PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers appreciation

Bossman641
12-20-2009, 09:57 PM
There is plenty that went wrong in the game today, but one thing that is being lost in all the negativity is just how well Rodgers played, especially in the second half.

I really believe this guy is special and will be one of the top 3-4 qb for the next 10 years.

MJZiggy
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I think people are getting to the point that they just expect AR to play well...that's how a good performance gets overlooked.

red
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
guy took some big shots early and hung in there

plus, he had a big game, with a lot of drops

kid had a great game, all things considered

red
12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I think people are getting to the point that they just expect AR to play well...that's how a good performance gets overlooked.

well said zig

Bossman641
12-20-2009, 10:03 PM

Ya I know. I just think if the Packers had gone on and won this game it would have been the signature win of Rodgers' career so far.

ND72
12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
I laugh everytime we lose or the Vikes win and I have idiot friends who are cheering for Minnesota right now and they ask me if I wish we had Brett back....my answer is always quick, fuck no.

Lots of those people HATE the fact that Rodgers is as good as he is, there is no question about that. Way too many of them were ready to laugh as he fell on his face, and he's done the complete opposite.

I have had high regards for Rodgers since probably his 2nd year, and had total confidence in him when he became the starter. I'm excited to see the future. We have young, talented receivers. I don't think we're there as far as RB's or OL go, but TT will draft some more talent there. I think Teddy is completely all about getting Rodgers the talent he needs, of which Wolf has admitted time and time again he didn't do for Brett.

MJZiggy
12-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Ya I know. I just think if the Packers had gone on and won this game it would have been the signature win of Rodgers' career so far.

Part that drives me nuts is that he had it won. He drove for the TD AND got the 2-point and D mistakes let him down. That sounds too familiar.

ThunderDan
12-20-2009, 10:36 PM
There is plenty that went wrong in the game today, but one thing that is being lost in all the negativity is just how well Rodgers played, especially in the second half.

I really believe this guy is special and will be one of the top 3-4 qb for the next 10 years.

He's not a winner. It doesn't matter if he doesn't get it done!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Part that drives me nuts is that he had it won. He drove for the TD AND got the 2-point and D mistakes let him down. That sounds too familiar.
That two point play was one of McCarthy's best. I had no idea where they were going after the fake end around and then the fake rollout.

Scott Campbell
12-20-2009, 10:41 PM
I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.

HarveyWallbangers
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
That two point play was one of McCarthy's best. I had no idea where they were going after the fake end around and then the fake rollout.

Good play call. Stupid decision. It was more likely that Pittsburgh would score a TD with enough time to let us get back into FG range than it was that Pittsburgh would miss an extra point.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:55 PM

Good play call. Stupid decision. It was more likely that Pittsburgh would score a TD with enough time to let us get back into FG range than it was that Pittsburgh would miss an extra point.
But the conversion doesn't hurt that eventuality. The Packers miss, lead is five. Steelers score and go for two, their lead is 3. Unless the difference in our potential FG is 4 seconds. As it was, that play almost won the game from a clock standpoint.

Carolina_Packer
12-20-2009, 11:14 PM
I laugh everytime we lose or the Vikes win and I have idiot friends who are cheering for Minnesota right now and they ask me if I wish we had Brett back....my answer is always quick, fuck no.

Lots of those people HATE the fact that Rodgers is as good as he is, there is no question about that. Way too many of them were ready to laugh as he fell on his face, and he's done the complete opposite.

I have had high regards for Rodgers since probably his 2nd year, and had total confidence in him when he became the starter. I'm excited to see the future. We have young, talented receivers. I don't think we're there as far as RB's or OL go, but TT will draft some more talent there. I think Teddy is completely all about getting Rodgers the talent he needs, of which Wolf has admitted time and time again he didn't do for Brett.

I think you are seeing what the coaching staff and front office projected all along. It wasn't so much as we didn't want Brett, but that we didn't need him anymore. Not with how AR has come on. Kudos to him for doing what he could to give the team a chance to win today.

mraynrand
12-20-2009, 11:22 PM

But the conversion doesn't hurt that eventuality. The Packers miss, lead is five. Steelers score and go for two, their lead is 3. Unless the difference in our potential FG is 4 seconds. As it was, that play almost won the game from a clock standpoint.

The conversion is not timed.

HarveyWallbangers
12-20-2009, 11:26 PM

Conversion isn't timed. Also, the Steelers had over 2 minutes left. Again, I think it's more likely the Steelers would have scored a TD with enough time for us to get back into FG range than it was for them to miss an extra point. We miss the two point conversion and it's 34-30. A Steelers TD and extra point gives them a 3 point lead. It's only 2 if we kick the extra point.

Bossman641
12-20-2009, 11:31 PM

Conversion isn't timed. Also, the Steelers had over 2 minutes left. Again, I think it's more likely the Steelers would have scored a TD with enough time for us to get back into FG range than it was for them to miss an extra point. We miss the two point conversion and it's 34-30. A Steelers TD and extra point gives them a 3 point lead. It's only 2 if we kick the extra point.

How quickly were you expecting the Steelers to score? The kickoff occurred with like 2:06 left and they only had 1 TO. I think the 2 point attempt was the right call.

pbmax
12-21-2009, 12:01 AM

Conversion isn't timed. Also, the Steelers had over 2 minutes left. Again, I think it's more likely the Steelers would have scored a TD with enough time for us to get back into FG range than it was for them to miss an extra point. We miss the two point conversion and it's 34-30. A Steelers TD and extra point gives them a 3 point lead. It's only 2 if we kick the extra point.\
Fair point. My math was wrong. Miss the 2 pointer and its a four point lead. But I still think you are playing like the Steelers will have the last possession. They would need to hit it big to score against a D playing to milk the clock and not get beat deep.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2009, 12:30 AM
How quickly were you expecting the Steelers to score? The kickoff occurred with like 2:06 left and they only had 1 TO. I think the 2 point attempt was the right call.

You never know. With our special teams, the Steelers could have had a long kick return. Remember last year. The Panthers were down like 4 points to us and scored a TD in two plays. It's more likely that the Steelers would have scored in, say, a minute and a half than them missing an extra point IMHO. Jeff Reed has made 99% of his extra points in his career.

SkinBasket
12-21-2009, 07:41 AM

Including another helmet to helmet hit that went unflagged. I hope Rodgers mom is sending these tapes to the league if no one else is.

Smidgeon
12-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Including another helmet to helmet hit that went unflagged. I hope Rodgers mom is sending these tapes to the league if no one else is.

The two I saw were both on the opening drive. Were there any others I missed?

pbmax
12-21-2009, 08:13 AM

The Packers need to give one of those complaints back as Matthews did not get flagged on his helmet hit on Ben's facemask.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Is completion % overemphasized in QB ratings? Rodgers now has more TDs, the same amount of interceptions, and more yards/attempt than Bert. However, Bert's completion % is 3.4 higher than Rodgers. Bert has a 104.1 QB rating. Rodgers has a 102.8. Maybe not. I was just expecting Rodgers to be rated higher when I looked this morning--since he has Bert beat in 2 of 4 categories and he's tied in another. Technically, he's doing better in interception rate since those 7 interceptions have come in more attempts. Then again, perhaps Bert's TD rate is a smidge higher.

Bretsky
12-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Is completion % overemphasized in QB ratings? Rodgers now has more TDs, the same amount of interceptions, and more yards/attempt than Bert. However, Bert's completion % is 3.4 higher than Rodgers. Bert has a 104.1 QB rating. Rodgers has a 102.8. Maybe not. I was just expecting Rodgers to be rated higher when I looked this morning--since he has Bert beat in 2 of 4 categories and he's tied in another. Technically, he's doing better in interception rate since those 7 interceptions have come in more attempts. Then again, perhaps Bert's TD rate is a smidge higher.

My view is that it always has been as well
Erin should have the better QB rating and is having a better year IMO

Sparkey
12-21-2009, 09:44 AM
On pace for 4,528 yards 32 touchdowns and 8 interceptions with a season QB rating of 102

Wow, who would have thought that the Packers could have a replacement qb like that after Favre was gone ? The absolutely hardest position to fill in the NFL. A lot of Packer fans have no idea how fortunate this team is. Barring injury, the Pack is set for the next 10+ years at QB.

Sparkey
12-21-2009, 09:46 AM

I wonder how many drops the Vikings receivers have compared to the Packers receivers ?

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2009, 09:58 AM
I wonder how many drops the Vikings receivers have compared to the Packers receivers ?

A few weeks ago, we led the NFL in drops. After yesterday, I'm assuming we still have the most drops.

MichiganPackerFan
12-21-2009, 10:15 AM

plus, he had a big game, with a lot of drops

kid had a great game, all things considered

He took some DIRTY shots that should have received flags.

gbgary
12-21-2009, 10:36 AM
On pace for 4,528 yards 32 touchdowns and 8 interceptions with a season QB rating of 102

Wow, who would have thought that the Packers could have a replacement qb like that after Favre was gone ? The absolutely hardest position to fill in the NFL. A lot of Packer fans have no idea how fortunate this team is. Barring injury, the Pack is set for the next 10+ years at QB.

yup...how lucky can you get?!!

Brandon494
12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Best part about AR is he is only in his 2nd year starting, can you imagine in 4 years when he is 30 in his prime??? Or when he gets a better O-line to protect him??? Or when Finley becomes a top TE in the league with more experience??? :shock:

Future is good in GB and the so called GB fans that still continue to root against ARod really need to get off Favre's dick.

The Shadow
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
I am very, very grateful for Aaron Rodgers.

RashanGary
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM
My view is that it always has been as well

Why should Aaron have a better QB rating?

Scott Campbell
12-21-2009, 02:17 PM

Yet you still disrespect the man - ala Tank.

mngolf19
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Never would have guessed this but yesterday I saw a stat that said Berrian had the least drops in the NFL this season per attempt. I would have thought he was the worst on the Vikes.

Fritz
12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe he doesn't get thrown to as much?

cheesner
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM
Best part about AR is he is only in his 2nd year starting, can you imagine in 4 years when he is 30 in his prime??? Or when he gets a better O-line to protect him??? Or when Finley becomes a top TE in the league with more experience??? :shock:

Future is good in GB and the so called GB fans that still continue to root against ARod really need to get off Favre's dick.
How can they see AR play when all they can see is BF's belly button?

I would like the rating to also take into consideration rushing yardage and rushing TDs.

mngolf19
12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Maybe he doesn't get thrown to as much?

They did say that it also goes into how "catchable" a ball is that is thrown to them to determine if it is a drop or not.

Waldo
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM

Being an effectiveness stat, QB rating only considers per attempt averages.

Completions per attempt - .678 vs .644 - Brett wins
Yards per attempt - 7.75 vs 8.05 - Aaron wins
TD's per attempt - .059 vs .057 - Brett wins
Int's per attempt - .015 vs .014 - Aaron wins

Brett's completion % lead is fairly significant. For Aaron to overcome that lead in the other categories via the NFL formula it would take 31 TD's, 4 ints, or 8.5 ypa (4168 yds) if all other stats were unchanged.

MichiganPackerFan
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM

Being an effectiveness stat, QB rating only considers per attempt averages.

Completions per attempt - .678 vs .644 - Brett wins
Yards per attempt - 7.75 vs 8.05 - Aaron wins
TD's per attempt - .059 vs .057 - Brett wins
Int's per attempt - .015 vs .014 - Aaron wins

Brett's completion % lead is fairly significant. For Aaron to overcome that lead in the other categories via the NFL formula it would take 31 TD's, 4 ints, or 8.5 ypa (4168 yds) if all other stats were unchanged.

Since Aaron has 492 attempts to Bert's 460, I thought I'd look at the results of those stats at 500 attempts each which results in Aaron throwing 17 fewer completions, but 150 more yards, one less td, but 0.5 less Int (guess that means it's tipped and closed the the ground and under review!)

Smidgeon
12-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Since Aaron has 492 attempts to Bert's 460, I thought I'd look at the results of those stats at 500 attempts each which results in Aaron throwing 17 fewer completions, but 150 more yards, one less td, but 0.5 less Int (guess that means it's tipped and closed the the ground and under review!)

Which if it was in the Pittsburgh game would have been ruled an interception even though the receiver "caught" it the exact moment it hit the ground and was ruled an incompletion on the field...

HarveyWallbangers
12-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Bottom line: completion % is overemphasized? It seems to favor a dink and dunk passer (higher completion %).

vince
12-22-2009, 05:16 PM

Bottom line: completion % is overemphasized? It seems to favor a dink and dunk passer (higher completion %).
Harv I assume you're stating your opinion here in the form of a question, and I agree with your point. Yds, TD's and int's per attempt demonstrate QB effectiveness far more than completion % - relatively speaking - because of exactly what you're alluding to. Moving the ball, getting into the endzone and not turning it over are far more important than padding completion stats with short passes. You could even make the argument that completion % is already built into the three other stats (when considered on a per attempt basis) that go more directly to winning QB play.

MOBB DEEP
12-23-2009, 06:53 AM
TEAM game...

I wonder how he would do in KC; Matt Cassel was 11-5 with Pat's weapons...

Aaron should appreciate the system/team/org that fell into his lap

Ted Thompson deserves our gratitude too; he's parcells-esque talent evaluating

Will be awesome to see how he plays in his 1st post-season. Round 2 at Minny! whew.....

Scott Campbell
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
TEAM game...

I wonder how he would do in KC; Matt Cassel was 11-5 with Pat's weapons...

Aaron should appreciate the system/team/org that fell into his lap

Ted Thompson deserves our gratitude too; he's parcells-esque talent evaluating

Will be awesome to see how he plays in his 1st post-season. Round 2 at Minny! whew.....

Perhaps Deanna said it best:

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/41d3e90314f6011c2b62e1136c27f3aa.jpg

mraynrand
12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Round 2 at Minny! whew.....

The way the Vikings are playing, it's also likely that they will be hosting Dallas in the Wildcard round. Packers finish 11-5 and Dallas 10-6 after a loss to Philly. Philly gets 2 seed after Vikings lose to Giants and/or Bears.

Patler
12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Let's look at some extreme cases:

QB # 1 - 9 attempts, 3 completions, 240 yards, 3 TDs.
QB # 2 - 9 attempts, 7 completions, 240 yards, 3 TDs.

These could be achieved in 3 possessions. Their ratings?

QB #1 - 121
QB #2 - 158

What's even more interesting is that if QB #2 only throws 2 TDs, his rate stays at 158. If he throws just 1 TD, it only drops to 155. If he throws 2 TDs and 1 interception, actually turning the ball over in one of the drives, his rate is 119, barely below the guy with 3 TDs.

All-in-all, I do not like the calculation, and never really have.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2009, 03:21 PM
ESPN's MVP Watch has the top 6 like this:

1 Peyton Manning
2 Drew Brees
3 Philip Rivers
4 Aaron Rodgers
5 Chris Johnson
6 Brett Favre

Bossman641
12-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Aaron Rodgers is the first QB in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons as a starter.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm not giving Philly 2 automatic wins...

Denver and Dallas are not going to be cakewalks for the Eagles.

MJZiggy
12-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Denver is so far. C'mon Orton :?