PDA

View Full Version : I Call BS on JSO

Smidgeon
12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
I know this is related to the Favre-Chillyl thing, but it occurred in an article about AR's ability to audible in McCarthy's system (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/80034692.html).

The paragraph in question is as follows with the specific part bolded (by me):

"The beef Favre has had with Vikings coach Brad Childress is reportedly due, in part, to the quarterback's frustration over not being given enough freedom to check into lower-risk plays. Childress reportedly prefers to go with what is called in the huddle, and Favre wants to use his vast experience to make adjustments."

If I recall all the reports from ESPN, PFT, Star Tribune, whatever, the beef wasn't that Favre wanted to check into lower risk plays, it's that he was checking into more aggressive plays. He checks out of runs into throws, checks into long touchdown strikes, checks into plays just to stick it to TT. That isn't "freedom to check into lower-risk plays", that's "freedom to do whatever the hell he wants".

So why did the JSO use this wording when it seems to be the only media outlet (so far) who's saying Favre wanted to audible to lower-risk plays?

mraynrand
12-24-2009, 08:08 AM
For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

Smidgeon
12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
For now let's just enjoy the success that our team has while Aaron is our quarterback without taking even more shots at the last guy who ran the show.

That wasn't a shot at BF. This is questioning why the JSO wrote it that way when the information out there says something else is happening. BF won 3 MVPs and a superbowl being aggressive. It's in the past. I don't have to like him now though. I don't have to like what he's turned into the last couple years. And I especially don't have to like him because he's a Viking. Fortunately, if I wanted to, I live in a country where I can vent and I can question and I can take shots at the last guy who ran the show. It's called being a fan.

gbgary
12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
yup...sounds like bs to me too. he didn't get the gunslinger moniker from checking down into lower risk plays.

mraynrand
12-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Favre checked down into a lot of sacks against Carolina. Hopefully he will do the same against the Bears.

pbmax
12-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I was speculated during and immediately after the game that his last deep sideline throw in the first Packer game was his audible. Did anyone see that confirmed after the game?

Smidgeon
12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
I was speculated during and immediately after the game that his last deep sideline throw in the first Packer game was his audible. Did anyone see that confirmed after the game?

Not immediately after the game, but reports have come out recently that him audibling was the case.

Fritz
12-26-2009, 12:50 PM
This is about the JSO reporting more than it is about Favre.

That newspaper often just screws up, period.

MJZiggy
12-26-2009, 01:55 PM
This is about the JSO reporting more than it is about Favre.

That newspaper often just screws up, period.

Often is an understatement here, love.