PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Like Josh Bell

Smidgeon
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_ziemer/article_c03af427-5bcd-55e8-b7df-c7b13beba963.html

Odds on him becoming the next Tramon Williams on the team?

mission
12-24-2009, 10:34 AM
I called it on another forum that he's our darkhorse in the secndary despite giving up that touchdown. I like him and think he'll develop into 2-3 cb eventually

mraynrand
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I called it on another forum that he's our darkhorse in the secndary despite giving up that touchdown. I like him and think he'll develop into 2-3 cb eventually

That wasn't bad coverage on that play. It took a perfect throw and catch to beat it. He was supposed to cover underneath, with Bigby over the top, but Bigby was nowhere to be seen until it was all over. You could kind of tell he (and the receiver) ran along casually, like the receiver wasn't going to be part of the play - and probably wouldn't have been had Ben gotten clobbered by Jolly.

packers11
12-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Of course i'll give the guy another chance. But damn, how do you let that happen? I think I could have played better corner on that play. Although there wasn't a safety on top, with a 10 yard cushion already. LOOK BACK FOR THE FKING BALL. If you just look back thats defiantly a swat down... TECHNIQUE was defiantly an issue...

If you watch the replay. Bigby is supposed to be there. But besides that, look how he starts to slow down near the endzone and never looks back... I'm only 20 years old and I could probably make that play 9/10 times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq3XyxcjF20

Smidgeon
12-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Of course i'll give the guy another chance. But damn, how do you let that happen? I think I could have played better corner on that play. Although there wasn't a safety on top, with a 10 yard cushion already. LOOK BACK FOR THE FKING BALL. If you just look back thats defiantly a swat down... TECHNIQUE was defiantly an issue...

If you watch the replay. Bigby is supposed to be there. But besides that, look how he starts to slow down near the endzone and never looks back... I'm only 20 years old and I could probably make that play 9/10 times...

You mean looking back for the ball like Jarrett Bush did on the first pass of the game? It isn't quite that simple. I think his coverage was a heck of a lot better than Bush's and though he was inside instead of outside (which is correctable), he was definitely on the receiver's hip in coverage which I think is a natural talent. Even though he was out of position, that ball had to be perfect to be completed.

denverYooper
12-24-2009, 10:55 AM

He looks back in time to try to make a play. Looks like his left foot slips some and doesn't let him get a good push up into the ball's path.

If anything, that vid makes me wonder what the hell Bigby was doing.

RashanGary
12-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I've given up on Bush. Underwood is a complete wildcard and this guy is too. He's really behind the 8-ball with learning the defense. He and Underwood both have a chance. I guess I'd bet on Bell if I had to pick between the two as well. Maybe he can get up to speed over the next two weeks and play servicable in the playoffs.

mraynrand
12-24-2009, 11:02 AM

He looks back in time to try to make a play. Looks like his left foot slips some and doesn't let him get a good push up into the ball's path.

If anything, that vid makes me wonder what the hell Bigby was doing.

True about Bigby. This pic makes me wonder what the official was doing:

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/JollyChristmas.jpg

denverYooper
12-24-2009, 11:13 AM
That really was one hell of a fun game, despite the outcome.

I like Mike Tomlin.

Maxie the Taxi
12-24-2009, 11:54 AM
I thought I saw Bell's left foot slip a bit when I was watching the replay during the game. So the bad field had something to do with it too.

But, based on the article, the guy seems to be intelligent, dedicated and old school attitude-wise. I endorse him. :)

I like Underwood better because of his speed and size, but Bell is sure to make the most of what he has.

cheesner
12-24-2009, 02:26 PM
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/tom_ziemer/article_c03af427-5bcd-55e8-b7df-c7b13beba963.html

Odds on him becoming the next Tramon Williams on the team?

With his attitude and dedication, we can expect big things from him.

KYPack
12-25-2009, 07:59 PM

You mean looking back for the ball like Jarrett Bush did on the first pass of the game? It isn't quite that simple. I think his coverage was a heck of a lot better than Bush's and though he was inside instead of outside (which is correctable), he was definitely on the receiver's hip in coverage which I think is a natural talent. Even though he was out of position, that ball had to be perfect to be completed.

You are 100% right, Smidge. He was right in his hip and timed his break pretty well, too. That was a 1 in a million, perfect pass. That pass will beat you & there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Well, you could always step on his ankle on the break, but they call that shit pretty frequently.

He appears to be a pretty good kid, but it's real early in the process. He seems to have more instincts than Lee or Underwood, fer instance.

Smidgeon
12-25-2009, 09:26 PM

You are 100% right, Smidge. He was right in his hip and timed his break pretty well, too. That was a 1 in a million, perfect pass. That pass will beat you & there ain't nothing you can do about it.

Well, you could always step on his ankle on the break, but they call that shit pretty frequently.

He appears to be a pretty good kid, but it's real early in the process. He seems to have more instincts than Lee or Underwood, fer instance.

I don't think you can say for certain whether Underwood or Lee lack instincts. They haven't seen the field enough to say.

Badgerinmaine
12-25-2009, 10:03 PM

I like Mike Tomlin.

I would have had a very time saying either within 24 hours of the end of the game--it was a total heartbreaker, but yes, I agree.

Scott Campbell
12-25-2009, 10:34 PM

I like Mike Tomlin.

I would have had a very time saying either within 24 hours of the end of the game--it was a total heartbreaker, but yes, I agree.

If you have to lose a game, that's the way to do it.

channtheman
12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
We all laud Woodson but go look at the Chicago game. He got beat twice on throws like Bell did.

digitaldean
12-26-2009, 09:12 AM
That last play had everything go wrong:
1.) Not looking back for the ball
2.) No help from Bigby
3.) No help from the refs where the Pittsburgh O-lineman nearly ripped the jersey off on a horrible hold
4.) NO (*&&!(_)#%_ BLITZING or additional pass rush help.

It's not all Bell's fault. Yeah, it took a perfect throw. But Ben had the TIME and the holds (points 3 & 4) to make that throw. If he got hurried in any way, that TD doesn't happen.

Brandon494
12-26-2009, 09:16 AM
We all laud Woodson but go look at the Chicago game. He got beat twice on throws like Bell did.

Its no defense for a perfect pass and great job by Wallace keeping his feet in bounds. I still have more faith in Josh Bell then I do in Bush.

CaliforniaCheez
12-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Say what you want but it should not have come down to the play.

There are many others who had a bad play during the game. The missed Crosby field goal comes to mind as well as some Jarrett Bush plays and a few penalties especially 2 on Chillar.

The final play only gets attention because it is the last play of the game.

Fritz
12-26-2009, 12:43 PM

Hey, if you really could make that play 9 out of 10 times, and you're 20 years old, then you must be a starting cornerback for a big division one program, right?

packers11
12-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey, if you really could make that play 9 out of 10 times, and you're 20 years old, then you must be a starting cornerback for a big division one program, right?

:lol: Yea I play for USC. :wink:

But in all seriousness. If his assignment was not to let the play go in front of him, he has a good 3-4 seconds to adjust to the ball and make a play. Now that field might be a piece of shit and he might of slipped but I guarantee you if he played his assignment they way the coaches wanted him to, we would be blaming Bigby not Bell...

And yes, If I was on the field, I probably would have swatted that down, or let him score behind me (bigby's fault) . You don't have to cover that much field when your in the endzone, let alone, the last play of the friken game...

Tyrone Bigguns
12-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Stop digging. The hole is large enough.