PDA

View Full Version : CHAD CLIFTON

Bretsky
12-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Great Game

Gave the Staff and GM somethink to consider at a time when many call for youth

He pitched a shutout (mostly blocking James Harrison) against one of the most dominating pass rushers in the NFL

Harrison had one assisted tackle the whole game and one knockdown (actually on a stunt vs. Colledge)

It's no surprise that our OL is playing loads better since Tauscher is back and Clifton is stepping up his game

We better be dam sure ready one of our guys can step in and play immediately before letting these two guys go :!:

Noodle
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Good post. There may be more in that gas tank than I thought. I just hope the Pack can squeeze another year or two out of the big fella.

Seriously, compare the job he did with the abuse that Pit's LT took. That poor SOB was just getting used. Not so our old vet.

mmmdk
12-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Good post. There may be more in that gas tank than I thought. I just hope the Pack can squeeze another year or two out of the big fella.

Seriously, compare the job he did with the abuse that Pit's LT took. That poor SOB was just getting used. Not so our old vet.

...Pit's LT looked great on their last drive vs Packers 3 man front :roll:

The Leaper
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I don't know why this surprises anyone. When healthy, Clifton still is a very effective pass blocker...probably one of the top 8 in the league. The issues Clifton has are that he has reached an age where injuries pop up more often and linger longer...and he loses effectiveness quickly when he is less than 100%. He also is at best an average run blocker at this point. He always has been a better pass blocker than run blocker...and it is becoming an even more pronounced difference as he ages.

Bottom line...we need someone to replace him soon. He can't last 16 games in a season anyway...so get his eventual replacement on the roster and let them work together. I would not feel comfortable going into 2010 without having a capable young talent behind Clifton at LT. But I agree there is no need to dump the guy at this point.

pbmax
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

They weren't in a 3 man front the entire drive. Matthews was clearly gassed and was not getting past the LT anymore. Not saying that is a reason to go a 3 man rush, but the pass rushers were wiped by that drive.

Mazzin
12-22-2009, 08:50 PM

They weren't in a 3 man front the entire drive. Matthews was clearly gassed and was not getting past the LT anymore. Not saying that is a reason to go a 3 man rush, but the pass rushers were wiped by that drive.

If the pass rushers are to wiped to rush the passer, they shouldn't be trying to cover down field either, thats insane. Even if its a zone, why are they in?

pbmax
12-22-2009, 10:30 PM

If the pass rushers are to wiped to rush the passer, they shouldn't be trying to cover down field either, thats insane. Even if its a zone, why are they in?
It certainly affects both, and his coverage could have suffered. But the only option was Poppinga and I think a sold-out Matthews is better in coverage than Poppin fresh.