PDA

View Full Version : Crosby's 52 yarder

Guiness
12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Thoughts on Crosby's 52 yard FG in the fourth quarter?

Team was up, it wasn't do or die to kick it. Him making it certainly must've helped with his confidence, but was it worth the risk if he's missed?

Bretsky
12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
was great to see him make it
dude has a ton of talent

BallHawk
12-27-2009, 10:35 PM
It wasn't from the right hashmark so my fears aren't exactly gone, but I was glad to see he absolutely nailed it. If he missed it there woulda been one helluva shitstorm going on this week.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Seriously?

The kid nailed a 52 yard field goal in 20 degree weather in Lambeau.

Not a 52 yard field goal in the Metrodome in December.

Not a 52 yard field goal in Invesco at altitude in December.

Not a 52 yard field goal in Qualcomm or Raymond James in December.

A 52 YARDER IN LAMBEAU AFTER CHRISTMAS.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing you can count the number of those that have occurred on 1 hand.

Hell yeah it was the right move...and hell yeah the kid's confidence will be a lot better for it.

And anyone calling for his head is an idiot.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Before the kick, I thought it was a bad move. After he made it, I thought it was pure genius.

gbgary
12-27-2009, 11:01 PM
he needed it, and got it. a confidence builder to be sure. two for two today...let's hope it's the beginning of a long streak of made fgs.

Packgator
12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
A 52 YARDER IN LAMBEAU AFTER CHRISTMAS

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing you can count the number of those that have occurred on 1 hand.

Would be interesting to know the answer to that.

Guiness
12-27-2009, 11:07 PM
A 52 YARDER IN LAMBEAU AFTER CHRISTMAS

Agreed that him making it was huge. But hindsight's 20-20

Like HW, I question how smart it was to send him out in the first place.

The Leaper
12-27-2009, 11:09 PM
What are you going to do? Hide the kid on the bench the rest of the year?

What is it with Packer fans? A couple missed kicks, and Crosby is a total failure...Chuck Knoblauch in a Packer uniform.

Crosby has a leg of dynamite and is a good kicker. This is all about confidence...and the ONLY WAY to fix it is to LET HIM KICK.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Crosby had missed FGs in 4 straight games. Some makeable. I'm as big of a backer of Crosby as anybody, but his confidence had to be shaken. I'm not sure a 52 yarder at Lambeau with what looked to be swirling winds is a smart thing to do for his confidence. Ideally, I would have liked to see him knock a few 30-45 yarders through. In hindsight, it was a great move. If he had missed it, everybody would be talking about how he has missed a FG in 5 straight games.

Packers4Ever
12-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Thoughts on Crosby's 52 yard FG in the fourth quarter?

Team was up, it wasn't do or die to kick it. Him making it certainly must've helped with his confidence, but was it worth the risk if he's missed?

It had to happen sooner or later, going out on the

field to make that kick ~ and wasn't the grin on his face

afterwards worth it ?? :D

swede
12-28-2009, 12:00 AM
FWIW I thought he looked really uptight on the first short one.

On the long one he looked dazed and relieved after, as if he had no idea how he'd managed to hit from 52 given the state of his head.

I don't think he's out of the woods yet. There is way too much cooking in his head before AND after he kicks. Going 2 for 2 at least gives him a positive place to begin this week's practice.

I really thought this kid had come to us with more mental toughness than he's shown this season. I'm rooting for him, but, in my mind, today's successful field goal tries underscored his continuing struggle to get his groove back.

We'll be back to good when Mason comes off the field saying "Hell yeah!" instead of "Thank you, God!"

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't question the kids mental toughness. I've noticed in numerous games where he'll miss a kick early and then make it later. I think he's tough mentally. I'm not sure he's quite the technician that Ryan Longwell was, and his mechanics seem to get out of whack. However, I think his mental toughness is the thing that gives me the most hope that he'll turn it around. Well, that and leg strength that you just don't see that often.

bobblehead
12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Seriously?

The kid nailed a 52 yard field goal in 20 degree weather in Lambeau.

Not a 52 yard field goal in the Metrodome in December.

You are correct sir. he missed that one with the game on the line last year. In a dome, off of turf.

I'm not calling for his head. I'm not saying we need someone else. I do raise the question of him making game winners though. From what I read he was money in the clutch in college, so I'm not giving up yet....his leg is certainly dynamite. BUT, if he misses a big kick in the playoffs you gotta at least consider bringing in legitimate competition in the offseason.

wist43
12-28-2009, 12:55 AM
From the perspective of repeatability... is it just me, or does that ball seem to move right, then left, then??? who knows??? :lol:

What kind of spin must he be imparting on that ball??? is it his follow thru, the holding???

As a pretty damn good golfer (5 handicap or better - when I play consistently - mid 80's on a bad day, or a, "oh what the hell... I'll have another beer day :lol:)... I can impart spin one way or the other when I'm going well, but am clueless as to which way it will go when the stars are not aligned.

That is the confusion and lack of confidence Crosby seems to be struggling with... "which way will it go"???

On some of his misses of late... the holds were clean, and the ball seemed to be cleanly struck... it's in his head - much like golf.

Given my state of mind, I'm as likely to shoot a 74, as I am a 94... it's in my head, just as it seems to be in his head... and, given we are in the playoffs, we need him to be right.

Any psychotic golfers out there understand??? lol...

swede
12-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Wist, if you read Harv's last post he talks about this very thing: the technical, physical aspects of Crosby's kicking stroke may be messed up and he's having trouble correcting the problem. What we don't know is if a) he can't find the glitch, or b) he can identify the problem but can't control it.

I'm happy that Mason went 2 for 2 today, but his reactions to his kicks don't tell me he's got things figured out.

Like you, I was thinking how Crosby's issue is very much like a problem with a golf swing. One day you've got a sweet draw, the next, your hook is back and it won't go away.

wist43
12-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Wist, if you read Harv's last post he talks about this very thing: the technical, physical aspects of Crosby's kicking stroke may be messed up and he's having trouble correcting the problem. What we don't know is if a) he can't find the glitch, or b) he can identify the problem but can't control it.

I'm happy that Mason went 2 for 2 today, but his reactions to his kicks don't tell me he's got things figured out.

Like you, I was thinking how Crosby's issue is very much like a problem with a golf swing. One day you've got a sweet draw, the next, your hook is back and it won't go away.

Yes, exactly...

When I'm going well, I can draw it on command, fade it on command... but - there are those days - and yes extended periods - when it doesn't matter what I think in my head, the result is never what I envision...

Last season... I stood over a 130 yard par 3, easy gap wedge - knew I was swinging well, planned on putting to within 10-15 feet... KAPLOOWIE :lol:... shanked it... can't imagine where that came from... was completely perplexed :?:

Took me two weeks to recover... it's was as if a bomb went off in my head and nothing made sense :bs2:

FG kickers are similar... and from that standpoint, I completely understand... the difference between me and crosby is - I win the occasional beer hole, he is paid millions to get it right.

CaliforniaCheez
12-28-2009, 05:03 AM
I noticed that the prior play was run left so that if he had to kick it would be from the left hashmark.

He seems to do much better from the left. It seems that there is a fundemental flaw in his follow through when kicking from the right having them go wide right.

green_bowl_packer
12-28-2009, 06:40 AM
I noticed the same that neither of these were from the right hash, Mason's rough spot.

Hopefully, yesterday was a start and he can right the ship.

Badgerinmaine
12-28-2009, 07:00 AM
but was it worth the risk if he's missed?
I think so--you could always say "Well, that's a pretty tough kick to make outside in Green Bay in December". I think it was a no-lose situation to go for the kick.

RashanGary
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
He barely made it over the goalpost. Normally, even on 50+ yarders, Crosby is kicking it way past.

It was very cold, but I think maybe Crosby was kicking a little too hard on field goals. Maybe he needed to ease off of it just a touch.

As far as what hash, my brother mentioned that to me a while ago and it's true. He misses from the right hash for one reason or another. Since having it mentioned to me, I've noticed the trend.

I also noticed what Wist said, Crosby has a very strange ball flight. Longwell's ball went straigh as an arrow. Crosby's goes left, fades right.

Patler
12-28-2009, 07:39 AM
He barely made it over the goalpost. Normally, even on 50+ yarders, Crosby is kicking it way past.

Really? I listened to the game, haven't watched yet; but during the post game show, they discussed about how strong his 52 yarder was. Larivee (I think) mentioned it was "halfway up the net" and was evidence of why they will be patient with him, the strength of his leg.

Sparkey
12-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I noticed that the prior play was run left so that if he had to kick it would be from the left hashmark.

He seems to do much better from the left. It seems that there is a fundemental flaw in his follow through when kicking from the right having them go wide right.

I don' think it is his follow through as much as how he lines up for the kick. The 52 yrd yesterday faded right, just like his misses from the right hashmark the previous weeks. If he lines up his aim slightly more to the left, he should make the majority of them.

KYPack
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
From the perspective of repeatability... is it just me, or does that ball seem to move right, then left, then??? who knows??? :lol:

What kind of spin must he be imparting on that ball??? is it his follow thru, the holding???

As a pretty damn good golfer (5 handicap or better - when I play consistently - mid 80's on a bad day, or a, "oh what the hell... I'll have another beer day :lol:)... I can impart spin one way or the other when I'm going well, but am clueless as to which way it will go when the stars are not aligned.

That is the confusion and lack of confidence Crosby seems to be struggling with... "which way will it go"???

On some of his misses of late... the holds were clean, and the ball seemed to be cleanly struck... it's in his head - much like golf.

Given my state of mind, I'm as likely to shoot a 74, as I am a 94... it's in my head, just as it seems to be in his head... and, given we are in the playoffs, we need him to be right.

I play to an 18. The mechanics of a golf swing and kicking are very similar. The mental aspect is also very close.

Crosby was having a problem with his plant. The field goal kicker should have his plant foot exactly parallel with the ball. On the chippy he missed in Pitt, Crosby planted at least 6 inches ahead of the ball. It was a soggy field, and he rushed and slid his plant foot ahead. That creeps into your brain and he is just now coming out of it. His kicks are 'waffling' bc he's punching the ball. He's striking the ball too square instead of drawing it slightly. A good FG man hits the ball with a slight draw, just like a good drive in golf.

If we ever play each other, my handicap may balloon to a 22, you will have to give me 17 strokes or 9 a side, which ever you feel more comfortable with.

red
12-28-2009, 08:58 AM
good to see him make a couple

it was a must going into the playoffs, maybe this pulls him out of his funk

Bossman641
12-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Yes, exactly...

When I'm going well, I can draw it on command, fade it on command... but - there are those days - and yes extended periods - when it doesn't matter what I think in my head, the result is never what I envision...

Last season... I stood over a 130 yard par 3, easy gap wedge - knew I was swinging well, planned on putting to within 10-15 feet... KAPLOOWIE :lol:... shanked it... can't imagine where that came from... was completely perplexed :?:

Took me two weeks to recover... it's was as if a bomb went off in my head and nothing made sense :bs2:

FG kickers are similar... and from that standpoint, I completely understand... the difference between me and crosby is - I win the occasional beer hole, he is paid millions to get it right.

As a fellow golfer, I share your pain regarding shanks. Once you hit one of those it throws your entire swing and mental game out of whack.

Bossman641
12-28-2009, 09:14 AM
How windy was it at the game yesterday? Crosby's kicks were spinning really weird. The ball wasn't spinning end over end, but instead was rotating almost horizontally.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I don't question the kids mental toughness. I've noticed in numerous games where he'll miss a kick early and then make it later. I think he's tough mentally. I'm not sure he's quite the technician that Ryan Longwell was, and his mechanics seem to get out of whack. However, I think his mental toughness is the thing that gives me the most hope that he'll turn it around. Well, that and leg strength that you just don't see that often.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can say anything about his mental toughness. Unless you've sat down with him, had a couple beers, and he either confides in you or you are instinctive when it comes to reading a person through a long conversation. Sure, he knows he's missed some, and the smile is telling to an extent, but it doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't mentally tough. That's an arbitrary designation from a fan that's meaningless.

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2009, 10:30 AM
The smile on his face afterwards told the whole story. He needed that kick.

The FG was made by plenty, it didn't just make it over.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM

I think making the kick was a relief for him, thus the smile, but even relief doesn't mean the kid's not mentally tough. It just means that kick going through meant a little more to him. Yeah, he needed the kick, I agree. But needing the kick and his mental toughness aren't but remotely related.

wist43
12-28-2009, 11:58 AM

I play to an 18. The mechanics of a golf swing and kicking are very similar. The mental aspect is also very close.

Crosby was having a problem with his plant. The field goal kicker should have his plant foot exactly parallel with the ball. On the chippy he missed in Pitt, Crosby planted at least 6 inches ahead of the ball. It was a soggy field, and he rushed and slid his plant foot ahead. That creeps into your brain and he is just now coming out of it. His kicks are 'waffling' bc he's punching the ball. He's striking the ball too square instead of drawing it slightly. A good FG man hits the ball with a slight draw, just like a good drive in golf.

If we ever play each other, my handicap may balloon to a 22, you will have to give me 17 strokes or 9 a side, which ever you feel more comfortable with.

Hopefully we can play some day :)

Have a baby on the way though... have a sneaking hunch, golf is going on the back burner for a while :D

As for Crosby's mechanics... I've never studied FG kicking mechanics, but I'd imagine it's similar to a golf swing; but, just as it is true that there is more than one way to swing a golf club, I'd imagine every kicker has their indivdual nuances.

In the end... as has been posited, most of it is in his head.

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2009, 12:21 PM

I think making the kick was a relief for him, thus the smile, but even relief doesn't mean the kid's not mentally tough. It just means that kick going through meant a little more to him. Yeah, he needed the kick, I agree. But needing the kick and his mental toughness aren't but remotely related.
I wasn't going with the mental toughness angle, just that he had been feeling the heat from the media and hit a very tough kick. I also agree that the smile was from relief.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 12:23 PM

I wasn't going with the mental toughness angle, just that he had been feeling the heat from the media and hit a very tough kick. I also agree that the smile was from relief.

Sweet. Glad we agree. I didn't remember who was harping on his lack of mental toughness and who wasn't.