PDA

View Full Version : Better overall situation (Vikings or Packers)

RashanGary
12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
fda

Bretsky
12-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I think it's pretty hard not to vote for the Packers here; both have good talent. The Vikes too hit gold in the draft last year.

But they lost their MLB for a while in EJ Henderson and certainly we'd rather have AROD for the next 6-10 years than Favre for another couple years max.

MOBB DEEP
12-29-2009, 12:16 AM
Pack....minny has a terrible org and redic coach who just signed extension

pack has mac the great part deux and barnett...nuff said

Bossman641
12-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Pack have as bright a future as any team in the NFL. As happy I am about this season, I am more giddy about the future.

RashanGary
12-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Ted Thompson has made magic before. Each year, we go into a season with some huge concern and each year, it seems, that concern is completely unwarranted.

A few years ago it was Safety and WR. Boom, Jennings, Collins, Bigby emerge. Then it was RB. Boom, Grant emerges. Then it was DL/OLB last year. Boom Jolly, Raji, Matthews, Jones, Chillar and BARNETT!! emerge.

This year it's OT, #4 CB, punter and depth or playmakers all over. Unlike years past, this team is poised to lock up a lot of young talent. This young talent is starting to mature into dominate veteran talent.

Cheesner, Vince, myself. . . . Many of us have argued Thompson's good talent evaluation would keep us competitive year after year but that it would ultimately have an accumulating effect with the good financial decisions and good draft picks leading to more talent fitting under the cap (even uncapped year has budgets across league) and ultimately an opportunity to have more talent than any team in the NFL. That's what we're about to hit. That window opened this year. We're still the youngest. We still haven't seen any of the accumulation effect. It's more just really good talent evaluation, but soon you're going to see the Packers take that next step. How good they are now, before that step, exudes even more confidence in me than I've ever had in the past.

Scott Campbell
12-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Pack....minny has a terrible org and redic coach who just signed extension

pack has mac the great part deux and barnett...nuff said

That's some amazing sub 4.3 speed you're using to get off the Viking bandwagon.

Badgerinmaine
12-29-2009, 08:08 AM
That's some amazing sub 4.3 speed you're using to get off the Viking bandwagon.

It may turn into a stampede after last night...

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2009, 08:40 AM
I really don't think it's that close for brighter future.

We have a massive advantage at QB for the next 5-10 yrs.

Our defense is young and playing great. MN D is fading from their glory days of recent years. It will be even worse if EJ Henderson can't come back.

pack4to84
12-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Was listen to 670 yesterday and they had the Announcer for the Vikings on. He said that Favre will keep the Viking hostage all off season just like the Packers had to endure. He said that the Vikings might be willing to wait up until the 4th game of the season.

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Was listen to 670 yesterday and they had the Announcer for the Vikings on. He said that Favre will keep the Viking hostage all off season just like the Packers had to endure. He said that the Vikings might be willing to wait up until the 4th game of the season.

I fully expect him to keep everyone hanging and the Vikes to not really care one way or the other up until camp. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft a QB next year. Personally, it didn't matter this year so why would it matter next.

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Not sure the question is worded best for me. I think both have lots of young talent. No reason Pack and Vikes shouldn't both be playoff bound next year. Pack definitely have QB settled for long term, but that's not always the going to swing things in their favor. I would expect them both to dominate the division for the next 6 years. Div winner will likely switch back and forth a few times.

SkinBasket
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
From ESPN. Answers the question.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

cheesner
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Funny!

If that wasn't a PG site, I am sure Chilly would be trying to please him in other ways.

Not even close, the Vikes have more key players who are in decline. Allen, Williams 1 and 2, are all declining. They have a few young stars, though. No tellilng if they can hit it big in the draft a few more times. Their biggest difficulty, though, is a future QB. I think having Brett around may have hurt their development.

The Packers only players who may decline are both CBs and Pickett. And we have good depth behind Pickett, not so much with the CBs. I have more confidence in TT bringing in some talent to fill these roles than I do for Minny finding talent.

ThunderDan
12-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Funny!

If that wasn't a PG site, I am sure Chilly would be trying to please him in other ways.

Not even close, the Vikes have more key players who are in decline. Allen, Williams 1 and 2, are all declining. They have a few young stars, though. No tellilng if they can hit it big in the draft a few more times. Their biggest difficulty, though, is a future QB. I think having Brett around may have hurt their development.

The Packers only players who may decline are both CBs and Pickett. And we have good depth behind Pickett, not so much with the CBs. I have more confidence in TT bringing in some talent to fill these roles than I do for Minny finding talent.

PSSTTT... Both Ts on the Pack!

gex
12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Packers for sure, and after Favre leaves the Vikings they may be in worse shape than the Lions lol

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Funny!

Jared Allen is 27. And K. Williams is 29. P. Williams plays less than 33% of the plays. And Favre hurt the development of Jackson? :shock:

sharpe1027
12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Jared Allen is 27. And K. Williams is 29. P. Williams plays less than 33% of the plays. And Favre hurt the development of Jackson? :shock:

Packers based on one factor alone: Brad Childress.

mraynrand
12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Packers for sure, and after Favre leaves the Vikings they may be in worse shape than the Lions lol

like last year?

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Ok, posting this so people can see starters and ages for Vikes and decide if they are old, young, whatever.

WR Berrian 29
WR Rice 23
QB Favre 40
WR Harvin 21
TE Shiancoe 29
RB Peterson 24
LT McKinnie 30
LG Hutchinson 32
C Sullivan 24
RG Herrera 29
RT Loadholt 23

LE Edwards 24
NT P Williams 37
UT K Williams 29
RE Allen 27
SLB Greenway 26
MLB Brinkley 24
WLB Leber 31
RCB Griffin 27
SS Johnson 24
LCB Winfield 32
FS Williams 28

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 03:15 PM

I will state again that I personally don't like Childress but compare him to MM? Stats only lean toward MM in head to head 5-3 and getting to NCC which could change this year. Or not. :wink: Chilly has trended up since he arrived. Any other opinions are not fact based.

sharpe1027
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
I will state again that I personally don't like Childress but compare him to MM? Stats only lean toward MM in head to head 5-3 and getting to NCC which could change this year. Or not. :wink: Chilly has trended up since he arrived. Any other opinions are not fact based.

This is a fact:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2009-10-30-bradchildressphotos1.jpg

mngolf19
12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Had a good image to post but, do not know how. :(

AtlPackFan
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I really don't think it's that close for brighter future.

We have a massive advantage at QB for the next 5-10 yrs.

Our defense is young and playing great. MN D is fading from their glory days of recent years. It will be even worse if EJ Henderson can't come back.

We are old at the corners and at tackle. Not sure how/if Harris returns and how many years Woodson has left...although at the level he is playing now you hope at least a few more. But there doesn't appear to be much behind these 2 and Tramon. Need to find a left tackle...Cliffy is about done. Maybe Lang is the answer at right???

SkinBasket
12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Had a good image to post but, do not know how. :(

http://www.yourimagelocation.com/favrelickingballs.jpg

ThunderDan
12-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Of course you could count playoff records!! :lol: Or the last time the teams were in the NFC championship game!! :lol:

The Leaper
12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Packers obviously are in far better shape if you are looking long term...mostly due to the QB position. Rodgers will be a top 5 QB in this league for the next 10 years, while Favre probably has only one more year left in the tank.

Both teams have some very strong young offensive stars...but I think Green Bay has far more strong young defensive stars. Over time, I think that will play out to Green Bay's advantage.

mngolf19
12-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Of course you could count playoff records!! :lol: Or the last time the teams were in the NFC championship game!! :lol:

I did. :?

ThunderDan
12-30-2009, 09:57 AM

I did. :?

Misread your post. :oops:

Still, as has been beat in to peoples heads if you don't win the Superbowl the whole year is a waste. :shock:

Under that scenario MM and Chilly are equal.

LEWCWA
12-30-2009, 02:13 PM
The Pack looks to be the team to beat the next few years. MN is staring down the gun of mediocre. QB will be a ?, their Williams wall is getting older, OL looks bad, EJ will probably never be the same(not saying much since this was his only good year). Pack has a great young front 7, and well Woodson is the only codger in the backfield....Pack has 4 recievers that would start for MN. The only place they beat us is with AP as far as I can tell. Oh wait, they may have a better punter than we do!

cheesner
12-30-2009, 02:47 PM
PSSTTT... Both Ts on the Pack! :oops: Although I think we have 1 guy who can become a tackle and maybe another, I don't think the drop off will be extreme next season. But you are right. I should have included that.

I was thinking Allen was much older. Thanks for the correction.

mngolf19
12-30-2009, 03:20 PM
The Pack looks to be the team to beat the next few years. MN is staring down the gun of mediocre. QB will be a ?, their Williams wall is getting older, OL looks bad, EJ will probably never be the same(not saying much since this was his only good year). Pack has a great young front 7, and well Woodson is the only codger in the backfield....Pack has 4 recievers that would start for MN. The only place they beat us is with AP as far as I can tell. Oh wait, they may have a better punter than we do!

OL worse than Pack? Pack has 4 receivers that would start for MN? :lol:

mraynrand
12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
EJ will probably never be the same(not saying much since this was his only good year). !

Not exactly. Henderson has been a high quality MLB. That was a huge loss for the Vikings

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2009, 03:53 PM
EJ will probably never be the same(not saying much since this was his only good year). !

Not exactly. Henderson has been a high quality MLB. That was a huge loss for the Vikings
True. EJ was playing at a high level last year and this year before getting hurt.

Thanks for the updates on the Vikes ages mngolf. They are younger than I thought.

Fritz
12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
NcKinnie's only 30? Wow. I don't know why, but I thought he was a more-than-grizzled vet.

I would say the Packers' organization is stronger. Though both seem to have good draft evaluators and cap people (two of what I think are the most important assets to have), the lack of fan support in Minnesota makes the team's future a bit cloudy (new stadium? Move? How much money do they lose?).

In other words, even if you're a Minny fan and you feel good about this season and next, you might be a bit unnerved when you hear about the team's financial situation.

Talent-wise, both teams are strong but I think the GB quarterback position is stronger, if for no other reason than Minnesota's quarterback is in his last year...or two...or three. We think. And I like Matt Flynn better than Tavaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels.

Peterson is incredible but I wonder how much pounding he can take. Grant seems the steady type on a pass-first team.

Pugger
12-31-2009, 09:50 AM
The Packers - mainly because they are set for the foreseeable future at the most important position in pro-football = QB. MN might get one more year out of the old man but after that they will still be searching for their franchise QB. If #4 decides to return for one more year after MN gets bounced out of the playoffs yet again :wink: would Sage stick around? When is Jackson's contract up? Would he stay and play for Chilly after the Ancient one retired for good? Thank God we don't have those issues. Thanks Ted! 8-)

Bretsky
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
.Pack has 4 recievers that would start for MN. The only place they beat us is with AP as far as I can tell. Oh wait, they may have a better punter than we do!

Strongly disagree

Their #3 WR is probably more talented than our #3 or #4.

Sydney Rice is close to Jennings; could argue either way
Bernard Berrion is close to Driver
Harvin is as good or better then Jones or Nelson

mngolf19
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
The Packers - mainly because they are set for the foreseeable future at the most important position in pro-football = QB. MN might get one more year out of the old man but after that they will still be searching for their franchise QB. If #4 decides to return for one more year after MN gets bounced out of the playoffs yet again :wink: would Sage stick around? When is Jackson's contract up? Would he stay and play for Chilly after the Ancient one retired for good? Thank God we don't have those issues. Thanks Ted! 8-)

I think this is Jackson's last year, although he could be stuck for another with the union contract up. Sage is signed for 2 more years after this. And I doubt he goes somewhere else if the opp for starter is here after Favre.

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
.Pack has 4 recievers that would start for MN. The only place they beat us is with AP as far as I can tell. Oh wait, they may have a better punter than we do!

Strongly disagree

I think you're both drinking Kool-aid, but of opposite colors.
* Rice isn't close to Jennings but Favre's making him look good this year. DC's and other teams scouts say Jennings is who scares them the most about the Pack. Fitzgerald says he studies Jennings to get better. Hear anyone say anything like that about Rice?
* Berrion and Driver are different types of receivers and aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. Berrion's a deep threat and Driver has great body control and his first five steps are ridiculously good but isn't a deep threat.
* I agree that Harvin is better than Jones (because Jones is so frustratingly inconsistent), but I think as a WR Nelson is close enough to Harvin (though the nod goes to Harvin who gets more opportunities because the Pack throws to Finley more and Harvin makes the best of said opportunities) to make it nearly negligible in a discussion on WRs. Throw in other duties such as kickoff return and the wildcat nonsense and Harvin wins by a long shot without a discussion.
* I don't even know who the Vike's #4 is, so I'll take GB's #4 (whoever it is) there just because of familiarity.

Bretsky
12-31-2009, 10:11 AM

Strongly disagree

I think you're both drinking Kool-aid, but of opposite colors.
* Rice isn't close to Jennings but Favre's making him look good this year. DC's and other teams scouts say Jennings is who scares them the most about the Pack. Fitzgerald says he studies Jennings to get better. Hear anyone say anything like that about Rice?
* Berrion and Driver are different types of receivers and aren't an apples-to-apples comparison. Berrion's a deep threat and Driver has great body control and his first five steps are ridiculously good but isn't a deep threat.
* I agree that Harvin is better than Jones (because Jones is so frustratingly inconsistent), but I think as a WR Nelson is close enough to Harvin (though the nod goes to Harvin who gets more opportunities because the Pack throws to Finley more and Harvin makes the best of said opportunities) to make it nearly negligible in a discussion on WRs. Throw in other duties such as kickoff return and the wildcat nonsense and Harvin wins by a long shot without a discussion.
* I don't even know who the Vike's #4 is, so I'll take GB's #4 (whoever it is) there just because of familiarity.

That Fitz comment is getting blown out of proportion. I read it as Fitz wanting to get better at YAC. Fitz is way better than Jennings

I have no idea who the Vikes #4 WR is either so I'm assuming the Pack has a huge edge there

Pugger
12-31-2009, 10:12 AM

I think this is Jackson's last year, although he could be stuck for another with the union contract up. Sage is signed for 2 more years after this. And I doubt he goes somewhere else if the opp for starter is here after Favre.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure about the situations of these two guys. :oops:

b bulldog
12-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Packers by a longshot, come on, the Packers are and always will be a better situation than the frauds from MN :lol:

Fritz
12-31-2009, 10:47 AM

Strongly disagree

Here's where we disagree most. I'd take Driver in a heartbeat, any day, over Berrian.

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
That Fitz comment is getting blown out of proportion. I read it as Fitz wanting to get better at YAC. Fitz is way better than Jennings

I have no idea who the Vikes #4 WR is either so I'm assuming the Pack has a huge edge there

Personally (and this is just opinion), I don't think the Fitzgerald comment is getting blown out of proportion. Even if you read it as Fitzgerald wanting to get better at YAC, he specifically mentions route running and catching fluidity. What I'm not saying is that Jennings is better or even equivilent to Fitzgerald. I'm saying that Jennings has an advantage over Rice as the #1 receiver based on comments from "those who'd know". Fitzgerald says he studies Jennings to improve his own play, and D-coordinators or scouts say that Jennings is the one on GB's team who scare them the most in his ability to break a game wide open. I think Jennings is a top 10 receiver, but I wouldn't go higher than that. I want to see more than one good year out of Rice (and at least one without a WR-making QB) before I say that he's at least as good as Jennings.

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM

Strongly disagree

Here's where we disagree most. I'd take Driver in a heartbeat, any day, over Berrian.

Rice has improved a lot, but he was helped by a lot of single coverage this year. I'd take Jennings. Rice is a good receiver. He's big, but he's not Larry Fitgerald. I'd take Driver over Berrian. I have to go with Harvin over Nelson or Jones. I like Jordy. I think he's going to be a very good #2 receiver for us. Harvin has been better than I expected as a receiver. Hopefully, those concussion issues don't linger. I'd take Finley over Shiancoe.

Fosco33
12-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Vikings have the edge with experience and HFA (mostly). But Brett seems to fail in big games over the last 10 years and Rodgers is untested.

I like what M3 has done over the past 8 games.

The Packers are as healthy and hot as they've been while the Vikes have key injuries and have lost some tough games.

I'd take the Packers situation - playing on the road, no one expecting you to make it... a la the Giants a few years ago.

3irty1
12-31-2009, 01:14 PM
The Vikings have more positions filled longer term than the Pack but not the most important one. Their window closes with Favre's next retirement and won't open again until his next unretirement, or another major move for a QB.

Although I personally don't think much of Berrian, with Driver gone the Vikings WR corps will probably be better long term. Their O-Line is certainly more solid although the only piece I'm really jealous of is Hutchinson who's a one-man running game.

Defensively both teams are about the same long term. Lots of young talent with a few old pro-bowlers.

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
The Vikings have more positions filled longer term than the Pack but not the most important one. Their window closes with Favre's next retirement and won't open again until his next unretirement, or another major move for a QB.

Although I personally don't think much of Berrian, with Driver gone the Vikings WR corps will probably be better long term. Their O-Line is certainly more solid although the only piece I'm really jealous of is Hutchinson who's a one-man running game.

Defensively both teams are about the same long term. Lots of young talent with a few old pro-bowlers.

I'll take the GB offense long term over the Vikes. I think Jordy will be a good #2, Finley's young and the Vike's only young position where they're far and away the best is RB. And RBs have a short shelf life. So I'll take the young QB, TE, and WR without hesitation.

mission
12-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I really hope we never have Jordy as a #2 receiver.

He is what is he. Lacks the quick-burst explosiveness. I like the guy, really do, but him as a #2 just reminds me of the WRs we had in the 90s with Favre. Just not enough.

Smidgeon
12-31-2009, 01:48 PM
I really hope we never have Jordy as a #2 receiver.

He is what is he. Lacks the quick-burst explosiveness. I like the guy, really do, but him as a #2 just reminds me of the WRs we had in the 90s with Favre. Just not enough.

I don't know about that. He was extremely effective in college. I think he's a good route runner with great top end speed. No, he'll never be flashy, but he's definitely a cut above the Bill Schroeders of the world.

Lurker64
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I think the Packers are clearly in the better position going forward for the simple reason that in a year, or two, the Vikings will be looking for a starting QB again. The old man has done well for them this year, but either in this offseason or the next when he retires for good or goes looking for greener pastures, they'll be right back where they started this year, before Chilly picked up the old man at the airport. Jackson and Ferotte could be adequate starters if they could become more consistent, reduce correctable mistakes, and the Vikings Offense could return to what it was two years ago (e.g. A mauling run team). But there's a lot of ifs in that situation, and it looks to me that the Vikings will be looking for their QB of the future in this draft or the next and they won't be in position to grab one of the guys who doesn't have a lot of question marks about his professional potential, unless they sell the farm to move up a lot to grab a Clausen or a Locker.

These teams are close enough in overall talent that it really comes down to the fact that one team is confident that if everything goes well, they have their starting QB who will be playing at a high level for the next decade while the other team in question knows for a fact that their current starting QB will not be playing at a high level for the next decade, and the guys beneath him on the depth chart are a big downgrade.

One thing I'm interested in is that the Vikings offense has become so pass-centric this year, how much of a step back does it take when the Old Man heads off to wherever he goes when he's done with a team?

HarveyWallbangers
12-31-2009, 02:25 PM

Many scouts believe Hutchinson's play has dropped off considerably this year, and he's getting old. McKinnie is solid but overrated. Loadholdt has been good for a rookie, but not a world beater. Herrera is average. I don't know what they have in Sullivan. Their OL generally is vastly overrated. Well, it was until the last couple of weeks.

mngolf19
01-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I think the Packers are clearly in the better position going forward for the simple reason that in a year, or two, the Vikings will be looking for a starting QB again. The old man has done well for them this year, but either in this offseason or the next when he retires for good or goes looking for greener pastures, they'll be right back where they started this year, before Chilly picked up the old man at the airport. Jackson and Ferotte could be adequate starters if they could become more consistent, reduce correctable mistakes, and the Vikings Offense could return to what it was two years ago (e.g. A mauling run team). But there's a lot of ifs in that situation, and it looks to me that the Vikings will be looking for their QB of the future in this draft or the next and they won't be in position to grab one of the guys who doesn't have a lot of question marks about his professional potential, unless they sell the farm to move up a lot to grab a Clausen or a Locker.

These teams are close enough in overall talent that it really comes down to the fact that one team is confident that if everything goes well, they have their starting QB who will be playing at a high level for the next decade while the other team in question knows for a fact that their current starting QB will not be playing at a high level for the next decade, and the guys beneath him on the depth chart are a big downgrade.

One thing I'm interested in is that the Vikings offense has become so pass-centric this year, how much of a step back does it take when the Old Man heads off to wherever he goes when he's done with a team?

Probably do what you mentioned, they will change the offense again to match the QB they have(whoever that is). I expect them to draft one again this year and then cut bait with Jackson unless he has improved in some way that isn't visible due to lack of playing time.

To me, if anyone thinks either of these teams is going to run away with the division year after year, they're smoking something. I expect very close and back and forth for the next 6-8 years. Now CBA change or MN not coming through with a stadium could very well change that.

LEWCWA
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Strongly disagree

I understand what your saying about Harvin, but he is what he is. They are using him perfectly. He is a great playmaking slot type reciever. If he had to lineup in a bunch of 2 rec. sets as the #2 he wouldn't be nearly as productive, thus my statement. I believe all 4 of our rec. would start for them....over BB.