PDA

View Full Version : Warner and Woodson

The Shadow
12-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok, first of all, throw out next Sunday's game against the Cardinals - in which both teams will show very little of their playoff playbooks to each other.
But : if the Pack plays the Cardinals the following week in Round 1, - what will the Packers do with Charles, who tormented Warner in that preseason game with unexpected blitzes?
Warner and the Cardinal staff will be reviewing the game film for 2 weeks prior to the matchup, and planning.....
Most likely, Warner will be instructed to throw imm. to the area Woodson vacates, whenever the corner blitz comes.
How should the Pack counter?
Personally, I'd think hard about employing a tactic that the opposition will be specifically looking for. I'd be more inclined to simply switch up by utilizing Tramon in the same capacity from the opposite side. With attention assuredly directed toward Woodson's side, this might work rather well. Bigby might also be occasionally used.
Rattling Warner will be a huge key to the game, but to depend on what worked before just does not seem the best way to go.
What do you think?

Guiness
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
I think the Cards have to be looking at as much game film as they can find on Mathews.

Woodson is a bit of a known factor, even if he's playing out of this world right now. They're going to plan for him, but expect him to make some plays. Mathews has to have them looking for ways.

It will be interesting to see what the Pack does, or more interestingly doesn't do, on offense against them. I expect to see a lot of sweeps 8-)

pbmax
12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Blitzing a corner to the Pittsburgh 3-4 is not just about surprise, its about overload. Sending a LB and corner from the same side of the field is meant to leave one guy free (with no one available to account for him) while the other rushers engage a particular O lineman so they cannot help. So Woodson versus Tramon is a question about where the TE or RB is as much as it is about surprise.