PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 (or 10) Current NFL Coaches

MOBB DEEP
12-24-2009, 06:19 PM
ESPN 1st Take had a segment where skip bayless and rob parker ranked current coaches. Not sure if it's ever been done here before and im curious about ppl's opinions

In this era of schemes being nearly (if not more) important than players (Barnett shold b count his blessings) coaches really impact the game more than in the 90s in my estimation...

1. cheater belichick
2. rugged fisher
3. underrated wisenhunt
4. my nig tomlin
5. starvin marvin lewis

honorable mentions - fatboy mccarthy (bayless ranked him # 4!) and payton

Badgerinmaine
12-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Marvin Lewis has had a great year this season in Cincinnati, but he was lucky not to have been fired before this year. As for Skip Bayless, I am convinced that he will argue absolutely anything that he thinks will get a rise out of people and allow him to bellow like a looney.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/user_pictures/0001/6945/skip_bayless_profile_page.jpg

Bretsky
12-24-2009, 11:50 PM
ESPN 1st Take had a segment where skip bayless and rob parker ranked current coaches. Not sure if it's ever been done here before and im curious about ppl's opinions

In this era of schemes being nearly (if not more) important than players (Barnett shold b count his blessings) coaches really impact the game more than in the 90s in my estimation...

1. cheater belichick
2. rugged fisher
3. underrated wisenhunt
4. my nig tomlin
5. starvin marvin lewis

honorable mentions - fatboy mccarthy (bayless ranked him # 4!) and payton

Top Coach in the NFL is

1. Bill Bellichek. I'm not sure anybody is close and I don't know how to order the others.........but I'll roll with

2/3/4/5 in no order

Jeff Fischer
Andy Reid
Tom Coughlin
Mike Tomlin

Smidgeon
12-25-2009, 01:43 PM
What order did ESPN rank them? You said McCarthy was #4...

pbmax
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
The Wizzenator's inclusion on this list is laughably short-sited. That would put such coaching luminaries as Brian Billick, Jim Fassel and possibly Bill Callahan in a position to be included in other years. This is not a list of the best coaches. Its a list of coaches that have been in the Super Bowl and haven't subsequently embarrassed themselves. Marvin Lewis' slot boggles the mind, but might be the most imaginative choice.

Using the Super Bowl as a qualification for the current best coaches is meaningless. Coaches who are smart and do the right things are not necessarily in a position to go to a Super Bowl. This list is almost more of a franchise award.

KYPack
12-25-2009, 07:30 PM
The Wizzenator's inclusion on this list is laughably short-sited. That would put such coaching luminaries as Brian Billick, Jim Fassel and possibly Bill Callahan in a position to be included in other years. This is not a list of the best coaches. Its a list of coaches that have been in the Super Bowl and haven't subsequently embarrassed themselves. Marvin Lewis' slot boggles the mind, but might be the most imaginative choice.

Using the Super Bowl as a qualification for the current best coaches is meaningless. Coaches who are smart and do the right things are not necessarily in a position to go to a Super Bowl. This list is almost more of a franchise award.

From an imagination, innovation standpoint, I'd drop Marvin Lewis and add Sean Payton. NO does some very innovative, aggressive stuff on offense. The only coaches that were doing that kind of stuff were Shanny the Rat and Uncle Mikey Holmgren.

Payton has assumed that mantle and creates new stuff in his game plans. He gets the most out of his talent. Obviously, he lacks the SB cred.

MJZiggy
12-25-2009, 07:34 PM

From an imagination, innovation standpoint, I'd drop Marvin Lewis and add Sean Payton. NO does some very innovative, aggressive stuff on offense. The only coaches that were doing that kind of stuff were Shanny the Rat and Uncle Mikey Holmgren.

Payton has assumed that mantle and creates new stuff in his game plans. He gets the most out of his talent. Obviously, he lacks the SB cred.For now...

Fritz
12-26-2009, 12:56 PM
How you could leave Payton off the list is beyond me.

It's funny how it's as much about the organization as it is about the coach. Belichek was terrible in Cleveland....Norv Turner was 0-2 in head coaching gigs, but look at San Diego right now....

Talent sure does help a guy.

The Shadow
12-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Marvin Lewis? Marvin LEWIS????????

ND72
12-27-2009, 09:50 PM
1. Bill Belichek
2. Andy Reid
3. Sean Payton
4. Jeff Fischer
5. Tom Coughlin
6. Jim Caldwell
7. Mike Tomlin
8. Ken Wisenhunt
9. Norv Turner
10.Marvin Lewis

Those would be my current Top 10 coaches in the league.

pbmax
12-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I am not buying Wisenhunt or Caldwell yet. Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with someone else having done the hard work.

Administrator
12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
I am not buying Wisenhunt or Caldwell yet. Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with someone else having done the hard work.

You aren't saying that Dennis Green built the team for Wisenhunt, are you? I get Caldwell, don't get Wisenhunt...

pbmax
12-27-2009, 11:53 PM

You aren't saying that Dennis Green built the team for Wisenhunt, are you? I get Caldwell, don't get Wisenhunt...\
Overnight successes are very frequently just the opposite. Years of ineptitude have put a ton of high first round (and high every other round) talent on that roster. And Dennis Green didn't completely trash it. His team should have beaten a Super Bowl quality Bears team while it had Matt Leinart starting at QB in 06. Clearly there was a good team somewhere there. Wisenhunt had a huge run late last year after looking perfectly mediocre most of the year. This year he is winning a very weak division. I guess we'll see.