PDA

View Full Version : Brian Billick

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Worst announcer ever?

swede
12-28-2009, 12:34 AM
I like him. He even seems to root for Green Bay. His knowledge of the players seems extensive and accurate. He can be very instructive, as when he points out how GJ pushed a fly route inside to create space on the outside for a ball he would be expecting on his outside shoulder.

What don't you like about him?

MOBB DEEP
12-28-2009, 01:07 AM
I like him. He even seems to root for Green Bay. His knowledge of the players seems extensive and accurate. He can be very instructive

AGREED...smart as heck!

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 01:35 AM
I think there are certain things that he knows about, like routes and strategy, but he bluffs on a lot of "inside knowledge" about the team that is just way off base. Week after week when I hear him talk, he frustrates me because he'll say something about the team that's just ridiculous to even a casual fan.

For example, he said today that the pick that GB got for Brett Favre turned into Clay Matthews. How does that compute? The BF pick was the third of three draft picks traded for the 1st rounder, and the least valuable of all three. The implication he laid out was that GB received a 1st straight up for BF. It's little things like that that annoy me, and there are always several in each game.

But you're right on the football knowledge and strategy stuff. I like that insight from him. I just don't like the other unsubstantiated mumblings he throws out there. It almost seems as if he doesn't do his homework very thoroughly.

no hope in new hope
12-28-2009, 01:51 AM
For example, he said today that the pick that GB got for Brett Favre turned into Clay Matthews. How does that compute? The BF pick was the third of three draft picks traded for the 1st rounder, and the least valuable of all three. The implication he laid out was that GB received a 1st straight up for BF. It's little things like that that annoy me, and there are always several in each game.

He's a sorta-regular interview on the sports station in Minneapolis (KFAN) and when I hear him interviewed, I'm always impressed. But Smidgeon, I agree with you 100% about the comment above - he misrepresented the situation completely.

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I normally like him, but how he didn't understand the strategy at the end of the half is beyond me. Of course, his partner led him astray on that. I don't think they understood that it was 3rd and GOAL.

SkinBasket
12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
I normally like him, but how he didn't understand the strategy at the end of the half is beyond me. Of course, his partner led him astray on that. I don't think they understood that it was 3rd and GOAL.

That was my biggest problem as well, but the entire production is at fault for that. He says some pretty dumb things on occasion, and obviously wasn't paying the best of attention there, but at some point during a full minute of rambling when it was evident he didn't know what down it was, the production staff has to get in his ear and give him a clue.

red
12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
no way, he's my favorite announcer

and in fairness to him, i was wondering what the hell the packers were doing at the end of the half too.

i think the confusion comes from there being a first and goal from the 15 or 20 or whatever it was

Pugger
12-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I think there are certain things that he knows about, like routes and strategy, but he bluffs on a lot of "inside knowledge" about the team that is just way off base. Week after week when I hear him talk, he frustrates me because he'll say something about the team that's just ridiculous to even a casual fan.

But you're right on the football knowledge and strategy stuff. I like that insight from him. I just don't like the other unsubstantiated mumblings he throws out there. It almost seems as if he doesn't do his homework very thoroughly.

Didn't TT use the extra 3rd round pick we got for Favre to sweeten the deal to move up to get Matthews? (I hope that made sense...) :?:

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Didn't TT use the extra 3rd round pick we got for Favre to sweeten the deal to move up to get Matthews? (I hope that made sense...) :?:

The way TT explained it after the trade was that NE called and said "We'll give you this pick for those three". Now, obviously there was more haggling to the trade (like there always is), but to say that the BF pick was the crucial pick for the trade is just shy of ridiculous. It may have sweetened the pot, but the pot wouldn't have even been there had it not been for the #2 and higher #3 that was traded along with the lower BF #3.

My complaint with Billick wasn't that he got it somewhat right. It's that he, as an announcer, seems to be very inexact when it comes to information. He didn't say "The BF pick was part of the trade that turned into Clay Matthews". He said "The BF pick turned into Clay Matthews." I know it's semantics, but the implication of the first is what really happened, and the implication of the second is not what happened.

bobblehead
12-28-2009, 10:55 AM
As long as the dude from NFL network a couple years ago exists, he is/was the worst announcer in history.

Was it Brian Gumbal?? Someone must remember him.

Zool
12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I'd listen to Billick all day every day before Joe Buck.

http://www.joebucksucks.com/

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I really don't think Billick is the worst announcer ever. That was just hyperbole to get the thread started. The difference between him and other "less-than-amazing" announcers is that he still comes to good conclusions, but his process getting there bothers me because of its inexact nature. Whereas other "less-than-amazing" announcers have a better process of getting there (i.e. use good announcing techniques) but come to bad conclusions.

So comparing Aikman who, last I checked, still called GB the best screen running team in football and Billick who tells incomplete stories and leaves out crucial data but still comes to viable conclusions, I far and away prefer Billick. I guess the way I see it is that nobody's going to take someone like Aikman, Buck, or Gumbel as seriously because their conclusions don't make sense, but that same someone will accept Billick's logic because his conclusions do make sense.

Does that make sense?

In other words, it's easy for someone to believe the means when the end is accurate (Billick) than it is for someone to believe the means when the end is inaccurate.

I do prefer Billick to a lot, but I guess I just wish he'd get better at using exact language. Maybe that will come with more time in the booth.

mraynrand
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM

Buck is play by play. Billick is fine, given the other choices. Maybe perhaps you want Ron Pitts in your ear? Or that dumbass former Bear they have teamed up with Sam Rosen?

It's hard to be a knowledgeable guy and be interesting at the same time. CBS has guys who know their stuff but are stunningly boring, like Phil Simms, Dan Marino and Coach Cowher. Matt Millen landed on the NFL network - he is entertaining, but sounds really stupid these days. Perhaps it's because he lacks credibility.

I like Gannon and Harlan - that's a good pair. They do the preseason games and they're good because they have familiarity with the teams. If you notice, the guys who cover a team 3 plus times a year start understanding the team better and provide more insight.

Some on this site likes the choice of Collinsworth teamed with Michaels. That guy knows his football and is entertaining because he's not afraid to give his POV, even if it's unpopular. It works, because he's usually right.

RashanGary
12-28-2009, 11:34 AM
You just named a bunch of the guys I like, MrAyn.

Gannon, Billick and Collinsworth are three of my favorites. Gannon and Billick have ties to McCarthy and are very knowledgeable about the Packers as well as about football overall. Collinsworth is smart, interesting and entertaining. As far as preparation, organization, attention to detail and accuracy, I like Mike Tirico. He's very knowledgeable about rules and has great overall knowledge about all teams in the NFL. He's very plugged in and was always very right with his predictions when he used to be on the radio.

I'd love to see a Collinsworth, Billick, Tirico grouping. They all play different rolls, all are very knowledgeable and I could see each respecting each other for what they bring so the chemistry would build.

Billick brings knowledge, credibility and ties to the game
Collinsworth brings an edge and knowledge too
Tirico brings a detailed knowledge that Smidgeon is looking for

Zool
12-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Buck is play by play. Billick is fine, given the other choices. Maybe perhaps you want Ron Pitts in your ear? Or that dumbass former Bear they have teamed up with Sam Rosen?

It's hard to be a knowledgeable guy and be interesting at the same time. CBS has guys who know their stuff but are stunningly boring, like Phil Simms, Dan Marino and Coach Cowher. Matt Millen landed on the NFL network - he is entertaining, but sounds really stupid these days. Perhaps it's because he lacks credibility.

I like Gannon and Harlan - that's a good pair. They do the preseason games and they're good because they have familiarity with the teams. If you notice, the guys who cover a team 3 plus times a year start understanding the team better and provide more insight.

Some on this site likes the choice of Collinsworth teamed with Michaels. That guy knows his football and is entertaining because he's not afraid to give his POV, even if it's unpopular. It works, because he's usually right.

Buck is play by play but he tries as hard as he can to add color to his schtick. I think thats my main problem with him. Not that Aikman is the best in the biz but Buck is one of the worst IMO.

CaptainKickass
12-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Billick's way better than many...like Tony Cornholer for example.

If I could choose any announcer for the games I watch....it would be Gruden....hands down.

Jimx29
12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Worst announcer ever?close, but he's marginally better than Aikman

Willard
12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
As long as the dude from NFL network a couple years ago exists, he is/was the worst announcer in history.

Was it Brian Gumbal?? Someone must remember him.
Bryant Gumbel. Greg's brother, who was host of the Today show before Matt Whatshisname and Katie Coric. You are right about him. He was the single worst announcer ever. He didnt even know the players in the game he was announcing. It was like he was so confident in his talent as a talking head that he did NOTHING to prepare for the game. It was a train wreck. He was supposed to be THE voice of NFL Network's gameday crew. I dont remember this, but he lasted almost 2 seasons. More on this assclown: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/04/gumbel-leaving-nfl-network.html

cheesner
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought this was the standard for bad announcers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

I really like Billik and think he and jaworski are the most interesting to listen to.

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I didn't really think Billick was all that bad. That 3rd Q pass to Finley when they faked the sweep to the left was very well called by Billick. You could just hear it in his voice how it was a perfect play call. He may get some details wrong on occasion, but he isn't a guy that goes way over the top like a lot of announcers do with the "[insert player name] is one of the best in the NFL at [fill in position]" when speaking about above avg players.

Bretsky
12-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Billick, like Jon Gruden is a very solid announcer. You guys remember all the know nothings who use to announce these games ? He mucked up on the goal line scenario...but normally a very solid announcer

Lurker64
12-28-2009, 05:27 PM
My favorite announcer these days is Chris Collinsworth, as he's willing to be absolutely brutal on players (particularly receivers) who make mistakes. I totally respect that, as it's the opposite of Gruden's usual schtick of brownnosing anybody and everybody because he might end up in the NFL again (though, other than this, Gruden is a fine announcer).

Billick is a man with an ego the mass of Jupiter, and you do notice this occasionally, but he is a sharp guy, and he usually does a better job than most. I like him a lot more, for example, than Fox's "A" team of Joe Buck and Troy Aikman.

MJZiggy
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I like Billick. He doesn't assume we're idiots, and calls it like he sees it. I might like Gruden better if his voice weren't so annoying to me. Sounds like he's yelling all the time.

Bretsky
12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
I like Billick. He doesn't assume we're idiots, and calls it like he sees it. I might like Gruden better if his voice weren't so annoying to me. Sounds like he's yelling all the time.

The truth finally comes out

You don't like a guy telling you what to do :lol: :wink:

MJZiggy
12-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't like anybody (who's not paying my salary) telling me what to do. What's new about that? :?

Tyrone Bigguns
12-28-2009, 09:16 PM
I don't like anybody (who's not paying my salary) telling me what to do. What's new about that? :?

Let's discuss salary requirements.

wist43
12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

Are you sure it's a good idea to piss "chucky" off??? He was pretty tough to kill off in that movie :)

Since he's been out of coaching... he seems to be outliving that moniker though... perhaps he's less stressed out?? :)

MJZiggy
12-28-2009, 09:17 PM
You can't afford it.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
You can't afford it.

I can't afford not to have it.