PDA

View Full Version : OUR #1 D

Bretsky
12-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Seemed to be MIA today. Missed Tackles and some vanilla bob like schemes late in the game seemed to add to the problem. Overal I think those have been strengths this year

We learned a couple obvious things today

1. Our Defense is very succeptible against a gobeing exposed by a stellar offense now that Al Harris is gone

2. We're a lot more like a top 10 defense than a #1 defense.

Going back to #1, I'd hate to see Phily or the Saints in the playoffs because I don't know if we have the players to match the number of playmakers on offense they have.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Seemed to be MIA today. Missed Tackles and some vanilla bob like schemes late in the game seemed to add to the problem. Overal I think those have been strengths this year

We learned a couple obvious things today

1. Our Defense is very succeptible against a gobeing exposed by a stellar offense now that Al Harris is gone

2. We're a lot more like a top 10 defense than a #1 defense.

Going back to #1, I'd hate to see Phily or the Saints in the playoffs because I don't know if we have the players to match the number of playmakers on offense they have.
I worry more about the Saints and Brees quick throws than I do McNabb who is more stationery and willing to stand in. I think the separation between the point totals versus the yardage totals told us the Packers D wasn't number one. There is not enough pass rush yet. But the scheme is far better. It gives them a fighting chance.

Scott Campbell
12-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Ben was unbelievable today. Props to the Steelers.

HarveyWallbangers
12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Unless you are the 2000 Ravens, you aren't going to be great every week. Check out the Vikings against Arizona and Carolina. I figured it would be high scoring. Both offenses go up against that scheme every day in practice.

pbmax
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Unless you are the 2000 Ravens, you aren't going to be great every week. Check out the Vikings against Arizona and Carolina. I figured it would be high scoring. Both offenses go up against that scheme every day in practice.
We also missed Pickett. Raji is a beast, but he got turned in the middle a few times. You never know what a few less yards might mean. Though 600 yards of offense might argue otherwise. :lol:

denverYooper
12-20-2009, 10:54 PM

+1. Ben was ridiculous.

Freak Out
12-21-2009, 01:25 AM
There were a few times he should have been on the deck and escaped....made some huge plays that way.....like he always seems to.

MOBB DEEP
12-21-2009, 06:46 AM

+1. Ben was ridiculous.

DAYUM...!!!

Badgerinmaine
12-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Amen to that--and it wasn't like he wasn't hit--the Packers had five sacks yesterday. My hat is off to him.

gbgary
12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
yup...just two great qbs picking apart two real good defenses. no real harm done in the big picture. we just need to bury seattle and beat arizona to go into the playoffs with momentum.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey, our defense is still #2 in total yards, #2 in rushing yards (almost even with Pittsburgh), tied for #1 in rushing yards/attempt, #11 in passing yards, #2 in completion %, #3 in interceptions, #4 in pass deflections, and we've moved up to #9 in sacks.

Brandon494
12-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Our defense just can't handle the top QBs in the league. All the elite QBs they face (Palmer, Favre twice, and Ben Big) have had some of the best games of their career stat wise. That concerns me a lot going into the playoffs where each time has good QB play.

Fritz
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Would you be more concerned if you were a Viking fan and the Panthers' backup QB just put up almost 300 yards on your vaunted defense?

RashanGary
12-21-2009, 11:46 AM
In 2007, we were a top 6 defense until Jolly and KGB went out. From that undefeated 6-0 or 7-0 moment, we lost 3 of our last 9 or 10. Teams were starting to run down our throat with a tired Williams and PIckett playing almost every snap. It tumbled downward.

This year is a little different. We're just starting to peak, but this shows that a great QB can expose our #3 CB pretty regularly. Maybe Capers finds a way to cover these guys, but chances are, a good team will expose whatever we give up to try to fix this weakness.

I'm close to bailing on the Packers. Our only hope is Mike Bell or Brandon Underwood somehow getting it together in a couple weeks. I doubt it, but we should make the playoffs anyway. I just don't think we're SB caliber any more, not with that glaring and important of a weak link.

rbaloha1
12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Teams like the Steelers and Bengals with great qbs and experience against 3-4 defenses easily carve up the Packers.

The Packers D is misleading due to the weak schedule. Coupled with the Al Harris could lead to problems in the playoffs. May have to win shootouts.

bobblehead
12-21-2009, 12:09 PM
You all make me laugh sometimes. The reason we gave up so many passing yards is that we shut down the run and Ben does that to a lot of teams. Yes, great QB's expose teams that have their 8th DB on the field. At the same time we put up 36 points and came within one RCH of winning the game, on the road against the must win defending champs.

Our D had a hickup today as a great QB played a great game and did what he always does....take a hit, shrug it off and make the play.

With all the injuries we have this is STILL a top 10 D. If we had a Kampman to pin the ears back on that final drive we likely win.

We got 2 more weeks to figure out who the nickel should be, and who the dime should be. Whoever it is will get picked on, but we need to rally around that person and put a D on the field that gives up 21 or less. Then we need the O clicking enough to put up 22 or more.

Now, just as it was unlikely we end up 10-6, its unlikely we win a superbowl, but I could see finishing 11-5 and punking a team or 2 in the playoffs, and who knows, if a serious nickel emerges we might even run the damn table.

bobblehead
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Teams like the Steelers and Bengals with great qbs and experience against 3-4 defenses easily carve up the Packers.

The Packers D is misleading due to the weak schedule. Coupled with the Al Harris could lead to problems in the playoffs. May have to win shootouts.

What about teams like the cowboys who have experience against the 3-4? The Ravens? How about the Browns (their QB made a probowl). These all have QB's that have had their song sung loudly at one time or another and we pretty much owned them.

Here, let me sum up your argument...."Doesn't count"

Smidgeon
12-21-2009, 12:16 PM

What about teams like the cowboys who have experience against the 3-4? The Ravens? How about the Browns (their QB made a probowl). These all have QB's that have had their song sung loudly at one time or another and we pretty much owned them.

Here, let me sum up your argument...."Doesn't count"

+1

I'm tired of people blaming the Packer's defensive success on the opponents' ineptitude.

swede
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
You all make me laugh sometimes. The reason we gave up so many passing yards is that we shut down the run and Ben does that to a lot of teams. Yes, great QB's expose teams that have their 8th DB on the field. At the same time we put up 36 points and came within one RCH of winning the game, on the road against the must win defending champs.

Our D had a hickup today as a great QB played a great game and did what he always does....take a hit, shrug it off and make the play.

With all the injuries we have this is STILL a top 10 D. If we had a Kampman to pin the ears back on that final drive we likely win.

We got 2 more weeks to figure out who the nickel should be, and who the dime should be. Whoever it is will get picked on, but we need to rally around that person and put a D on the field that gives up 21 or less. Then we need the O clicking enough to put up 22 or more.

Now, just as it was unlikely we end up 10-6, its unlikely we win a superbowl, but I could see finishing 11-5 and punking a team or 2 in the playoffs, and who knows, if a serious nickel emerges we might even run the damn table.

Agreed, Bobble.

I don't understand why many people don't give the Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Heath Miller a little credit for playing lights out and refusing to lose. The 5 game skid must have made some of you think that the Steelers suck. They don't. Sports Illustrated--whose opinion I do not overvalue--had the Steelers going to the Super Bowl again before the key injuries and the ensuing losing streak.

The Packers aren't perfect but they're pretty darn good. I think they win two playoff games.

Sparkey
12-21-2009, 01:00 PM

Agreed, Bobble.

I don't understand why many people don't give the Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Heath Miller a little credit for playing lights out and refusing to lose. The 5 game skid must have made some of you think that the Steelers suck. They don't. Sports Illustrated--whose opinion I do not overvalue--had the Steelers going to the Super Bowl again before the key injuries and the ensuing losing streak.

The Packers aren't perfect but they're pretty darn good. I think they win two playoff games.

That would have them losing in the NFC Championship game.

swede
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM

Agreed, Bobble.

That would have them losing in the NFC Championship game.

And people will bitch about it.

mraynrand
12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm close to bailing on the Packers. .

http://patrickcox.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Buck up, little camper!

mraynrand
12-21-2009, 01:38 PM
May have to win shootouts.

I'm OK with this. I like it when the Packers win.

denverYooper
12-21-2009, 02:35 PM

Buck up, little camper!

Truly a sight to behold. A man beaten. The once great champ, now, a study in moppishness. No longer the victory hungry stallion we've raced so many times before, but a pathetic, washed up, aged ex-champion.

Bretsky
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Big Picture

This loss was no biggie; we never really were a serious Super Bowl contender. We're going to the playoffs........a nice step forward.

We're IMO on the cusp of many years of contention.

We could make a Wolf like run and spend a while in the playoffs.

If we win one or two Super Bowls on the way then we'll have achieved greatness. This team is moving in the right direction.

Hopefully we make the playoffs, get a win.......and go further next year.

pbmax
12-21-2009, 11:01 PM
This loss was no biggie; we never really were a serious Super Bowl contender. We're going to the playoffs........a nice step forward.
It took Capers four weeks to become convinced the Packers could hold the fort against the run while blitzing after he didn't like what he saw against the Bengals and Rams. Week 4 (Vikes) to Week 8 (Bucs).

Packers have two games left and then, likely, a Wild Card game. That is three weeks prior to a Division Round Playoff game. Don't be surprised if the Defense takes another jump. And remember, of all the playoff QBs that Silverstein is frightened of, only McNabb can come close to standing in the pocket like Roethlisberger. This isn't over yet, no matter how many writers have the obituary written. Everyone can be beaten. The Cowboys just crushed Brees while not running the ball. Saddle up. :lol:

swede
12-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Saddle up. :lol:

Now THERE is optimistic realism. Yee haw, PBMax!

Bretsky
12-21-2009, 11:33 PM
It took Capers four weeks to become convinced the Packers could hold the fort against the run while blitzing after he didn't like what he saw against the Bengals and Rams. Week 4 (Vikes) to Week 8 (Bucs).

Packers have two games left and then, likely, a Wild Card game. That is three weeks prior to a Division Round Playoff game. Don't be surprised if the Defense takes another jump. And remember, of all the playoff QBs that Silverstein is frightened of, only McNabb can come close to standing in the pocket like Roethlisberger. This isn't over yet, no matter how many writers have the obituary written. Everyone can be beaten. The Cowboys just crushed Brees while not running the ball. Saddle up. :lol:

But Capers is playing Blackjack; the dealer shows an ace and he sits with a 9. It's a tough task when he's short handed.

I was at the Dallas game when that defense looked so amazing. Al Harris was a HUGE part of that. Now we go from needing to play Al Harris to whoever we want to lay claim to as our #3 CB.

Williams is fine; Woody is fine; Collins is fine. But after that I don't see how Capers can trust the rest of them and therefore he's constantly gambling when he sends the house because the guys out there are going to have a hard time holding their own. That is why the Harris loss is so painful. The rest really don't hurt much if at all.

The teams that scare me the most are the ones with three stellar WR's and a pass catching TE. Eagles and Saints for sure......Vikings might be the 3rd. We can play with the rest IMO.

Regardless we're laying a very solid foundation and certainly an improvement from last year.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2009, 11:35 PM
It's good to have you back, Brestky!
:D

RashanGary
12-23-2009, 06:30 AM

Buck up, little camper!

Hey, butt-hole :)