerFan
12-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Not surprising that three of those are CB's ahead of Bush on the depth chart.

pbmax
12-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Not surprising that three of those are CB's ahead of Bush on the depth chart.
Blackmon maybe, but Lee was not definitively ahead.

Freak Out
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Chillar has to be smarter than that considering the situation.....full on bone head play....you can go on all day about what the opposing players did and got away with but Chillar should not have leveled Ward when he did.