PDA

View Full Version : Drivers drops

LEWCWA
12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
This is my big concern. This dude has had the dropsies for 3 weeks in a row now.
I know he has been know to drop some, but it has been pretty bad the last 3 weeks! With Jennings seemingly finding his stride and Finely really becoming a huge threat, if DD can catch everything in site this offense could be special. Now come on Double D lets get hot when it counts!

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
If that's the largest concern from yesterday's game, I'm down with it.

gbgary
12-28-2009, 12:39 PM
could be the cold and rodgers' bullets. our playoff games are going to be in warm weather and/or domes so it shouldn't be an issue.

Jimx29
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
in almost every game, the first 5-6 passes from rodgers are off target.

Smidgeon
12-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Unsubstantiated. He has his best completion percentage over his first 10 passes as he does over any other split (but tied with 11-20) and his highest QB rating over the first 10 passes over any other split by over 10 points.

Fred's Slacks
12-28-2009, 05:34 PM

I don't think this is always the case but I think this has been true the past 3 weeks or so. I think it was the Raven game that was driving me nuts with the off target passes early. This week I don't think there was much there early going and he needed to get rid of the ball quick to beat the rush. Then there was the Driver drop...

packerbacker1234
12-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Some of his drops are like ""what". Though, if we just count those drops, there are very few.

The others are more "understandable". We only get upset because we are use to him catching everything, including the spectacular one handers. Driver is fine. Same as he's always been.

I was very pleased with Grant.

The Shadow
12-28-2009, 11:48 PM
The Driver drops were diverse.

SkinBasket
12-29-2009, 07:50 AM
No matter how on or off target the passes are, they are still hitting driver in the hands. And then falling out of them. I sure hope that crap ass story in the JSO about Driver wanting more targets wasn't accurate, because he's been getting them and making the least of the opportunity.

pbmax
12-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Unsubstantiated. He has his best completion percentage over his first 10 passes as he does over any other split (but tied with 11-20) and his highest QB rating over the first 10 passes over any other split by over 10 points.
Marvelous find. Link?

EDIT:

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronrodgers/situationalstats?id=ROD339293

I love the internet.

pbmax
12-29-2009, 09:25 AM
No matter how on or off target the passes are, they are still hitting driver in the hands. And then falling out of them. I sure hope that crap ass story in the JSO about Driver wanting more targets wasn't accurate, because he's been getting them and making the least of the opportunity.
More ammunition for my argument to bring back stickum and the tear away jersey. Does stickum retain its magical properties in below zero weather?

gbgary
12-29-2009, 09:30 AM
mr. consistancy!!
........................................att..comp. .%

Attempts 1-Through-10 ......150...96...64.0
Attempts 11-Through-20.....150...96...64.0
Attempts 21-Through-30.....118...75...63.6
Attempts 31+ .....................97...62....63.9

rbaloha1
12-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Agree with too many drops. Its masked since the Packers are winning. Lets hope its not a problem in the playoffs.

Scott Campbell
12-29-2009, 10:25 AM

I wonder where he would have learned that?

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Marvelous find. Link?

EDIT:

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronrodgers/situationalstats?id=ROD339293

I love the internet.

Or here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?playerId=8439

BallHawk
12-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Interesting facts I got from those splits.

1. Aaron throws the majority of his interceptions on 1st down.
2. He hasn't thrown an INT on 3rd down the entire year.
3. His 3rd down passer rating numbers are ridiculous. Absolutely insane.
4. His 4th down passer rating numbers are kinda garbage.
5. His passer rating is higher when the Pack are behind than when the Pack are ahead.
6. He hasn't thrown a Red Zone INT the entire year.

Smidgeon
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Interesting facts I got from those splits.

1. Aaron throws the majority of his interceptions on 1st down.
2. He hasn't thrown an INT on 3rd down the entire year.
3. His 3rd down passer rating numbers are ridiculous. Absolutely insane.
4. His 4th down passer rating numbers are kinda garbage.
5. His passer rating is higher when the Pack are behind than when the Pack are ahead.
6. He hasn't thrown a Red Zone INT the entire year.

Here's what I posted at midseason for an analysis on how AR's playing: http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=477044#477044 It appears those trends have continued throughout the second half of the season.

I might do it again after this weekend's game, but I'm not sure anyone is interested in hearing it.

Packers4Ever
12-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Some of his drops are like ""what". Though, if we just count those drops, there are very few.

The others are more "understandable". We only get upset because we are use to him catching everything, including the spectacular one handers. Driver is fine. Same as he's always been.

I was very pleased with Grant.

RE: Donald, I think you hit it on the right spot,

Packerbacker, I know it bugs him but he'll be

just fine, :clap:

LEWCWA
12-30-2009, 12:34 AM

Just go away and talk to yourself.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-30-2009, 01:30 AM

Where did he learn it?

Noodle
12-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Ty, you are the expert at stirring shite.

But assuming you're serious with your question, and I do know what assuming will get me, I believe SC is suggesting that Rodgers learned to be off target with his first throws of the game from Favre.

Surely you remember the days when Favre was often erratic early in big games, especially against Dallas. Favre would be off, usually throwing high, for the first three or four series.

At the time, one theory was that the high crown at Texas Stadium accounted for Favre's problem, which to me was ust another example of the creativity of the Favre-Can-Do-No-Wrong crowd.

Regardless, Favre seems to have patched together a pretty good career, and I'm hoping Rodgers does the same.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Ty, you are the expert at stirring shite.

But assuming you're serious with your question, and I do know what assuming will get me, I believe SC is suggesting that Rodgers learned to be off target with his first throws of the game from Favre.

Surely you remember the days when Favre was often erratic early in big games, especially against Dallas. Favre would be off, usually throwing high, for the first three or four series.

At the time, one theory was that the high crown at Texas Stadium accounted for Favre's problem, which to me was ust another example of the creativity of the Favre-Can-Do-No-Wrong crowd.

Regardless, Favre seems to have patched together a pretty good career, and I'm hoping Rodgers does the same.

Thanx for ruining it.

Just wanted him to write what you did. At least admit that Favre had some flaws.

Packers4Ever
12-30-2009, 06:10 PM

ASAP !! :lol:

LEWCWA
01-20-2010, 12:28 AM
butter fingers could have very well cost Packers playoff game.

MOBB DEEP
01-20-2010, 01:06 AM

and not going for the ball is the REAL reason for OT int v nyg.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Joemailman
01-20-2010, 08:11 AM
The pass was so far off Driver had little chance to go for the ball.

As for drops, Donald got stripped a few times in the 2nd half of the season. He's going to have to concentrate more on covering the ball when fighting for extra yardage.

Gunakor
01-20-2010, 11:59 PM

and not going for the ball is the REAL reason for OT int v nyg.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

The real reason for that INT was an errant throw. I mean REAL bad. I'd pull the picture again, but we've all seen it a thousand times already. Brett even owned up to it in the post game presser. That one was on him and he knew it.

LEWCWA
01-24-2010, 02:14 AM
Just sayin' this was a concern of mine and it came to fruition, despite all the Drivers fine. I try not to lie to myself about my team, my kids athletic prowess, etc.. I saw it as a recurring problem and it very well could have ended Packs season.....

MJZiggy
01-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Just sayin' this was a concern of mine and it came to fruition, despite all the Drivers fine. I try not to lie to myself about my team, my kids athletic prowess, etc.. I saw it as a recurring problem and it very well could have ended Packs season.....

The problem with that theory is also that Driver's a good part of the reason we had the season we did...still quite a weapon and still takes the abuse in parts of the field where others fear to tread.

LEWCWA
01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh I agree. DD is one of the toughest sob's i've seen and a damn good player, but the last quater of the season he was really having trouble holding onto the ball.

The Leaper
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Driver still looked very good this season. He fights for every yard, and that is going to open you up to fumbles. He didn't have a great second half...you have to wonder if age played into that at all.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Ty is ready to part ways with DD.

packers11
01-25-2010, 12:24 AM

Yea 1000 yard receivers with 6 touchdowns are easy to replace... I agree, lets go pick up Taco Wallace :wink:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2010, 12:54 AM

Yea 1000 yard receivers with 6 touchdowns are easy to replace... I agree, lets go pick up Taco Wallace :wink:

Ty didn't say to cut him. Ty said he is ready to part ways. DD is getting older. We have capable receivers and more balls can be thrown to Finley.

DD has long benefited from being Bert's go to guy. That isn't the case anymore.

At some point we have to transition to our younger guys. If DD is the anti favre and accepts a reduced role, then no problem.

Lastly, Ty is disturbed by your lack of faith in jordy and jones.

P.S. There are plenty of receivers that if thrown to as much as DD would have 1000 yards.

Gunakor
01-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Driver is still clearly better than anybody below him on the depth chart. The only way I'd like him to come back in a reduced role is if we draft/sign someone better than him. We don't have anybody better than him currently on our roster that would be a better option as a #2 WR.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Driver is still clearly better than anybody below him on the depth chart. The only way I'd like him to come back in a reduced role is if we draft/sign someone better than him. We don't have anybody better than him currently on our roster that would be a better option as a #2 WR.

Don't think you can say until TC, and until they are given the shot to unseat him.

DD did not look good the 2nd half of the season.

Jones had 5 tds with less than 50% of DDs catches. Give Jones DD's balls and Ty sees him catching at least 60 passes and 800 plus yards.

At some point we have to give the younger guys the chance. Gotta make the transition. Otherwise we are retarding their growth. They may sink, but we gotta see if they can swim.

MichiganPackerFan
01-25-2010, 09:39 AM

For some reason, this post just made me hungry.

gbgary
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM

At some point we have to give the younger guys the chance. Gotta make the transition. Otherwise we are retarding their growth. They may sink, but we gotta see if they can swim.

they'll have to do it the old-fashioned way...they'll have to earn it! i wouldn't want to cut him if he's still one of the top three on the team. hasn't he already said he'd be willing to take a diminished roll on the team when it's time?

Gunakor
01-26-2010, 03:31 AM

Don't think you can say until TC, and until they are given the shot to unseat him.

DD did not look good the 2nd half of the season.

Jones had 5 tds with less than 50% of DDs catches. Give Jones DD's balls and Ty sees him catching at least 60 passes and 800 plus yards.

Give Driver Driver's catches and he's topping 1000 yards. I'm absolutely certain that Driver even at this point is a step or two ahead of Jones. And will be for a couple more seasons, the way he takes care of himself.

Jones TD's come because nobody covers him, and he has 20 yards of open field ahead of him when he catches the ball. So I don't think you can fairly judge how well Jones would do with Drivers PT since opposing DC's haven't given Jones nearly the respect they do Driver. You never ever see Driver as open as you do Jones. There's always someone on him. I think that says something.

packerbacker1234
01-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Driver arguably made more big plays in the pass game this year than Jennings.

Seriously, look at the whole season. Driver was carrying the WR's it felt for half the year. Yeah he had a case of drops the last few games, but give the guy a break. It took like half the season for Jennings to even show up.

LEWCWA
01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Driver arguably made more big plays in the pass game this year than Jennings.

Seriously, look at the whole season. Driver was carrying the WR's it felt for half the year. Yeah he had a case of drops the last few games, but give the guy a break. It took like half the season for Jennings to even show up.

This is the thing that kills discussions in here. We are discussing Driver's problems holding onto the ball, not Jennings flaws. Now Jennings is a whole nother topic. Don't get the 2 confused or throw Jennings under the bus to build up Driver.

packers11
01-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Driver gets covered by #1/2 cornerbacks...

Jones gets covered by the people we like the call "Jarret Bush"

DD has another good 1-2 years at the #2 spot, hes a workout freak...

Joemailman
01-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Great receivers don't fade away because they forget how to catch the ball. They fade away because they can no longer get open. I haven't seen that from Driver yet. He'll keep the kids out of the starting lineup for another year at least.

Smidgeon
01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Jones TD's come because nobody covers him, and he has 20 yards of open field ahead of him when he catches the ball. So I don't think you can fairly judge how well Jones would do with Drivers PT since opposing DC's haven't given Jones nearly the respect they do Driver. You never ever see Driver as open as you do Jones. There's always someone on him. I think that says something.

Are Jones' TDs coming because nobody covers him or because he's getting better at reading the soft spots in coverages? Absolutely he benefits from the attention DD and GJ get from the other teams' #1 and #2 corners, but he's a different kind of receiver. Both DD and GJ are quick speed guys who have great first steps and use their routes well, and JJ seems to be more of a fighter WR who uses his strength more than his speed. I would think someone like JJ would have to be better at reading coverages to get open because he doesn't appear to have the same fluidity or speed that DD or GJ do.

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM

Are Jones' TDs coming because nobody covers him or because he's getting better at reading the soft spots in coverages? Absolutely he benefits from the attention DD and GJ get from the other teams' #1 and #2 corners, but he's a different kind of receiver. Both DD and GJ are quick speed guys who have great first steps and use their routes well, and JJ seems to be more of a fighter WR who uses his strength more than his speed. I would think someone like JJ would have to be better at reading coverages to get open because he doesn't appear to have the same fluidity or speed that DD or GJ do.

Jones can find soft spots in coverage because he's not getting the man to man coverage and respect that Driver is getting. Driver mostly can't find a soft spot in coverage because the coverage is reacting to him. His catches and yards come from fighting through coverage, fighting through tackles. His scrappiness is what makes him our #2 WR, and the reason for the respect he's given by opposing defensive coordinators. I don't see it in Jones. Not yet anyway. I doubt if he was given DD's role he'd be nearly as productive. If he was our #2 and had to fight through man coverage and safeties rotating to his side, and break a bunch of tackles, i'd think our total offensive production would go down. I could be wrong, Jones could be right there already, but until he's put in a position to show us (which he hasn't) then I still have to go with the proven guy. Driver is still the answer as our #2 WR.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 09:51 AM

Jones can find soft spots in coverage because he's not getting the man to man coverage and respect that Driver is getting. Driver mostly can't find a soft spot in coverage because the coverage is reacting to him. His catches and yards come from fighting through coverage, fighting through tackles. His scrappiness is what makes him our #2 WR, and the reason for the respect he's given by opposing defensive coordinators. I don't see it in Jones. Not yet anyway. I doubt if he was given DD's role he'd be nearly as productive. If he was our #2 and had to fight through man coverage and safeties rotating to his side, and break a bunch of tackles, i'd think our total offensive production would go down. I could be wrong, Jones could be right there already, but until he's put in a position to show us (which he hasn't) then I still have to go with the proven guy. Driver is still the answer as our #2 WR.

Completely agree. JJ has to get his drops down. Has to focus more.