View Full Version : Harris, Woodson join fold

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Harris, Woodson join fold
Both cornerbacks miss off-season work

By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com

Posted: July 28, 2006

Green Bay - After a long off-season marked by their absences, cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson rejoined the rest of their Green Bay teammates Friday night for the first day of training camp, with Harris eager to put contract talk behind him and Woodson convinced he made the right choice to skip voluntary work and practices.

Cornerback Al Harris wants more money, but wasn't going to hold out of training camp to get it.

Both missed all of the Packers' voluntary minicamp work in Green Bay, which included a short minicamp in May and a four-week-long June camp implemented by the new coaching staff.

Harris, who said he had attended only mandatory camps the last three summers anyway, had hoped his six-year, $18.635 million deal from September 2004 would be reworked this summer. When it wasn't, he decided not to hold out and cause a fuss.

"Would you like to make more money at your job? OK," Harris said. "I'm here. I love my job, and this will be the last time we talk about this whole thing until it's time to talk about it."

Woodson, the Packers' new $52 million free agent, said he simply thought he could better prepare himself independently for the upcoming season from a physical standpoint, saying there was plenty of practice time in training camp to prepare for the season from a schematic standpoint.

Rather than train here with the team, Woodson worked out in Houston, concentrating mostly on running.

"Sprinting. Distance. 100-degree heat. I challenge you to do it a little bit and you let me know how intense it is," Woodson said. "Working out in that heat, it gets you prepared for anything. I just did a lot of running. I did 'DB' drills, but you're going to get all the drills you need when you come to training camp. I just made sure my body was all right. You saw a lot of guys out there cramping today. I don't have any problems."

Both cornerbacks were immediately installed in the starting defense, Harris on the right and Woodson on the left. Harris' legs cramped up a couple of times but he completed the practice. Secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said neither showed any lag from the missed time.

"They're here now and they're both in excellent shape," Schottenheimer said. "I feel good about where they are. Woodson came in here in good playing weight, Al's always in great shape, and we move forward."

When asked how new coach Mike McCarthy felt about Woodson's decision to work out on his own, Woodson said, "I don't think any coach would have been OK with it, but we just, on both of our parts, had to accept what it is."

Woodson and Harris are nine-year veterans, and they both felt strongly that they hadn't fallen out of step with any of their teammates. Even though the coaching staff installed a lot of their plays in the June organized team activities in order to make training camp smoother, neither Woodson nor Harris saw any need to catch up.

"I don't think everybody else is that far ahead of me," Woodson said. "We're not going to put much more in from the first minicamp that I was here. Everything today, I knew it. Today is behind me, no mistakes."

Harris, who has played for a different defensive coordinator every year he has been in Green Bay, wasn't lost on the first day, either, and seemed insulted that it was even conceivable that he missed critical time.

"I already know the scheme," Harris said. "We're running the same schemes as last year, so I'm good. The playbook hasn't changed; they're running the same scheme. So, I left here caught up, you know what I mean?"

Said Woodson: "I understand how everybody feels about me not being there. (Or theories that) I can't lead the team, this and that. It's not true. I felt like what I was doing was getting me in the best possible shape physically to come in here and play this game. I mean, what more can you ask of a player?"

From the July 29, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

jack's smirking revenge
07-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, at least they're here now. I like Woodson's attitude, focusin on his body in the offseason. His body is what typically gives out during the season.

I was more struck by the reminder that Kurt Schottenhemier is our DB coach. Harris and Woodson better be at the top of their games...

tyler

oregonpackfan
07-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the article, Woodbuck. As a Packer fan, all I can say is "Whew!" I'm glad we do not have another Mike McKenzie type of situation.

Let the practices and games begin!

RashanGary
07-29-2006, 12:10 PM
We'll see how it turns out. I hope this ass hole doesn't pull this shit every off season.

I know why Thompson doesn't like to dip into FA. You never really know what you're getting as far as how their head is screwed on.

Willard
07-29-2006, 12:27 PM
We'll see how it turns out. I hope this ass hole doesn't pull this shit every off season.

I know why Thompson doesn't like to dip into FA. You never really know what you're getting as far as how their head is screwed on.

Of course he will pull this every season! Woodson's viewpoint is that simply because he received a monster contract from the Packers does not mean he needs to be a visible and vocal veteran leader of the Packers during the offseason. He believes that performing on the field is leadership enough. The best the fans can hope for is that he turns into a great player on gameday and a good teammate in the locker room.

Don't look for Chuck to volunteer to ride the Packer bus through rural Wisconsin next summer because he will be back in H-town....again. Count on it.

ahaha
07-29-2006, 12:28 PM
Al Harris has absolutely no leverage in his contract dispute. He did what he could, and got people thinking about a new deal. Now he's in camp, playing the good soldier, and hoping for something at the end of this year or next off season.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
...Don't look for Chuck to volunteer to ride the Packer bus through rural Wisconsin next summer because he will be back in H-town....again. Count on it.

This does not sound like the GB Character guys we were after in FA and the draft. Did TT get fleeced on the Woodson deal??

Willard
07-29-2006, 02:44 PM
...Don't look for Chuck to volunteer to ride the Packer bus through rural Wisconsin next summer because he will be back in H-town....again. Count on it.

This does not sound like the GB Character guys we were after in FA and the draft. Did TT get fleeced on the Woodson deal??

I don't know if TT thought he was getting a LeRoy Butler type leader. My guess is no because that has never been Woodson's reputation. Not everybody is going to be as team-centric, and community-friendly as Donald Driver.

I really believe there are 3 reasons TT brought in Woodson:
(1) He thinks Woodson immediately improves the defense
(2) To show Packer players that he wants to win
(3) To dispel the notion that no top-tier FA will ever sign to play with the Packers.

#3 is perhaps the most interesting. It has been inferred that TT's talks with several big-name FAs went nowhere because the players had no interest in playing in Green Bay. The perception (if shared by a good chunk of NFL players) is absolute poison for the Packers' franchise.

By landing Woodson, TT showed he was able to bring in a charismatic Heismann Trophy winning, Pro-bowl caliber player. As long as Woodson has a successful experience in Green Bay (i.e., the resurrection of his career back to "elite" status) it will be worth the money because success breeds success and other FAs will sign in the future.

The fact that Woodson has not taken an opportunity to show leadership while unfortunate is not the end of the world so long as he excels as an individual contributor at a high level.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Good takes, Willard.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2006, 10:21 PM
I would add a 4th reason: the packer had cap room and Woodson was the best option they could attract in FA.