PDA

View Full Version : Packer Draft Position for 2010 Draft

CaliforniaCheez
12-28-2009, 03:52 AM
The Packers cannot draft any higher than 23rd. That is at least 4.5 hours after the draft begins with the Rams.

If the Packers somehow fail to reach the Superbowl they could draft as low as 26th.

Of course the Suprebowl teams draft 31st and 32nd.

Last year that range was:

23 Ravens Michael Oher OT
24 Falcons Peria Jerry DT
25 Dolphins Vontae Davis CB
26 Packers Clay Matthews

31 Cardinals Chris Wells RB
32 Steelers Evander Hood DT

Of course no one ever knows what Ted Thompson will do with that first round pick.

Pending the out come of the Monday night game, next weeks games, and the finalists in the Superbowl here is the draft order:

1) Rams
2) Lions
3) Chiefs
4) Buccaneers
5) Redskins
6) Browns
7) Bills
8) Seahawks
9) Raiders
10) Bears ??
11) 49'ers
12) Jaguars
13) Panthers
14) Titans
15) Dolphins
16) Jets
17) Falcons
18) Texans
19) Steelers
20) Broncos
21) Giants
22) Ravens
23) Packers
24) Cardinals
25) Bengals
26) Cowboys
27) Patriots
28) Eagles ???
29) vikings ???
30) Chargers
31) Saints *
32) Colts *

So far I'm hearing it is not a good draft for OT's and QB's.

The Packers needs are:

A quality CB
A DE (Frankly I would rather have Kampmann bulk up a bit if possible)
A Pickett replacement if he is not signed.
Safety
OT
RB
Center (depending on health)
TE

If there is "surplus" talent that can be traded for other positions, that surplus is at LB, WR.

I'm not saying draft one but a better punter can likely be found as well.

The Packers can always replace who they have with better players.

ND72
12-28-2009, 08:17 AM
So far I'm hearing it is not a good draft for OT's and QB's.

The Packers needs are:

A quality CB
A DE (Frankly I would rather have Kampmann bulk up a bit if possible)
A Pickett replacement if he is not signed.
Safety
OT
RB
Center (depending on health)
TE

If there is "surplus" talent that can be traded for other positions, that surplus is at LB, WR.

I'm not saying draft one but a better punter can likely be found as well.

The Packers can always replace who they have with better players.

Yes, we need another CB, but I still think the team is waiting to see how Pat Lee and Underwood grow.

DE....Jolly & Jenkins are perfect fits for the 3-4, but yes, we need depth.

A Pickett replacement? Have you heard of B.J. Raji?

Safety....I've heard a lot that Taylor Mays will be had in the 20's in this years draft...HELLO!!!

Tackle - Not a great Tackle class. The best tackles in this draft will be taken about pick 20, after that it will be a crap shoot.

RB I think is a need...or at least a crazy athlete RB, like a Spiller, but I think he will end up rising on the draft boards.

Center....Centers can be gotten very late.

TE...Jermichael Finley is our future, and I believe they are happy with Donald Lee and Spencer Havner for now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on getting a TE.

PERSONALLY, I think our biggest needs are RB, OT, DL, OLB, CB, & S. I like Brad Jones, but don't believe he is the answer at OLB, and wouldn't mind if we found a crazy guy for that other OLB position. I don't think Bigby is any good, so I would love to land a Taylor Mays.

red
12-28-2009, 08:56 AM
i don't think DE is a need at all, at least not a priority. we could always use some depth, but jolly and jenkins are just awesome 3-4 ends.

of course that could change if jolly is in prison

nd, taylor mays sucks from all i hear. he's big, fast as hell, hits like crazy, but he has no football instincts.

he's like a bigger faster jarret bush

it also seems to me like it is a pretty decent year for OT's, there will be some decent ones that go in the 2nd

CaliforniaCheez
12-28-2009, 09:08 AM
My points were regarding depth.

As to DE I doubt Montgomery and Harrell return and make the team.

Lee, Bush, and Blackmon can be replaced by a better player.

Safety depth is important.

There is a player in each position group that can be replaced.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 09:49 AM
My points were regarding depth.

As to DE I doubt Montgomery and Harrell return and make the team.

Lee, Bush, and Blackmon can be replaced by a better player.

Safety depth is important.

There is a player in each position group that can be replaced.

How do you know that Lee and Blackman need to be replaced? Lee hasn't been on the field due to unfortunate injuries, and Blackman wasn't on the field much because he was the special teams returner.

As for what the team needs in the draft, here's a list I put together in another thread:

1) a LT
2) a #1 or #2 CB to pair with Tramon Williams in the future
3) a #2 WR (unless Jordy or James steps up) because WRs take a year or two to hit their stride and DD isn't getting any younger
4) a SS
5) a RB
6) a KR (because Blackman isn't guaranteed to remain injury-free)
7) a CB to back up Tramon Williams and 2)
8) a P
9) a LB

sharpe1027
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
How do you know that Lee and Blackman need to be replaced? Lee hasn't been on the field due to unfortunate injuries, and Blackman wasn't on the field much because he was the special teams returner.

As for what the team needs in the draft, here's a list I put together in another thread:

1) a LT
3) a #2 WR (unless Jordy or James steps up) because WRs take a year or two to hit their stride and DD isn't getting any younger
4) a SS
5) a RB
8) a P
9) a LB

I agree about Lee, but from what i remember, even when Blackmon was healthy he was out of position more times than Bush. I don't think he's going to be serviceable as a DB.

This is coming from someone that defended his early struggles as part of the learning process. Learning time is over.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 10:24 AM

1) a LT
4) a SS
5) a RB
8) a P
9) a LB

I agree about Lee, but from what i remember, even when Blackmon was healthy he was out of position more times than Bush. I don't think he's going to be serviceable as a DB.

This is coming from someone that defended his early struggles as part of the learning process. Learning time is over.

Regarding the bolded portion: Really? I mean, I understand hyperbole, but that's like saying he's wetter than water. ;) (Actually, I think Bush played well yesterday against a mediocre team--maybe he's improving. And if he's improving, I'd like to see what Lee and Blackman can do with this D-staff.)

get louder at lambeau
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think Bigby is any good, so I would love to land a Taylor Mays.

You know Bigby had 2 INTs less than 24 hours before you wrote this, right?

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 10:46 AM

...even Trent Green can win a Super Bowl. :mrgreen:

But I get your point. If Bigby steps up, I would personally move the safety priority down the list. He's certainly steady and unflashy. But getting an upgrade there (if Al returns in top form) would mean that the top 4 DBs are all near the best at their positions. Maybe that's just being greedy on my part, but I'll take it.

red
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM

1) a LT
4) a SS
5) a RB
8) a P
9) a LB

blackmon was one of if not the best Cb in college before moving to wr for his senior year because the team had no weapons.

he has the raw talent to be a good cb, but things need to click for him

so there is a chance he could turn into something

Lurker64
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Cheez-

Wasn't the draft order changed for this year, so that for the 12 playoff teams their draft pick represented advancement in the playoffs? So that picks 21-32 are reserved for playoff teams and

21-24 are for the four teams that lose in the wildcard round
25-28 are for the four teams that lose in the divisional round
29-30 are for the two teams who lose in the championship round
and 31-32 are for the two superbowl teams, as is traditional.

With tiebreakers within one of those sets being determined by things like "record" and "who won the superbowl". I get what you're saying that 23 is the highest pick the Packers could have, since they will have a better record than the two AFC wildcards (whoever they are). But couldn't they end up picking in the 25-28 range or the 29-30 or 31-32 range as well, depending on advancement?

The Shadow
12-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I also would love to see Kamp bulk up and return to the D Line.
What a rotation we could have.
However, I doubt that will happen.
He prob. is chomping at the bit to go to a 4-3 team.

We need secondary help and a tackle.

Zool
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Dilfer?

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Dilfer?

Oops. Sorry. My mistake. I stated that without verifying my resources. :oops:

Zool
12-28-2009, 11:49 AM

Dilfer?

Oops. Sorry. My mistake. I stated that without verifying my resources. :oops:

And Kurt Warner said he did it instead of Green.

CaliforniaCheez
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Cheez-

Wasn't the draft order changed for this year, so that for the 12 playoff teams their draft pick represented advancement in the playoffs? So that picks 21-32 are reserved for playoff teams and

21-24 are for the four teams that lose in the wildcard round
25-28 are for the four teams that lose in the divisional round
29-30 are for the two teams who lose in the championship round
and 31-32 are for the two superbowl teams, as is traditional.

With tiebreakers within one of those sets being determined by things like "record" and "who won the superbowl". I get what you're saying that 23 is the highest pick the Packers could have, since they will have a better record than the two AFC wildcards (whoever they are). But couldn't they end up picking in the 25-28 range or the 29-30 or 31-32 range as well, depending on advancement?

I don't know. Once you get used to a system it is tough for oldtimers/geezers to to get used to new rules that no one is talking about yet. Regardless you can save half a day's time by not tuning into the draft from the begining.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-28-2009, 05:32 PM

1) a LT
4) a SS
5) a RB
8) a P
9) a LB

blackmon was one of if not the best Cb in college before moving to wr for his senior year because the team had no weapons.

he has the raw talent to be a good cb, but things need to click for him

so there is a chance he could turn into something

Factually incorrect. Blackmon was hardly one of if not the best cb before moving. His junior year he was 2nd team all Big East. If he was that good, he woulda still been drafted very high..teams gamble big time on CBs.

And, Will saw time on defense his senior year.

Sorry, but in 05, his junior year, Blackmon didn't even compare with Pac Man, Carlos Rodgers, antrel rolle, Fabian Washington, Marlin Jackson, Stanford Routt, cory webster, nick collins, ron bartell, darrent williams, justin miller, kelvin hayden, bryant mcfadden..who were all gone by the end of the 2nd round.

THe simple fact is that Will's greatest achivements have come on returns both in college and the pros.

ND72
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Bigby is horrible. He can't cover, all he can do is hit. Any draft pick would be an upgrade.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Bigby is horrible. He can't cover, all he can do is hit. Any draft pick would be an upgrade.

You just described Taylor Mays. :lol:

ND72
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM

I would take a younger version of Bigby if it means he has potential to get better. Bigby is the same player he was 3 years ago, except he's slower than he was then.

Brandon494
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM

I would take a younger version of Bigby if it means he has potential to get better. Bigby is the same player he was 3 years ago, except he's slower than he was then.

I'll pass on Taylor Mays, he has potential but he is pretty bad in pass coverage. Our team is pretty solid at stoping the run so I'd rather draft a player who had better coverage skills than just another hit hitter.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM

Ty understands. You would take a younger crappy version of bigby rather than the slightly slower crappy version we see today.

Why don't you just advocate some overrated golden domer. :lol: