PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the Green Bay Packers

Smidgeon
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
A simple question: What will it take to put the team in a position to be effective long-term? My list follows below. This isn't a projection list or anything like that. This isn't looking ahead to the draft. This is simply a "what do I see this team has for the future" list after being impressed by the rookie OLBs in Sunday's game.

Must-Needs:
* A cornerback because both Woodson and Harris are over 33 and Tramon Williams can only replace one of them.
* An effective starting WR to take over once DD retires which could be Jordy Nelson or James Jones if either takes a step in the coming offseason or the next season.
* Two starting offensive tackles.

It-Would-Be-Nice-To-Haves:
* A safety to replace Bigby who--while consistent--doesn't appear to be special. He's solid, but good CBs and Nick Collins can hide his or any other safety's similar limitations.
* A RB who at least forces the opposing defenses to account for him on every play, either as a nasty blitz-picker-upper, a receiving threat, or a shifty homerun running threat. Ryan Grant is serviceable and picks up a lot of yards over the year as an under-average used runner, but I don't think he makes defenses account for him on every play.
* A kick returner who both is a threat to take it to the house every once in a while, like Blackman, and who isn't going to end up on IR every year, unfortunately unlike Blackman.

Icing-On-the-Cake:
* A third CB like Williams has been the last couple seasons and Harris was early in his career. Someone who doesn't embarrass himself on the field in coverage (see Bush, Jarrett.)
* A stud punter.
* Another linebacker, just because.

Notes:
* The QB, WR depth, interior O-line, TE, LBs, D-line, and FS seem to be set and set with youth. Unlike many here, I like the kicker we currently have. I think he's in a little dry spell, but I also think he'll come out of it stronger.

The Shadow
12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
A simple question: What will it take to put the team in a position to be effective long-term? My list follows below. This isn't a projection list or anything like that. This isn't looking ahead to the draft. This is simply a "what do I see this team has for the future" list after being impressed by the rookie OLBs in Sunday's game.

Must-Needs:
* A cornerback because both Woodson and Harris are over 33 and Tramon Williams can only replace one of them.
* An effective starting WR to take over once DD retires which could be Jordy Nelson or James Jones if either takes a step in the coming offseason or the next season.

* A safety to replace Bigby who--while consistent--doesn't appear to be special. He's solid, but good CBs and Nick Collins can hide his or any other safety's similar limitations.
* A RB who at least forces the opposing defenses to account for him on every play, either as a nasty blitz-picker-upper, a receiving threat, or a shifty homerun running threat. Ryan Grant is serviceable and picks up a lot of yards over the year as an under-average used runner, but I don't think he makes defenses account for him on every play.
* A kick returner who both is a threat to take it to the house every once in a while, like Blackman, and who isn't going to end up on IR every year, unfortunately unlike Blackman.

Icing-On-the-Cake:
* A third CB like Williams has been the last couple seasons and Harris was early in his career. Someone who doesn't embarrass himself on the field in coverage (see Bush, Jarrett.)
* A stud punter.

Notes:
* The QB, WR depth, interior O-line, TE, LBs, D-line, and FS seem to be set and set with youth. Unlike many here, I like the kicker we currently have. I think he's in a little dry spell, but I also think he'll come out of it stronger.

Slightly disagree:
.MUST - NEEDS (1st round/Free Agency)
1. A cornerback - most definitely.
2. One quality left tackle - Lang will ably man the right side

Would -Be-Nice-To-Have
1. Quality secondary depth
2. A real kick returne
3. Another big Defensive Lineman to beef up the rotation

Smidgeon
12-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Slightly disagree:
.MUST - NEEDS (1st round/Free Agency)
2. One quality left tackle - Lang will ably man the right side

I like Lang, but now that I think about it, I was projecting him subconsciously to LG because I'm still not sold on Colledge. If he does end up at RT (which I think I'd prefer), then the team would need one more interior O-line player.

Pugger
12-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Unless Crosby comes out of this funk we may need to look for another kicker. :? CB may not be as glaring a need if Lee comes around next season. LT is a big need too. Unfortunately they don't grow on trees and are impossible to find in FA so we might have to move up in the draft to nab one this coming April.

red
12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
we for sure need one tackle, maybe two depending on lang. i'd like to see him get some more time to see a little more of him

and we badly need a cb, right now i'm not sold on any of the guys on our roster being able to step up next year to the nickle spot if harris or woodson go down. no confidence behind t-will

we also need a second RB, the NfL has turned into a 2 running back league. green is old, and jackson is a nobody

Freak Out
12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
we for sure need one tackle, maybe two depending on lang. i'd like to see him get some more time to see a little more of him

and we badly need a cb, right now i'm not sold on any of the guys on our roster being able to step up next year to the nickle spot if harris or woodson go down. no confidence behind t-will

we also need a second RB, the NfL has turned into a 2 running back league. green is old, and jackson is a nobody

Both OT and CB are top needs...if Harris comes back strong that's great but we can't count on that.

RB is a strong need and a kick returner as well. Jordy has his rare moments but we need a game breaker back there....if he's a RB that's all the better.

How about a punter?

Willard
12-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree with OT (1-2), CB, P, RB. WR is not as urgent. Hell, DD wants to play another 6 years, and JJ, Jordy, and JFin are nice weapons.

Other needed upgrades: ST coach, OL coach, Personal Sports Psychologist for poor, confused Mason.

Maxie the Taxi
12-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Must-Needs:

Icing-On-the-Cake:
* A stud punter.

Notes:

I can't really argue with you, it's a well-thought out list. But here's a couple comments:

1) RB - To get a sure-fire game-breaker, like Spiller, TT'd would have to trade up. I don't see him doing that. There is no Adrian Peterson in this year's draft. Most of the upper level backs are 2nd-3rd round guys. Plus, if we got Spiller, would McStubby feature him?

2) Assuming we go deep into the playoffs, TT just might trade his top choice for a couple extra 2nd's or 3rd's. I could see him picking two or three of these type of guys: guys like Toby Gerhart, Jason Fox, Brandon Ghee, Jordan Shipley, Anthony Dixon, etc. I think there's talent in these rounds.

3) Your comment about getting a "nasty blitz-picker-upper" made me think of McStubby's comment yesterday:

I thought Brandon Jackson played as well as any running back I have seen in pass protection. I thought he played at a very high level.

That's heavy praise. We may already have that "nasty blitz-picker-uper."

mraynrand
12-22-2009, 02:30 PM
McGinn's column said that Jackson was making as many protection calls as Wells. Says he was way into it. Good for him - especially considering how much of a deficiency it was for him in his first year or two. Gotta hand some credit to Bennett.

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
McGinn's column said that Jackson was making as many protection calls as Wells. Says he was way into it. Good for him - especially considering how much of a deficiency it was for him in his first year or two. Gotta hand some credit to Bennett.
Been a fan of BJack and he's a very good 3rd down back and an outstanding pass blocker. For the pass heavy offense that we are, especially with our OL issues, he's a must keep for next season. To me, Green is the back that can go this offseason.

Bossman641
12-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Been a fan of BJack and he's a very good 3rd down back and an outstanding pass blocker. For the pass heavy offense that we are, especially with our OL issues, he's a must keep for next season. To me, Green is the back that can go this offseason.

I agree. BJack might not fit the role of a true 3rd down back (Sproles) but he is very solid in pass protection. I just wish he got a few more opportunities.

MichiganPackerFan
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
my favorite comment was: "Not only is Jackson always in the right place, he is downright nasty taking people on. Ask Timmons, who's on the soft side, anyway. Jackson's probably still blocking him."

Brandon494
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM
B. Jack did a nice job blocking Ray Lewis as well

The Leaper
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
To me, our biggest need is in the secondary. The NFL is currently a very pass happy league. We need to be 8 deep with talent capable of getting on the field and not being a liability. Right now, we are only 5 deep (Harris, Woodson, Bigby, Collins, Williams) with a couple young question marks.

LT is also a big concern...Clifton can hold down the fort for at least one more year, but we need a capable replacement behind him...because he WILL get injured at some point.

Jackson is by far the best pass blocker we have at RB...he ain't going anywhere IMO. He is a very solid 3rd down back for our offense. I think we need to draft a RB that has speed and receiving skills. With our passing game, we don't need a "feature RB"...we need someone who can attack the edge both running and receiving. Someone like that forces LBs to cover the entire field, and really helps open up the middle of the field in the passing game. Currently, opposing LBs have no fear of anyone in our backfield getting to the edge.

The icing on the cake would be a young pass rushing LB who could like up opposite Matthews in passing situations. Tandem this kid with Jones, and you shore up the other OLB position...replacing Kampman.

Guiness
12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Competition at both placekicker and punter is a must. Not saying draft someone, but bring a couple bodies into camp.

CB - at this point, no way we can count on Harris's return, or at least that he'll be ready by camp. Lee and Blackmon are unknowns. Unless Underwood really steps up, we need another player there.

After that, something along the OL. The interior line is a bit of a left side of the interior line is a bit of a mystery. Does Spitz come back and replace Wells, or do they try and put him at LG? Where does Lang project? Is LT right out? Clifton's health has to be a concern, so we need to groom a backup there. What have we got in Tauscher? Is he getting to the level of play before his injury? Sitton is the only guy I see as having his position nailed down next year.

I think our top pick will be OL.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
It's a bright future:

Team rankings

OFFENSE

Scoring - 7th
Total Yards - 6th
Passing Yards - 8th
Rushing Yards - 15th
Avg Yards/Rush - 11th
1st Downs - 6th
3rd Down % - 3rd
Time Of Possession - 4th
Sacks Allowed - 32nd (but improved dramatically the last half of the year)

DEFENSE

Scoring - 11th
Total Yards - 2nd
Passing Yards - 11th
Rushing Yards - 2nd
Avg Yards/Rush - 1st (tied with Baltimore)
Interceptions - 3rd
Pass Deflections - 4th
Sacks - 8th

This is a good, well-rounded team (too bad our special teams suck) that is still young. We rank in the bottom half of the NFL in just one offensive or defensive category (sacks allowed). We haven't seen this kind of consistency across the stats board in awhile.

Individually, we have a young QB with a QB rating over 100, a RB that might get 1300 rushing yards, two likely 1000 yard receivers, a TE who might get 700 yards receiving despite missing almost 4 games, a rookie LB with 10 sacks, a corner with 8 interceptions and 4 forced fumbles, and a safety who has 6 interceptions.

Main Priority: OT, CB
Lesser Priority: RB, DL, S

Brandon494
12-23-2009, 12:57 AM

Must-Needs:

Icing-On-the-Cake:
* A stud punter.

Notes:

Must-Needs:

I would not even mind trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a vetern CB instead of one.

I don't think reciever is a must-need, would fit more under would be nice to have. With Finley getting better each game he should be the next big time reciever for this offense.

Also on starting tackles I believe Lang is pretty much a lock at RT. I think they'll end up moving Barbe back to guard before they would Lang. Drafting a LT with our 1st would be a likely choice if playmakers like Spiller are not still around.

It-Would-Be-Nice-To-Have:

I believe getting another safety is a bigger need then WR. Bigby is nothing special and we have no depth at either safety position.

CJ Spiller would answer both the playmaker at RB and KR needs. Hopefully we'll be able to draft him if not maybe Best from Cal.

Icing-On-the-Cake:

Agree we do need to bring in another solid corner, hopefully Lee can be that guy next season.

I could really care less about a punter to be honestly

We are loaded at LB, not need to add another.

green_bowl_packer
12-23-2009, 07:17 AM
PFT agrees:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/23/rookie-packers-quickly-making-an-impact/

Rookie Packers quickly making an impact
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 23, 2009 8:05 AM ET
Packers G.M. Ted Thompson experienced one of his career lows on November first when Green Bay lost to Brett Favre's Vikings for a second time. And then lost to the Bucs a week later.

At 4-4, the Packers faithful was howling for a full scale demolition to the team's front office and coaching staff.

Since then, the Packers have won five of six games and sit on the doorstep of the playoffs. The howling has quieted down, and it's largely because of one of Thompson's better rookie classes.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel does an instructive breakdown of the group Wednesday. In linebacker Clay Matthews, the team has a Rookie of the Year candidate. He's a prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker.

Seventh-round pick Brad Jones may start opposite Matthews for the next five years.

First round defensive tackle B.J. Raji, fourth-round offensive lineman T.J. Lang and fifth-round fullback Quinn Johnson are all contributing and look like future starters.

Thompson has suffered his share of missteps, especially on the offensive line. But many of his most high profile decisions -- choosing Aaron Rodgers over Brett Favre, signing Charles Woodson, and trading Corey Williams -- look pretty damn good in retrospect.

Even the move to a 3-4 defense has worked quicker than anyone imagined.

The Packers roster is far from perfect, but they have as much homegrown young talent as any team in the league. The idea of starting over from scratch seemed as crazy back on November 1 as it does now.

Smidgeon
12-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think reciever is a must-need, would fit more under would be nice to have. With Finley getting better each game he should be the next big time reciever for this offense.

I don't think I feel comfortable with just two receiving threats (assuming DD retires or is slowed in the next couple years) in Jennings and Finley. Finley is ascending, but he's ascending as a TE. I'd like to see two 1000 yard receivers and Finley with 800+ on a year to year basis. I want to see another WR that defenses have to account for.

Guiness
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
It-Would-Be-Nice-To-Have:

I believe getting another safety is a bigger need then WR. Bigby is nothing special and we have no depth at either safety position.

CJ Spiller would answer both the playmaker at RB and KR needs. Hopefully we'll be able to draft him if not maybe Best from Cal.

Icing-On-the-Cake:

Agree we do need to bring in another solid corner, hopefully Lee can be that guy next season.

I could really care less about a punter to be honestly

We are loaded at LB, not need to add another.

You know, I'm not sure how I glossed over the safety position - seems like at this point in the NFL it's the red-headed stepchild spot. A few years ago it was the TE that no one paid attention to.

On further reflection, I think it's a pretty big need with this team. I like Bigby, despite his shortcommings, and think the team is a lot better with him out there. But the depth is really bad, probably worse than anywhere else on the team. Those games that he and/or Collins were out really exposed that position.

Maxie the Taxi
12-23-2009, 01:28 PM
CB - at this point, no way we can count on Harris's return, or at least that he'll be ready by camp. Lee and Blackmon are unknowns. Unless Underwood really steps up, we need another player there.

I predict Underwood not only will step up but will be a starter before too long. Tramon and Brandon to take over for Woodson and Al.

Smidgeon
12-23-2009, 01:31 PM

I predict Underwood not only will step up but will be a starter before too long. Tramon and Brandon to take over for Woodson and Al.

Let's hope so. I also hope that Lee will remain healthy and become a reliable nickel back. But I'd be shocked if the Pack didn't pick up another CB in the draft...

Maxie the Taxi
12-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Let's hope so. I also hope that Lee will remain healthy and become a reliable nickel back. But I'd be shocked if the Pack didn't pick up another CB in the draft...

They might, but it won't be their top choice. CB's are at a premium in the NFL and a really good one --a starter like Reves -- won't last beyond the top 10 choices.

Smidgeon
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM

They might, but it won't be their top choice. CB's are at a premium in the NFL and a really good one --a starter like Reves -- won't last beyond the top 10 choices.

Nah. I don't think they'll get a top flight. Depending on what's available, they might go 2nd round again. Or much later. I simply think they'll keep drafting CBs until they get another opposite Williams. The "Spaghetti Against the Wall" Approach.

HarveyWallbangers
12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Mel Kiper

Green Bay Packers (Spring grade: A)

I said I loved what this team did with the first two picks, and I'll stand by that. They moved to a 3-4, grabbed two players in B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews that fit Dom Capers' system and have made huge gains. Matthews is a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate. Brad Jones is a steal in the seventh round. On the whole, four big-time contributors out of one draft on a playoff-caliber team is a lot.

Current grade: A

Guiness
12-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Would be nice, and the team should have a chance to get a good look to decide with the games we have left this season. He wasn't active against Pitt, but he should be this week, and in at nickle, which will give the Pack an opportunity to see what he can do when playing a decent amount of snaps.

If Bush is in at nickel instead of him by the time week 17 comes around, we should be drafting a CB sooner rather than later.

Maxie the Taxi
12-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Would be nice, and the team should have a chance to get a good look to decide with the games we have left this season. He wasn't active against Pitt, but he should be this week, and in at nickle, which will give the Pack an opportunity to see what he can do when playing a decent amount of snaps.

If Bush is in at nickel instead of him by the time week 17 comes around, we should be drafting a CB sooner rather than later.

I'm high on Underwood because he's got all the physical tools, has good size and has shown flashes of great play this year. I'm expecting that with the extra seasoning these guys get over a year or two, he'll blossom...maybe not next year, but the year after that.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Green Bay has:

1) One of the best young QBs in Rodgers in the NFL
2) One of the best young WRs in Jennings in the NFL
3) One of the best young TEs in Finley in the NFL
4) One of the best young LBs in Matthews in the NFL

The future looks very, very bright. Did I miss anyone?

EDIT: I am also really starting to like Martin on ST and Brandon Jackson as the 2nd RB.