PDA

View Full Version : OT: Urban Meyer steps down as Florida coach

Bossman641
12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952

Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.

Meyer resigned Saturday, calling it quits after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He leaves Florida with a 56-10 record that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak snapped early this month against Alabama.

Meyer, 45, says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family.

Meyer will hold a news conference in New Orleans on Sunday afternoon and will coach his final game in the Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on New Year's Day.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Meyer helped the Gators win two national titles in five years at Florida. He is the only coach to win two BCS titles.

A three-time national coach of the year, Meyer is 95-18 in nine seasons.

Meyer came to Florida from Utah, where he closed out his stint with 16 consecutive wins. He began his head coaching career at Bowling Green in 2001, where he engineered the top turnaround in NCAA Division I-A football, showing a six-win improvement from the previous season. The Falcons rebounded from a 2-9 record with their first winning season (8-3) since 1994.

Shocking

Scott Campbell
12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Holy crap. I sure hope he's ok.

Kiwon
12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Holy crap. I sure hope he's ok.

He's okay....only 45 years old and been doing the same thing for 24 years at a very high level. I imagine the constant public exposure must be crushing at times. The SEC is as big as college football gets.

He just needs a break.

Now watch Lane Kiffin swoop in and steal some of Florida's prize recruits. Tennessee will be the next Florida in two years.

gbgary
12-26-2009, 09:10 PM
Football isn't everything. He's doing the right thing. They need to start looking for a new head coach now..I nominate mike mccarthy.

swede
12-26-2009, 10:54 PM
I thought I'd read in SI that he has had trouble with a brain cyst. Stress makes it flare up and the pain is like Jean Luc Picard's headaches at the hands of the Cardassians.

I hope his retirement brings him peace and health. Those high-achieving dudes have a heckuva time dialing it back to idle speed--good luck with that.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 12:52 AM
He has something wrong with a heart valve...supposedly. It isn't anything life threatening...unless you live a life under the stress of being a major college head football coach.

Ultimately, being their for his family means more to him than continuing to coach...and he's accomplished all there really is to accomplish. I applaud him for making the right move.

esoxx
12-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Quitter

Tyrone Bigguns
12-27-2009, 12:53 AM
Can't Tebow just lay hands on him?

Brandon494
12-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Wonder who the Gators will get to be their new HC?

Packgator
12-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Now it's being called a leave of absence. Not stepping down but taking some time off.

red
12-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Now it's being called a leave of absence. Not stepping down but taking some time off.

that really has to screw up recruiting

who's your coach?

i don't know, either meyer or some guy

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah...I don't know how the leave of absence will work. It isn't like they are going to get a big name coach to come to Florida if Urban can get his job back whenever he so chooses.

Only way I see this working is if they plan to promote one of Urban's guys to the head coaching spot...if and when Urban comes back, that guy can then either take a step back to remain at Florida or move on to another program with the experience gained from coaching at Florida.

Packgator
12-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah...I don't know how the leave of absence will work. It isn't like they are going to get a big name coach to come to Florida if Urban can get his job back whenever he so chooses.

Meyer just said he expects to be on the sideline coaching come next fall.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 04:15 PM
LOL

Well, perhaps Favre isn't the only drama queen on the planet.