PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING CLIFF CRISTL CHAT

Bretsky
07-29-2006, 07:12 AM
THURSDAY, July 27, chat transcript
Cliff Christl
Packer Insider columnist

On the eve of the start of Packers training camp, Cliff Christl answered questions about the team's prospects.

Q: Nik of Eden Prairie, MN - Thanks for the chat, Mr. Christl. Think the Packers are interested in Jerry Porter? If they are, what would TT be willing to pay for him? Thanks again for your time.

A: Cliff Christl - Nik, you posted first. Thus, we'll start with you. Interesting question. The Packers need a wide receiver so I can't imagine that Ted Thompson wouldn't have some interest. But that doesn't mean it would be easy to strike a deal. Without taking the time to search here, I don't know the details of Porter's contract. That's always a factor in any trade. Porter is 28 years old, so he should still be in his prime. Pro Football Weekly has him rated 25th at wide receiver. That's two spots above Driver. I don't think Thompson would give up a prime draft pick, but if the price was right, I think it's a possibility.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Jack of Denver - Why do you think the Packers seem so content with their receivers and running backs? I realize they want to build from the draft but if Green or Driver gets hurt, they could have the worst offense in the league. Does 15 million under the cap help them in any way?

A: Cliff Christl - I agree that they're not well fortified at either position. That's why I don't expect the Packers to make a big jump this year. Who's going to make plays? Who's going to score TDs? But I don't think the Packers are content with their situation. I think they realize that they're thin and the risk involved in counting so heavily on Green. But who's available? A team can only fill so many holes. There were a limited number of quality candidates available in the off-season. Terrell Owens and Edgerrin James were on the market. Would they have been worth the money and the risk involved? The NFL isn't Fantasy Football. Just because you have a need and want something doesn't mean you're going to be able to get it. Thompson spent a second-round draft pick on a wide receiver. Also a fourth. What more could he do? Draft two others in the first and third rounds. Let's be realistic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Charles of College Park, MD - Does Greg Jennings look polished enough to have a legitimate shot at the #2 WR job? Gardner and Ferguson have had and lost their respective chances to win a starting job before, so counting on either of them to help significantly at the position seems like a bad idea. You and others seemed impressed by his minicamp showing, but do you think Jennings has the intelligence and polish to crack the starting lineup and provide the impact that so few rookie WRs in this league do? Or will we have no idea until training camp is well under way?

A: Cliff Christl - I've been impressed with Jennings. He's quick. He looks fluid in and out of his cuts. He has quick hands. Seems to have sure hands. He might be their second best receiver. But I don't see him having a big impact this season. I think there's a ceiling there. I don't see him ever being a Terrell Owens or Chad Johnson. But it's hard to project those things. You never know.
Q: Matt of Rockford, IL - Cliff, I think the whole season will be depend on the play of the offensive line. Do you think there will be an improvement from last year with the O-line? They probably will start to rookies. How long will it take players to learn the "zone blocking" sceme?

A: Cliff Christl - I'm not a coach and I realize that the teams that have maintained continuity and the same systems have an advantage. But football isn't physics. If a player is good enough, he'll learn the system and produce. With two rookie guards in the lineup there will be some growing pains. The key will be whether they improve. There were growing pains with Clifton and Tauscher when they were rookies. But they just kept getting better and better. I think there's more talent to work with this year with Wells, Colledge and Spitz. I think Wells will be just as good as Flanagan at center at some point soon. Flanagan wasn't Dwight Stephenson or Mike Webster. He was just a real good, reliable player. I think Wells can be a good player. Colledge looks like an athlete. He should have a big upside. And Spitz really impressed me in the off-season practices. I think he could he be another guy like Tauscher: Just a good, solid player that can be counted on to not screw up down after down. And that's all that you really need out of an offensive lineman: Consistency.
Q: Dan of Golden Valley, MN - Cliff, thanks again for the chats. With all the talk of training camp, all I can think about is the Packer's viability in the NFL with revenue-sharing, collective bargaining agreements and commissioner search underway and under review. While the Packers are represented on key committees, and seem to be viewed as a "neutral" NFL entity to new/aggressive owners(Kraft, Jones,Snyder, etc.), what level of input to the commissioner selection process and comfort with that selection do the Packers figure to have at this point? (Training camp doesn't mean much if the financial stability of the franchise is threatened). Your thoughts and observations, please, on franchise viability to the "young turk" owners now in the NFL?

A: Cliff Christl - The new breed of owners doesn't care if Green Bay makes it or not. That's why the people who thought the Packers would still survive if they didn't do something about their stadium situation a few years back sounded like the town dunces. And there are a lot of those in Green Bay. Believe me. I've lived almost my entire life in the area. I had no quarrel with people who were opposed to spending tax money on a football stadium. But if they thought the Packers were going to survive without keeping up with the rest of the league from a stadium standpoint, they were kidding themselves. Anyway, I think the Packers are in good shape for the time being. I don't think they're big players in NFL circles, but I think Bob Harlan is a respected voice. I'm sure the Jerry Joneses and others have been impressed with the way the Packers have marketed their franchise. I'm sure they have a lot more admiration for how the Packers have done business compared to, say, Cincinnati or Buffalo or Phoenix. That said, the last round of stadiums that were built -- the cookie-cutter parks and the Teflon domes -- lasted 20 to 30 years. What I wonder is: Will Green Bay continue to help pay the freight for the Packers when the new Lambeau becomes outdated, perhaps as early as 2020 or so?
Q: Ed of Stevens Point - Cliff...first of all, I love your rules of the road!! My question is...how do you think Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera would have fit with the zone scheme?

A: Cliff Christl - They were good players and Wahle was a well-above average athlete for a guard. He probably would have been the prototype for a zone blocking guard. And I'm guessing Rivera would have adapated. But Rivera didn't play well last year for Dallas. He's at the end of the line. Life goes on.
Q: Sheetu Jain of Nashville, TN - What is the one thing or issue that you find the most inticing or intriguing as the team enters training camp. Is there anything that you are just a little extra interested in as you get ready to observe another camp? Thanks.

A: Cliff Christl - There are severe storms in the Milwaukee area, from what I understand, so my computer or our system is slow. Hopefully, we can work through this. I think I answered your question before. Who is going to make plays for the Packers? I think that will be the most interesting development of camp.
Q: JP of Orlando - Cliff, Of the NFC teams that failed to make the playoffs last year, which team(s) do you believe upgraded their roster enough to make the playoffs this year? Separately, as a Bike lover, have you been to Bike Week in Daytona?

A: Cliff Christl - New Orleans. Maybe Dallas. Maybe Arizona. Maybe the Giants. Haven't been to Daytona. Would love to go, but my work has prevented me from taking a vacation then.
Q: Vince of Midlothian, IL - How much does Charles Woodson help the Packers? Is he large upgrade over any other cornerback they have (except A. Harris)?

A: Cliff Christl - I think some people in the game and a lot of the national writers think his best years are behind him. I didn't see enough of him this off-season to get a feel. Wouldn't that be something if Carroll improved to the point this year where he was actually the better player? I'm still not sold on Carroll, but he looked good in the off-season workouts.
Q: Scott A of Minneapolis - Cliff - As only you can, please give us fans one true reason to be optimistic about 2006, and one "sure fire" reason to be pessimistic about 2006. Thanks in advance!

A: Cliff Christl - One good reason to be optimistic: Brett Favre came back and doesn't seem to have lost it yet. One good reason to be pessimistic: It's a team of mouse turds, not elephant turds.
Q: cory of No St Paul - First you're not nearly as smart as you think you are. Real easy to play devils advocate . What do you think of all the first round picks on the team?

A: Cliff Christl - I'm don't have any delusions that I'm a genius about football or anything else. I'm guessing you know a lot more. First-round picks on the roster include Aaron Rodgers, Charles Woodson, Ahmad Carroll, A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Ryan Pickett, Rod Gardner, Bubba Franks. That's eight unless I missed somebody. Let's start by counting how many played in the Pro Bowl last year? The number I come up with is zero. How many started more than half the games last season? Three? I realize Hawk wasn't in the league. But I don't see a Peyton Manning, a Randy Moss, a Walter Jones, a Steve Hutchinson, a Shaun Alexander, a Dwight Freeney, a Marcus Stroud, a Brian Urlacher, a Champ Bailey, a Troy Polamalu or any of the other standout No. 1s in the league. So I'm not terribly impressed. But what am I missing? I'm guessing you have the answers.
Q: Andy of Plover - My dad has always argued that a football team would be better off with a bunch of "try hard guys" rather than talented players with no motivation. Do you believe that Ted Thompson is taking this approach with rebuilding the Packers? Do you agree with this belief?

A: Cliff Christl - No. But I think most great players are try-hard players. I'd convince your dad of that. For example, Terrell Owens is a try-hard player. Javon Walker is a try-hard player. So was Mike McKenzie. What's your dad's idea of a try-hard player? Paul Ott Carruth. Not many players last in the NFL if they're not motivated.
Q: Michael Chang of Heaven Beach, TX - Cliff, Couple quickies for you. *Does the staff and TT really have confidence in Billy Cundiff? *Do you see either Ferguson or Gardner getting cut? *Why are we all expecting instant big things from WR Greg Jennings? Have folks looked at the rookie stats from Lofton, Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Javon Walker?

A: Cliff Christl - I think most general managers and coaches know what they have in players. They may not admit it publicly. But they know a good player from a bad one or they wouldn't be in the business. For the most part, the people I talk to in the game are realists. I think they're brutally honest with themselves. But you have to play with the cards your dealt. Again, the NFL isn't fantasy football. Could Ferguson or Gardner get cut? Possibly. I don't think either one has a roster spot cinched. I'd probably be more surprised if Ferguson got cut. As for Jennings, I could see him playing as a starter or No. 3 receiver and having a nice year for a rookie. Maybe 25 catches or so and a few TDs sprinkled in.
Q: Paul of Poynette, WI - Hey Cliff, Was just wondering if you know of any future plans for the perimeter of Lambeau Field beyond the South endzone area. Obviously, it has been left open for some future endeavor to assist the GBP coffers, otherwise, they would have filled it in with more luxury suites. The Packer organization is smart enough to plan ahead, which is only sound. Any informative speculation on that?

A: Cliff Christl - Haven't heard anything. I think they saved that area to build more boxes or some kind of lounge seating.
Q: Robert of Costa Mesa, CA - Hi Cliff, Great chats and road trip updates. I've had a question for some time that I haven't seen answered in the press. Two years ago Lovie Smith claimed he had the secret to beating Favre and the Pack. Was that secret the total use of the Tampa 2 defense? It seems Brett has really struggled with it in the past few years (struggles in Tampa Bay and the interception-plagued playoff game against the Rams a few years ago come immediately to mind...not to mention against the Bears last year.) Is it now just a coincidence that all three division opponents are using the Tampa 2 as a base defense? Is it possible that Favre's huge interception total last year is partly related to this?

A: Cliff Christl - Could be. It probably also had something to do with the fact that the Packers couldn't run the ball last year and didn't have receivers who could beat a gym class secondary, much less a cover two. Tampa Bay had great success with the cover two. It's a copycat league.
Q: kwed of dubuque, IA - Cliff, great to read about your travels--I've played in some of those stadiums. My question is this--What do you consider to be the worst off-season move by Green Bay(draft choice, free agent,re-signing, etc). I believe it to be the trading of Walker. Money and time would have healed that problem , yet we traded a once a decade receiver for seemingly very little.

A: Cliff Christl - I agree it was the biggest loss of the off-season. I don't think money or time would have healed that problem. It was either live with what figured to be a bitter and maybe even season-long distraction or make a trade. I think it was a tough call, but I wouldn't criticize it. Based on what I had heard this past off-season, the players now figure to have more of an upper hand in their disputes with management. I believe that was a result of the Terrell Owens suspension last year.
Q: wozz of big flats WI - how fast do you think the public/fans will cool on the packers this season,i see it about half way through the 1st half of the opener against the bears,,i think thats all its gonna take before they start calling ted thompson an idiot an new mike a rookie,,so in short ,how long before the season is considerd a wash?

A: Cliff Christl - All I think is that it's going to take time to rebuild the franchise and fans are never patient.
Q: Jeff of Mercer, Wi - Cliff..........as much as I love this team and also Brett Favre and would love to see him ride off with at least a winning season (9-7?) so many things would have to go right, it seems impossible for that to happen...in fact, I think this season is setting up as a possible huge train wreck...my question is, what do you think will happen within the organization if this team goes 4-12 or worse again?...any changes, or business as usual and continue to follow the Ted Thompson plan?

A: Cliff Christl - I'm assuming that Thompson would be given more time to rebuild.
Q: Tim of Batavia - My three keys to success this year are 1) Robert Ferguson producing 70 catches 2) Ahman Green returning to 2004 health 3) The two rookie (young) guards playing like Logan Mankins did a year ago. What three or so breakthru players do you see as key to a successful year?

A: Cliff Christl - If your definition of successful is making the playoffs, I don't see it happening. But Ahman Green is the key. He has to return to form or somebody else has to emerge as a 1,200-, 1,400-yard rusher. You can't win in the NFL if you can't run the ball, even though it's a passing league.
Q: Todd of Darboy, USA - I know that Brett stopped drinking years ago after his pill issue. Is Brett allowed to drink alcohol by NFL rules? And if so does he?

A: Cliff Christl - I don't believe he drinks alcohol anymore. At least, I've seen him or others close to him quoted to that effect.
Q: Pete of Albuquerque - Cliff: If you had to guess: Charles Woodson, a pro bowl veteran with gas still in the tank, or the second coming of Joe Johnson?

A: Cliff Christl - Somewhere in between.
Q: Thomas E. Tumm of East De Pere, Wisc. - The success of this year's team will be made in the offensive line, which is why I am so pessimistic on the Packer's chances. The guard situation scares the begeeses out of me. Why in the Wide Wide World of Sports didn't Thompson go out and get a veteran guard? Guards are the glue that hold the line together. How bad will this hurt us?

A: Cliff Christl - Guards are among the lowest paid starters in the league because they're among the least valued. How many starting guards did the Packers go through during the Wolf/Holmgren years? They turned them over almost from year to year for a time there and never skipped a beat. It ain't the 1960s and the game no longer revolves around the Lombardi sweep.
Q: Lil' Jimmy Schughes of Paya Lake, Wisc. - Any chance on Grady Jackson coming back to add to the weight of the line? It seems you need big big boys at the tackle spots, and he would be able to fill that role? I am surprised he hasn't latched on anywhere? Why not?

A: Cliff Christl - Doesn't that tell you something? Why in the world would you want the Packers to sign a player that nobody else wants? What kind of logic is that? By the way, they signed 328-pound Kenderick Allen in the off-season and have listed him as a starting DT on their depth chart. And Mike McCarthy said today that he approved the depth chart.
Q: Leon Huvelmeyer of Commie, Illinois - Cliff, often you read about the hooligan type behavior which takes place at sporting events. Drunks and fights come to mind as regular occurances at Soldier Field. But how do the fans in Green Bay really compare to the rest of the league in this regard? And have you seen any changes over the years?

A: Cliff Christl - Sorry, I don't sit in the stands.
Q: Gary Mulhollon of Florence, SC. - Cliff; It will be a shame if the difference between a winning and losing season for the Packers ends up to be special teams again. Do you think they are going to stand pat with what they have to choose from now?

A: Cliff Christl - Special teams were the difference between winning and losing last year? Didn't the Packers finish 30th in rushing? Didn't their qb throw 29 interceptions? Didn't they line up with runts like Antonio Chatman at wide receiver? What did any of that have to do with special teams? The Packers tried to sign Adam Vinatieri and he chose another team. That's life in the NFL. The Packers also blew it when they drafted B.J. Sander. Trading up to draft a punter doesn't happen every day, but missing on draft picks also is life in the NFL. The Packers are starting camp with Billy Cundiff and Jon Ryan as their No. 1 kicker and punter. If they don't pan out, they'll have to look elsewhere. Again, you can't fill every hole. I think some fans think this all works like an eight-team fantasy league where you've got your pick of players from 32 teams.
Q: Brody of Minneapolis - Hi, Cliff, do you have any inkling how McCarthy's training camp will differ from Sherman's?

A: Cliff Christl - Sounds like practices figure to be a little shorter. There won't be separate special teams practices. But based on what McCarthy said today, there will be very little hitting and he won't be wearing his players into the ground. That was pretty much Sherman's approach and the approach that most successful coaches take.
Q: Dave H. of Peoria,Il. - How many new bodies do you see in the line starting rotations? Do you think they'll hold up for the season? Any with the possibility of becoming a difference-maker this year? Thanks, Cliff.

A: Cliff Christl - Offensively, they figure to have two new guards. Wells will move to center. If Ahman Green blows out his quad again, they'll have a new running back. But that could be almost anyone. They'll rotate their DTs, although Pickett and Allen might be new starters. Both outside linebackers figure to be new, including A.J. Hawk. Woodson and Manuel are ticketed to start in the secondary. Woodson had the talent at one time to be an impact player. And Hawk better have that kind of talent or he'll be a mistake. But will any of them have a big impact this year? I think all those players could make the Packers better in small ways. I don't see any of them turning the team around.
Q: Bob Nelson of Naples Florida - Assume the O line is good and Green returns to form, can the Packers win with the current wide receivers group?

A: Cliff Christl - Possibly.
Q: Digger of Andover, MN - Hi Cliff; I read Bob McGinn's article on the D-line today. This is an area where perhaps Sherman did his worst as GM. What a slob patrol. I know you used to really rip Washington. Any reason for optimism among the fresh faces?

A: Cliff Christl - It wasn't a terrible group last year. There's a serious shortage of pass rushers, but there are some, good solid rotation players. That's what a lot of teams depend on. There are more mistakes in the D-line than any other area. Go look at how some of the other teams in the league fared in the draft with D-linemen during Sherman's years as GM. Dominating defensive linemen and great pass rushers are rare and hard to find. There are only so many in the league.
Q: gene of chicago - Cliff, thanks for taking my question.I know that you believe in building via the draft, but I think that even if this years draft class produces ten solid players (a big if) the Packers are still very thin in areas such as interior offensive line, defensive end, kicking game, possibly running back. I know that pickings are slim at these positions, but shouldnt Ted be bringing in guys for tryouts to improve the depth?

A: Cliff Christl - At this point, your roster is pretty much set. You might claim a player or two on waivers during camp. But there aren't any sure-things out there now. The key for every team is developing its own draft picks. That'll be the key for the Packers over the next few years. There are no quick fixes in the NFL.
Q: KG of Illinois - From what I've read about using a zone blocking scheme in a running game, it requires running banks with good vision to find the hole and make that first burst through the line. I've never thought of Gado or Davenport having exceptional vision. I think Green does but I've also read that he's still walking with a limp from his surgery so who knows when he might be ready to go full bore. In Denver, where the scheme was first made popular, it seems all the RBs that were successful there (Davis, Anderson, Portis etc.) were drafted by the Broncos to fit the system, whereas the current stable of Packer RBs were not. In your opinion, do the Packers have a RB with the necessary vision to be successful in the new scheme, and if so, who?

A: Cliff Christl - Green, if he's healthy. I think Gado showed better vision the more he played last year. But there's more to it than just vision.
Q: Ty of Milwaukee - Hi Cliff, From all the preseason reports along with our off-season moves (or lack there of) we look to be one of the worst teams in the league. Wanted to get your thoughts on what you think expectations should be for this obvious rebuilding year or years. I can appreciate what Ted Thompson is trying to do but this is starting to look like a three year plan if we are going to rebuild mainly through the draft.(let me clarify that I really liked what we did this year in the draft and I believe Ted will improve this club dramtically in a few years) I know Ted walked into this thing with a roster full of crap via Sherman so I feel like we have to give him some time to do his own thing. I think he is also in the worst PR nightmare anyone could imagine having to deal with Brett Favre coming back this year when in reality it makes no sense. I don't think you can tarnish what Brett has done over his career but he is going to take a beating by the media as well as opposing defenses this year. I think it could be the worst year of his career. Not even Favre in his hay day could carry this offense on his back. It's sad to me that it is coming down to this. Can you help a depressed Packer Backer with anything I can focus on to remain positive this season..? Is this the year to just focus on my football fanatasy team. (with no Packers on it)...:(

A: Cliff Christl - I think if it takes only three years for Thompson to turn this team around to the point where it's a legitimate Super Bowl contender, he'll have done a remarkable job. With Favre, they could maybe flirt with 6-10 or even .500 or maybe even a little better if Ahman Green returns to his 2,003 form. But I think there's a one in a hundred chance of that, if that. And I see no way for them to challenge for the Super Bowl. I'd suggest to you: Come to grips with reality and you seem to be doing that. Watch for little signs of progress and be happy with them. But don't get caught up in a Dream World where you think one or two free agents is going to make the difference or rail about how the Packers haven't filled every hole in the last six months. In the NFL, when a team needs to be rebuilt, it usually takes closer to six years than six months.
Q: Matt of Chicago - Good to see you back Cliff. I've wondering if you can give me insight as to why the Pack resigned Henderson in the offseason and let Longwell walk. I absolutely love how Hendy has played and respect him, but he's on his last legs. He's basically not much more than a 3rd down checkdown target for Brett. Plus, McCarthy has made it clear the offense doesn't require a big blocking FB (which is no longer his forte anyway). So why did the Pack give Hendy the money instead of Longwell, when Henderson's position is of such little imporance? There's something to be said about loyalty, but Ted Thompson doesn't strike me as that guy. I think Pack fans will be missing Longwell big-time this year when Cundiff misses those 40 yarders into the wind at Lambeau.

A: Cliff Christl - I think Longwell got more money, although I don't have the figures here. And I think Longwell wanted to play in good weather or with a dome team.
Q: Reed of Madison - If it turns out that Hodge can only play in the middle and they don't want to move Barnett, do you think the Packers would use any 3-4 packages to get them both on the field?

A: Cliff Christl - McCarthy said today that what they're going to do schematically this season has already been installed and I assume that he was talking about defense, as well as offense. And I don't recall seeing any 3-4 stuff in the off-season practices. I saw more nickel in passing situations with two linebackers, but I'm assuming that would be to keep both Hawk and Barnett on the field. If Hodge contributes on special teams that'll be a significant contribution for a third-round draft pick. But, then again, he might still wind up at strong-side backer, although I'd be surprised at this point.
Q: Michael Young of Jersey - If the Lions do indeed cut Michael Williams as reported on ESPN radio earlier this week would you as Packers GM bring him in for a workout?

A: Cliff Christl - Sure. You want to look at as many players as you can. But if he can't help the Lions what are his chances of helping anyone else?
Q: Mike of Birmingham, AL - As someone who has been around the team a long time, I am curious to ask you for a comparison of this team to the 1992 Packers. The '92 team finished 9-7 with less talent than this 2006 team. That year, Vince Workman gained 641 yards behind a more experienced but less talented line that this year. Brett Favre was younger, but more prone to mistakes. The big difference on offense was Sterling Sharpe (108 catches) compared to Donald Driver. The defense of '92 featured Davey, Jurkovic, Brock, Brown, Koonce, Holland, Noble, Paup, Butler, Cecil, Buckley, Mitchell. The 2006 defense should be much better. While it is possible to point out that this team had very good players (Butler, Bennett, Brooks), these players did not really begin to produce until after '92. The biggest difference between '92 and '06 on paper is Sharpe (and people tend to forget how good he really was). Given the bad national reviews of this years team, it does not seem impossible that the '06 team could post a winning record. Your thoughts?

A: Cliff Christl - The biggest difference between this team and '92 was that the '92 team had a young, talented quarterback who was rapidly progressing to the point where he would soon be one of the greatest in the history of the game and the '06 Packers have a 36-year old qb who is still good but in decline. There's a world of difference there.
Q: Mike of Coon Rapids - Cliff, The media is reporting that it is "scary" that the Packers are starting the season with two rookies at guard. How much scarier is starting two rookies at guard vs. starting two rookies at tackle? If I recall, the two rookie tacles went 7-3. Grant it, they had better personal surrounding them, but they were a second round pick and a seventh round pick. Isn't that scarrier, two tackles, than starting a second pick and a third round pick? It also may show Ron Wolf's brilliance, first in drafting Clifton, not a position of need at the time, and second getting Tauscher in the seventh round. Hopefully, TT can follow suite. Thank you.

A: Cliff Christl - I agree. If they're players, they'll make mistakes, but they'll keep getting better and be more than adequate. In '96, the Packers won a Super Bowl with two second-year guards, Timmerman and Taylor. And they were solid players, but no better than that.
Q: John Dickmann of Bremerton, WA - Ever the optimist, let me believe the Pack may actually have a shot the playoffs this season. To make this happen, TT may needs to acquire player(s) by trade and/or cast offs from another team. What positions are most likely to be open for replacement???

A: Cliff Christl - That's not going to happen. At this stage, you're not going to trade for players or find castoffs who are going to make an immediate impact. Could the Packers make the playoffs? Most teams have a shot at the playoffs. But if the Packers made it, I think it would only slow the rebuilding process. I'm not so sure that they wouldn't benefit more from a 2-14 finish. Good night.

© 2005, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. All rights reserved. Produced by Journal

ahaha
07-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Cliff Cristl can be a serious momo sometimes. Six years to rebuild? Has he been watching football the last 30 years. Carolina went from winning 1 game, to an appearence in the Super Bowl within two years. With all the draft picks the pack have had in the last two years, its not that unreasonable to hope they could be a powerhouse by 07 or 08.
I do like some of his critical analysis, but he is way to pessimistic. He jumps down the throat of anyone trying to be opptimistic about this year.

RashanGary
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
A: Cliff Christl - I think if it takes only three years for Thompson to turn this team around to the point where it's a legitimate Super Bowl contender, he'll have done a remarkable job. With Favre, they could maybe flirt with 6-10 or even .500 or maybe even a little better if Ahman Green returns to his 2,003 form. But I think there's a one in a hundred chance of that, if that. And I see no way for them to challenge for the Super Bowl. I'd suggest to you: Come to grips with reality and you seem to be doing that. Watch for little signs of progress and be happy with them. But don't get caught up in a Dream World where you think one or two free agents is going to make the difference or rail about how the Packers haven't filled every hole in the last six months. In the NFL, when a team needs to be rebuilt, it usually takes closer to six years than six months.

I think it's reality. You have to be patient, lay the base and eventually your window open. With Hawk and Collins as potential playmakers the Packers have a shot with Favre back for one more year. Jennings could be a legit weapon opposite Driver in his second year. I see Jennings having one of the better years for a rookie WR. He's jumping into a new system with a wide open oppertunity. He works hard, has the natural WR skill and alot of physical talent. I don't see anything about his game that says slow start.

mraynrand
07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Yes the 6 year rebuilding estimate is horseshit. Many teams rebuild these days and collapse again in a six year span. The key to winning is getting a few absolutely blue chip guys (maybe just two or three) and have solid guys at every other position.

Cristl also wrote "In '96, the Packers won a Super Bowl with two second-year guards, Timmerman and Taylor."

That was wrong. Timmerman was a second year guy, but Taylor was in his third year, being drafted in the first round in 1994 (Craig Newsome was the 1995 #1 pick and John Michaels was the #1 1997 pick).

RashanGary
07-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I think it's a little exaggerated but it's not gonna happen this year. With Favre, it could next year. I think 6 years is dramatic, but the basic theory that it generally doesn't happen over night is a good one. Once Favre leaves, it will take that long.

Sometimes you just have a rash of injuries and then teh next year you are 100%. I don't think injuries were the bulk of our problems. I think an aging, never replenished roster was the real issue. Also TT stripped just about every one of Sherms favorite vet players. It was just a complete change and the GB Packers basically started over 2 years before Favre was ready to stop playing.

I like the new direction. I think with a little luck in next years draft like a RB and mabe a few other pieces the Packers should be very competitive with just the growth of their own players.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Look on the bight side,

"It's a team of mouse turds, not elephant turds" :neutral:

Willard
07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Look on the bight side,

"It's a team of mouse turds, not elephant turds" :neutral:

As my Noni always used to say: "Its not the size of the turd in the fight, its the size of the fight in the turd that matters".

She was a wise old soul.........

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
Christl sounds surprisingly optimistic about the O-line.

Lare
07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
I also disagree with Christl's assertation that it takes 6-years to rebuild a team in the current NFL. If that's the case, only a handful of players on the present roster will be around when the Pack finally is successful again.

However, I'll agree that it can take that long if you have the wrong man making the personnel decisions.

privatepacker
07-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I think the issue isn't time but performance level from a group. Cliff is looking at taking an OL and making super bowl quality in 6 years. That may be the case but adding a player or two here from FA and you can get there sooner. The bigger issue is the playmakers. You need them and that takes time to either develop or aquire. If the current OL and DL continues to grow, in three years they will be very good. At the same time we will need some RB and WR to move themselves into the top 10 to seriously make a playoff run. That's assuming Favre stays, which I doubt, or Rodgers shows he can be a difference maker.
Looking at the big picture it could take 6 years but who knows which players become stars and others bust. TT with his draft strategy, will move that timetable up. Our team got old and wasn't able to perform as they did early in their career. Great example was our OL from 2 years ago. Good players and they performed pretty good. Now look at last year. Rivera I really liked him but once he signed w/ Dallas, got hurt on a treadmill and wasn't very good at all. Flannigan, hurt and did OK but not much else. The only two players that were still going strong last year were Taucher and Wahle and of course Wahle wasn't on our team. So it may take some time to weed out the old stars to make room for their replacements in order to get to the next level.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Actually, I enjoyed reading his column this time. Not as much baloney.