12-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Just reported on ESPN. Wow..

Freak Out
12-27-2009, 10:58 AM
To GB? Where?

imscott72
12-27-2009, 11:07 AM
To GB? Where?

Nah not here, unless we can get the polar bear outta here. ESPN reported he might be interested in returning to the NFL. Destination obviously not known at this point yet.

MJZiggy
12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Interesting timing considering M1 just got hired by the Browns and is short one GM...

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Ain't no way that Ron Wolf goes to Cleveland to work FOR Holmgren.

I got the take that he would be interested in an NFL office position out of New York...in some capacity serving Goodell. I don't think Wolf has any interest in returning to player management on the team level.

Bossman641
12-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't understand the Ron Wolf appeal anymore. He has been gone almost 10 years. His last few years as GM (Ray Rhodes, Sherman as HC and GM, and Jamal Reynolds) weren't too awe-inspiring. He also served as GM in an entirely different era. I'm not saying he has lost his magic touch, but I'd much rather have TT than Wolf at this point.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
I agree. The league changes a lot in a decade...the game was already moving away from the league that Wolf grew up in (pre-free agency) which I think was one of the bigger reasons he left.

Coming back to help "save" the NFL in light of the upcoming labor strife makes more sense to me in terms of what Wolf would like to accomplish.

mmmdk
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I agree. The league changes a lot in a decade...the game was already moving away from the league that Wolf grew up in (pre-free agency) which I think was one of the bigger reasons he left.

Coming back to help "save" the NFL in light of the upcoming labor strife makes more sense to me in terms of what Wolf would like to accomplish.

Here's a little task for ya; go check all the FA Wolf signed to play for GB during his time, Wolf even signed a bunch of big names. So how did free agency make Wolf leave? Tired of signing all those FAs ? :lol: Wolf left NFL on top though last few years were somewhat mediocre. Wolf got just got tired, I guess!?

pbmax
12-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Here's a little task for ya; go check all the FA Wolf signed to play for GB during his time, Wolf even signed a bunch of big names. So how did free agency make Wolf leave? Tired of signing all those FAs ? :lol: Wolf left NFL on top though last few years were somewhat mediocre. Wolf got just got tired, I guess!?
His best FA signings were earlier, when the Packers benefited from some horrible cap management on the part of other teams. Wolf himself was saying, before anyone else realized it, that the June 1 cap releases were no longer of the same quality after the first few years. Same thing happened eentually to the yearly March/April FA feast.

I am not saying he would no longer sign FAs, but the talent isn't the same now. Wolf could still evaluate talent and draft, but he left because he did not like the restrictions put on him by cap management when it no longer afforded him talented players released by other teams. He told Bob Harlan the reason he no longer liked the job was that in his old days, if he needed to make a trade for a tackle, he called another team and talked about a deal. Now he had to consult both teams' cap people first, to see if a deal was financially possible.

MJZiggy
12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Hasn't Wolf been quoted as saying that he left because getting the free agents you wanted was becoming more difficult and expensive?

ND72
12-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Ron Wolf is coming back to the NFL, to work FOR the NFL...ESPN This morning said he will likely be working directly for the Commish.

Bretsky
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Hasn't Wolf been quoted as saying that he left because getting the free agents you wanted was becoming more difficult and expensive?

not exactly; he's commented how it was becoming harder to accomplish with all of the salary cap restrictions

Wolf is a legend in my mind because he brought a title to Green Bay

Administrator
12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Ron Wolf is coming back to the NFL, to work FOR the NFL...ESPN This morning said he will likely be working directly for the Commish.

This makes sense. The rest of this thread, well, not so much.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I got the take that he would be interested in an NFL office position out of New York...in some capacity serving Goodell.

Yep.

This made NO SENSE.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Administrator
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
I got the take that he would be interested in an NFL office position out of New York...in some capacity serving Goodell.

Yep.

This made NO SENSE.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Don't be so sensitive. Betcha you miss a post once in a while too... :wink:

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey...it isn't often I get something right.

Just showing off.